• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Rags is.
and he was actually decently fun with IM40 and starlord :p

that is it for red green blue characters though.

and plenty of characters that only get two colors charged are way better than riri.

Not disputing that. But she's still not a bad option when boosted, especially if you're like me and you care more about having multiple options (less health pack usage) than doing every node quickly. To use last week as a specific example, she was the only boosted 4* that even had 2 colors charged. And I was actually using her with Gwenpool and Kate to get a little more color coverage.

Edit: And I think you might be the only person I've seen have any fun with Rags, even with super-cheap Starlord powers.

zulux21

Edit: And I think you might be the only person I've seen have any fun with Rags, even with super-cheap Starlord powers.

when rags is boosted his powers aren't horrible.

and I actually had more fun with him starlord and 4 star cyclops.

in that case his red creates blue equal to its cost and then cyclops can use the blue to get more red. it was just fun massive board destroy :p

hopefully rags gets updated again though as he has suffered from the nerf stick for long enough.

MiTYH

Damn, finally beat the Fury v Magneato. 2/2/2 didn't give a lot of levels. But through some lucky cascades I beat it. Got my fourth 4-cap Marvel cover (first green, now full coverage at least)

zulux21

Damn, finally beat the Fury v Magneato. 2/2/2 didn't give a lot of levels. But through some lucky cascades I beat it. Got my fourth 4-cap Marvel cover (first green, now full coverage at least)

ill find out what I got in a few days.

waiting to pull anything until spiderwoman leaves at this point.

I had a surplus of HP, so I actually bought a vintage heroic 40 pack. Got five 4 stars, so not bad. Lot of 2 & 3 star champ rewards.

I've been using mine on the H4H covers. Just bought Star-Lord yesterday to take him to 4/3/5. Now I've got a while to build up what I need to get covers for my 5/2/5 Quake and 5/2/5 (Bobby) Drake.

Dalek

I've been using mine on the H4H covers. Just bought Star-Lord yesterday to take him to 4/3/5. Now I've got a while to build up what I need to get covers for my 5/2/5 Quake and 5/2/5 (Bobby) Drake.

I've decided to stop buying the daily deals and save up for these too-for the ones I'm missing out on, like Moon Knight, Kate and Bucky.

zulux21

starlord is amazing with a single goon node in play (that places tiles)

I only have him cyclops and ice man champed. I went with cyclops over peggy just because my daily log ins had me getting cyclops covers.

carol is my next 4* to champ assuming I get her covers.

maybe hulkbuster after that since I would like to switch him off 5/3/5 to 5/5/3

after that we will have to see. Grocket would be fun I think, but he needs a number of covers. he will likely become my bonus hero after carol though. then either medusa or wasp would be next to build ASAP.

or maybe teen jean since a single cover of hers will finish her since she is 4/4/4 right now.

looking I have 10 4* ready to be champed
and 8.5 more 1 cover away from being champed (the .5 is gwenpool whom I will get a cover for this event and will become 1 away)

so I guess I just need to keep grinding for iso to champ them especially if scaling is going to change :p.

either way I will likely only champ someone when I have over 500k iso (aside from carol who is getting levels as soon as I get covers :p)

worst case I have 3 sellable 2 star champs and over 100 tacos stored up.

zulux21

I favorited Moon Knight, but like Coulson the only covers RNG gives me are the ones I already have 5 of.

I have a couple to favorite that I really want, and then from there I will worry about others. I figure finishing new characters I want ASAP needs to be top priority so I can get the most champ levels from a character as possible.

