• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Canova
Banned
(12-24-2009, 06:39 AM)
Canova's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZealousD

Thanks guys for all the kind words on the OP! Even though I intentionally didn't go BruceLeeRoy crazy, I spent more time on this than I probably should have. :lol

it's great official topic. it's a good intro to many of those who haven't heard about this game
Oneself
Fired from EB Games
thanks to this thread!
(12-24-2009, 07:16 AM)
Oneself's Avatar
Oh crap, that PS3 is sexy. Damn.

Day one by the way. It looks awesome. Action / adventure games FTW.:D
SamBishop
Banned
(12-24-2009, 07:24 AM)
Final retail copies came in today (PS3 and 360) and they're so... shiny! The cover's actually got some funky foil stamping stuff, so there are lines coming off the "reflection" of War's sword. It looks neat.

Also, at the rest of whoring out my site, if anyone needs more of a push toward picking this thing up, here's our preview. It's basically a couple thousand words of me spazzing out over how much I love the game, but hopefully there are a couple of interesting details buried in there too.

Also also, the PS3 is sexy as hell.
ZealousD
Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
(12-24-2009, 07:42 AM)
ZealousD's Avatar
Amazing preview, Sam. Added it to the OP! :D
soldat7
(12-24-2009, 08:16 AM)
soldat7's Avatar
Wow. I'd pretty much written this one off. Unless these initial reviews/impressions are flukes, I'll wait to see which version is better before I pre-order/buy.
Enigma777
Banned
(12-24-2009, 08:26 AM)

Originally Posted by SamBishop

Final retail copies came in today (PS3 and 360) and they're so... shiny! The cover's actually got some funky foil stamping stuff, so there are lines coming off the "reflection" of War's sword. It looks neat.

Also, at the rest of whoring out my site, if anyone needs more of a push toward picking this thing up, here's our preview. It's basically a couple thousand words of me spazzing out over how much I love the game, but hopefully there are a couple of interesting details buried in there too.

Also also, the PS3 is sexy as hell.

Thanks a lot Sam!
SamBishop
Banned
(12-24-2009, 09:00 AM)

Originally Posted by ZealousD

Amazing preview, Sam. Added it to the OP! :D

Whoa, uh, thanks, dude! Glad you guys dug it!
Decado
Member
(12-24-2009, 09:08 AM)
"First big game of 2010"? Isn't Bayonetta coming out on the same day?
Smokey
Just ordered 2 Laker car flags on Amazon.com
(12-24-2009, 09:08 AM)
Smokey's Avatar
First sleeper hit of 2010 confirmed?!?

It's official now..for me at least. Too many different people are enjoying and raving about this game.
Matrix
LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
(12-24-2009, 09:13 AM)
Matrix's Avatar
Yea Ive decided to pick this game up after reading through this thread and previews.

I just can't decide which console to get it for :\
SamBishop
Banned
(12-24-2009, 09:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Decado

"First big game of 2010"? Isn't Bayonetta coming out on the same day?

Everybody knows the 360 version of that is where it's at, heh. It's a PlayStation site, so I guess if you look at it that wa-yeah, I apparently forgot Bayonetta was hitting on the same day, whoops. One of the first big games of 2010!

Originally Posted by Matrix

Yea Ive decided to pick this game up after reading through this thread and previews.

I just can't decide which console to get it for :\

Whichever you play on most, I suppose? It's a purely single-player game, so unless you're going to be playing alongside other people with voice chat on or something, it kinda comes down to whether you want more Trophies or Achievements. The game's pretty much the same on both consoles.
Hesemonni
Junior Member
(12-24-2009, 09:42 AM)
Hesemonni's Avatar
Digital Foundry's Darksiders feature can't come soon enough.
-tetsuo-
Unlimited Capacity
(12-24-2009, 09:46 AM)
-tetsuo-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Hesemonni

Digital Foundry's Darksiders feature can't come soon enough.


What's this, now?
SolidSnakex
Member
(12-24-2009, 09:51 AM)
SolidSnakex's Avatar

Originally Posted by _tetsuo_

What's this, now?

Comparison between the PS3 and 360 versions. Reports are that they're pretty much identical.
Hesemonni
Junior Member
(12-24-2009, 09:52 AM)
Hesemonni's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

Comparison between the PS3 and 360 versions. Reports are that they're pretty much identical.

There will be blood!
Decado
Member
(12-24-2009, 09:57 AM)
It will be pretty expensive start of the year for fans of the genre if Darksiders, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno and God of War 3 all turn out well.
Net_Wrecker
(12-24-2009, 10:09 AM)
Net_Wrecker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Decado

It will be pretty expensive start of the year for fans of the genre if Darksiders, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno and God of War 3 all turn out well.

That's exactly why I want all of these to succeed. I love the action/action adventure genre, and this gen hasn't had nearly as many as it should have. We already know Bayonetta will be amazing, and I'm hoping the remaining 3 will be as well.
El-Suave
Member
(12-24-2009, 01:49 PM)
El-Suave's Avatar
Gamepro Germany reviewed it:
PS3: 92%, Xbox 360: 91% (they claim the 360 version has more tearing)
Game length is supposed to be 25 hours.
forrest
formerly nacire
(12-24-2009, 02:05 PM)
forrest's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hesemonni

Digital Foundry's Darksiders feature can't come soon enough.

