• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Figured I'd post some shots too. I think it looks great now, though performance is rough for some people after the patch. Here is Ferghus. Come join me and The Cimmerian Hillbillies on Set if you are interested.

ng.png

khemi.png

chosain.png

Clott

Some great improvements, but I think it is too late for me to get back into the game, it's a shame they can't relaunch it.

Darkkn

They should really move to EVE model of having a free client(that includes all updates and expansions). I'd like to give this game another try but i'm not going to buy the game+expansion and pay subscription for a game that i passed on previously.

derFeef

User Name Here said:
They just improved graphical features? No improvements to gameplay?
Well it's called an engine update...

Shanadeus said:
It shows that it uses the same engine as RIFT.

Or did it?
It uses the funcom-own Dreamworld engine. RIFT uses a heavily modified Gamebyro engine I think.

derFeef

So I have played a bit around with capturing and youtube, but man I can't seem to make youtube not to crap up my videos with compression artifacts. The videos I upload are really nice (and huge, which is a problem). If there is someone who can help me please let me know.

Anyway, here are some videos if anyone has not seen Khitai or some of the new engine stuff. Nothing special, just walking around. All in the same area btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzcsKa0RgI&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puTOR7zaYVQ&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TccR4AtImA&hd=1

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
New Solo Dungeon is up, and in a couple weeks two new 6-man instances, cc revamp, and faction grind update. Looks like Funcom is getting some stuff done now.

derFeef

Team Vernia said:
New Solo Dungeon is up, and in a couple weeks two new 6-man instances, cc revamp, and faction grind update. Looks like Funcom is getting some stuff done now.
Have yet to find where the quest starts, but I read it is a fun "indiana-jones" dungeon. So happy about the faction update that is coming. As a casual player, all I got was 2 armor pieces for 2 characters so far, and this was a pain.

Chris_C

Mendelevium said:
Just bought this game for 5 bucks off amazon. Anyone from gaf have any tips for a new player?

If you're a Conan fan, you'll love the game. Got a lot of flak for a crummy launch, but for my money it's the most fun pay to play MMO available at the moment.

derFeef

Mendelevium said:
Just bought this game for 5 bucks off amazon. Anyone from gaf have any tips for a new player?
Don't choose a PVP server, except if you want to play ruthless and are prepared to die often and early. I personally like the melee classes more because the combat system is unique - the casters are a bit boring (but strong).

If you are enjoying Tortage (the first tutorial island) - play the hell out of it because you will not have as much from the voice-overs and unique quests later on. If not, get as fast as possible off the island because the zones after that are much bigger and more open.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Just wanted to let everyone know that for the 3 year anniversary Funcom is making all inactive accounts active until the end of May. Might be worth checking out again to try out the new engine, instances, cc changes, and improved faction questing updates. I'll be on most likely as Tankgeezus, so send me a tell in-game if you see me.

JoeBoy101

Team Vernia said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that for the 3 year anniversary Funcom is making all inactive accounts active until the end of May. Might be worth checking out again to try out the new engine, instances, cc changes, and improved faction questing updates. I'll be on most likely as Tankgeezus, so send me a tell in-game if you see me.

Any idea when they are doing it? My account still showing as frozen (cancelled).

Took a look, all they are doing is adding 30 extra days on the subscription and requires 3 months to take advantage.

derFeef

JoeBoy101 said:
Any idea when they are doing it? My account still showing as frozen (cancelled).

Took a look, all they are doing is adding 30 extra days on the subscription and requires 3 months to take advantage.
They write in the forums that it shows your account as inactive, but you should be able to log in.

I just got an e-mail that I can play for free til the end of the month, going to give it a try.

Reinstalled from my old launch CDs and it seems I have to re D/L the whole game :(

This has to be the slowest downloader ever, fluctuates between 50Kb/s and 1.3 Mb/s.

