• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Billen

Banned
It will be interesting to see if other games show similar discrepancies. The differences on a technical level are huge (I mean 50%...seriously), which is also clearly visible when it comes to jaggies etc.

I wonder how much of this is attributable to pure performance, and due to less time spent with the Xbox One (if that is the case) or it's potentially moved release schedule.

Just watched the IGN video too:
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/battlefield-4-xbox-oneps4-graphics-comparison

The XBONE version has a crisper image, again. PS4 has a blur filter going on.
I don't know if it's FXAA or the upscaler.

PS4 fan here, and but XBOne has a much nicer image. It's just cleaner. Less muddy/blurry. In every video I've watched, multiple sources.

Lol
What

ib0gOrDzD8ScKG.gif

HWb79lR.gif

So we basically have this going on:

ib09jGoJjzT8O2.jpg

XBone is clearly superior.
OMG, I thought I was getting sudden massive cataracts when I looked at the "PS4" image. Look at those colours pop in that last one though.

Has anything interesting happened besides a few names being finally greyed out.

I'm a bit confused about the AA situation. Some people in the thread seem to be saying the XB1 has no AA going on? But others say there is AA but the lower resolution, high contrast/limited RGB and sharpness is making that AA less effective?

Why are some people suggesting the PS4 has way better frame rate? Seemed like the Bone held up with the PS4 version most of the time, occasionally dipping 2-4 frames lower in more demanding scenes. That's not really enough to be noticeable during normal gameplay.

I know the PS4 version has about 50% more pixels, but did anyone have trouble seeing that pixel advantage? (Full disclosure: I own a 1080p laptop monitor, so I should be able to tell) I know YouTube's player can affect quality, but in the DF videos I had trouble picking up the differences as well (maybe Bone's hardware scaler is as good as advertised?)
seriously? u don't play your console on a laptop monitor, that's like 15 or 17 inches? go watch the pic or video on a 50+ inches tv.

Dudes. You can't be real saying the Xbone version looks better. It's just oversaturated and filled with noise. That's like the Loudness Wars with visuals. OMG.

Wait, so my PC games which are a lot sharper than console games are just filled with noise? Damn this whole time.

The PS4 version looks like it's running high Post Process AA which makes it blurry. So basically if the PS4 version looks inferior in anyway it because the Xbox version looks worse and our perception is just fucked up?

CoG

Wow, I wasn't expecting parity but this is a far larger gap than I had thought there would be. I have just become much more interested in seeing more multiplatform games' comparisons.

With people going back and forth between crushed blacks and color saturation the point is being missed that the PS4 version is outputting nearly twice the pixels, with AA, at a more stable frame rate.

There it is -- after months of speculation from GAF and denial/balance talk from Albert and Nelson the theme for this generation has been established. The Xbone versions of titles are always going to be behind in performance and visual fidelity. This is a much wider gap than initial 360 vs PS3 comparisons. Never was there a title at PS3 launch where the 360 was outputting double the pixels with higher fidelity. It's insane how anemic the Xbox One is in comparison to the PS4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
can anyone explain me what the benefit of "random textures" is? i dont get it
Occasionally someone gets a jacket made out of salami and sometimes people fire guns named out of jackets. It's have a fun! Enjoy! Did you have a pleasure!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
can anyone explain me what the benefit of "random textures" is? i dont get it

Probably that they don't take storage space on the disk/download since they are computed at runtime.

Raist

Banned
Well, that's that. Even if you're like Gies and want to believe that both versions are barely different, you can't exactly forget that to achieve this, they had to drop AO (which is rather expensive) and cut the resolution by 35%. And still the framerate isn't as good.

So while "well it looks kinda the same" can be all you care about, that's also a stong indication of the capabilities of both platforms.

Here is the issue with people screaming there is parity

Both the ps4 and xone have comparable graphics in the videos. In single player they nearly look the same.

What people fail to realise is that ps4 is doing it at a 50% higher resolution with anti aliasing.

If dice took the ps4 version and reduced the resolution 50% and maxed out the card like it
Did here, the ps3 version would have utterly destroyed the xone in terms of textures, aa, particle effects and lighting etc due to the extra power it got from the reduced resolution. The only way dice could have made the game look the same is to up the resolution of the ps4 higher than the xone

Addnan

The difference is quite jarring in some instances. The lack of AA in Xbox is instantly noticeable. The PS4 version is looking decent, but not sure if it looks good enough for me to consider buying it twice to place with friends.

except for the like 50% more pixels and higher framerate lol...this really cant be stated enough....

PS4
- higher framerate
- 50%+ more pixels rendered
- better effects
- certain effects that are simply absent from the Xbone version
- better aliasing BY FAR

its doing all of those things while pushing significantly more pixels...thats A LOT of difference...

