• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sells Mediaroom, Xbox to be their TV strategy going forward

DaBoss

Without a doubt both. Microsoft is revealing their machine this close to launch to show a more fully formed and actual vision of the next Xbox. Meaning that they will show what will actually ship in the console and show how it fits into the lifestyle of a normal person.

Then games will have less of a focus in that wouldn't it?

I think Microsoft may be confusing my wife watching 60 hours of Netflix and me playing 20 hours of video games as though Netflix is the primary reason we bought an Xbox 360. I won't buy the Next Xbox for $3-500 to watch Netflix when I can buy a Roku for a fraction of that. Give me game power, yo.

Now wouldn't this be an interesting turn of events. Their data not giving them the full picture and leads them to this mess.

What does the new Xbox do for media consumption that the 360 or even much cheaper Roku or Apple TV doesn't do? The only people that would be willing to shell out $500 at launch are enthusiasts and it seems to me like MS isn't really concerned with pleasing them.

From what rumors suggest: Actual TV on your Xbox, making it act like a cable box.

Then games will have less of a focus in that wouldn't it?

I honestly don't think it will have less focus then it has now. But there will be more elements in the new Xbox, making it seem at a surface level like MS is not deep into games, but I think the amount of investment and output will be the same (perhaps greater, given that Microsoft has made some heavy investments in new 1st party studios).

Derrick01

Banned
It seems to me that MS is setting themselves up to compete with the iPad rather than just making the best gaming console ever.

The real question is going to be if they can deliver on both.

Eh why not? All of their previous attempts to fight Apple has worked so well, may as well try gaming consoles next.

Uiki

It seems to me that MS is setting themselves up to compete with the iPad rather than just making the best gaming console ever.

The real question is going to be if they can deliver on both.

Judging only from the last 3 years.....no.

Judging only from the last 3 years.....no.

I think this is the thing that people shouldn't get caught up on-- the last 3 years their best minds have been working on Durango stuff.

That being said, all of the rumours so far have been worrying. I initially brushed it off, but as others have said, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about this news in particular. If they offer amazing TV services, it doesn't really affect me positively or negatively about the next Xbox as a games platform.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Still, the more I see details about Next Xbox, the more I see them basically saying "bye bye!" to any possibility of having a good European presence. We don't even know what the hell is a Roku here (Italy) :lol It really sounds like a sort of N64-2.

Hana-Bi

What does the new Xbox do for media consumption that the 360 or even much cheaper Roku or Apple TV doesn't do? The only people that would be willing to shell out $500 at launch are enthusiasts and it seems to me like MS isn't really concerned with pleasing them.

Yeah, what does the next Xbox do?

Who knows?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Make up your mind guys.

Is nextbox a multimedia device that happens to also play games, or a gaming device that also happens to play multimedia?

Well, in this PR they mention games.

And we all know this thing will have 98% of the games produced next-gen.

Maybe they'll be as aggressive as they've been with the 360 in its first years while still expanding on media and other services.

Is nextbox a multimedia device that happens to also play games, or a gaming device that also happens to play multimedia?

Who cares if the games are worth it?

surly

Banned
As I said multiple times : Microsoft is the cancer of video games.

You can't expect a firm whose revenues come from selling the Office Pack or Suite to be a great video games contributor.
Weird, cos the 360 has more exclusives than the PS3, more highly rated titles on Metacritic, and MS ranked higher than Sony in Metacritic's Game Publisher Rankings for 2010, 2011 and 2012 - the only 3 years they've published such rankings. Pretty good for a "cancer".

But why would MS give people media functionality in a games console?

Eurogamer a year a go said:
As reported by The Verge, entertainment app usage has more than doubled in the past year, contributing to a global 30 per cent increase in the total hours spent on Xbox Live.
Oh, that's why. It appears to be what people want.

theytookourjobz said:
What does the new Xbox do for media consumption that the 360 or even much cheaper Roku or Apple TV doesn't do?
That's why they're also making a $99 version of the Xbox 360. It'll do what those devices do, as well as playing games.

So far, the PS4 seems more about social integration and games. MSFT is sounding worse as I read more on it.

