• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

jakncoke

Banned
Yeah pretty surreal seeing them so young, a young George Carlin too so crazy. also episode 2 was like all music ffs lol

Watched Compliance (2012) last night. It was interesting, but rather fucked up. It's inspired by true events and involves someone calling a fast-food restaurant manager pretending to be a police officer. The guy on the phone tries to use authority to manipulate the person on the other end to do things. Yeah, certainly not an uplifting movie but it held my attention.

bonesquad

Watched Compliance (2012) last night. It was interesting, but rather fucked up. It's supposedly inspired by true events and involves someone calling a fast-food restaurant manager pretending to be a police officer. The guy on the phone tries to use authority to manipulate the person on the other end to do things. Yeah, certainly not an uplifting movie but it held my attention.

Supposedly? I thought it was based on true events: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_prank_call_scam#Mount_Washington.2C_Kentucky.2C_incident

Either way, no way I'm watching that.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I'm in a bad mood. Depressed/angryish. And drinking vodka. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should watch?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm in a bad mood. Depressed/angryish. And drinking vodka. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should watch?

Get your foreign on:

The Good, The Bad, The Weird
Shaolin Soccer
Battle Royale
District B13

Laughter is the best medicine:

Jackass 3
Happy (documentary)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Bro it up:

The Warriors
The Expendables
Top Gun

Even men have to cry:

The Fall
World Trade Center
United 93
Freedom Writers

Scare your anger away:

The Shrine
Insidious

Watched Compliance (2012) last night. It was interesting, but rather fucked up. It's inspired by true events and involves someone calling a fast-food restaurant manager pretending to be a police officer. The guy on the phone tries to use authority to manipulate the person on the other end to do things. Yeah, certainly not an uplifting movie but it held my attention.

Supposedly? I thought it was based on true events: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_prank_call_scam#Mount_Washington.2C_Kentucky.2C_incident

Either way, no way I'm watching that.
Interesting, watching it now

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added Today:

30 for 30 series, includes: 9.79*, Benji, Broke, Ghosts of Ole Miss, Straight Outta L.A., The Fab Five, The Legend of Jimmy the Greek, There's No Place Like Home

Against the Wall (Indie, Drama)
The American Astronaut (Sci-Fi, Western, Musical)
Big Rig (Documentary)

Budrus (Documentary)
Coldplay Live 2012 (Music)
Jane Eyre (TV series, Drama, British)

Killing Emmett Young (Thriller)
Lost in Siberia (Drama, Foreign/Russian)
Morning Glory (Romantic, Drama)

The Neighbor (Thriller)
No Turning Back (Indie, Drama)
Run for Your Life (Documentary)

Sanctuary (Action, Thriller)
SEC Storied: Going Big (Documentary)
Sex and the Teenage Mind (Comedy)

Skid Row (Documentary)
Something to Cheer About (Documentary)
Stingray Sam (Sci-Fi, Western, Musical)

Throttle (Thriller)
Hermano (Drama, Foreign/Spanish)

FloatOn

I'm an hour into The Raven. It's okay-ish so far. A more serious and probably crappier Sherlock Holmes (robert downey jr version).

I'm a fan of this setting in film though and John Cusack so I owed it to myself to give this a go.

Enco

The Horde is a fun French zombie movie.

Not a masterpiece but enjoyable.

Timecrimes is great. The cover put me off for so long but I'm glad I watched it. Pretty depressing. Worth the watch.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Timecrimes is great. The cover put me off for so long but I'm glad I watched it. Pretty depressing. Worth the watch.

Timecrimes had me hooked the first 30-45 minutes. I think it fell apart a bit in the middle. But the movie is mind-binding, and pretty good. Just go into it without reading wtf it is about.

Just saw this. Half way through I though I had the film figured out and wondered how they were gonna fill the remaining time.... They did just that.

sleepykyo

When shows expire does netflix go about getting them back at any stage or are they just gone for good? I had a lot of those Korean shows I wanted to watch and netflix is pretty much my only way of watching them :(

Most of the Korean dramas on Netflix seem to available on Hulu as well if you don't mind the ads.

JLG-

Adam West's Batman is up:

Batman: The Movie (1966)
6Ohbzdc.jpg

C4Lukins

America In Primetime- A really good 4 part documentary about television. Includes interviews from the creators of Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men, and True Blood just to name a few. Tons of television actors, producers and so on. Just really well done and very informative. I had never heard of this, I would love someone to tell me where it originally aired.

