• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sells Mediaroom, Xbox to be their TV strategy going forward

see5harp

I can tell some people just skim posts in here and emotionally respond.

yea, here you go.

Yea, I still have one sitting in my closet, with almost no games.

Point is, any game that was exclusive my comment doesn't apply to by definition. Any game that is multi-platform is going to be at best the same as if it were exclusive but obviously not better. And there's a chance it could be worse.

So yea, color me whatever. I don't think multiple consoles are a good thing.

Funny that if this were an Origin vs Steam debate then everyone would be saying that Origin can DIAF, fuck competition, Steam is the only platform that should exist.

MormaPope

Banned
I'd be shocked if you can show even one person suggesting that third parties are bailing on durango.

I'd be even more shocked if people think third party support or development is less important or essential to a consoles software library than first party support.

And as of now, we don't know jack about what Microsoft is developing game wise, but lets continue getting jossled over company acquisitions.

I couldn't disagree more with you. Without competition companies would become complacent. I also think developers look at other developers and try to one up them or be better than them. Just for a sense of accomplishment and pride. Multiple consoles lead to a sense of nationalism as well (as NeoGAF shows in almost every next gen thread) leading to developers wanting to do better than the competition for their "home country".

With the bolded statement, the companies you're talking about (the game developers) aren't competing for anything. You're getting hardware and software competition confused.

Maybe Sony would become complacent? So we'd get a few less first party games? Ok fine, I'll give you that. And maybe they'll update their OS less? Well, no, they're already shit in that department.

On the other hand, more developers will enter the foray since they know they can reach the entire market with just a single devkit / license deal, and more games will come out with higher quality since developers don't have to worry about porting.

JaggedSac

Recording Live TV is useless when most people already own DVR's or just use TV catchup services.

Streaming network attached content is nothing new, PS3 already does this, and I am sure PS4 will do this as well.

Application marektplace is nothing new, things like Roku, AppleTV and Smart TV have been doing this for ages, I am sure PS4 will do this as well. All themain and popular applications that matter like Netflix will be or are on most devices

The only unique thing MS has is Windows 8 client, and sharing the apps between Windows 8 devices. However I don't think this is a big deal, after all Windows 8 hasn't really took the world by storm on their PC OS, Tablet or Mobiles.

EDIT:
People saying MS will have a big hit due to media box features with mainstream market have no idea. Media features are a bonus, what the Durango will sell people on is what games consoles always sell people on. GAMES.

MS is wanting to replace DVRs. Do most DVRs stream to phones and tablets? I think DISH has a service such as that, but none of the Comcast boxes I've received had this capability.

The PS3 can stream to a phone, other tv, or tablet? I did not know that.

Sure, they all have application marketplaces nowadays, but the new xbox marketplace will have a platform that is shared with W8. Plus, developing a 3rd party app for the Roku(a garbage SDK) will be much different than developing a 3rd party app for the new xbox.

I'd be even more shocked if people think third party support or development is less important or essential to a consoles software library than first party support.

And as of now, we don't know jack about what Microsoft is developing game wise, but lets continue getting jossled over company acquisitions.
Let's, I don't see the harm in posting observations on a forum, it takes only the effort of moving and pressing fingers.

For me first party is what's actually getting me to pick up a console over the other for what it has exclusively, not third party games that are everywhere.
yea, here you go.
Not sure I get this.

Ingeniero

If developers completely abandoned Xbox next gen it would be a major triumph for gaming.

nxkih3.jpg.gif

Really man? That would be the absolute worst thing that could happen actually, we need the competition, it makes everyone try harder to outperform the rival.

gamma

Do we know anything about PS4 media capabilities at this point? I want mkv support.

What? One can dream.

Bsigg12

People here that are already committed to the PS4 have to have something to bash Microsoft with. This has nothing to do with the online required rumor, I absolutely get the frustration there, and people are just going for the throat proclaiming having media features will be the end of Microsoft's endeavor in gaming.

With the bolded statement, the companies you're talking about (the game developers) aren't competing for anything. You're getting hardware and software competition confused.

Maybe Sony would become complacent? So we'd get a few less first party games? Ok fine, I'll give you that. And maybe they'll update their OS less? Well, no, they're already shit in that department.

On the other hand, more developers will enter the foray since they know they can reach the entire market with just a single devkit / license deal, and more games will come out with higher quality since developers don't have to worry about porting.

I don't think you read my entire post.

You don't think that there is a sense of pride amongst developers when they compare their games up against other developers? And further to that point, a sense of nationalism when it comes to being successful for their exclusive console. I'd be willing to bet that competition b/w Guerrilla Games and Bungie this generation led their respective games to being pushed harder.

nxkih3.jpg.gif

Really man? That would be the absolute worst thing that could happen actually, we need the competition, it makes everyone try harder to outperform the rival.