Hulkbuster I probably champ as soon as I get the covers as I have him at 3/3/5, which is going to suck no matter what the last 2 covers end up being. Right now, though, I'm focusing bonus heroes on people that are least likely to give me covers I can't use (had it at Moon Knight until today, when he finally gave me a 5th green [2/2/5 now]). Thinking about setting it to Star-Lord to try to get that last cover, but I'd rather wait on that until I have some more ISO stored up. So it'll probably be a lower covered character that I know I won't want/have to champ soon.

zulux21

Hulkbuster I probably champ as soon as I get the covers as I have him at 3/3/5, which is going to suck no matter what the last 2 covers end up being. Right now, though, I'm focusing bonus heroes on people that are least likely to give me covers I can't use (had it at Moon Knight until today, when he finally gave me a 5th green [2/2/5 now]). Thinking about setting it to Star-Lord to try to get that last cover, but I'd rather wait on that until I have some more ISO stored up. So it'll probably be a lower covered character that I know I won't want/have to champ soon.

personally I would likely just make 3 star star lord my only 3 star bonus hero and run with that when you can.

it wouldn't take super long to get yours from your current 2/3/3 to level 183 (aka you just need 22 covers) and would for sure avoid any duplicate covers as his first one gives you red.

if I recall right you should be able to do that in a few days.

personally I would likely just make 3 star star lord my only 3 star bonus hero and run with that when you can.

it wouldn't take super long to get yours from your current 2/3/3 to level 183 (aka you just need 22 covers) and would for sure avoid any duplicate covers as his first one gives you red.

if I recall right you should be able to do that in a few days.

You're right. Also, there's a good chance that he'll be the 3* reward for Shield Sim next season, so that's hopefully another 3 covers as well. Right now I have Loki as my 3* bonus hero to finish Eddie Brock.

zulux21

time for some more doc oc.
5* incoming.

The first power is called Superior Science and it costs 10 Black AP. For this power Doctor Octopus works on a new invention, grabbing hostages, forcing them to work before tossing them away. This power stuns the target and creates a Countdown tile. While on the board, it stuns the target each turn. When it expires, the target takes damage and it creates Strike tiles.

The second power is called Tentacles and costs eight Blue AP to have Doc Ock's tentacles lashing out constantly. If he has fewer than four on the board, Doc Ock creates a Tentacle tile. Then he deals damage for each Tentacle tile he controls. This power also has a Passive that triggers at the start of each turn. If Doctor Octopus is stunned, his tentacles make a match for his team for each Tentacle tile he controls.

The last power costs 13 Green AP and is called Cunning Scheme. Doctor Octopus generously creates a nuclear reactor to power the city, but secretly rigs it to blow. Place a 10-turn Nuclear Reactor Countdown tile on the board that deals damage to each enemy.

The power then becomes Phase 2 and costs eight Green AP. Doctor Octopus's generator powers hospitals. Upgrade the Nuclear Reactor tile to give a burst of health to each friendly character each turn. This power also has a Passive ability that if the reactor is matched it gains 11 Green AP. If it's destroyed, this power becomes Cunning Scheme. After using the eight Green AP this power then becomes Phase 3.

Now when this power becomes Phase 3, it costs six Green AP. This power upgrades the Nuclear Reactor tile so that it deals damage to each enemy each turn. There is a Passive that if the Reactor is matched it [gains] 14 Green AP and if it's destroyed, this power becomes Cunning Scheme again. If the player is able to spend the six Green AP, this power becomes Final Phase.

Final Phase is a Passive! All his work has led Doctor Octopus to this perfect moment. If Doc Ock's Nuclear Reactor is matched away when its timer reaches ”1," he wins the battle! If Doc Ock's Nuclear Reactor is matched at another time, gain 18 Green AP. If it's destroyed, this power becomes Cunning Scheme.

0Y5AzHX.png

hmmmm he could be interesting or he could be trying to do way to much... not sure yet.

I will find out in 10-20 years when I finally fully cover him :p

Cunning Scheme sounds really cool, but you're honestly never going to get that to go off unless you're at the end of a wave node or have used IM40 Recharge a couple times in the match with no Green user. It basically takes 27 Green AP to get to Final Phase, and you have to protect it for 9 turns. With all that, it should at least be fortified (which it doesn't look like it is right now). If not at the initial cast, during one of the phase changes would work as well.

Carnage, Medusa and Mr. Fantastic in Balance of Power is just pure evil. I'm loving it.