This. I am fucking disappointed, even when the xbox one version is 720p it still can't keep up, and the artificial sharpening effect is horrible. DF said it right, it's producing a darbee like effect and it's just adding information (sharpness) that is not there. I thought Penello said that there wouldn't even be a fps difference and that there was no way Microsoft would give Sony the lead? Highly disappointed, this is really making me doubt my xbox one preorder... It's not even 1:1 despite 720p vs 900p..... Crushed blacks is nothing to worry about since that can be fixed, the artificial sharpness effect can't.

RooMHM

**this is meant as a joke**That is not a *real* comparison at all, both versions look fine and 99% identical.
I m not sure AA, resolution and framerate amount to 1% ... Also this quality of image, this resolution, this framerate on XBO shouldnt and musnt be considered lookîg "fine". Wayto have low expectations...
How do you want devs and manufacturers to make better products with that kind of demands ?!

ElFly

One thing I like about the PS4 version is how far into the corner the UI is.

Seems that Xbone keeps the requirements of keeping UI elements more centered.

This is not even counting that the higher PS4 resolution makes the UI smaller.

All this talk of the PS4 needing a hardware upscaler is a moot point since 95% of the games will be 1080p anyway.

We just happened to get the one game in the launch lineup that isn't 1080p as our first comparison lol. How convenient that is.

Native 1080p PS4 games galore, so no need for scaling.

It's also moot because this amazing scalar that people think the X1 has is literally just a "sharpen" filter. Literally.

This. I am fucking disappointed, even when the xbox one version is 720p it still can't keep up, and the artificial sharpening effect is horrible. DF said it right, it's producing a darbee like effect and it's just adding information (sharpness) that is not there. I thought Penello said that there wouldn't even be a fps difference and that there was no way Microsoft would give Sony the lead? Highly disappointed, this is really making me doubt my xbox one preorder... It's not even 1:1 despite 720p vs 900p..... Crushed blacks is nothing to worry about since that can be fixed, the artificial sharpness effect can't.

If you want to play Xbox One's games then I wouldn't bother switching over. But in all honesty the difference is this big on the FIRST wave of games AND this is a cross generational title, the difference is probably at it's lowest here.

pestul

Hmm, I really wish they would have dialed the FXAA down to medium'ish instead of high. It definitely did add a lot blur to the PS4 version.

I'm really impressed with DICE in getting 64-player multiplayer into this though. Given how much CPU power the PC version needs vs. the anemic CPUs in both nextgen consoles.. it's quite a feat.

tkalamba

Well, that's that. Even if you're like Gies and want to believe that both versions are barely different, you can't exactly forget that to achieve this, they had to drop AO (which is rather expensive) and cut the resolution by 35%. And still the framerate isn't as good.

So while "well it looks kinda the same" can be all you care about, that's also a stong indication of the capabilities of both platforms.

AO simply didnt make it into the review build....

https://twitter.com/repi/status/395138203075633152

There have been changes to the final build not apparent in the XO version which means it'll look better at launch. Straight from Johan Andersson

Violater

If the AO is off on one console then this really isn't a fair comparison in terms of visuals.
Yes I understand that there are performance implications, but that does not mean that Dice cannot fix this right?

Binabik15

Those Jackfrag videos...Dropping helis, dropping helis everyhwere.

Weird if Dice really has PS4 version with HBAO, that should be dropped to a lower quality version for better fps. They should have dropped more ffects for 1080p, anyway.

Valnen

All this talk of the PS4 needing a hardware upscaler is a moot point since 95% of the games will be 1080p anyway.

Maybe. But all consoles should have a good hardware scaler for those of us who play on PC monitors, which generally don't have good/any scaling.

But I thought the PS4 had a hardware scaler?

DirtyLarry

The story here should not be which visuals look better. The story should be one console had to do a lower resolution in order to even make the visual comparisons nearly identical. Anyone who does not recognize this fact is in some sort of strange denial.

eso76

So that's the secret sauce.

XO has a scaler that can make lower res game cheat people into thinking the image is actually sharper.

CLEVER !

(eh)

TTOOLL

The fact is, PS4 is doing a lot more here. It's not even a fair comparison. If things are this way now I can't imagine the gap size in a couple of years.

Here it is one more time!!

XBOX ONE IS USING LIMITED RGB
XBox One DF Original Screen
H2f7BrY.png

RGB Levels "Limited" - No sharpen added
8ebTRDK.png

RGB Levels "Limited" - Sharpen Added
MX2DEGk.png

Crushing the levels to Limited RGB and "Sharpen More" (one time) for the PS4 picture replicates the XO results!

I hope this makes sense for you guys.

Your wish I my command!

Repeating for those who missed it

Top Bottom