• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

zeemumu

Behold: Action Park Part 1. Part 2 (videos on the linked page). If you grew up in the Tri-State (NY/NJ/CT) area in the 80s, you knew about Action Park. I still carry scars from that place. Like actual scars on my body.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Floop-slide.jpg

Didn't people get stuck in there and jam it? Being stuck in a dark tube with water and other people is a nightmare for me

Jag

Didn't people get stuck in there and jam it? Being stuck in a dark tube with water and other people is a nightmare for me

Yeah, it was called Traction Park for a reason. See the video in Part 1 at the 5minute mark.

I think I remember seeing another video on the park, but this all i found in a quick search.

aparisi2274

Behold: Action Park Part 1. Part 2 (videos on the linked page). If you grew up in the Tri-State (NY/NJ/CT) area in the 80s, you knew about Action Park. I still carry scars from that place. Like actual scars on my body.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Floop-slide.jpg

Yeah, it was called Traction Park for a reason. See the video in Part 1 at the 5minute mark.

I think I remember seeing another video on the park, but this all i found in a quick search.

I used to go to that park all the time back in the 80's. Unfortunately I was still a kid, so I couldn't go on a lot of rides for adults, but man, I remember seeing a lot of bruised and banged up people

Also, that water slide with the loop was only there for like one summer, maybe not even the entire summer because as you have all said, people got stuck, some people broke limbs. It was insane.

The Alpine coaster was also a major factor in some gnarly road rash.

zeemumu

So Pirates of the Caribbean's 50th anniversary is coming up and the ride's been down for refurb for a while now. Any guesses on what they're doing? Adding ghosts for the new movie, maybe? The downside is that it hasn't been around to help manage traffic so the surrounding rides have had longer lines than usual.

gsrjedi

I doubt if they're doing anything. They made a big deal out of adding the hatbox ghost during (I think) HM's 45th. Pirates is set to reopen on the 16th and the only thing they've mentioned about the 50th is some limited edition pins.

zeemumu

I doubt if they're doing anything. They made a big deal out of adding the hatbox ghost during (I think) HM's 45th. Pirates is set to reopen on the 16th and the only thing they've mentioned about the 50th is some limited edition pins.

Seems weird for a staple of Disney to get nothing for its 50th anniversary, especially since it's the ride most prone to changes with the movie tie-ins

gsrjedi

Looks like they're doing a little something after all.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...he-caribbean-this-weekend-at-disneyland-park/

Beginning Thursday, March 16, guests can feast upon special pirate-themed grub at French Market Restaurant, Mint Julep Bar, Harbour Galley, Royal Street Verandah, Cafe Orleans and the one-of-a-kind Blue Bayou Restaurant.
Then the party really sets sail Friday, March 17, and on the attraction’s official anniversary, March 18. Guests will find pirate-themed entertainment throughout New Orleans Square by the likes of Bootstrappers and Lucky the Pirate. They can also plunder limited-edition anniversary merchandise, available in New Orleans Square while supplies last. And ye landlubbers who wish ter talk like a pirate – aye, ye’ll getcher chance … with pirate speak collectible cards. And stay sharp, because there will be even more to discover!

here's the food offerings
Blue Bayou (Beginning March 17th unless otherwise noted)
50th anniversary button
March 16th-26th Only – Fruits De Mer – Pan seared snapper, sautéed shrimp, scallops, and a hush puppy served on a bed of spinach, with spicy shrimp sauce and remoulade – $44.00
Gold doubloons presented with the check

Cafe Orleans (Beginning March 16th)
Steak Sandwich – served open face with white cheddar cheese sauce, bacon jam, arugula, and cherry tomatoes, and sweet potato waffle cut fries – $21.00
Lost Treasure Beignets – Shimmering lemon flavored beignets with vanilla anglaise and fruit couli – $9.00

French Market (Beginning March 16th)
March 16th-July 16th Only – Buccaneer Pulled Pork Sandwich – Jerk-spiced pork, sweet and tangy barbecue sauce, pineapple Caribbean-style slaw and fried yucca – TBA
Jolly Roger Punch – Spiced tropical juices with hints of pineapple, orange, and mango – $3.59
Pirate Stein collectible mug – $12.99

Mint Julep Bar (Beginning March 16th)
March 16th-19th Until 11am – Caribbean Breakfast Burrito (Also available in vegetarian form) – scrambled eggs, andouille sausage, rice, sweet potatoes, and black beans with sour cream – $8.49
Lost Treasure Beignets – shimmering lemon beignets – 3 for $4.49, 6 for $7.49
Jolly Roger Punch – Spiced tropical juices with hints of pineapple, orange, and mango – $3.59

Royal Street Veranda (Beginning March 16th)
March 16th-19th Until 11am – Caribbean Breakfast Burrito (Also available in vegetarian form) – scrambled eggs, andouille sausage, rice, sweet potatoes, and black beans with sour cream – $8.49
Calypso Caribbean Chicken Stew – Caribbean spiced chicken stewed with onions carrots, celery, potatoes, and yucca – $10.99

Harbour Galley (Beginning March 16th)
Calypso Caribbean Chicken Stew – Caribbean spiced chicken stewed with onions carrots, celery, potatoes, and yucca – $10.99

New Orleans Churro Cart (Beginning March 17th)
Golden churro – Gold-dusted churro – $4.25

So my family and I are going to Orlando in a few weeks for Universal and Disney World. We're looking at going to both of the Universal parks and Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and maybe Magic Kingdom.

