• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Are we expecting anything amazing from intel's announcements on the 24th? I have a feeling Ryzen will be the value king for a long time to come. What you're getting for $300 in the 1700 is insane.

Are we expecting anything amazing from intel's announcements on the 24th? I have a feeling Ryzen will be the value king for a long time to come. What you're getting for $300 in the 1700 is insane.

Heck, the 1700 has already fallen down to the $270 range on some sales. Microcenter had it at about $275 with $30 ($50?) off any compatible motherboard if you bought them together. I don't see how Intel competes on price.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm looking for a GTX 1080 that will be an RX Vega across the board for under $606.94 after tax and shipping. Anyone have any suggestions? Oh and it can't have any orange/red/garrish colors in it.

Ocho

Is the ncase the best solution for a case of its size? I want to replace my mini-itx for something that fits a 240mm radiator for cpu cooling.

bomblord1

Banned
Is the ncase the best solution for a case of its size? I want to replace my mini-itx for something that fits a 240mm radiator for cpu cooling.

only mini-ITX case I know of that fits a 240mm radiator is the EVGA Hadron Hydro (well it fits 2 120mm fans and is made for liquid AIO cooling)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811205012

I had the air version and it was absolute garbage though. So much pain to work in (literally had to use tweezers to connect things like the Power SW header) and nearly impossible to make any changes to it without complete disassembly. I was at a point for I thought a lot of power in a tiny case was cool but the trade-offs just weren't worth it.

That said having a liquid cooler should make parts access significantly easier so this version might not be as bad.

Canklestank

Neo Member
After picking up a Dell 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor a couple weeks ago my 970 just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Just dropped some cash to pick up the EVGA Geforce 1080TI FTW3.

Pretty to excited to see what it can do, hoping it will give me a steady 144 in most games!

So jealous...

I'm trying to patiently wait for the price of the 24" version of that monitor to come back down. With mining and RAM and memory prices so high, I'm sitting here itching for some kind of upgrade and I just can't pull the trigger.

I know it's probably best for me, but it's so frustrating lol.

Bloodember

There are many itx cases that fit a 240 rad, two I know that fit are the Phanteks Evolv itx and the NZXT Manta.

ISee

Yeah I initially wanted at 1070 when I read that Nvidia cut the price down to $350 which is closer to my budget but right now every 1070 card I see retails for about $500 which is just too rich for me.

I'm coming from an XB1 so I'm sure a 1060 will feel like a huge upgrade for me none the less lol.

How long do you think a 1060 would last me though before I have to upgrade again?

I'd say a gtx 1060 should be able to push for 1080p/60 on console equivalent settings (at least) until the next console generation starts (mid/late 2019, maybe). If you aim to play at high/v high or even ultra PC settings you'll probably want to upgrade in a year.
But don't take this as a definitive answer, I'm not a wizard and I can't read the future. I'm just guessing here.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I swapped from an Intel CPU/mobo to an AMD CPU/mobo and didn't reinstall Windows 10. It worked fine. However, almost anyone out there will tell you (and I agree with this) that you should reinstall Windows when swapping motherboards, especially if going from Intel to AMD or vice versa.

Thank you, I figured I'd have to.

I'm nervous about the idea of a fresh install. Hopefully I can find a guide on it.

So jealous...

I'm trying to patiently wait for the price of the 24" version of that monitor to come back down. With mining and RAM and memory prices so high, I'm sitting here itching for some kind of upgrade and I just can't pull the trigger.

I bought a basically flawless-but-used S2417DG from Adorama on eBay for $290 which included free shipping. Came in the original box with all accessories. I was ecstatic to get it at a sub $300 price, even used. It was actually listed at $310 on eBay but I made an offer for $290 and they accepted that.

see5harp

Thank you, I figured I'd have to.

I'm nervous about the idea of a fresh install. Hopefully I can find a guide on it.

It's easier than ever these days. You don't necessarily have to format the drive. Just do fresh install from within windows and it's basically the same thing. You just need to go and delete the old windows.old folder after it's done.

linko9

Can someone explain to me what the process will be if I get a SSD for my existing computer? It currently has a single 1 TB HDD, which is 75% full. I assume I'll want all of the OS files on the SSD, is that easy to move over? And when using steam, is it easy to tell it where to install games, or move games from one drive to another? I'd probably only be looking to get a 250 GB drive.

