• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

plainr_

Maybe like this? Doubles as an extended battery pack. :)

05SLd.jpg

Beth Cyra

NomarTyme said:
Nintendo already fucked the early adopters, it would be a shocker if they do it again.
This is one mindset I don't understand.

It's sucks, hell I went and picked one up at the midnight launch but the thing wasn't selling as well as they needed.

Do people feel like they should of continued to let themselves be ran into the ground just to appease the few people that bought it? And give themselves less time to push for more of the market before more competition comes in?

P90

ZoddGutts said:
Did Nintendo ever explained as to why the 3DS didn't get a 2nd analog stick?

Has Nintendo ever made a controller with a decnt 2nd analog stick? The GCN's right stick was a joke.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
This is what I've been waiting for. Hopefully it's true and they make the redesign with a second analog.

plainr_ said:
Maybe like this? Doubles as an extended battery pack. :)

05SLd.jpg

Hm... that would kind of work with a few fastners. And it would be plugged into the A/C which would keep it secure. Can any information be transmitted through the A/C port to communicate with cradles etc?

watershed

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Heh. I imagine the next four parts will be just as riveting...
part 2: Iwata resigns, Miyamoto retires. Part 3: Reggie promoted to president. Part 4: Wii U scrapped. Part 5: Partnership with Apple CONFIRMED!!! It will be more than riveting.......

Boney

Banned
Heavy said:
So they're just going to make up a bunch of shit? They got the exact Vita specs before anybody and also Wii U. It sounds like people are in denial here. They didn't just get a couple minor things right, they got two significant reveals.
Or they were fed bogus information.

Sounds like people are in denial here because it would go in a complete opposite against Nintendo's usual MO. And people please spare me the infinite revision arguments.

There's gotta be no way this shit is true. How the hell would you make an accessory that is even remotely possible for owners of this current 3DS. How bout you just wait it out a few more months and see how the system does with games that, you know, actually sell?

Somnid

I love a good reverse troll thread. It's like people want to be vindicated so badly they'll believe this stuff.

Boney said:
Or they were fed bogus information.

Sounds like people are in denial here because it would go in a complete opposite against Nintendo's usual MO. And people please spare me the infinite revision arguments.

Seriously, anyone who thinks this would solve whatever branding issues 3DS currently has, rather than just exacerbating them, hasn't really thought this through.

cacildo said:
The 3ds should be a cell phone.

Aside from this stupid opinion, i have one question: remember when we saw the 3ds in e32010 and we all (me) said "wow, that´s a buckload of 3rd party support"

What tha hell happened with that?
Everyone cancelled their games after seeing 3DS sales.

RaijinFY

The bit describing their relationship of the development community is really worrying if true (and quite frankly, i have confidence that part of the article is true). It doesnt bode well at all for WiiU if they keep like that.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Am I the only person who thinks the 3DS doesn't need a second analog stick?

Niks

If this turns to be true, man, the shitstorm on GAF will be legendary.
I give it a 50/50 chance of being true.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dacvak said:

I don't think it needs it but it could be nice.

I haven't used a second analog stick-packing controller for an extended period of time in a while though, so it doesn't really bother me. IMO I don't understand why the d-pad couldn't be used to control the camera in a pinch.

Unicorn

Dacvak said:
I would agree, as long as there's no FPS games. Metroid Prime Hunters taught me how hard the touch screen can cause my hand to cramp. Fuck trying to snipe with a touch screen and a tiny ass pen the size of a bobby pin.

infinityBCRT said:

Exactly which 3DS games that we know of were cancelled due to poor hardware sales?

(the correct answer is none)

The major Japanese third party games that were announced in 2010, save MML3, are all still coming, albeit mostly not until next year.

L00P

artwalknoon said:
part 2: Iwata resigns, Miyamoto retires. Part 3: Reggie promoted to president. Part 4: Wii U scrapped. Part 5: Partnership with Apple CONFIRMED!!! It will be more than riveting.......
I think I just had a heart attack

Dacvak said:
No, there's literally nothing you can do with a thumbstick that couldn't be better accomplished using either the touch screen or gyros.

Somnid

Dacvak said:

No. I'd love to see devs use a system to create unique gameplay rather than relying on overdone UI crutches. Then again I was also around for the launch of the DS with SM64DS and Rayman 2 and people swore up and down that it needed an analog stick and that the PSP would kill it as a result.

infinityBCRT said:
Nah. Most canceled way before that.

Saint's Row was changed from "basically the XBLA game" to "something more casual friendly" to just completely dropped. Assassin's Creed was cannibalized for the sake of the console game.

MML3 may have been about 3DS sales, but ZXA failed to hit a quarter million on the market leading system so it was likely more about the Mega Man brand.

Dacvak said:
yes. as a satisfied and proud owner of both a ds and a 3ds, i also cannot help but wonder why nintendo releases handhelds in which ports to it from similar in power previous home consoles can only be done in a rather gimped way:

snes-->gba
--snes has four face buttons, gba missing four face buttons

n64-->ds
--n64 has analog stick, ds missing analog stick

gc-->3ds
--gc has two analog sticks, 3ds missing 2nd analog stick

it's something i've never really understood. it would only make porting that much easier, which in turn would nintendo to rake in more of the green stuff.