Just got an email as well account active, gotta say this is really tempting to give it another shot, though at this point I have absolutely no intention of ever paying a monthly free again for any game.
But I absolutely loved the atmosphere in Aoc, the music in the Cimaria areas while looking over the mountains, so good. I guess it would be fun to do this again for a week :D.

derFeef

KernelPanic said:
I just got an e-mail that I can play for free til the end of the month, going to give it a try.

Reinstalled from my old launch CDs and it seems I have to re D/L the whole game :(

This has to be the slowest downloader ever, fluctuates between 50Kb/s and 1.3 Mb/s.
Keep in mind that you are able to download parts of the game world like the tutorial zone and level specific zones with the launcher.

Chris_C

Great Scott this download is slow. Been at it since yesterday, most of the time just about 100kbps. It's stopped entirely now.

I love this game though, big Conan fan and the atmosphere here is just fantastic. I hope it runs okay on my crappy new GT440 though.

teepo

i've always just wanted to give this a go due to the amazing art style and the update graphics are making it more tempting than ever before.

how hardcore is the pvp and is the player population still sizeable?

derFeef

teepo said:
i've always just wanted to give this a go due to the amazing art style and the update graphics are making it more tempting than ever before.

how hardcore is the pvp and is the player population still sizeable?
PVP is VERY hardcore. If you want open PVP play on a RP-PVP server, ganking and stuff is at minimum on those. Plus a "blood and gory" PVP server is coming with no rules at all, only one character slot, pvp loot options and so on - so the hardcore folks might switch to that later on. Population is fine, I can only speak for the german pve server but there are folks everywhere and raids are still going.

Alright its about time I give this a good shake. With the Witcher 2 out I'm interested in alternate fantasy worlds that aren't from Bioware, Beth, and the like. Engine update? Who the hell would have guessed. Is there any GAF servers for meetings and helping out new players. I wonder if that account I made way back will be active. I'm excited.

How much is this monthly?

nataku

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Alright its about time I give this a good shake. With the Witcher 2 out I'm interested in alternate fantasy worlds that aren't from Bioware, Beth, and the like. Engine update? Who the hell would have guessed. Is there any GAF servers for meetings and helping out new players. I wonder if that account I made way back will be active. I'm excited.

How much is this monthly?

It's $15 a month. Funcom has great discounts on multi-month subs though.

I decided to reinstall the game since my account was reactivated and the new engine is really nice.

Switched it to DX10 and the horrible 2D rotating grass disappeared too.

Still blows my mind they haven't give players an easy way to chat chat font colors in game. Grey text on a grey background is simply not readable.

bengraven said:
I really adored the tutorial area (huge Conan fan) and would love to play this, but I just can't do $15 for any game. :/
Loved first area too so I bought full game for 20e back then. But it got so bad that I've only played few days out of free month.

Some people say it was just me, this and that but most of people I know that tried it didn't like it.
I've had like no sense of direction in game, quests were disorganized, didn't know what to do or where to go, big zones and running from one end to other, constant ganking(pvp server, my fault), having to find graveyard and when killed run huge distances. Some problems I've had back then, maybe it's better now, thinking about downloading to try it again.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Nolimit_SS said:
Loved first area too so I bought full game for 20e back then. But it got so bad that I've only played few days out of free month.

Some people say it was just me, this and that but most of people I know that tried it didn't like it.
I've had like no sense of direction in game, quests were disorganized, didn't know what to do or where to go, big zones and running from one end to other, constant ganking(pvp server, my fault), having to find graveyard and when killed run huge distances. Some problems I've had back then, maybe it's better now, thinking about downloading to try it again.

It wasn't just you. Quality of the starter island made the mediocrity of the rest of the game too apparent.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The PvP was the best part of Conan, gank someone over and over and then just switch instances and kill someone else.

derFeef

Well, its official, Content Pack from the upcoming movie.
http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...w&template=content&func_id=3305&table=CONTENT

Funcom is proud to announce the new content to ‘Age of Conan’ that will tie together the game and the upcoming movie, ‘Conan the Barbarian’. Set 20 years after the movie storyline, an epic new adventure pack – The Savage Coast of Turan finds players being sent by Conan, now King of Aquilonia, to aid his old ally Artus. The new adventure pack includes but is not limited to content from the movie, and allows players to follow epic storylines in Conan’s realm.