DSN2K

every time I look to upgrade my PC I get all the way to putting CPU and Motherboard in the Basket and then I get to DDR4 ram and I back the fuck away. Seriously I got 16GB of DDR3 Ram for Peanuts a few years back. What happened !?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's easier than ever these days. You don't necessarily have to format the drive. Just do fresh install from within windows and it's basically the same thing. You just need to go and delete the old windows.old folder after it's done.

Looks like I choose to do a reset? Where would I locate the old windows folder afterwards?

So I have a dilemma.
Over the next two months I'm thinking I want to build my PC
I have a pretty good idea of what I want, money isn't really a problem but i don't want to spend more than I have to. My current build might end up being over $3-3.5kCAD including the monitor and tax and what not, and while I don't really mind spending that much, its certainly not ideal and if I don't need to spend that much to have a great set up I obviously don't want to.

I also don't know whether or not i should wait for the 20XX series and 8700 or just start now.

So I have a dilemma.
Over the next two months I'm thinking I want to build my PC
I have a pretty good idea of what I want, money isn't really a problem but i don't want to spend more than I have to. My current build might end up being over $3-3.5kCAD including the monitor and tax and what not, and while I don't really mind spending that much, its certainly not ideal and if I don't need to spend that much to have a great set up I obviously don't want to.

I also don't know whether or not i should wait for the 20XX series and 8700 or just start now.

I'd suggest filling out that survey thing in the OP. Also, apparently Intel's coffee lake CPUs will be announced on Monday, so let's see what things are like then. I wouldn't buy things piecemeal if I were you--just get it all in one go (unless you're like a week from building).

hitgirl

Nvidia DSR doesn't seem to be working for me on my GTX 1070. I enable all DSR resolutions in the Nvidia control panel, launch the game and there's nothing past 1080p in the game menues. Tried this on a few games. Anyone have any ideas?

I'd suggest filling out that survey thing in the OP. Also, apparently Intel's coffee lake CPUs will be announced on Monday, so let's see what things are like then. I wouldn't buy things piecemeal if I were you--just get it all in one go (unless you're like a week from building).

Your Current Specs: MSI laptop with a gtx1070
Budget: 3.5K(Including tax and monitor) or Below Canada
Main Use: gaming and video/photo editing, digital art, maybe some 3D modeling so I guess 5.
Monitor Resolution:Need a good 4k monitor for photo editing so I guess 4k
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: for 3.5k I'd hopefully be getting the best of the best.
Looking to reuse any parts?:First PC
When will you build?: No deadline really, It's not a neccesity but I want it and can pay for it.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Venfayth

So jealous...

Ha, I'm really excited. I've been using my current rig for like four or five years now and this plus the monitor will be my first upgrade since I got my 970.

Nvidia DSR doesn't seem to be working for me on my GTX 1070. I enable all DSR resolutions in the Nvidia control panel, launch the game and there's nothing past 1080p in the game menues. Tried this on a few games. Anyone have any ideas?

I had this same issue on my 1080 Ti. Never could figure it out. Eventually bought a 1440p monitor anyway and never went back to trying to resolve this issue.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pretty massive PC upgrade (besides the video card) and I just want some reassurance that it will be worth the money. My current PC is about 4 years old at this point and was pretty low-spec when I bought it, so I want to make sure that what I'm upgrading will make a pretty decent difference.

Current build:
Mobo: MSI LGA1155/Intel B75/DDR3/SATA3 and USB 3.0/A and GbE/MicroATX Motherboard B75MA-E33
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53470
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.5V 240-Pin UDIMM BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00
Graphics card: RX580 (this will move to the new system)

New build:
Mobo: MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen B350 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 micro-ATX Motherboard (B350M MORTAR)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Processor (YD160XBCAEWOF)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000) C15 for DDR4 Systems, Red LED (CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R)
Graphics card: RX580 (same as above)

I have this silly notion in my head that the graphics card is nearly everything in games, but the CPU (and even the much, much faster RAM) should make a pretty massive difference even in gaming right? If it matters, I play a lot of PUBG, Dark Souls 3, and a bunch of other graphically intensive Steam stuff. Obviously not looking to spend a ton of money, but I can get away with the above upgrade for around $600 (including a new case, heat sync, SSD, etc etc that I didn't list, and I don't need a graphics card).