I'll have to check that out. I usually go to LensofTruth as I personally know the guys, feel they do a great job and trust that they approach each comparison unbiased. The way they summarize the comparison for a quick glance is nice too.
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(12-24-2009, 03:20 PM)
Snuggles's Avatar
I just now got around to watching some Darksiders gameplay videos....it actual looks really good, I'm interested now. It's unfortunate that it's sandwiched between Bayonetta and Mass Effect 2, though, but I'll pick it up eventually if it turns out as good as it looks.
Jube3
Member
(12-24-2009, 08:17 PM)
Jube3's Avatar
Good stuff on the OP, Im looking forward to this games and the positive reviews help. For some reason I get a Brutal Legend vibe from the videos and its tough to shake. Definitely checking this out.
~Devil Trigger~
In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
(12-24-2009, 08:44 PM)
~Devil Trigger~'s Avatar

Originally Posted by El-Suave

Gamepro Germany reviewed it:
PS3: 92%, Xbox 360: 91% (they claim the 360 version has more tearing)
Game length is supposed to be 25 hours.

its Gamepro but good news-ish
Tokubetsu
Member
(12-24-2009, 08:45 PM)
Tokubetsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jube3

Good stuff on the OP, Im looking forward to this games and the positive reviews help. For some reason I get a Brutal Legend vibe from the videos and its tough to shake. Definitely checking this out.

Don't worry, there aren't any RTS segments. Straight action adventure.
Kazuma Kiryu
Member
(12-24-2009, 08:50 PM)
Kazuma Kiryu's Avatar
what i'm finding really weird are the impressions that the 360 version is the one with more technical problems...
we'll just have to wait and see
Rated-Rsuperstar
Member
(12-24-2009, 08:54 PM)
Rated-Rsuperstar's Avatar
I really love all the use of color. Developers take note, even if your game is set in the apocalypse it doesn't just need to be brown and black.
Cruzader
Banned
(12-24-2009, 08:59 PM)
Cruzader's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rated-Rsuperstar

I really love all the use of color. Developers take note, even if your game is set in the apocalypse it doesn't just need to be brown and black.

Seriously, Im loving the art style too. Anyhow no one getting this from Amazon and not using their Home code? Please dont get mad if I keep asking. I know there are some ppls out there not really caring about the artbook/figure, just a good deal. Like I said, cant buy this game till mid-late feb and will miss the code :(
SolidSnakex
Member
(12-24-2009, 09:01 PM)
SolidSnakex's Avatar

Originally Posted by kazuma_pt

what i'm finding really weird are the impressions that the 360 version is the one with more technical problems...
we'll just have to wait and see

It's a 1% difference in score though. Which means that the difference between the two versions is very minor. Not really a big deal at all.
Kazuma Kiryu
Member
(12-24-2009, 09:08 PM)
Kazuma Kiryu's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

It's a 1% difference in score though. Which means that the difference between the two versions is very minor. Not really a big deal at all.

oh these scores mean nothing to me. i already decided i want to play the game based on the footage i've seen this year.
i only have a ps3/wii setup so i have no intention of buying the 360 version either.
i'm just curious because this gen it's 90% the other way around (the technical problems i mean).
and i'm actually glad if it's true because that means most developers are coming to grips with the ps3 and with 2, perhaps 3 more years of life of the ps3, that's good news.
ZealousD
Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
(12-24-2009, 09:14 PM)
ZealousD's Avatar
Working at GameStop has its perks. Lookie what I got!







The universal code for unlocking The Harvester is included in the OP.
glaurung
Member
(12-24-2009, 09:17 PM)
glaurung's Avatar
Can you also unlock the Harvester scythe by simply playing the game?

I mean, does the code simply unlock it from the beginning?
ZealousD
Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
(12-24-2009, 09:28 PM)
ZealousD's Avatar

Originally Posted by glaurung

Can you also unlock the Harvester scythe by simply playing the game?

I mean, does the code simply unlock it from the beginning?

The Harvester is basically just a reskin of the normal Scythe with a soul collection bonus. You obtain the normal scythe near the beginning of the game, I'm assuming that The Harvester just replaces the normal scythe.
mjc
Member
(12-24-2009, 09:39 PM)
mjc's Avatar
What's all included in that artbook? Is it just a couple pages of art and a full issue's worth of a comic by Joe?

I might reserve at GS if the book is meaty enough.
ZealousD
Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
(12-24-2009, 09:54 PM)
ZealousD's Avatar

Originally Posted by mjc

What's all included in that artbook? Is it just a couple pages of art and a full issue's worth of a comic by Joe?

I might reserve at GS if the book is meaty enough.

