• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch accessories (Hori/Officially licensed by Nintendo)

L Thammy

Pokken requires two screens for multi. Wii U had that, Switch doesn't. It's just a Pokken thing.

Yeah, this was probably a communication error. In Pokken the players have a behind the back view; it's designed for both players to have their own screen. No one is suggesting that the console won't support multiple controllers.

Papacheeks

Banned
The best selling versions of those streaming devices (Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku Stick) don't have Ethernet.

Yea and they are the size of a usb stick mostly your point? Anything that is a streaming "box" or device that will have to be hooked to a tv usually has ethernet. Roku boxes sell don't know what your talking about, there hare shit tons of roku boxes before they made the more portable one.

bman94

No way that's happening. I doubt Nintendo's newest console will prevent you from just using multiple controllers

The issue here isn't controllers, it's how the games them selves are designed. Pokken is designed with each player having their own perspective of their character. This can only be done with having different screens for each player which the arcade and Wii U versions could do. The issue here is that in docked mode, the Switch console is inaccessible, meaning both players would have to play on the TV screen thus making the perspective of the game split screen as opposed to one full screen for each player.

This problem also arises for a potential port of Hyrule Warriors in which again, co-op was possible because one player was on the gamepad while the other was on the TV screen. If Switch port happens then both players are stuck to a TV screen with limited screen space.

Yea and they are the size of a usb stick mostly your point? Anything that is a streaming "box" or device that will have to be hooked to a tv usually has ethernet. Roku boxes sell don't know what your talking about, there hare shit tons of roku boxes before they made the more portable one.

Roku boxes are also sold at decent profit so a 30 cents on the BOM won't make much difference whereas it's likely switch will be at a tiny margin if any at all

LordRaptor

This problem also arises for a potential port of Hyrule Warriors in which again, co-op was possible because one player was on the gamepad while the other was on the TV screen. If Switch port happens then both players are stuck to a TV screen with limited screen space.

Most musou games have same console co-op multiplayer, Hyrule Warriors would just have to do it like all the rest do

I knew Nintendo would be stupid enough to skip the ethernet port. One of the reasons I shelved my Wii U was because that garbage was missing the ethernet port and you couldn't find another adapter after mine broke. The online was pure trash without it (playing, not downloads), the only console I had problems with that.

Fuck their stupid ass decisions.

The issue here isn't controllers, it's how the games them selves are designed. Pokken is designed with each player having their own perspective of their character. This can only be done with having different screens for each player which the arcade and Wii U versions could do. The issue here is that in docked mode, the Switch console is inaccessible, meaning both players would have to play on the TV screen thus making the perspective of the game split screen as opposed to one full screen for each player.

Wouldn't imagine split screen Hyrule warriors being any issue at all

boyshine

Screen-Shot-2017-01-11-at-11.20.06-am.png

What's interesting here is that the gamecards arent without labels, they actually have labels where you can write contents on them. Could we be seeing the possibility of buying empty re-writable gamecards as a replacement for system storage? Buy a game digitally, download to proprietary gamecard. Separate from SD card for saves, virtual console games, etc. Saves on internal storage and you can stay 100% digital. I might be reading far too much into this, but since the cards aren't standard memory cards I found it interesting that those labels are on there.

Matt

My point is the same as most others: the lack of an Ethernet port is simply not a big deal to the vast majority of people. And if you want one, you can add it.

So yeah, it's fine if you wish it was included out of the box. But it's not that strange, that unusual, or that awful that there isn't one.

Anyone know if the Wii/Wii U USB Ethernet adaptor will work with the Switch? I realise that the actual Switch only has USB-C but what about the dock? Does that have standard USB3 or is it only USB-C?

I knew Nintendo would be stupid enough to skip the ethernet port. One of the reasons I shelved my Wii U was because that garbage was missing the ethernet port and you couldn't find another adapter after mine broke. The online was pure trash without it (playing, not downloads), the only console I had problems with that.

I just found plenty

Atheerios

What's interesting here is that the gamecards arent without labels, they actually have labels where you can write contents on them. Could we be seeing the possibility of buying empty re-writable gamecards as a replacement for system storage? Buy a game digitally, download to proprietary gamecard. Separate from SD card for saves, virtual console games, etc. Saves on internal storage and you can stay 100% digital. I might be reading far too much into this, but since the cards aren't standard memory cards I found it interesting that those labels are on there.

You are seeing too much into that. The image used for the gamecards is just a template or placeholder.

Papacheeks

Banned

Yea, it's polarizing hearing everyone being ok, because nintendo has never had one in any of their consoles. It doesn't make it not relevant though just because hey "Nintendo gonna Nintendo".

But whatever I'm done sick of the dogpile in here and the trolling.

Shiggy

Hori®-DS-DSi-3DS-Game-Card-Case.jpg

Matt

How could you not fine one? They aren't rare.

ZeroX03

Banned

What?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ernet+adapter&rh=i:aps,k:usb+ethernet+adapter

https://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=usb+ethernet+adapter

Yea, it's polarizing hearing everyone being ok, because nintendo has never had one in any of their consoles. It doesn't make it not relevant though just because hey "Nintendo gonna Nintendo".