Also, is there any issue with me going for a mATX B350 and buying a mATX-sized case? I won't be putting a DVD drive or even an HDD in there, and really will only be putting in the RAM, graphics card, and maybe a wifi card (although it will almost always be wired).

Anyway, if anyone could push me over the cliff (or give me a reason to pull back) I'd greatly appreciate it :D

hitgirl

I had this same issue on my 1080 Ti. Never could figure it out. Eventually bought a 1440p monitor anyway and never went back to trying to resolve this issue.

Ah damn. Oh well. Figured I have some extra performance on the table in my 1070 and was thinking of downsampling from 1440p.

Edit: Well not it's working, maybe just had to reset computer or something silly.

Man gigabyte's RMA website is pretty... bad.. Hopefully they fixed the card cause it just updated that they shipped it back to me. Still no email from them about the RMA process, what they found, or shipping confirmation :\

Lets hope it works! Due in a 2 weeks or so :\

The best bet for 144hz gaming is intel 7700k, here is a list that is well within your budget, it is up to you if you want to add secondary storage or upgrade to a 1080ti but that would end up being at the latter end of your budget:

tgEO9Sm.png

Check out my rig:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/h3w6Mp

I can run every game 1440p and 144hz on high-ultrasetting , no problem

Is this first rig considerably better than the second? The latter seems quite a bit cheaper, or that may just be me assuming a skewed rate between dollars and £.

In terms of bang for buck, would it be recommended to use 1080Ti, or rather use 1080 and in a year or 2 upgrade it if necessary?

So far that first rig seems great, thanks for posting. If I can find a deal on a larger SSD I may use that.

kuYuri

I decided to take a gamble and returned the Asus PG348Q I bought and went with a refurbished Acer Predator X34. That allowed me to save $350+ compared to Asus. Hope it doesn't have too many issues.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You will rarely hear me say this but now is a bad time to put together a build. All because of miners and Intel trying to get everyone to shut up about Ryzen. If my board supports 8700k I'll get it otherwise I can wait. I don't see any games out in the next two years that is going to really take advantage of the hardware. Cyberpunk is the next big thing and it's a year or two away.

every time I look to upgrade my PC I get all the way to putting CPU and Motherboard in the Basket and then I get to DDR4 ram and I back the fuck away. Seriously I got 16GB of DDR3 Ram for Peanuts a few years back. What happened !?

PC gaming and system building has become increasingly expensive in recent years and its currently at a high point where things have simply become too costly. What's worse is there's no end in sight for the RAM price premium and graphics cards might not return to normal prices until Christmas. Other component costs have risen too, like monitors and high-end coolers. Enough to put most people off the pursuit.

You will rarely hear me say this but now is a bad time to put together a build. All because of miners and Intel trying to get everyone to shut up about Ryzen. If my board supports 8700k I'll get it otherwise I can wait. I don't see any games out in the next two years that is going to really take advantage of the hardware. Cyberpunk is the next big thing and it's a year or two away.

Yep.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

the only two games i think will warrant an upgrade for me would be Red Dead Redemption 2 (let's not pretend it won't come to PC) and Cyberpunk 2077. I'll be buying RDR2 on PS4 though cause I ain't waiting around for Rockstar and sure as hell ain't double dipping. So that just leaves 2077 for me. I'll keep my PC until that is ready and then i'll build something around the specs for it.

