• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

GJS

Does anyone know of any city/village management games for the iPad which don't look like arse and aren't overly cartoony? I've tried Camelot, city of wonder, trade nations, and city of warfare, but they aren't great.

Enco

One of the worst covers I've ever seen. Looks like something out of an S&M session.
Haha exactly what I thought.

Dat gimp case.

I was wondering why this thread hadn't been bumped in a week, then I remembered it's not in OT anymore. /sigh
Yikes. Didn't realise.

Sent to it's death.

Have companies started making back cases for the new iPad that work with the Apple Smart Cover?
Yup.

I use the Incipio Smartfeather. It's nice but it clips over the smart cover so you can't detach it. If you value that feature I would look elsewhere. Otherwise it's a solid case!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got my Timbuk2 sleeve for my iPad. Very nice.

Colors match my bag exactly, panel for panel. :)

IMG_20120417_191129.jpg

Vyer

Remember the time gigs promised us a comparison of iPad and the Kindle Fire?

I can do it for you. I'll put it in terms you can relate to.

Quality: If a WebOS touchpad is worth $99, and if the iPad 2 is now worth $400, and a 10" retina glory iPad is $500, then the Fire at $200 is about right.

Also, whoever thought that the carousel and no physical volume buttons was a good idea should be shot.

Any questions?

coldfoot

Banned
I can do it for you. I'll put it in terms you can relate to.

Quality: If a WebOS touchpad is worth $99, and if the iPad 2 is now worth $400, and a 10" retina glory iPad is $500, then the Fire at $200 is about right.

And when the 7.85" ipad mini is released for $299, the Fire is dead.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The iPad is not a good music discovery device, it saddens me to say. When I get into new music mode which typically involves ~12 tabs all pinging streaming services and LOTS of copy/pasting it becomes very very cumbersome and frustrating to use the iPad.

kagete

I think the smartfeather offers enough protection for light day to day use. It has somewhat sharp edges that I don't like though so I can't stand using it for long. Now I just never use a cover and have a cheap plastic stand for when I need the device upright. I've seen my friend's toddler manhandle an ipad2 with no case and it hasn't been wrecked in almost a year of heavy use. My sticker-bombed ipad's rear and screen protector is all the protection this thing needs.

Neo Child

Banned
quick question. when i plug my ipad into the wall to charge it while using it, the battery still drains... is this normal? like when its plugged into the wall it will still power out.

if i set the battery to about 30% it will charge and i can use it at the same time.

is this normal or is my ipad funked? if its normal, whats the highest i can stick the brightness at so it will still charge & i can use it...? thanks guys :)

You should try to power offthescren or lower the brightness when you have it plugged it. See if that helps. I don't have th screen on when charging

My wife just got the new iPad for her bday and it's our first iOS device. What are some good sites dedicated to jailbreaking/hacking it? I'd like to get her some weather and toggle widgets if they're available.

quick question. when i plug my ipad into the wall to charge it while using it, the battery still drains... is this normal? like when its plugged into the wall it will still power out.

if i set the battery to about 30% it will charge and i can use it at the same time.

is this normal or is my ipad funked? if its normal, whats the highest i can stick the brightness at so it will still charge & i can use it...? thanks guys :)

Is it the 10W adapter, or an iPhone one?

giga

TV Forecast updated for retina: http://i.minus.com/ib030e0G30JGEP.PNG

Speaking of retina updates, I only have a few left. One month after release, the only ones I'm still waiting for are:

Verbs, Google Translate, Dropbox, Deep Green, 500px, and ESPN ScoreCenter XL. That's 6 out of the 40 total apps I have. Verbs, 500px, and Deep Green devs have said they'll be updating soon though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's up with all these hideous cases being posted? You people have awful, awful taste.

I only have a smart cover and a pouch that the ipad goes in. And a bean (?) filled sack til that I carry with me to prop up the ipad. (I don't really want any case for the ipad. I'll take pics when I have time.

Vyer

This is me!

I walked out of Best Buy with my new iPad fully expecting I would regret the purchase within a couple of weeks.

I was so very very wrong! If anything I am under-utilizing the device so that my wife doesn't get interested in it and take it over.

No, I wasn't expecting it. When the first iPad came out, I thought it was stupid and just a gigantic iPod touch. Might also be the combination of the retina screen, but I love browsing on this thing and the quality/color of the screen is definitely MUCH better than my laptop. The iOS experience is also pretty well thought out and actually feels tailored for a tablet.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to use my laptop for anymore, haha.

Yeah, I suspect this happens a lot. It seemed like I heard it a lot after the Touchpad firesale too, as people actually had experience with tablets rather than assuming they wouldn't use one.

It frustrates me when people don't have foresight/vision/open-minded ness enough to even admit that something could be useful, even in light of millions of people doing so. I,m not saying everyone HAS to find a use, but just entertaining the possibility and curiosity.

So many people dismissed the iPad upon announcement... I did a little, knowing that it was just a large iPod touch, but upon serious though, i decided a larger more powerful device was capable of much more so I bought one at launch.

Now obviously, I'm guilty myself, but it's funny how people always convince themselves they don't need certain features in products they don't have, but half the time, it's just justifying they don't need it. That's fine - we all rationalise our spending as we feel necessary. But so many times, particulalry with Apple products, the devices go from 'neat' to indispensable. I think they have a sneaky way of making us emotionally attached to the experience. I just give them the benefit of the doubt most times now. Some would say it's just getting stuff for the logo, but to me, it,s a faith I find they deserve. I've rarely been disappointed.

Eh, some of it is the usual anti apple shenanigans that occurs, but yeah I agree with a lot of that. Some people just don't like to consider things outside of their norm, I suppose. It always seemed to be somewhat logical, in terms of general everyday Internet, email, media consumption, etc. better form factor and bettery life - for example - seemed pretty useful.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
can you use your idevice in wifi discovery mode for stuff? kinda like how you can play with DSes even if they're not connected to the internet. thinking about games and messaging here

Top Bottom