• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation based on trademark minutia: Nintendo NX to use cartridges

Neoxon

How would carts work with day 1 patches and such?
If the cartridge is read/write, then put it on the cartridge itself. If not, then there's a ton of space on the NX Console's hard drive that won't be used by game installs.

Basically, think of it like how the 3DS handles Day 1 patches.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
You'd all be surprised how persistent this rumor is among the laymen and casual audience outside of NeoGAF, and outside the internet in general. I usually buzz local GameStops, privately owned gaming stores, and general retail stores to get some impressions from both customers and employees. By far the most persistent (often times only) rumor about the NX is the fact that it will be cart/card based, for both the handheld and console, assuming they know that it will also be a handheld, or assume it will be. I have a good feeling about this one, and this recent evidence only solidifies that case, with bucket fulls of potential positives of bringing back the carts.

Edit: I don't do this very often, now. Just when it's convenient. Either people mention the cart/card rumor or they don't know what NX is. It's that brought up.

That would be so ironic considering FF VII couldn't fit on a cartridge and was one of the major reasons PlayStation beat N64.

20 years of Moore's law later and cartridges finally beat optical discs.
I know right? The irony of why FFVII went to PS just to see it come back for the reason it left is like a full circle 20 years later.

This. I've lost a lot of good soldiers to the horrors of discs getting scratched.

*sheds tear for Melee*

394Qm3p.gif

Man I remember one of my PS1 discs falling out of my hand and all of a sudden there is a huge scratch over it, ruling it unplayable...yet my NES is still good to go without problems...

Calm Mind

Upon reading the OP more closely, this is certainly a stretch even by NeoGAF standards. I'm not exactly down on the idea or am I convinced that this is evidence that the NX will use cards. I'm cautiously optimistic for now.

Nightfall

Avatar quote aside, if they go as big as you're suggesting, then they can't fit the cartridge into a handheld. If what we're speculating comes true, then Nintendo would likely want the same physical copy of a game to fit both in the console & the handheld.

I didn't really think about a specific size, but maybe like Gameboy or GBA games? They wouldn't be so tiny that you're scared of losing them, but still small enough for a handheld.

Atomski

It makes sense if they are Gona do a handheld with it. I think it's fine we have high capacity flash drives now. Only bummer is they will probably be expensive. I hate paying 45 for damn 3ds carts.

Neoxon

Man I remember one of my PS1 discs falling out of my hand and all of a sudden there is a huge scratch over it, ruling it unplayable...yet my NES is still good to go without problems...
I mean, Blu-Ray discs have gotten better about tanking scratches (& making the discs themselves more resistant to scratches), but the risk is still there. And as you said, cartridges last longer. My N64 games are still alive & well to this day, or at least the ones my mom didn't donate. Even the copies of said donated games that I was able to track down have been around for decades & still work like a dream.

Alienous

It makes sense if they are Gona do a handheld with it. I think it's fine we have high capacity flash drives now. Only bummer is they will probably be expensive. I hate paying 45 for damn 3ds carts.

If it's shared console-handheld software you can expect to pay $60 for a standard release regardless.

The reason I want this to be true so badly (apart from my love of cartridges) is that if the NX isn't a fully cross-compatible ecosystem with multiple form factors, I don't believe it will be a success.

lherre

Accurate
Nope.

a) because its a dumb thing to do. You get a shitty handheld and a shitty console.
b) Nintendo told us: "It´s not a hybrid", "Its multiple devices, maybe even more than 2, sharing software like iOS and android."

So no, it wont be a hybrid.

And you believe all the Nintendo statements? :p

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Blu-Ray discs have gotten better about tanking scratches (& making the discs themselves more resistant to scratches), but the risk is still there. And as you said, cartridges last longer. My N64 games are still alive & well to this day, or at least the ones my mom didn't donate. Even the copies of said donated games that I was able to track down have been around for decades & still work like a dream.

Can confirm. Can play my entire N64 library as of now. I even have some unplayable PS2 games.

If the cartridge is read/write, then put it on the cartridge itself. If not, then there's a ton of space on the NX Console's hard drive that won't be used by game installs.

Basically, think of it like how the 3DS handles Day 1 patches.

Ah ok sure. Just had a bit of a brain fart moment there. Would be super interesting if they go back to carts. In fact, I kind of want them to now thinking about it more.