We live in southern California so we've gone to the Disneyland Resort plenty of times and Universal Studios once or twice. What are some of the must-rides in Orlando that you won't find in California?

Also, my dad has back issues, so he won't be able to go on roller coasters. With that in mind, how intense are Escape from Gringotts and The Forbidden Journey?

So my family and I are going to Orlando in a few weeks for Universal and Disney World. We're looking at going to both of the Universal parks and Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and maybe Magic Kingdom.

We live in southern California so we've gone to the Disneyland Resort plenty of times and Universal Studios once or twice. What are some of the must-rides in Orlando that you won't find in California?

Also, my dad has back issues, so he won't be able to go on roller coasters. With that in mind, how intense are Escape from Gringotts and The Forbidden Journey?

Gringotts is billed as a coaster, but it only coasts for a few seconds (and fairly gently); it's much closer to a dark ride for most of its duration. Forbidden Journey is a dark ride with a surprising range of motion that easily aggravates motion sickness, but it's pretty smooth overall.

Must rides:

Islands of Adventure - Spider-Man (my personal fav), Dragon Challenge's red track and Hulk (if you're interested in riding coasters yourself), Ripsaw Falls, Forbidden Journey, Skull Island. Popeye is a fantastic rapids ride that's prolly the wettest water ride ever built - definitely ride it if you don't mind getting soaked.

Universal Studios - Gringotts, Mummy (vastly different from the Hollywood version; most consider it to be far superior), Men in Black, Horror Make Up Show (even if you dislike shows, trust me on this one), Hogwarts Express (queue is stronger when boarding at Universal Studios).

Disney - Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Haunted Mansion (an extended take on DL's version), Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Splash Mountain (features a different scene order and logs that seat two per row compared to DL's vehicles). Tower of Terror is a stunning attraction if you decide to hit Hollywood Studios.

Gartooth

Anyone have experience or survival tips on going to theme parks when new attractions open? I found out some family will be in Florida on Memorial Day weekend which would be the perfect time to check out Pandora.

I expect it to be insanely crowded in Animal Kingdom. Not sure if the excitement would be worth it since crowds and technical problems could ruin the experience.

zeemumu

Anyone have experience or survival tips on going to theme parks when new attractions open? I found out some family will be in Florida on Memorial Day weekend which would be the perfect time to check out Pandora.

I expect it to be insanely crowded in Animal Kingdom. Not sure if the excitement would be worth it since crowds and technical problems could ruin the experience.

The best solution is usually not to go when there's a new attraction because everyone will flood it and you'll be waiting for hours in a packed crowd, but if you don't have a choice, look for single-rider options, even if you're there with someone, show up early for fastpasses, and visit that area first. That's really all you can do.

Oh and bring something to entertain yourself in line. Most people download Heads Up on their phone and play it with their group. You can do that, or bring your 3DS or earbuds and queue up a podcast or something.

Like zeemumu said, arriving early is the key. Rope drop the shit out of Animal Kingdom and beeline for Pandora. Book whatever fastpasses you can in advance. Hit the rides as early as possible so you can spend time enjoying the land while everyone else is scrambling to do them.

aparisi2274

The best solution is usually not to go when there's a new attraction because everyone will flood it and you'll be waiting for hours in a packed crowd, but if you don't have a choice, look for single-rider options, even if you're there with someone, show up early for fastpasses, and visit that area first. That's really all you can do.

Oh and bring something to entertain yourself in line. Most people download Heads Up on their phone and play it with their group. You can do that, or bring your 3DS or earbuds and queue up a podcast or something.

Like zeemumu said, arriving early is the key. Rope drop the shit out of Animal Kingdom and beeline for Pandora. Book whatever fastpasses you can in advance. Hit the rides as early as possible so you can spend time enjoying the land while everyone else is scrambling to do them.

I agree... I would try to get there super early and as soon as rope drop happens, you bolt right over to Pandora to check out the two rides they have, because before you know it, that section is going to be PACKED!

zeemumu

I agree... I would try to get there super early and as soon as rope drop happens, you bolt right over to Pandora to check out the two rides they have, because before you know it, that section is going to be PACKED!