Compliance- An interesting take on a true story, but there is not much going on there. It does not do a good job of conveying the horror of the situation it presents.

SchoolGirl Hitchhikers: I will just quote the description. "Two comely young hitchhikers with a penchant for lesbian sex become involved with a band of jewel thieves when they enter a seemingly abandoned villa." I think it does what it is trying to do quite well.

The Gift- I have seen this movie a dozen times and still love it. Sam Raimi horror film that is more in line with A Simple Plan then Evil Dead. Just a really fun flick.

Whale Rider- A film that deserves a lot more love then I think it gets. Not many people watched it ten years ago despite I think the lead young actress getting nominated for all sorts of awards. A real quality flick.

Opiate

Has anyone done any crude math to see if Netflix's stable is, in aggregate, growing? I know movies are expiring and being added all the time. Are there more being added or being dropped, over a large period of time?

jakncoke

Banned
Has anyone done any crude math to see if Netflix's stable is, in aggregate, growing? I know movies are expiring and being added all the time. Are there more being added or being dropped, over a large period of time?

I havent done any math like that but i try and pay attention and usually its about even, till the exchange on the 1st when there was a deficit of about 9 pages. Just checked still above 14k watchable titles/shows so it must be somewhat neutral still to stay above 14k.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/all

Watched Margin Call. It's a bit of a dry subject (2008 banking crisis) but I loved it. Great cast. Well acted. And they made the crisis and how certain firms reacted, easier to understand. Also, it helps to remind that the situation was brought about by people that knew about it and made the situation worse and people that tried to stop it by doing the right thing. I know for me, sometimes I just think of "Wall Street" as some autonomous monster that has a single will and its good to be reminded that there was human conflict behind the whole situation.

I watched a few movies over the weekend...

Hell - pretty solid post apocalyptic foreign movie. It was entertaining. The best one of the weekend lot for me.
Rosewood Lane - this one interested me for a bit. It's not what you think it is but, it would be better if it was...I think.
Beneath the Darkness - I thought it was average until the very last line:
Love sucks.
That was so cheesy it ruined the entire movie for me. It could have been good. The acting in it is pretty bad though. That's a little surprising with Dennis Quaid in it.
Kill 'em All - your average B assassin movie.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Last batch of movies, there were more expired, than added. The batch before that, it was a bit of a wash.

If you looked at the monthly releases and what expired for the past two years, Netflix was losing more than they would be gaining. It's slowed down it seems but still sometimes you see far more expiring than being added. Don't remember seeing any point recently where more was added than expired.

charsace

If you know a way to access their data it wouldn't be hard to find out.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I enjoyed the horde, sort of in the same vein as the raid, and people fighting zombies hand to hand is pretty fun. The overall premise doesn't make a lick of sense though. Why are the people trying to get out and why are the zombies trying to get in? An almost completely abandoned tower block seems the perfect place to hole up in a zombie apocalypse.

Enco

I enjoyed the horde, sort of in the same vein as the raid, and people fighting zombies hand to hand is pretty fun. The overall premise doesn't make a lick of sense though. Why are the people trying to get out and why are the zombies trying to get in? An almost completely abandoned tower block seems the perfect place to hole up in a zombie apocalypse.
Yea it's completely stupid.

There's really no sense in it at all. How did the apartment tower get so crazy so quickly?

It was fun but not worth thinking about too much.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Burned through louis in like 2 weeks. Man, that show is great. Anything similar to that?

-read back a few pages I guess i'll check out that trailer park boys movie. My kind of title

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Burned through louis in like 2 weeks. Man, that show is great. Anything similar to that?

-read back a few pages I guess i'll check out that trailer park boys movie. My kind of title

Straight up comedies, or the style of the show?

GAF recommend me some dope martial arts related flicks.

IP man 1/2
Shaolin Soccer
Fearless
The Karate Kid 1/2
Game of Death
District B13 (more action than martial, but still has some good hand to hand combat)

jakncoke

Banned
Wow, so it seems a lot the SNL content is cut out of whats on Netflix. Thats rather annoying. Wonder why they did this, legal issues?

Top Bottom