• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macronix: We will provide memory products for NX

Ryng_tolu

Banned
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/692763133811781632

CZ0wZh_WcAA2EU3.jpg

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Übermatik;193579796 said:
C A R T R I D G E S !

Solid state media is superior so I'd be fine with this, Nintendo must have found some cost savings to be had if they're really doing this for both form factors, cause consumers will not pay more for cards than larger PS4/XB1 discs.

Just don't expect them to be physically larger than 3DS cards/carts so don't get N64 images in your head.

Yes. No disc drive.

Possibly no HDMI out either although they could find another manufacturer for an HDMI controller. Handheld only this year? As long as whatever it is is not digital only (I know Macronix developed DS and 3DS cards) then it's all good. I was fine with discs but if this can work for console again too....good.

Thraktor

...No Panasonic.

Panasonic provided both the discs and disc drives for the GC, Wii, and Wii U. I believe they also provided the HDMI controller on Wii U as well.

Something is up...

There's also no AMD (who are all but confirmed to be providing the SoC for at least the home console) and no Samsung (who are likely to provide the eMMC flash chips), and no Texas Instruments (who provide a variety of minor ICs in all Nintendo hardware), etc, etc.

It's not a complete list of suppliers, just those that the author's sources reported as providing components.

Edit: Also note that it's not a new piece of info, it's from a Digitimes report from November. The Macronix news seems to corroborate it, though.

Nishoku
Nishoku Technology Inc. is a Taiwan-based company engaged in the design, development, manufacture and distribution of plastic molds and plastic injection components. The Company's plastic molds and plastic injection components include caps, case fronts, mouse lenses, holder displays, keypads, calculator buttons, battery bottoms, handles, remote controllers, interphone buttons and digital album covers, among others. Its products are applied in communications products, information products, consumer electronics and household products, such as mobile phones, global position system (GPS) equipment, game consoles, notebook computers, computer peripherals, office equipment and others.

Pixart
PixArt was founded in July 1998 specializing in CMOS image sensors and related IC design, research, production, and Sales. PixArt has extensive experience in analog IC , image sensor IC designing, and image-processing algorithm IC design, and currently one of the leading global providers of CMOS image sensors.

Lingsen

LINGSEN PRECISION INDUSTRIES, LTD. is a Taiwan-based company principally engaged in the packaging, processing, testing and distribution of integrated circuits (ICs) and various semiconductor components. The Company operates its businesses through packaging and testing of ICs and semiconductor products, including small outline package (SOP), shrink small outline package (SSOP), thin small outline package (TSOP), thin shrink small outline package (TSSOP), plastic leadless chip carrier (PLCC), quad flat package (QFP), thin quad flat package (TQFP) services, as well as photo detect ICs (PD-ICs), among others. Its products are applied in the consumer electronics, automobile electronic products, memory products, communication equipment and power management products.

Coxon
COXON PRECISE INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD is a Taiwan-based manufacturer of plastic components of computer, consumer electronic and communication (3C) products. The Company provides communication device parts, including cell phone enclosures and global positioning system (GPS) casings; computer parts, including disk drive casings and components; consumer electronic product parts, including digital camera casings; office machine parts, including printer components and multi-function business machine components, as well as automobile optical parts, among others. The Company also involves in the manufacture and distribution of molds, as well as the trading of raw materials.

Jentech

Jentech Precision Industrial Co., Ltd is a Taiwan-based company principally engaged in the manufacture and sale of heat spreaders and lead frames. The Company is also involved in the production of electronic peripherals, communication equipment and the related accessories. The Company's main products include semiconductor lead frames used in monitors, traffic signs, stoplights, backlight boards and others; heat spreaders used in advanced integrated circuit (IC) packages and semiconductor devices; electro-magnetic interference (EMI) shielding cases used in wireless communication products such as laptops, mobile phones, personal digital assistants (PDAs) and others, as well as high frequency coaxial connectors primarily applied in radar and microwave communication systems.

Re: Pixart

This is one of the most interesting suppliers to me, as they provide the IR camera in the Wii Remote and also provide a wide variety of optical and laser sensors for everything from gesture tracking to pulse detection.

Don't tease me with the vitality sensor...

They'll bring it back some day! I know they will. There was also that patent from issued to a Nintendo employee that used a linear optical sensor for the same purpose.

Anyway, interesting in that it appears Nintendo are sticking with ROM in the NX (handheld at least). This may put to rest some of the speculation that they have created a new flash-based medium.

Re: Pixart

This is one of the most interesting suppliers to me, as they provide the IR camera in the Wii Remote and also provide a wide variety of optical and laser sensors for everything from gesture tracking to pulse detection.
Hmm... any idea if the n3DS uses them for head tracking?

AzaK

Maybe you can download games on your console, then put them on a cartridge so you can play on your handheld.

What I'd like to see (Not that I'm interested in handhelds) is make the console take cartridges also. Buy one game, play on both. With digital downloads, can download to either system to play.

I wonder how the "hardcore" crowd will react to cartridge based console games?
I'm sure many will assume cartridge=bad

We know they can last years and save games would be on the machine itself now I'd imagine so no need for battery backup. The only things that would bother me is if significantly affects price and throughput speed. I'm not sure how fast that sort of ROM goes.

Davey Cakes

Could just be the handheld unit, but cartridges are rumored to come back based on the patents
Do any of the patents have anything involving discs at all?

I know that patents aren't representative of the final product but the one that shows a system without an optical drive seems like good enough evidence that console cartridges will return.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just to clarify, in that tweet Zhuge is just quoting what said in the second Digitimes rumour article about NX. You know, the one where they revised down their shipment forecast from 20 to 12 millions

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151130PD203.html

It's not something new. But, again, since it seems the first Digitimes article was the first piece of news explicitly stating how Macronix is involved with NX production, we could assume their sources can be close enough to the real picture (shipments forecasts aside).

Do any of the patents have anything involving discs at all?

I know that patents aren't representative of the final product but the one that shows a system without an optical drive seems like good enough evidence that console cartridges will return.

Well, that patent mentions compatibility with another console which includes an optical drive. It also only mentions a card reader in the context of providing OS updates. Game data would be downloaded over a network and stored on an internal HDD. People kind of read "cartridges" into that whole thing without going through the text. Could've just been a Wii U slim even.

asagami_

Banned
What I'd like to see (Not that I'm interested in handhelds) is make the console take cartridges also. Buy one game, play on both. With digital downloads, can download to either system to play.

giphy.gif

I have thinking the same about a few months ago and I think this feature would be very awesome. Maybe there will be games that only will run in the NX console, maybe others only will run (or will have more sense to play) on NX handled, but if a large porcentage of games will to run on both platforms with similar performances (maybe different specs) they kill two birds with a stone: they appeal both the japanese and no-japanese audience and don't develope the same game (specially multiplayer titles) twice.

Ogodei

3rd parties would revolt in face of cartridges though. Nintendo with their ~5 or less GB games wouldn't care as much, but it would categorically block stuff like the next Watch Dogs (as low of chances as Nintendo has getting stuff like that off the bat anyway)

Morts

3rd parties would revolt in face of cartridges though. Nintendo with their ~5 or less GB games wouldn't care as much, but it would categorically block stuff like the next Watch Dogs (as low of chances as Nintendo has getting stuff like that off the bat anyway)

They could always put 5GB on the card then make you download the other 40GB once you put it in your NX.

Top Bottom