I am hype.

Medium_Armor_small.jpg

Ardashir_Fort_interior_small.jpg
Rinho_court_small.jpg

Chris_C

Can't you play level's 1-20 for free? I seem to remember that.

It boggles my mind why more folks aren't all over this game, it's a unique, highly polished MMO with blood and boobs.

Does it still have boobs?

Sophia

Chris_C said:

It boggles my mind why more folks aren't all over this game, it's a unique, highly polished MMO with blood and boobs.

Lack of content and performance issues aside, I remember it being very good for it's time. If they hadn't launched in such a bad shape, I'd still be playing it.

Reinstalling for the free time now.

Chris_C

So I got the email about the free time, downloaded the client... and it's telling me that I have an authentication failure. When I log into my Funcom registration account status is frozen and not playable. Anyone know what the deal is?

EDIT: I can log into the registration page and change my settings but when I try to log into the forums it says the password is incorrect!?

derFeef

Chris_C said:
So I got the email about the free time, downloaded the client... and it's telling me that I have an authentication failure. When I log into my Funcom registration account status is frozen and not playable. Anyone know what the deal is?

EDIT: I can log into the registration page and change my settings but when I try to log into the forums it says the password is incorrect!?
The forum account is different from the game account. You can set up your forum account withing the reg. page. If you are unsure about the game password - reset the password for "all accounts" - which is the reg. page and the log in to the game.

Chris_C said:

Levels 1-20 were amazing, one of the best MMO experiences i'd had.

20+, not so much.

Chris_C

derFeef said:
The forum account is different from the game account. You can set up your forum account withing the reg. page. If you are unsure about the game password - reset the password for "all accounts" - which is the reg. page and the log in to the game.

Understood, thanks for the information.

Effect

Anyone know what the population is like now? Just the general level area from 1 to 80 but not so much at 80 itself? Still guilds building guild cities? etc?

Chris_C said:

Yeah, same for me. Hesitant to download/install 20+ gigs for nothing, can you let me know if you get in-game?

derFeef

Chinese Electric Batman said:
Levels 1-20 were amazing, one of the best MMO experiences i'd had.

20+, not so much.
Things have changed. 1-20 is by far my least-favourite part of the game now. This may be because I did it so many times, but I honestly think it does not hold up to the rest of the game world, especially the newly introduces zones. Not talking about the story, though.

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, same for me. Hesitant to download/install 20+ gigs for nothing, can you let me know if you get in-game?
Hm, this is weird. Did you have a full active account?

Chris_C

Mr. Snrub said:

I got in game, derFeef is right, forum/game passwords are apparently different from game passwords. I eventually remembered my old game password and logged in fine. Now I just need to do something about my lame-o GT440...

teepo

derFeef said:
PVP is VERY hardcore. If you want open PVP play on a RP-PVP server, ganking and stuff is at minimum on those. Plus a "blood and gory" PVP server is coming with no rules at all, only one character slot, pvp loot options and so on - so the hardcore folks might switch to that later on. Population is fine, I can only speak for the german pve server but there are folks everywhere and raids are still going.

that sounds so hot. omg.

EDarkness

I guess this is the official thread.

Any GAF members on Wiccana (U.S. PvE)? I figured I'd give this a go to see how it is, and I'm liking it so far. Doesn't have a lot of flash, but I think my character looks cool, so I'm pretty happy at the moment. Just wish I could get this running on my Mac. :(

derFeef

I can't enter the new areas until the movie comes out here (one week to go), but I have played it on testlive and it is a great content pack.

Anyway, I see lot's of Conan threads - maybe I should make an official Unchained OT? The question is if enough people are interested in it.

Top Bottom