The only people we're talking about here are Microsoft and Sony. It doesn't make developers try harder for anything, because they're not part of the competition we're eve talking about. We're talking about hardware competition, not software competition. So maybe it makes Sony try less hard for next next gen? All the analysts are saying this is last gen anyway, so #Shrug

I don't think you read my entire post.

You don't think that there is a sense of pride amongst developers when they compare their games up against other developers? And further to that point, a sense of nationalism when it comes to being successful for their exclusive console. I'd be willing to bet that competition b/w Guerrilla Games and Bungie this generation led the respective games being pushed harder.

I think that kind of competition is completely independent from, and unrelated to, the existence of multiple platforms.

MormaPope

Banned
If you compare the number of apps on the 360 and PS3, they are neck and neck at this point. If you think Sony isn't going to attempt to match Microsoft in the category of non gaming features and apps, you have brainwashed yourself into thinking Sony is less focused in non gaming services than Microsoft, and in turn that Sony's main focus will be on software instead of a feature set.

Just like Microsoft is going to compete with Sony in the social structure Sony has set up for the PS4.

Bsigg12

The only people we're talking about here are Microsoft and Sony. It doesn't make developers try harder for anything, because they're not part of the competition we're eve talking about. We're talking about hardware competition, not software competition. So maybe it makes Sony try less hard for next next gen? All the analysts are saying this is last gen anyway, so #Shrug

I think that kind of competition is completely independent from, and unrelated to, the existence of multiple platforms.

Next gen is always the last gen, every gen. Just saying ;-)

Bullza2o

I guess it looks like they're keeping their services (XBL) a premium. It doesn't look good for free online multiplayer.

ido

I notice in the quote it says, "X amount of 360's sold, and X amount are on Xbox Live"

I wonder how many of the ones not on Xbox Live were original 360's that were replaced by newer working consoles, since Microsoft did have a pretty disastrous fuck up with faulty hardware. Anecdotal of course, but I do not know one person that did not have to replace a 360.

I don't really like the idea of my gaming console being an entertainment hub, either. I don't mind added benefits such as Netflix, Hulu, etc, but I do not like the idea of constant advertisements and online requirements to play games that obviously do not require an internet connection.

If the rumors are true, I cannot wait to see what kind of spin Microsoft will put on them to make the layman think it's a wonderful idea.

ElfArmy177

With so many people I know getting rid of cable and going hulu/Netflix/amazon instant for other shows.. including myself... This us a really bad idea

MormaPope

Banned
Let's, I don't see the harm in posting observations on a forum, it takes only the effort of moving and pressing fingers.

For me first party is what's actually getting me to pick up a console over the other for what it has exclusively, not third party games that are everywhere.
Not sure I get this.

There's a difference between observations and straight up personal projection of reality.

I don't think there isn't anything inherently wrong with Microsoft making the Xbox a more centralized, TV centric device because publishers will still make games for the machine and so will Microsoft. Actually, I don't see next gen Microsoft being any different than this generation Microsoft. Microsoft isn't going to abandon the gaming aspect of the Xbox; actually I fully expect it to the big thing Microsoft pushes for the entire year. I'm sure they will continue to woo third party publishers to make exclusive content, especially with franchises like Call of Duty, which will do some measure of work for them and allow them to ease back and focus on a few internal franchises for the life of the next Xbox, very similar to how they did it this generation with the 360 and games like Halo, Forza and Gears of War.

I do expect Microsoft to put a lot more focus on bringing services outside of gaming to the Xbox than there was this generation, but they aren't going to abandon games or stop making them. They will still be a core part of the business.

Besides, they haven't even announced the damn thing yet and when they do, I expect a large focus on games (and a lot of services, too).

KAL2006

Banned
MS is wanting to replace DVRs. Do most DVRs stream to phones and tablets? I think DISH has a service such as that, but none of the Comcast boxes I've received had this capability.

The PS3 can stream to a phone, other tv, or tablet? I did not know that.

Sure, they all have application marketplaces nowadays, but the new xbox marketplace will have a platform that is shared with W8. Plus, developing a 3rd party app for the Roku(a garbage SDK) will be much different than developing a 3rd party app for the new xbox.

I live here in the UK. I doubt people would want to replace their Sky+ or Virgin+ boxes. Perhaps they have no need for regular freeview, but that wouldnt be a selling point.

