• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

Tailzo

FYI, I might be wrong, but I thought your demo save does not transfer...

it doesnt transfer

Yeah you can't transfer your save in the Switch version unfortunately (NISA has confirmed this on their official Twitter account too)

This wasn't the case with the PS4 version though, so with that said anyone playing the Switch version. It's pointless to grind because you won't be able to do anything with the data from the demo.

Oh! Well I did get a refresher of sorts, now I remember evilities and such better. :)

oSoLucky

New players don't forget to check the old OT(it's linked in this OP) for some useful tips for starting. Over the next couple of days I'm going to make a small writeup on some of the strongest characters and give my opinion on the best units and weapon types. Those are questions that come up time and time again with each release because there's so much to choose from.

I had a random crash earlier today. It happened after I finished a map.

Auto save was on so I kept whatever I gained from that battle.

Not sure what caused it but I would say keep auto save on, just in case. I've played 12 hours so far and that's happened once.

There's another weird glitch where, when I save, it shows the time but it says "level 5". My highest character is 73 atm, and it should say 73 (right?) but no matter when I save, it'll always say "level 5", lol.

This is a meaty game. Disgaea 1 was the last time I really dug deep into the series and I loved every minute. Having this on the go, playing on the train, during lunch break or before bed is a blessing. You guys are in for a treat.

Eusis

Nice OT!

There's zero chance this will come to Vita, right? I like my SRPGs on handheld. Might have to finally figure out remote play.
Correct, I believe the CPU has been cited as a bottleneck.

EDIT: Probably also means D2 will be a "lost one" when it comes to portable releases. Not that that sounds like a big loss, and just maybe they'll take the effort to get the other games on Switch if this is really doing that well for them. Or at least get them all on PC eventually, whichever.

Fireblend

Banned
Is it easy to "respec" characters in this game? Should I care about attribute distribution or anything like that if I'm going to care about beating the super hard post-game bosses?

Eusis

Is it easy to "respec" characters in this game? Should I care about attribute distribution or anything like that if I'm going to care about beating the super hard post-game bosses?
By the time you have to worry about that respeccing will be a non issue. Not unless it's somehow changes from prior Disgaea games, but if it's more accessible for that point then I doubt it, not in any way that'd make it more problematic anyway.

There might be a very useful leveling trick that can be used super early in the game that allows characters to jump dozens possibly hundred plus levels at once.

The theory behind this is simple. This Prinny will be a nuke bomb to soften the HP of a powerful enemy with boosted enemy strength. This trick cannot be done until you unlock the cheat shop at Chapter 3.

Wouldn't this be really expensive to revive him and do it multiple times in the early game? Though I see people talking about getting 1 million HL from the start.

Every single Western localized version of Disgaea from the PS2 release of Disgaea 2 to the most recent installment in 5 had Japanese VA.

The only exception to this was original PS2 pf Disgaea 1 release which was ironically localized and published by Atlus.

However even the re-release of Disgaea 1 on the PSP corrected this including both Japanese and English audio.

I don't think Disgaea DS had Japanese audio, but that's obviously a special case they really had to compress to fit onto the DS. Also didn't have any cutscene dialogue VA except the between chapter episodes. I just mention it because it's on my mind since I've been playing it while waiting for D5 Switch.

oSoLucky

By the time you have to worry about that respeccing will be a non issue. Not unless it's somehow changes from prior Disgaea games, but if it's more accessible for that point then I doubt it, not in any way that'd make it more problematic anyway.

Yes, complete non-issue. If you're talking about taking down super bosses then most things dealing with leveling/adjusting characters are trivial.

OmegaDL50

Wouldn't this be really expensive to revive him and do it multiple times in the early game? Though I see people talking about getting 1 million HL from the start.

All Prinnies have an evility that lets them get revived with 1 HL.

Also at the point you are raising enemy strength to kill enemies with 50,000 HP means the awards for finishing the map scales to the enemy's strength as well, so you'd get a ton of money for completing the battle as well.

My Collectors Edition arrived today. Hopefully will be able to get started on it this evening. Can't wait to get deep into another long single player title on Switch.

Andyliini

My Collector's Edition arrived today, I took some pictures, for those interested:

Box front:

Box back:

Artbook:

Soundtrack:

Pin:

Pin Set:

Posters:

Don't know when I'll have time to play it, but hopefully soon.

oSoLucky

I need that art book.

Disclaimer: This is meant to be an opinion to help with people who are having a "character crisis" that I have gone through many times.

ATK when used here is different from the ATK stat. There are two modifiers that calculate damage after the character's stats and skill damage are accounted for. One of these is "ATK", a modifier that is found on Evilities. Do note that there are a couple Evilities that actually raise the ATK stat(such as Christo's Superlative Ally), but those are the exception and not the rule. The other is "Damage Dealt". The two modifiers are additive with similar modifiers and calculated separately before being multiplied together. Ex: If Killia has 100% ATK and 100% Damage Dealt, his damage output will be based on DMG = (1.0 + 1.0)*(1.0 + 1.0) which will give a 4x increase. Similarly, if he has 150% ATK and 50% Damage Dealt, it will be DMG = (1.0 + 1.5)*(1.0 + 0.5) which will be a 3.75x increase.