But whatever I'm done sick of the dogpile in here and the trolling.

Nintendo is the Apple of videogames, they could remove everything and people would be justifying any way they could.

How could you not fine one? They aren't rare.

Not where I live. I can't just go on Amazon and order one (without having to pay international fees and shipping).

Buggy Loop

Yeah let's laugh consumers for hoping Nintendo would produce a home console with features they want.

Oh yes i will. Wanting something out of a gadget that clearly isn't running for a specific market (PS4, Xbone), is laughable. Hoping is fine when the hardware is not unveilled, after it is, if you are still hoping, roughly 2 days from the presentation, for something different than what was unveilled initially, it's really laughable.

I don't consider the lack of ethernet port stupid.

Just inconvenient to the few that use it. Honestly, if it does lower the cost of the Switch, then its a smart move

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't consider the lack of ethernet port stupid.

Just inconvenient to the few that use it. Honestly, if it does lower the cost of the Switch, then its a smart move

But thats the thing it doesn't add hardly any cost to the switch dock, the I/O type port thats on the base could have a ethernet port and add very little cost.

there are docks for android phones that let you use a phone on a tv or monitor, and i cant find any that have a ethernet port either

Gale007

I don't want to get roped into this to much, but I'll say that my ps4 is about 3 feet from my router and on wifi downloads take 3 times as long as wired. I understand this is a problem with ps4 especially, but it has me concerned that if a similar issue with slow downloads happen with the switch that I'm gonna have to shell out extra money just to fix an issue.

It also has me a little worried for fighting games on the switch as well, because (personally at least) I know very few fgc members who are fine using wifi as opposed to a wired connection. With Nintendo's track record on shipping out their hardware I'm not super confident that even these ethernet dongles will be easy to come by.

Until launch though I'll try to stay hopeful that neither of these issues will arise :/

Matt

I don't want to get roped into this to much, but I'll say that my ps4 is about 3 feet from my router and on wifi downloads take 3 times as long as wired. I understand this is a problem with ps4 especially, but it has me concerned that if a similar issue with slow downloads happen with the switch that I'm gonna have to shell out extra money just to fix an issue.

It also has me a little worried for fighting games on the switch as well, because (personally at least) I know very few fgc members who are fine using wifi as opposed to a wired connection. With Nintendo's track record on shipping out their hardware I'm not super confident that even these ethernet dongles will be easy to come by.

Until launch though I'll try to stay hopeful that neither of these issues will arise :/
You don't have to buy a Nintendo made adapter. It's a standard device that lots of companies make.

phanphare

Banned

usb ethernet adapters are easy to come by, Nintendo has nothing to do with it really

-shadow-

Yay another generation of people setting up wireless and lagging in Smash and MK8. Nintendo man lol.
Even with the port build in most would go with wireless. Hell I know some who question why the option is even there.

Side note, I have a wired connection in the WiiU.

Kind of surprised that Zelda looks to be a launch title, but I'll take it. Pretty disappointed at no ethernet though.

That Switch logo is still ugly as sin. Makes everything it's printed on look cheap.

Mengetsu

Even with the port build in most would go with wireless. Hell I know some who question why the option is even there.

Side note, I have a wired connection in the WiiU.
I wouldn't mind so much if it was just the 5Ghz wifi only in the console. You just know non tech savy people and parents who set it up for the kids are gonna use that 2.4ghz.

Almost no one uses ethernet to play online these days, especially on consoles.
Me and my 5 friends have our PS4 Pros wired. So not everyone. Options are always best.

Kind of surprised that Zelda looks to be a launch title, but I'll take it. Pretty disappointed at no ethernet though.

That Switch logo is still ugly as sin. Makes everything it's printed on look cheap.

They'd catch a ton of shit if Zelda wasn't a launch title given how they've handled it recently. It was the first game shown during the initial Switch reveal, it was the first game shown live playable during the Fallon appearance, they've started a screenshot/art campaign up until the games release, they released a Zelda themed Holiday message etc. While rumors initially pointed toward it missing launch, everything Nintendo actually did pointed toward it being at launch.

SuperSah

Banned

placeholder lol

Malice215

I'm waiting to see what other fighting games get announced for the Switch. There has to be more than just Tekken for Hori to want to produce an arcade stick, and Smash, Pokken, and Injustice are designed around pad.

Zelda must be ready for launch for there to be this much branded merchandise.

MADGAME

Count me in the crowd that always connects consoles via ethernet. Somewhat disappointed if no way to do so with Switch.

Matt

I wouldn't mind so much if it was just the 5Ghz wifi only in the console. You just know non tech savy people and parents who set it up for the kids are gonna use that 2.4ghz.
5Ghz isn't inherently superior to 2.4. In fact, it's kinda worse on its own, it's just used less so the spectrum is more free.

In my home, I chose to use 2.4 as it actually performs better over a larger distance.

Top Bottom