Neoxon

Can confirm. Can play my entire N64 library as of now. I even have some unplayable PS2 games.
Same case for the SNES. For example, there's physical copy of Earthbound on the SNES that my aunt keeps locked in her safe. I'm pretty sure that works like new since she barely lets anyone touch it (I'm the only one with the key since she's studying abroad, right now). But yeah, cartridges can last for a long-ass time, & they're easier to maintain.

lherre

Accurate
Coupled with basic logic and rudimentary physics, there's no reason to think it will be a single hybrid home console/handheld device.

Depends on the power you need for your games and Nintendo don't need too much flops to show amazing games.

Glass Rebel

When first real news about the NX came out and Iwata described it as a unified platform rather than a single device, this was one of my first thoughts: How are you going to share the retail games across platforms? This is probably the simplest option but I don't know how high manufacturing costs for cartridges are, especially since we're talking BD size capacity here.

Neoxon

What's the advantages of using cartridges over disks?
Allow me to shed some light on that.
It wouldn't be cartridges like the NES, SNES, & N64, but rather game cards like the DS & 3DS (since Macronix is supposedly the manufacturer for the NX cartridges, the same guys who did the DS & 3DS cartridges).
  • Having a cartridge-based platform allows for the same physical copy to be used across the NX Console & NX Handheld, thus not forcing the platform as a whole to be digital-only to get the point of a shared library across (if that's the route Nintendo's going, which may end up being the case). This would also benefit Nintendo in the long-run because they only have to print one copy of a game rather than two, thus saving money overall.
  • Using cartridges instead of discs also allows for Nintendo to avoid having to install game assets to the device's hard drive, which can help in saving space for the user. Nintendo has bypassed the need for installations for the most part with the Wii U (Xenoblade X aside), so Nintendo may want to continue this trend. Also by virtue of the faster transfer speeds, load times would be cut down by a considerable degree. Not to mention that you can put your save data on the cartridge itself.
  • The use of cartridges for the NX Platform also cuts down on the number of moving parts, which would be a bigger benefit for the NX Console. Not only would said NX Console be able to last longer without breaking down, but Nintendo can cut costs down by not needing a disc drive. Said saved costs can be either diverted towards improving the NX Console (Ex: adding a better CPU, GPU, more RAM, etc.) or just lowering the price tag of the NX Console.

I love the idea but the one thing I'm afraid of is Nintendo having a max cart size of 16 GB instead of 32 GB.

3DS and Vita both use max 4 GB so 16 GB is a good step up but allowing 32 GB allows for larger assets to be used. It would also be helpful for 3rd party games.

The only two Nintendo published titles that I remember crossing 20 GB are Lego City Undercover and Xenoblade Chronicles X. I could definitely see the new Zelda being under 16 GB with the limited voice work and not have the large number on NPC's and different monsters a game like Xenoblade X would have.

....but wouldn't cartridges probably end up costing more? I think they should stick to discs or whatever. Not sure going back to cartridges is a good idea in this day and age unless they found a way to rectify the limitations normally associated with cartridges. I know Nintendo likes to be in control and have their philosophy, but they HAVE to think of developers over themselves if they want to stand a chance.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
What's the advantages of using cartridges over disks?

Stated quite a few times in the thread already.

-Durable, less prone to damage and can last a long time
-No need for a bulky, expensive, and prone to malfunction disc drive, prolonging console life and driving down manufacturing cost
-Nigh required for handheld devices, look at the PSP as to why discs on handhelds is a bad idea. Shared Library between Handheld and Console basically requires carts
-Shorter/No Load times
-Less/No need to install data on a harddrive
-Previous failures of cards have since been rectified as the technology has caught up to optical discs in terms of storage space
-Cheaper to make than previous

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

....but wouldn't cartridges probably end up costing more? I think they should stick to discs or whatever. Not sure going back to cartridges is a good idea in this day and age unless they found a way to rectify the limitations normally associated with cartridges. I know Nintendo likes to be in control and have their philosophy, but they HAVE to think of developers over themselves if they want to stand a chance.

To be fair, most 3rd party devs already treat Nintendo like a joke. This move is only positive for Nintendo. Also, cards are beginning to/already surpassed optical discs.

Thing is, the biggest reason why carts make sense to be used on both a hypothetical handheld and console, is that Nintendo actually has AMAZING first party output, but fractured between systems. Having the "Shared Library" where the same cart works on both systems with scaling fidelity doubles the size of Nintendo's first party line up, diminishing the need for third parties to pick up the slack. The actual target audience for most 3rd parties are already entrenched on other systems and likely aren't going to budge anytime soon.