The comic is actually only 22 pages long. There's about 68 pages of concept art. You also get a fold-out poster, which is basically identical to the cover.
DieH@rd
Banned
(12-24-2009, 09:56 PM)
DieH@rd's Avatar

Originally Posted by mjc

What's all included in that artbook? Is it just a couple pages of art and a full issue's worth of a comic by Joe?

I might reserve at GS if the book is meaty enough.

It has ~100 pages.
Takuhi
Member
(12-24-2009, 10:16 PM)
Takuhi's Avatar

Originally Posted by cjelly

Just pre-ordered with a free (real life) t-shirt! Woo!

Wha? Who has the shirt promotion?
RavenFox
Banned
(12-24-2009, 10:29 PM)
RavenFox's Avatar
Damn my wallet
CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
(12-24-2009, 10:32 PM)
CrunchinJelly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takuhi

Wha? Who has the shirt promotion?

ShopTo. They are UK and EU only. :(

They only have a really crappy photo of it:

Dead Prince
Banned
(12-24-2009, 10:34 PM)
Dead Prince's Avatar
i'm gonna wait for GAF impression. i really like the look of the game have no moniez. sort got more interested in th game today.
AshMcCool
Member
(12-25-2009, 12:53 AM)
The apparent quality of the game is a suprise to me. As if the next months doesn't have enough high quality games. Well, I have no money anyway, so I probably skip that one and get it much later.
bathala
Banned
(12-25-2009, 01:00 AM)
bathala's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZealousD

The comic is actually only 22 pages long. There's about 68 pages of concept art. You also get a fold-out poster, which is basically identical to the cover.

Ok, sold

I'm a Joe Mad fan
Freeza Under The Shower
Member
(12-25-2009, 02:00 AM)
Am I evil for preordering Mass Effect 2 but not Darksiders even if have been following Darksiders since its announcement?

It troubles me greatly.
mjc
Member
(12-25-2009, 02:07 AM)
mjc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeitgeister

Am I evil for preordering Mass Effect 2 but not Darksiders even if have been following Darksiders since its announcement?

It troubles me greatly.

You probably have reason to be cautious, what with Darksiders being a new IP versus ME2 as an established installment that will most likely be fantastic.

I still think Darksiders will be a good game. Nothing earth shattering but I'm expecting mid-to-high 8.whatevers from reviewers.
ZealousD
Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
(12-25-2009, 03:55 AM)
ZealousD's Avatar

Originally Posted by mjc

Nothing earth shattering but I'm expecting mid-to-high 8.whatevers from reviewers.

Pretty much all the early print magazine reviews are giving it 9's, though.
FrenchMovieTheme
I'm waiting for a star to fall
(12-25-2009, 08:53 AM)
FrenchMovieTheme's Avatar
wtf why haven't i heard of this game before?

truthfully i did see the boxart on amazon a month or so back and thought it was some type of chess game or magic the gathering card game.

anyhow, i watched the preview on gametrailers and i think i'll get it on release date. the game looks to be pretty sweet, plus mark hamil is in it. but his voice in the game sounds a lot like the joker in batman and he said he wouldn't do it anymore! you money whore!.... actually he probably did his lines around the same time as his batman: AA lines

good thread friends, will purchase because of this thread leading me to more info
Dahbomb
Member
(12-25-2009, 09:01 AM)
Dahbomb's Avatar
Good to see the game getting good reviews. There needs to be competition in the action genre from all fronts, not just the Eastern front (ie. Bayonetta). I also like that this game is more adventure-like.
FrenchMovieTheme
I'm waiting for a star to fall
(12-25-2009, 09:04 AM)
FrenchMovieTheme's Avatar
i tried out the bayonetta demo and didn't like it very much. i think i've had my fill of fast paced arcade style (DMC) action/shooter games cause i just wasn't enjoying it (although the graphics were cool).

do you guys remember that 4 horseman of the apocalypse game that Acclaim was doing before they went bankrupt? is darksiders at all related?
Arde5643
Member
(12-25-2009, 09:11 AM)

Originally Posted by FrenchMovieTheme

i tried out the bayonetta demo and didn't like it very much. i think i've had my fill of fast paced arcade style (DMC) action/shooter games cause i just wasn't enjoying it (although the graphics were cool).

do you guys remember that 4 horseman of the apocalypse game that Acclaim was doing before they went bankrupt? is darksiders at all related?

Darksiders is more of Zelda meets DMC plus some God of War fatalities basically.

You'll see in some videos some platforming and puzzle solving using War's tools - which he'll gain a la Zelda/Metroidvania style. Go to dungeons, get a tool, solve puzzles, a bit of platforming, beat some bosses.
Domstercool
Member
(12-25-2009, 01:19 PM)
Domstercool's Avatar
There's a Panzer Dragoon type section too.
Ninja Moomin
Banned
(12-25-2009, 03:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Domstercool

There's a Panzer Dragoon type section too.


i am buying the shit out of this game.

it looks amazing.
Domstercool
Member
(12-25-2009, 03:16 PM)
Domstercool's Avatar
Lasts for about 5 mins I'd say, it's on the way to the first major "dungeon", it even has charged lock on shots :D

Thread Tools