Of course they will have games but probably not the ones I want. No reason to even want another Xbox right now. Certainly not with all the crap we've been reading about always online and dilution of the product.

It's to push their stupid agenda and in the end, it will hurt the gaming industry.

Or, you could wait until Microsoft actually reveals the console and the games in May. I know that sounds crazy and not as fun as a jumping to conclusions mat, but it seems like having actual information will be a great way to make an informed decision.

Fox Mulder

Oh well, it was a good run.

I loved the first Xbox, and the 360 was on fire for most of this gen until MS stopped giving a shit.

This new console only sounds like the most unappealing thing every single day.

I've been thinking about that, but if my console can do it then two birds one stone; I get the ips I love plus the services I want.
Definitely consider it, it's a great little box even to use in your bedroom or whatever. Someone on Neogaf recommended it to me in the first place.

x-Lundz-x

Oh well, it was a good run.

I loved the first Xbox, and the 360 was on fire for most of this gen until MS stopped giving a shit.

Oh they give a shit alright, they just don't give a shit about people like us that post on GAF. Games are secondary to MS strategy now. It's all about "Content".

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Still, the more I see details about Next Xbox, the more I see them basically saying "bye bye!" to any possibility of having a good European presence. We don't even know what the hell is a Roku here (Italy) :lol It really sounds like a sort of N64-2.

Indeed, lots of people can look forward to paying for a screen that says " Sorry, not available in your region".

Or, they can #DealWithIt
i.e. Buy something else.

Seconded

I'm all for them trying to push new things (presuming the gaming sector doesn't suffer for it) but all of these 'services' might be very US centric (I'm in the UK, I have no idea what a Roku or AppleTV is) considering those aforementioned things seem to be what MS is positioning the next XBOX against. It feels a bit like MS is cutting away a huge section of the worldwide market.

Uiki

I think this is the thing that people shouldn't get caught up on-- the last 3 years their best minds have been working on Durango stuff.

That being said, all of the rumours so far have been worrying. I initially brushed it off, but as others have said, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Even if you don't count the last 3 years, they still have a the weakest first party titles (they even manage to kill halo, who was the ka for 360 in the early years).

They need to show exclusives, lots of them.

Then we can talk about IPTV (and I live in italy, so no coverage..never used a single "optional" service on a console).

ifcaFOk1aQD5o.gif

JaggedSac

"Today we're not going to announce a console, but a multimedia hub! Enjoy!"
"Games? What's this?!"

Semantics, yes.

Nothing comes for free. People working on the entertainment side could be working on the game side. A balance would be a good thing... but Microsoft doesn't want balance. They want to get those stubborn non-gamers who snubbed their Kinect the first time around.

Are you saying they employ more people to work on TV related things instead of in games studios?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Get a 720 for $300 if you subscribe to this cable service contract.

I like how you're joking but that might actually work, I would be happy to have my PS4/X720 replace my fios box altogether.

Stingray makes sense now.

MS don't care about games side; their releasing a very cheap new 360 SKU alongside an expensive next generation console. Why? Because they will do anything to get their other entertainment services into living rooms.

Developers should jump off the Durango, MS want to use them (whilst taking them for advantage) to sell a product that is not to their benefit. They are not interested in creating the next generation console to sell software on - they only care about selling a mixture of digital products and advertising.

Whether the last gen system or the new gen system leads the way. MS don't care.

Stingray is likely an always online 360 with a lot of the other digital additions the Durango will be getting.

Durango? Its success means nout.

The console with the highest attach-rate for games and software sales isn't interested in software sales... well you got me hard to argue that one.

Microsoft will use stingray to get in non-gamers living rooms and the Xbox 720 to attach to the core.

Stingray makes sense now.

MS don't care about games side; their releasing a very cheap new 360 SKU alongside an expensive next generation console. Why? Because they will do anything to get their other entertainment services into living rooms.

Developers should jump off the Durango, MS want to use them (whilst taking them for advantage) to sell a product that is not to their benefit. They are not interested in creating the next generation console to sell software on - they only care about selling a mixture of digital products and advertising.

Whether the last gen system or the new gen system leads the way. MS don't care.

Stingray is likely an always online 360 with a lot of the other digital additions the Durango will be getting.