Alienous

....but wouldn't cartridges probably end up costing more? I think they should stick to discs or whatever. Not sure going back to cartridges is a good idea in this day and age unless they found a way to rectify the limitations normally associated with cartridges. I know Intend likes to be in control, but they HAVE to think of developers over themselves if they want to stand a chance.

If they're going with cartridges it's probably because of a handheld. You only have to put a standard DVD next to any handhelds you own to see why. And I doubt they'll do a proprietary disc format after the Gamecube.

And you believe all the Nintendo statements? :p

Thats such a non question. :p
Of course i dont believe in every empty PR phrase out there.
But there is no reason not to believe the CEO when he said: "Its not a hybrid and here´s why" followed by statements he explained in depth at shareholder meetings and which are ein line with everything he said basically during the last 15 years.
He actually laid out the Wii as well during the Gamecube reveal back in 2001. It was all there if you listen to him.

So if Nintendo told us "Its not a hybrid" and even explained to us why it is not a hybrid there´s no reason not to believe them other than "but Reggie made a vague statement about xyz in 1994 so its a hybrid".

Neoxon

• If Nintendo wants a shared library with the handheld, then they kinda have to go with cartridges.
  • Cartridges have caught up to discs in terms of how much data they can store within a reasonable price range.
  • Tying back into the first bullet point, Nintendo saves money by only having to print one SKU for a game rather than two.
  • While on the subject of saving money, Nintendo can cut down on costs for both manufacturing & potential repair costs by doing away with an optical disc drive. Said saved costs can instead be diverted to upgrading the specs of the NX Console or just lowering the NX Console's price tag.

Hermii

....but wouldn't cartridges probably end up costing more? I think they should stick to discs or whatever. Not sure going back to cartridges is a good idea in this day and age unless they found a way to rectify the limitations normally associated with cartridges. I know Intend likes to be in control, but they HAVE to think of developers over themselves if they want to stand a chance.
One of the traditional limitations is storage space and that's rectified by technology. They would end up costing more to make but at least some of that would be offset by reduced storage and logistics costs.

How much does decently fast (say ~90MB/s) flash memory cost per GB these days to manufacture? Unless Nintendo is going to eat the cost or they've fallen below a Blu-Ray I doubt publishers would go for it. Though if the rumor of this being a console/handheld hybrid it would make sense.

Personally I'd love to be able to go back to a card/cart format as long as much faster than standard HDD read speeds come along with it and without a price increase.

lherre

Accurate
Thats such a non question. :p
Of course i dont believe in every empty PR phrase out there.
But there is no reason not to believe the CEO when he said: "Its not a hybrid and here´s why" followed by statements he explained in depth at shareholder meetings and which are ein line with everything he said basically during the last 15 years.
He actually laid out the Wii as well during the Gamecube reveal back in 2001. It was all there if you listen to him.

So if Nintendo told us "Its not a hybrid" and even explained to us why it is not a hybrid there´s no reason not to believe them other than "but Reggie made a vague statement about xyz in 1994 so its a hybrid".

Depends on the definition of hybrid.

It's psvita tv a vita hybrid?

Most rumors are obvious and trollish in that they feel like the deranged prediction of haters and/or fanboys. But this. Now this is such a crazy rumor, you almost hope it'd to be true.

bman94

I can see the news articles now: "*3rd party Dev* explains Nintendo's return to cartridges is the reason why they won't develop for the console", "Why 3rd parties don't like the NX", "Production prices for NX's cartridges scare off 3rd party publishers".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The same cartridge format could work nicely with both a next-gen console and next-gen handheld. No need for an optical disk drive when you've got cartridges!

I look forward to hearing the satisfying clunk of snapping in a cartridge!

Yup. Well - that's if they're cross buy etc. Practically it could work.

Keep the size manageable for the handheld and it'd run as-is on the home console if offline, but it would also download higher res assets for the home version if you're connected to the Internet. A bit like some PS4/XB1 games still have to if they're bigger than a bluray

Neoxon

I wonder if a NX console would have New 3DS style exclusives. I could see that happening to facilitate third-parties.
I'd imagine so, but that option would likely be used by third parties more than Nintendo themselves (with a few exceptions, of course).

I can see the news articles now: "*3rd party Dev* explains Nintendo's return to cartridges is the reason why they won't develop for the console", "Why 3rd parties don't like the NX", "Production prices for NX's cartridges scare off 3rd party publishers".

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Top Bottom