If current Tomorrowland is any indication. That place has been a pain in the ass to navigate these past few months, and Star Tours' line has been just as bad as Space Mountain's. I find myself spending a majority of my time in Frontierland just because it's spaced out and easier to move around. I imagine that the park will be hitting capacity daily once actual Star Wars Land opens.

Gartooth

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I would be prepared to put up with crowds, but I will have to see if anyone in my family feels the same way. If I do see it I will post impressions here.

aparisi2274

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I would be prepared to put up with crowds, but I will have to see if anyone in my family feels the same way. If I do see it I will post impressions here.

Just remember, when the Frozen ride opened in Epcot, the wait was close to 5.5hrs, and it climbed to like 2.5hrs 15min after rope drop, so god knows how bad Avatar will be on Memorial Day weekend

Gartooth

Just remember, when the Frozen ride opened in Epcot, the wait was close to 5.5hrs, and it climbed to like 2.5hrs 15min after rope drop, so god knows how bad Avatar will be on Memorial Day weekend

I brought up the idea to them today and got shut down as soon as I told them what to expect on an opening weekend. I'm hoping to go later this year when the crowds die down. I think it will be a better experience anyway if I don't feel like I am rushing through the park.

Anyways it sounds like Disney is going to be talking about the Star Wars lands today. I wonder if we will get more details on the rides. I want to hear what they are planning for First Order ride.

zeemumu

I brought up the idea to them today and got shut down as soon as I told them what to expect on an opening weekend. I'm hoping to go later this year when the crowds die down. I think it will be a better experience anyway if I don't feel like I am rushing through the park.

Anyways it sounds like Disney is going to be talking about the Star Wars lands today. I wonder if we will get more details on the rides. I want to hear what they are planning for First Order ride.

I think I'd be more interested in what they have for merch. Maybe a limited edition pin.

dmann

Took my sons to D.C. for spring break and we made a stop in Williamsburg to go to Busch Gardens. It was our first time there. We had an awesome time; barely any lines. I think the longest we waited for a ride had to been between 5 - 10 minutes. We pretty much rode all the roller coasters and thrill rides multiple times. My boys are 9 and 7 and my 7 year old was able to get on all the rides with us.

They had a new wooden rollercoaster opening up called InvadR (with a Vikings theme) which unfortunately we missed since we went two days before the new ride was set to open.

Our favorite coaster there was Apollo's Chariots.

So cedar point has been adding RMC track to the recently closed Mean Streak coaster and has even posted a teaser video that ends with "Theyre Coming"

Exceited to see what they do with it and how it turns out

C7rbFuxXgAAP6cK.jpg:large

C7nhzEiVMAAfsIl.jpg:large

zeemumu

ultron87

Made it to King's Island yesterday for opening weekend. Got on their new coaster, Mystic Timbers, with just a half hour wait which was pretty great. I really enjoyed the ride. It is pretty low to the ground for most of the track, with most of the excitement coming from quick banks and turns. It does feel a little short, but as long as I'm not waiting hours for it that isn't that big a deal.

The shed thing at the end that they've been keeping a secret is entertaining enough as a means to wait for the next car to unload.
All that happens is you pull into a creepy looking room with sawblades and whatnot all over, then a radio starts playing for a bit. When the station around the corner is finally empty, screens all around and behind the walls light up showing bats attacking the shed, then a big man-bat things shows up on a big screen in the front and screams as you go by.

I wonder if you will see those huge star wars land mountains towering from toontown that is also outside the bern.

Will they try to make everything feel right from other lands, like the old imagineers (for example, toontown being outside the disneyland bern took a bunch of thinking process and created a story around it), or after the horrible shitstain that is the GotG tower they dont give a fuck anymore?

zeemumu

I wonder if you will see those huge star wars land mountains towering from toontown that is also outside the bern.

Will they try to make everything feel right from other lands, like the old imagineers (for example, toontown being outside the disneyland bern took a bunch of thinking process and created a story around it), or after the horrible shitstain that is the GotG tower they dont give a fuck anymore?

Trees

Gartooth

I watched the on-ride POV of Navi River Journey and it looks pretty underwhelming aside from the AA. Strange enough, I'm more excited in seeing the land itself for Pandora than either of the rides.

Man I normally don't care for firework shows these days but I absolutely need to see "Happily Ever After" next time im there. Looked incredible.

The projections onto the castle were really impressive. I hope to catch it next time I am at WDW.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I got to visit Pandora at Animal Kingdom before it officially opens. The whole land is incredible. Just jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I think on a technical level, it's more impressive than Universal's Harry Potter lands, and it'll definitely be a big hit for Disney whether people are fans of the Avatar movies or not.