That is a great/awful defensive team. Which means I'm definitely using it instead of shielding when I get to that point. If I had better coverage on my Carnage (5/1/0 right now), I'd actually use it as a workable offensive team.

KuroNeeko

Hey, guys!

Just pulled my first Kamala and she seems pretty good. Are there any good "bread-and-butter" picks for teammates in 2* / 3* land?

zulux21

That is a great/awful defensive team. Which means I'm definitely using it instead of shielding when I get to that point. If I had better coverage on my Carnage (5/1/0 right now), I'd actually use it as a workable offensive team.

I can't quite get it working well either.
My fantastic and carnage are likely okay
but my medusa still needs a serious boost.

ideally when I empty my hoard I will get at least one more medusa yellow to make that one work.
Hey, guys!

Just pulled my first Kamala and she seems pretty good. Are there any good "bread-and-butter" picks for teammates in 2* / 3* land?

2* land
storm + mags + hawkeye is my go to 2* team.

3* land
iron man 40 + anyone that uses red or blue or green.
IF + anyone that uses black

Personally I like to run Kamala with Iron man 40 and Mags or Captain america 3*

I can't quite get it working well either.
My fantastic and carnage are likely okay

but my medusa still needs a serious boost.

Without the green I can still win matches using Carnage's red, but it's a bit of a slog offensively. But even without it, it's basically a troll team defensively.

Edit: And this reminds me that they really should expand the Fantastic 4 designation to include people that have been with the team, even if only for a short amount of time (She-Hulk and Medusa for starters).

zulux21

huh

I was hoping to get the gwenpool cover but didn't think I actually would.

not a bad event for me as my gwenpool has gone from 5/5/1 to 5/5/3.

don't know how worth it she is to champ, will have to see how many covers for her I get. but at the very least her purple and green don't seem horrible.

huh

I was hoping to get the gwenpool cover but didn't think I actually would.

not a bad event for me as my gwenpool has gone from 5/5/1 to 5/5/3.

don't know how worth it she is to champ, will have to see how many covers for her I get. but at the very least her purple and green don't seem horrible.

Green is really good when boosted (3x9K for 10AP is pretty good as is, but the fact that it compresses down if there are less enemies probably makes it my favorite AOE in the game).

zulux21

fun news

webbed wonder event info

Webbed Wonder

General
Starts - Thu, 7:00 am EDT June 1
Ends - Monday, 2:00 am EDT June 5
Updated art to include Doctor Octopus (Classic)
Last progression reward was replaced with a token to the Privileged Intellect Legendary Cover Store
Case Closed
Last repeatable mission in the Swipe Left chapter of Webbed Wonder
Wave Mission
Rewards a random cover of Howard the Duck
Doc Ock Showdown!
Mission against Doctor Octopus (Classic)
Unlocks after completing Case Closed in the Swipe Left of Webbed Wonder
Rewards a token to the Privileged Intellect Legendary Cover Store
Privileged Intellect Legendary Cover Store
10% chance for a Doctor Octopus (Classic) cover
90% chance at the latest 4-Stars
Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

and fortified tile changes

(these are already in game)

Previously, Fortify tiles functioned very similarly to Locked tiles in that matching the tile did not do damage, give the player AP, or activate tiles that have effects when matched or removed. In R127, we expanded the use of Fortify tiles to increase their value and make them more versatile.

Matching a fortified tile will behave as if you matched tile, but it will not be destroyed. This means that any tile that activates when matched will now be able to be matched twice! We are excited to design powers in the future to further take use of these changes.

Below is a list of some of the Trap and Countdown tiles that will be directly impacted by these changes:

Trap tiles
Daredevil (Man Without Fear)'s Ambush Trap tile - Deals damage, creates an Ambush Trap tile, and the original Trap tile remains
Nick Fury (Director of S.H.I.EL.D.)'s Demolition Trap tile - All trap tiles are removed (no change. The destruction of the Trap tiles happens after the match has been made)
Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)'s To Love and Fear Trap tile - Deals damage and the Trap tile remains
Countdown tiles
Medusa (Inhuman Queen)'s Entanglement Countdown tile - Create 2 Attack tiles and the Countdown tile remains.
Daredevil (Man Without Fear)'s Billy Club - Gain AP and the Countdown tile remains.
Rocket and Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2)'s Atomic Bomb Countdown tile - Deal Damage to the enemy team, your team, and the Countdown tile remains.
Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force)'s Countdown for What Countdown tile - Deals damage and the Countdown tile remains

I didn't know you could fortify traps o_O

also I think daredevil and 5* hawkeye might be stupid together.

