• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 30th Anniversary to one of the GOAT - Robocop (1987)

robocop19871280jpg-882e62_1280w.jpg

On this day in 1987, Robocop was released, and quickly became a worldwide phenom as well as a childhood hero to many of us.

Share your favorite Robocop memories, trivia facts, and quotes from what myself and fans around the world consider to be one of the greatest films ever made.

tumblr_ok1rhvOjYa1u2ragso1_500.gif

RIP Miguel

robocop-04-gif-tagged-saint-pauly-wtf.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Great movie. Even liked the recent re-release (well, kinda).

The sequels, though, ugh. UGH

UGH

Penguin

Was just gonna search to see if a thread was posted

But yeah good movie

And alamo announced bringing it back for one night on Sept 10th!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The greatest retelling of the story of Christ through a distinctly over the top and satirical American lens.

Holds up very well with some nice social commentary. Kurtwood Smith is an excellent villain. So much better than the sequels and the remake.

Sephzilla

RoboCop is a movie I'd damn near say is perfect in the sense that it nails everything it sets out to achieve. It's also one of those movies you can look at and immediately say "they really don't make movies like this anymore". RoboCop holds up really well even in 2017, a few dated stop-motion effects aside. Clarence Boddicker is a type of villain that we rarely see anymore; he's an evil person who's given absolutely no sympathetic backstory or redeemable qualities and he seems to acknowledge and enjoy the fact that he's evil for the sake of being evil. Peter Weller is massively under appreciated in terms of his acting both in RoboCop and in RoboCop 2. So many subtle things he does in the role go a long ways to selling the idea that he's actually a cyborg and also towards building the progressive return of Alex Murphy. Watching RoboCop 3, the TV series, or the reboot really shine a light on how important Weller was to the character.

I also like that all of the OCP employees, including the people who save Murphy and create RoboCop, are generally assholes too. Bob Morton only wants a promotion and to make a name for himself. Dick Jones wants the money. The Old Man just wants to get to Delta City already.

It's also one of the most quotable movies in existence.

FUN FACT: Peter Weller was born 30 minutes away from where I live

One of the greatest films ever made and one of the very few things from my childhood that not only hold up but are actually better the older I got.

Incredible film. I still can't believe my dad let me watch something like this when I was still in elementary school back when it released on home video as a rental. It's so brutal as hell to watch as a adult!

It's pretty amazing they were going to cancel the entire project in the first fitting of the suit for Peter Weller because it took like a crazy 10 hours to put it in and he couldn't move at all how they planned it, so they spent the weekend taking chunk's of it off and readjusting things and Peter reworking his movements to be more stop and go and purposely painfully slow to make it all work.

jelly

I still can't stand the toxic waste part. Shudder.

Great film though.

I watched so many good films when I was 10 years old.

Tom Nook

Clarence Boddicker: Ooh, guns, guns, guns! Come on, Sal! The Tigers are playing... [slaps the table] tonight! I never miss a game.
. . .

[RoboCop bashes his way into the factory.]
RoboCop: Come quietly or there will be trouble.
Steve Minh: Aww, fuck you!

I fucking love this movie.

I remember the first time I saw the execution of Murphy scene fully uncut. I was probably 14 or 15 at the time. It still holds up, and was amazingly well done. I got to ask both Peter Weller and Nancy Allen about the scene during a reunion panel 2 years ago in Atlanta, and she said she actually cried the first time she watched the scene in its entirety.

Something else I learned from that panel, never ever bring up the remake to Weller. He will explode on you like a madman.

Paul Verhoeven, come back to us please!

Poppy

rip toxic waste guy

I think it's safe to say that RoboCop is #1 on most peoples "I'm shocked my parents let me watch this" list.
funnily enough for me that was a different Verhoeven movie, Starship Troopers. my dad said he expected it to be a fun space movie appropriate for a 9 year old, but he was too uncomfortable about walking out of the theater when he realized he was wrong so we watched it anyway

but i turned out perfectly fine anyway ha, thanks dad

The scene where one of the goons gets drenched in the toxic waste scared me as a kid. When he is walking around then gets run over.

Outstanding movie, the social commentary on American and corporate excesses were spot on.

Was it this movie or the sequel where the American President was depicted as a comedian?

Sephzilla

It's honestly kind of sad that the 80s RoboCop suit looked better than the remake's suit

Outstanding movie, the social commentary on American and corporate excesses were spot on.

Was it this movie or the sequel where the American President was depicted as a comedian?

I don't remember the President being mentioned in either RoboCop or RoboCop 2

Daffy Duck

I remember the first time I saw the execution of Murphy scene fully uncut. I was probably 14 or 15 at the time. It still holds up, and was amazingly well done. I got to ask both Peter Weller and Nancy Allen about the scene during a reunion panel 2 years ago in Atlanta, and she said she actually cried the first time she watched the scene in its entirety.

Something else I learned from that panel, never ever bring up the remake to Weller. He will explode on you like a madman.

Oooo, do tell.

Pandy

Another highlight from that mid-80's period of peak Hollywood.

Love it, and my friends and I still reference it regularly.

sarcastor

I still can't stand the toxic waste part. Shudder.

Are you kidding me? Watching Murphy get blown to bits at the tender age of 12 has scarred me so much I still fast forward that scene 30 years later.

Yes I still have a vcr so I have to fast forward shit. Don't judge me.

Hollywood doesn't deserve Verhoeven. He made some great films and all they remember is fucking Showgirls which he only did to fulfill a contractual obligation with Carolco after they torpedoed Crusade.

Watch Elle though if you haven't. One of last years best films.

Top Bottom