Perhaps not PS3, but Sony have already made plans for Mobile devices, tablets and etc to stream content from PS4 already. PSP already does that with PS3, expect Sony to expand this by allowing iOS and Android deviced to stream content from PS4. Also streaming content from PS4 isn't a big deal, things like Netflix and etc are on smartphones and tablets anyway.

Again I meant all these apps will be available on everything anyway, well the most popular ones that people care abot. For example Netflix app will be avalable on Apple TV, Roku, PS3, PS4, Smart TV and etc. As for Windows 8 ecosystem, I don't think people give a shit, its not as if people care for Windows 8 now.If a app like Netflix was exclusive to Windows 8, then it would be a big deal.

Again, all this media features are nothing new, I expect both Durango and PS4 to implement IPTV and services as it is a natural evolution to have these things, but it isnt a big deal and its nothing new.

what, speaking as an old man, continues to kinda astonish me? that so many people (particularly young people) continue to even give a rat's ass about 'watching tv' (from whatever source) :) ...

Dipswitch

I live here in the UK. I doubt people would want to replace their Sky+ or Virgin+ boxes. Perhaps they have no need for regular freeview, but that wouldnt be a selling point.

Out of curiosity, why is this? In the States, cable boxes are just a means to an end (i.e. getting at programming) and are more tolerated, rather than appreciated. For instance, I have several of the latest cable boxes from our cable provider and they're slow as molasses and constantly serving up useless ads from the cable company that take forever to load. They're not adding value from my perspective. They're being used out of necessity.

If people could take a advantage of a (presumably) slicker, speedier interface that allows them to get at their content in a more convenient manner, do you not think that would be well received?

DEADEVIL

If developers completely abandoned Xbox next gen it would be a major triumph for gaming. Developers having one less platform to worry about, and everyone being able to spend all of their technical expertise mastering a single platform's hardware would be awesome.

Silly.

Rad-

If developers completely abandoned Xbox next gen it would be a major triumph for gaming. Developers having one less platform to worry about, and everyone being able to spend all of their technical expertise mastering a single platform's hardware would be awesome.

Yep and that way 10 times more developers would die than this gen. Definitely a major triumph for gaming that.

KAL2006

Banned
Out of curiosity, why is this? In the States, cable boxes are just a means to an end (i.e. getting at programming) and are more tolerated, rather than appreciated. For instance, I have several of the latest cable boxes from our cable provider and they're slow as molasses and constantly serving up useless ads from the cable company that take forever to load. They're not adding value from my perspective. They're being used out of necessity.

If people could take a advantage of a (presumably) slicker, speedier interface that allows them to get at their content in a more convenient manner, do you not think that would be well received?

Sony already released a Freeview DVR recorder for PS3 and it wasnt a big deal. Freeview usually comes with most TV's without the DVR features. People don't use DVR's because they use TV catchup services which are available on PS3, or even built into the TV (as Smart TV). As for Sky and Virgin, I doubt these companies would want to partner up with Microsoft, when they can sell their own box. The only thing these companies will do is release a catchup sevice, which Sky has already done with Sky Go for 360.

JaggedSac

Then you would not need any DVR capabilities of a new XBox. I personally would rather have this than any set top box from Comcast.

Perhaps not PS3, but Sony have already made plans for Mobile devices, tablets and etc to stream content from PS4 already. PSP already does that with PS3, expect Sony to expand this by allowing iOS and Android deviced to stream content from PS4. Also streaming content from PS4 isn't a big deal, things like Netflix and etc are on smartphones and tablets anyway.

Of course Netflix will be on everything. I was speaking about content that is on the box, such as live tv, recordings, etc. Not content being streamed from the cloud or service. Content that the XBox would be sending over the wire itself. Want to show someone a video of some gameplay you did, connect to your XBox and stream it, or someone wants you to remotely watch their live gameplay from your phone. That sort of thing.

Again I meant all these apps will be available on everything anyway, well the most popular ones that people care abot. For example Netflix app will be avalable on Apple TV, Roku, PS3, PS4, Smart TV and etc. As for Windows 8 ecosystem, I don't think people give a shit, its not as if people care for Windows 8 now.If a app like Netflix was exclusive to Windows 8, then it would be a big deal.

3rd Party ecosystems are great because they can extend the functionality of the box past what MS envisions and has time to develop. Especially if MS gives them enough hooks and such to tie into various aspects of the system and services.

Again, all this media features are nothing new, I expect both Durango and PS4 to implement IPTV and services as it is a natural evolution to have these things, but it isnt a big deal and its nothing new.

Absolutely. Both will be doing the same/similar media things as the other.