Hawkeye stays cool under pressure and hits his targets. Whenever a friendly Countdown tile reaches 0 Gain 3 Blue, 2 Red AP. Fortify 3 Countdown tiles at start of turn.

Daredevil's Billy Club ricochets from target to target, striking his enemies with amazing accuracy. Stuns the target for 1 turn and creates a 3-turn Countdown tile that stuns for 2 turns, then creates a new Billy Club Countdown tile. If you match it, Daredevil catches his club and gains 3 Blue AP.

With hawkeye fortifying them you can constantly match daredevil's billy club.
when it runs out you also get 3 blue ap.
and it creates a new one meaning that you could get a ton of clubs going at once that will just generate shit tons of blue for hawkeye :p

Dalek

I hope I get a Howard cover I don't already have 5 covers of.

Oh! There's a yellow Coulson cover in the rewards!! Finally.

zulux21

But the forum is all talking about how great it is with 20 minute roflstomp clears /s
the level cap itself isn't bad (for SCL7) but the new rewards are poopy.

in other thoughts friday should be fun.

72 tacos
5 latest legends pulls
12 classic legend pulls.

and what ever the hell I get for all the champ rewards from that tacos (and maybe even the 4* pulls as if I get the covers I will be champing Carol)

But the forum is all talking about how great it is with 20 minute roflstomp clears /s

If I'd dropped down to 7, this would be a cakewalk. I decided to stay at 8, and it's, at best, a little bit harder (starts about 50-70 levels higher, ends about 10 levels higher than before). Still of the opinion that this is a better system, but it needs tweaking (primarily just toning down 8 and introducing 9 at around where 8 is now, if not a little higher).

zulux21

If I'd dropped down to 7, this would be a cakewalk. I decided to stay at 8, and it's, at best, a little bit harder (starts about 50-70 levels higher, ends about 10 levels higher than before). Still of the opinion that this is a better system, but it needs tweaking (primarily just toning down 8 and introducing 9 at around where 8 is now, if not a little higher).

see that seems right for the shield clearence based enemies.
but 5 clears for max progression is still stupid.

I mean I did it because I was bored while watching tv, but it's not a good thing in general.

Spoit

The problem isn't the difficulty, it's that it's pretty much impossible to compete with someone doing a 20 minute clear, when you need an hour+ each side

zulux21

I just want to spend less time playing the game. It's frustrating to take more time to get the same rewards.

really I think the 5 clears thing might be alright if they removed placement period and added all of those rewards to the progression as well.

but they won't do that.

I understand that they needed to add some more rewards for those who were grinding for placement.

but they could have just added more at the end with more tokens and what not, not moved the CP farther down.

The problem isn't the difficulty, it's that it's pretty much impossible to compete with someone doing a 20 minute clear, when you need an hour+ each side

Not a problem for me because I don't try to get top 10. It's always been not worth the amount of effort required. And there's not enough people dropping down to legitimately effect people's chances at top 50.

And yes, moving some of the rewards down past 4 clears was a dick move. But that's a separate argument.

zulux21

Not a problem for me because I don't try to get top 10. It's always been not worth the amount of effort required. And there's not enough people dropping down to legitimately effect people's chances at top 50.

I did 6 full clears in the first 2 rounds of this PVE, and 5 clears in the last round and there is a good chance I won't get a top 50 >.>

in other thoughts.

who is the best 5* to favorite?

I currently have hawkeye Favorited, as he looks like he could be fun but should i maybe do thanos instead?
or maybe black bolt as I don't have his black at all.

Top Bottom