Flight of Passage is a 10/10 ride and probably the best screen-based dark ride I've ever experienced. They really nailed the feeling of flying on the back of a wile banshee. I got off of that ride and had to pick my jaw up off the floor. It's a really unique experience. While it does share some similarities to Soarin', it's way more immersive and intense. This ride is easily the best part of Pandora.

Na'vi River Journey is a beautiful, tranquil ride with an impressive audio animatronic. It's not really breaking new ground and it certainly isn't anything close to the Pirates boat ride in Shanghai. Still, it's nice to see the bio-luminescent forest during the day and it's a pretty solid family ride.

Overall I was really impressed by the land and can't wait to return to see it all lit up at night. But mostly I want to re-ride Flight of Passage some more.

So cedar point has been adding RMC track to the recently closed Mean Streak coaster and has even posted a teaser video that ends with "They're Coming"

Excited to see what they do with it and how it turns out

Thank the good Christ. I went to Cedar Point for the first time 3 weeks before Mean Streak closed and that ride was a soul crushing experience.

I don't like this recent trend of wood coasters becoming RMCs just for the sake of being RMCs, but this medieval torture device needed it.

Zackat

I got to visit Pandora at Animal Kingdom before it officially opens. The whole land is incredible. Just jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I think on a technical level, it's more impressive than Universal's Harry Potter lands, and it'll definitely be a big hit for Disney whether people are fans of the Avatar movies or not.

Flight of Passage is a 10/10 ride and probably the best screen-based dark ride I've ever experienced. They really nailed the feeling of flying on the back of a wile banshee. I got off of that ride and had to pick my jaw up off the floor. It's a really unique experience. While it does share some similarities to Soarin', it's way more immersive and intense. This ride is easily the best part of Pandora.

Na'vi River Journey is a beautiful, tranquil ride with an impressive audio animatronic. It's not really breaking new ground and it certainly isn't anything close to the Pirates boat ride in Shanghai. Still, it's nice to see the bio-luminescent forest during the day and it's a pretty solid family ride.

Overall I was really impressed by the land and can't wait to return to see it all lit up at night. But mostly I want to re-ride Flight of Passage some more.
I watched a video of the land, it looked amazing. I am gonna go later this summer I think.
You guys hear the Haunted Mansion restaurant rumours?
Man if the theme is close to Be Our Guest it could be amazing.
whaaat

I am down

Gartooth

Thanks for sharing your impressions! The land looks completely groundbreaking from all I have seen of it. This easily surpasses the theming of anything Disney has done until now.

I couldn't help but spoil myself on ride POVs for the Flight of Passage ride! I think you are right that this could become the biggest theme park ride in Orlando.

I wish DL got the Haunted Mansion restaurant instead since WDW already has Be Our Guest and the Haunted Mansion store.

True, though Haunted Mansion being one of the favorites of all the parks I can see Disney World wanting something new and somewhat like the Blue Bayou restaurant interconnected with a key attraction.

Just based on the IP i'd actually prefer the Blue Bayou for Disney World somehow, however thinking what they could do with that Haunted Mansion theme and a restaurant(especially after Be Our Guest)...

Gartooth

I'm going to eat crow on Guardians Tower. I still think it looks awful from the facade outside, but the queue and ride both look as good as we could have hoped for with a reskin. I especially love all the easter eggs in the queue.

Seeing all the videos I take back what I said initially...
Volcano Bay's theme is actually pretty darn cool.

Yeah I was completely disinterested in it from the aerials but it looks great from the ground level. The water coaster in particular looks really good although I wish it had some special effects. Once that park is fully operational I look forward to trying it!

Ettie

Anybody watch a lot of ride videos for coasters and water slides? I tend to check out places that I know I'm never going, rides I'm not bold enough to ride, stuff like that. I'm on the hunt for a new water slide sub on youtube, my go-to seems to have become overly focused on underage footage and I don't want anything to do with that.

zeemumu

California Adventure's Hollywood section seems to be busy as hell with the Summer of Heroes and Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout stuff going on. When I went they were setting up food and stuff, and there were cameras and stages and whatnot. They even closed that area at 3pm.

daffy

Banned
Just watched the POV for Mission Breakout. Looks to be the exact same experience just rethemed with more GotG video and music. Definitely not braving the lines this weekend for that

pov for guardians looked really lame tbh, even though the queue looks really cool.

avatar land looks fucking incredible though, so disney's still got it where it counts.

props on them for seeing the potiential for avatar, it works incredibly well with the theme of animal kingdom in a way i (and judging by intitial reactions a lot of people) didn't expect. there's a boldness to their commitment to making the land itself as much of a draw as the rides themselves. even in the rides, the main star seems to be pandora. the river ride wouldn't have been built at any other theme park.

Having watched it, and having ridden the Disneyland version of ToT, it looks totally fine. I actually thought it looked fun. Just, don't touch WDW's Tower.

Top Bottom