People don't use DVR's because they use TV catchup services which are available on PS3, or even built into the TV (as Smart TV).

wtf? Not sure how it is over there, but DVRs are used heavily over here. And they usually aren't separate boxes from the cable set top box.

SpaceHobo

Banned
This forum is nuts, absolutely nuts.

On the plus side, GAF's record of predicting shit ids hilariously bad, so 720 being awesome and selling a fucking ton is pretty much confirmed.

*high fives all round*

Hari Seldon

what, speaking as an old man, continues to kinda astonish me? that so many people (particularly young people) continue to even give a rat's ass about 'watching tv' (from whatever source) :) ...

This is a mystery to me as well. This isn't the 80s anymore where people sat down as a family and watched laugh track sitcoms all afternoon. I have a handful of shows I watch per week and that is it. I don't really care about making my TV watching experience better, unless it lets me ditch cable, which I highly doubt it will. MS is not big enough to overpower the cable companies.

ascii42

Creating hardware is no longer about building a box and being done with it there. Systems can be updated and new services can be provided. Sony has added features over the lifetime of the PS3 in direct response to what the 360 offered, like in game XMB and trophies. Would PS Plus exist without Sony having to compete with MS?

This is a mystery to me as well. This isn't the 80s anymore where people sat down as a family and watched laugh track sitcoms all afternoon. I have a handful of shows I watch per week and that is it. I don't really care about making my TV watching experience better, unless it lets me ditch cable, which I highly doubt it will. MS is not big enough to overpower the cable companies.

I know in the UK that MS will never ever be able to compete with Sky/Virgin, its not even beneficial to try.

Dipswitch

I know in the UK that MS will never ever be able to compete with Sky/Virgin, its not even beneficial to try.

I don't think it's about competition. It's more about partnering with. How that partnership is going to work (Serving as a replacement/augmentation to their hardware or serving up their content via apps) is yet to be seen.

Either way, those two providers have to be in the mix if they hope to make any headway from an entertainment integration standpoint in the UK.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't think it's about competition. It's more about partnering with. How that partnership is going to work (Serving as a replacement/augmentation to their hardware or serving up their content via apps) is yet to be seen.

Either way, those two providers have to be in the mix if they hope to make any headway from an entertainment integration standpoint in the UK.

Sky Go is already available on many devices like 360 and iOS. I am sure both PS4 and Durango will have a Sky Go app. Again these apps and services are nothing new and is expected, I don't see it as a big deal.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Sky Go is already available on many devices like 360 and iOS. I am sure both PS4 and Durango will have a Sky Go app. Again these apps and services are nothing new and is expected, I don't see it as a big deal.

Hmmm, watch Sky Go on my 360 or Durango with its awful streaming performance and poor IQ all requiring an XBL Gold subscription?

Or use the already supplied Sky+HD box for Full HD with Dual-tuner DVR, Live TV Record/Pause/Rewind and full suite of on-demand services via it's ethernet connection, for no extra fees.

Tough choice! :p

Imagine if there was a forum many years ago dedicated to the die hard cell phone users who had a strong distaste for touch screen, internet connectivity, apps etc...basically everything that makes a smartphone great today. You can make the argument that this multi-focus approach is risky for MS but only time will tell. It could be the full realization of Xbox potential. If Sony went this route I'd be all for it as well.

Zeppelin

Why would anyone ever buy something from Microsoft? I think this is the first time I've ever heard of MS selling an asset. No wonder Ericsson is going to shit.

So this is basically saying that their IPTV platform didn't work, and they're selling it off. This means that the only TV strategy they have is through XBox. I doubt this actually affects XBox at all.

I've seen several posts suggest PS4 is gonna get PS2 like support and nextbox is going to get Original Xbox like support.

I've seen the same thing suggested for durango vs the ps4. I just think it's speculating vs saying what's actually going to happen.

Why is Xbox $500. PS4 must be $500 then!

Xbox includes Kinetic 2.0
Xbox includes cable top hardware
Xbox also probably includes other "entertainment hardware" useless for gamers

These things cost money!

So now you need an always online internet services to watch cable... If your internet goes down you will be disconnected. LOL

Seriously, that was a bad joke. Surely that wouldn't happen....

Only on NextBox.

Surely Microsoft will alienate the gaming community quite a bit, but I believe they are on to something big here.

Haven't even heard of Mediaroom before, until I had to find out tonight that I apparently was using Mediaroom for several years now through my IPTV provider.

Ushae

Banned
Whats wrong with their target for next gen? Entertainment & Games? Sounds like exactly what I want. I don't get all the MS poison that is going around, the exact same shit happened building up to Sony's reveal too.. and their goals turned out to be pretty damn great.

*shrug*

Top Bottom