Durango? Its success means nout.

Microsoft is (seemingly) abandoning the NeoGAF gamer to go after the other 99.9% of people in the world.

That doesn't thrill me as the 0.1% but it makes a ton of sense how they would arrive at this point and their path to success is a lot more clear than Sony's at this point. You can't build a whole platform around the enthusiasts.

I don't get it. What's the problem? All this seems to mean is that the new system will not half-ass its media center functionality. Don't see why this means the game side of the platform will suffer.

This is going to be fantastic. MSFT wants to be my TV hub? You thought I was pissed when my 360 went up in smoke because of faulty hardware? Wait til I can't watch TV because you don't know how to make a console. Or better yet my old lady and kids can't watch TV because the Xbox blew up! That'll make me REAL popular in my home.

RROD 2: Electric Boogaloo coming to your living room in Q4!

Minions

I like how you're joking but that might actually work, I would be happy to have my PS4/X720 replace my fios box altogether.

Your cable box works, but only so long as your internet works. (Yes I know they come through the same cable, but I have had TV without internet working and vice versa before). Intenet goes down, no DVR recording!

This is going to be fantastic. MSFT wants to be my TV hub? You thought I was pissed when my 360 went up in smoke because of faulty hardware? Wait til I can't watch TV because you don't know how to make a console. Or better yet my old lady and kids can't watch TV because the Xbox blew up! That'll make me REAL popular in my home.

RROD 2: Electric Boogaloo coming to your living room in Q4!

Yes because Microsoft didn't learn anything the last time.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't get the infatuation that MS has with IPTV. Just keep growing out the existing movie/tv rental service, keep pushing for earlier/simultaneous releases. No need to build something redundant alongside that. There's already plenty of redundancy with the services offered - Netflix, Hulu, etc. It just gives them a black eye with core market that's taken xbox as far as it has so far and doesn't really seem to offer anything compelling to a wider market that other services aren't already starting to address, because they've taken too long to get IPTV off the ground.

madmackem

Weird, cos the 360 has more exclusives than the PS3, more highly rated titles on Metacritic, and MS ranked higher than Sony in Metacritic's Game Publisher Rankings for 2010, 2011 and 2012 - the only 3 years they've published such rankings. Pretty good for a "cancer".

But why would MS give people media functionality in a games console?

Oh, that's why. It appears to be what people want.

That's why they're also making a $99 version of the Xbox 360. It'll do what those devices do, as well as playing games.

Then they are going to get an amazing shock when people dont pay another $500 to do the same things they are doing now with the apps and shit. People bought a 360 for games, the media thing was a side effect, people wont by a $500 xbox to play fucking netflix on it when you can get cheaper things that do it now for free. I really hope ms hasnt misjudged the whole app thing but signs arnt good.

DEADEVIL

I think Microsoft may be confusing my wife watching 60 hours of Netflix and me playing 20 hours of video games as though Netflix is the primary reason we bought an Xbox 360. I won't buy the Next Xbox for $3-500 to watch Netflix when I can buy a Roku for a fraction of that. Give me game power, yo.

Nah. Your the one who may be confused. Gaming on the 360 has never fallen off from their stats. But of course they are going to note that besides gaming more and more people are consuming media entertainment on Xbox Live when they aren't gamIng.

The_Monk

Thanks for posting this fellow GAFfer.

The only thing that I'm really curious is how they will plan their Strategy on Japan and Europe (Europe is more than UK by the way) to be honest. I can't wait.

Vexxan

Not only does it sounds like they are moving away from games and toward the TV stuff but I doubt even half of all these services will be available outside of the US, pretty much like it is now with the 360.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have seen quite a few people here claim that. They seem to have missed the first 35 minutes of sonys PS4 announcement show where they talked about everything but games lol
You mean the actual start of the conference and introduction to the platform? Odd since they spent a ton of time after that talking nothing but games

Microsoft hasn't offered anything yet considering the console hasn't been officially announced or features officially confirmed

Based on what you've read so far, what sounds better, a PS4 or new xbox? My main point is that what we've heard from Sony is very gamer centric and they've come out and said this is a system for gamers. Quite the opposite from MSFT.

Top Bottom