TruePrime said:
This is one mindset I don't understand.

It's sucks, hell I went and picked one up at the midnight launch but the thing wasn't selling as well as they needed.

Do people feel like they should of continued to let themselves be ran into the ground just to appease the few people that bought it? And give themselves less time to push for more of the market before more competition comes in?
While Nintendo should've included a 2nd stick in the first place adding one isn't going to change things drastically. There isn't going to be a significant amount of people that run out and go buy the 3DS because they included a second stick and I highly doubt people are avoiding the 3DS because of the optional 3D either.

We aren't sure 100% how things will go this holiday season but there seems to be no indication that 3DS will do any worse than the Gamecube did. Signs are pointing to it being better than the GCN. I don't think adding a 2nd stick and completely rebranding the system is worth the tradeoff of pissing off and scaring away a lot of customers.

However, prior to the 3DS price cut anouncement I wouldn't have believed someone if they told me Nintendo was going to cut the price by $70, offer 20 free games and sell the system at a loss either. That and with the Wii U being a confusing clusterfuck of things I wish I could say with 100% certainty Nintendo wouldn't do this. As of right now I'm only 95% certain Nintendo wouldn't do this.

Instro

ShockingAlberto said:
Nah. Most canceled way before that.

Saint's Row was changed from "basically the XBLA game" to "something more casual friendly" to just completely dropped. Assassin's Creed was cannibalized for the sake of the console game.

MML3 may have been about 3DS sales, but ZXA failed to hit a quarter million on the market leading system so it was likely more about the Mega Man brand.
Inafune leaving probably had something to do with MML3 being canned as well.

WillyFive

Andrex said:
According to our source, Nintendo is well aware that it has so far failed to convince the public that its 3D display technology was harmless.

They were the ones that introduced the idea in the first place!

They were the ones that said it was harmful to children, despite the American Orthopedist Association putting out a statement saying it wasn't.

Tuck

Dacvak said:

The touch screen might suffice for most games. Would be better if it didn't need a stylus though, I think (That way the camera could be controlled by the finger)

Dacvak said:

I don't think it does either. I mean, SMG didn't use one and it worked perfectly fine. Mario64 DS didn't have one at all and it was perfectly fine. There's probably other examples, but these two are the ones I think of right away. Really, left handed people are the ones who should have the problem with it.

dream

What if Nintendo scraps the 3DS entirely and launches this rumored model as an entirely new platform instead? That would eliminate fragmentation and it's not like they have that many 3DS owners to worry about pissing off.

Also: holy cartoon avatars!

Javier

If true (chances being 0.00001%), then it will be bundled with the only 3DS game EVER that will use the second analog stick in mandatory form.

Grisby said:
I'm just saying that Nintendo always comes up with a new design for their handhelds. They've constantly redesigned their hardware more then any other company I know of. Not a bad thing by any means.
There were more PlayStation revisions than N64. Nore for PS2 than GC. More for PS3 than Wii. More for PSP than any Nintendo handheld ever.

So I guess you've never heard of Sony then?

Madao

this rumor seems too ridiculous to be true.

such an add-on would make using the system a pain in the ass. how would you grab it efficiently like dual analog controllers?

if nintendo really wants to redesign the console so badly, they should outright make a new one and leave the 3DS as it is. the 3DS can have a 2-3 year cycle and then they can bring their new hardware with all the fixes they want. the GBC lasted that long and people were happy.

Andrex said:
This information corroborates several elements we obtained very recently from various sources. According to them, Nintendo is currently preparing a new 3DS for a 2012 release. This new version would radically tone down the whole “3D“ angle, with a new design and even probably a different name.

once again the early adopters get screwed :(

Septimius

Willy105 said:
They were the ones that introduced the idea in the first place!

They were the ones that said it was harmful to children, despite the American Orthopedist Association putting out a statement saying it wasn't.

What? This just can't be true.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
nincompoop said:
No, there's literally nothing you can do with a thumbstick that couldn't be better accomplished using either the touch screen or gyros.

Kid Icarus would be wayyyy better with a 2nd stick.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If the attachment is well made, I don't see the problem. Even more, it would improve the 3ds.

Or is much of GAF isn't even reading the thread title correctly and thinking this will phase out the 3ds totally?

Emitan

Septimius said:
What? This just can't be true.
It is. There's no link at all. Nintendo, being themselves, told everyone not to let children use 3D because it can cause harm. Then the media states that the 3DS can cause harm. Then Nintendo said that it doesn't. What the fuck.

Orayn said:
I assume it's a demand for one screen, vertical layout, and no analog controls or 3D graphics.
I would buy it if it had a great d-pad.

watershed

Banned
Alright Gaf what's the new handheld/model going to be called? If they scrap the 3d all together then it might as well be a new handheld with more power and other features in which case I'm going to reach back in time for the...Super Gameboy and Gamegirl (can't forget the very large female audience.

If its still 3d I saw someone suggest DSU earlier which sounds good to me. DS Ultra? DS Unlimited? Or just DS U like Wii U?

Top Bottom