ISee

If I'm not wrong a big and important RAM manufacturing plant was destroyed in a fire some time ago, while demand started to go up. A very unlucky combination.
Then the second mining craze started and miners started to buy out certain GPU models in the $/€300-500 tier. This resulted in 'normal people' to go for slightly more expansive GPUs and some miners followed. In the end nearly all tiers of GPUs are now ~50-100 bucks more expansive.
Even worse Samsung started to cut back GDDR production this month and expects GDDR5 prices to rise by 30% next month (they want to concentrate on NAND flash). We can expect GPU prices to rise again by a couple of bucks.
In don't think this all is going to change anytime soon and I feel the pain of everybody having to build now.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not sure if this is possible but i want to turn my case fans down to a low RPM or off completely when my PC is left idle. it's not noise that's an issue because my case is very quiet but i am just worried if they are running 24/7 they will degrade quicker. i don't currently leave my PC on when not using it but since my PC is now being used as a media server it will be left on for much longer to run software to stream files.

my fans are all connected through the motherboard and are only 3 pin connections. can this be done with a fan curve in BIOS or do i need PWM fans + software and/or hardware (controller?).

Xyphie

Many motherboards allow for fan control of non-PWM 3-pin fans by adjusting the voltage supplied, so it's going to depend on your board.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Many motherboards allow for fan control of non-PWM 3-pin fans by adjusting the voltage supplied, so it's going to depend on your board.

i just had a look. i can set a fan curve in BIOS. i was able to turn it off completely but just set it to run a little lower.

Renekton

Gamers Nexus just said Z170 board support is very unlikely to happen.

Jabronium

I decided to take a gamble and returned the Asus PG348Q I bought and went with a refurbished Acer Predator X34. That allowed me to save $350+ compared to Asus. Hope it doesn't have too many issues.

I just got my X34 refurb on Thursday. Haven't gotten to really rigorously test it yet but after just a few minutes I didn't find any issues other than the "G-Sync" sticker in the corner is a little scratched up. I was quite apprehensive, but seems to have turned out great. Hopefully you have similar luck.

not sure if this is possible but i want to turn my case fans down to a low RPM or off completely when my PC is left idle. it's not noise that's an issue because my case is very quiet but i am just worried if they are running 24/7 they will degrade quicker. i don't currently leave my PC on when not using it but since my PC is now being used as a media server it will be left on for much longer to run software to stream files.

my fans are all connected through the motherboard and are only 3 pin connections. can this be done with a fan curve in BIOS or do i need PWM fans + software and/or hardware (controller?).

You can control 3 pins it just won't have the same level of control. Try setting them up in the bios or see if your mobo has fan control software. Speedfan might work also but I don't have that much experience with it. Don't think you can turn them off at idle however.

kuYuri

I just got my X34 refurb on Thursday. Haven't gotten to really rigorously test it yet but after just a few minutes I didn't find any issues other than the "G-Sync" sticker in the corner is a little scratched up. I was quite apprehensive, but seems to have turned out great. Hopefully you have similar luck.

Thanks! I wouldn't mind a small cosmetic damage on the bezel as long as the screen itself is good. I'm mostly concerned with dead/stuck pixels and really bad IPS glow/backlight bleed. Hopefully it also OCs to the full 100hz without issue too.

EDIT: Just got it and tested it. Aesthetically, it seems fine physically, but it seems to have one dead pixel that I found near the top left corner. So close too, cause it has very minimal backlight bleed, it's actually less than the Asus monitor that I returned.

Nekofrog

Banned
I have an nvidia gtx1070 or whatever but it's paired with an old i5 2500k. i got an oculus rift last week and performance for the most part seems to be really great in most everything i throw at it, but dolphin vr (gamecube/wii emulator vr) has really really strong fps drops into the 30s with VR. in normal dolphin there is literally 0 fps drop.

i know dolphin is big on cpu usage, is this a case of being bottlenecked by an ancient processor? should i upgrade?

Frostman

So I might need some assistance, I've just built a backup Ryzen build, and I can't get the ram to run any higher than 2133, when it's rated for 3000.

I've updated the Bios, but whenever I manually set the clock to 2933, it fails to post. Any ideas?

The motherboard is the Asus B350F.

^ You may want to see if there's an updated BIOS with improved RAM compatibility. I think that's been a thing for the Ryzen motherboards.

But I would try setting the timings/voltage directly and try a lowered ram speed, maybe 2800mhz at first and see if it works.

Top Bottom