On to the main point of this post. These are my subjective picks for best unique characters, and I will follow with my favorite generic units. Note that any character can be effective in any aspect of the game and we're talking maybe the difference between doing 35 billion and 28 billion damage in endgame(It came out to around 20% across a range of damages in my limited testing of 3 units). If you have characters whose animation/sprite/personality really clicks with you, then by all means use them. It will really only matter in 2 or 3 fights at the end of the day(Item Gods which appear every 100th floor in the Item World and the final post-game superbosses). Note that stat boosting Evilities are largely useless post-game so some units that make use of those as their Unique Evilities(UE) would be ranked higher or at all if this was focused purely on story.

Here are my Top 10, ordered by MY personal feelings on their potential:

1. Killia - The main character, and the biggest single target damage potential for just about the whole game. I won't spoil anything but at the end of the story he has different Evilities and Overload. War Demon increases his stats by 2% for each attack, including counters, which makes him really deadly during the story. He becomes REALLY broken if you use a recovery curry(shop opens in Ch. 4 and you need someone in the squad, recovery made by using healing items in the 3 slots) along with the DLC Kunoichi class's Evility "Nirrti" - Common(3). This raises stats by 10% every time an attack is evaded and for some reason the heal from curry - or any sort of regen - counts as an evaded attack. Killia will end up with double stats in no time and be absolutely untouchable. Post-game he gets 100% ATK during Revenge Mode along with the ability to act 3 times in 1 turn on Overload. Oh yeah, he also has 2 of the strongest single target skills in the game(1 of them may be the top dog). What a beast.

2. Adell - His UE makes him attack twice when using a fist or unique skill. That's literally double damage. His Overload increases ATK by 200%! for 1 turn. He has an extremely strong single target unique skill, and all of his unique skills are Fire damage. That won't ever be a negative though, because Fist is always there to back it up! He can make great use of some evilities normally overlooked such as Elemental Force from the Magic Knight. That will only work on enemies not resistant to Fire so it's a niche use case and could end up being a wasted slot(I don't recommend it for post-game). Adell is Killia - The Sequel.

3. Zetta - The Badass Overlord is next. His UE gives 100% ATK at 1 million stored levels, and the investment is absolutely worth it. He has a super strong Star-based unique skill and his Overdrive allows you to dispatch 5 extra characters. He starts with 50 in all resistances. He is essentially Killia - The Third.
Those 3 are super powerful though Killia is truly at his scariest during Revenge Mode.

4. Petta - The Badass Daughter. Casters are extremely strong in this game, and Petta is at the top along with Sage and Metallia. She has an extremely strong single target attack along with a Zetta combo that hits 11 spaces(1-3x3-1) in front. Her UE increases ATK of adjacent Overlords by 30%, which is a huge deal for Killia, Zetta, Priere, etc. She has innate 75%!!! Star resist, though Wind starts at -25%. The REAL insanely OP thing about her is that her Overload allows Every. Single. Other. Ally. on the map to use their Overloads again. She allows Killia to move 6 times in 1 turn or Adell to double up in 1 turn. This can(and will) be abused in very broken ways.

5. Metallia - She is likely to get put in your first string when you get her and never taken out until mid to late post game. She starts losing some effectiveness once you start passing around abilities. First off, she has 75% to all resistances including Star! She is also the only character in the entire game that learns all Tera-spells naturally. A few learn a single element and Sage is the only other to learn Tera star. She will be able to outrange and outdamage your low rank casters and make them instantly obsolete. Her UE is a 2nd life if you get killed which is nothing special. Her Overload though is a godsend early-postgame. It captures every enemy that she is strong enough to kill with it, and it hits map wide. Captured enemies can be made into shards that can be used to increase your team's stats. This would be useful if there were a map with.....I don't know....say 100+ Asagi clones. This method is outclassed once you get a strong enough Sage but Metallia is likely to be in your top 2(with Killia) for the first 50-60 hours of the game. Also, she Magichanges into a Staff, so you can use those beautiful Tera-spells on any other caster prior to learning them. She comes with an innate 3x3 that can power up to SS+.

6. Rozalin - NIS really loves their female gunners. Rozalin is the pick of the litter. Her UE increases the ATK of all male allies on the map by 20%. Her Overload gives her 3 turns of bonus 50% ATK(plus a badass sprite). She comes with an very strong Ice skill that hits in a cross with a range of 4. Also she has a Star skill with a range of 5 that hits 13! It's 3x3 with 1 extra on each side. One of the best ranged units in the game.

7. Overlord Priere - Not to be confused with the nun Priere. Her UE increases damage for every empty space in an attack's area of effect. This is perfect for taking down single targets with her innate 3x3 that ranks up to SS+. All of her skills are AoE except the combo and 1 Magichange, which synergizes well with her UE. Her Magichange is an Axe, which to me is the worst weapon type in the game. Her Overload allows her to use another turn after the first with decreased stats(I don't remember by how much) if you kill an enemy. She's one of the top picks for bombing late game bosses since her UE can give +80% damage. She has resistance to all weapon types(20 in Monster and Staff) and no weaknesses.

8. Usalia - All 4 of her unique skills can be ranked up to SS+, including 2 3x3(1 Star and 1 Non-elem). She Magichanges to Fist (!) and has a 10 space attack. Her UEs allow her up to 80% ATK for herself and 40% damage reduction for herself and adjacent allies if surrounded by allies. Her Overload gives her unlimited Support Attack range for 3 turns, which is great for adding up combos. Also, she can join Flatty Squad instead of Foot Soldier for 25% boost to stats vice 20%(along with Petta, Sicily, Etna, Flonne, Majorita and others).

9. Girl Laharl - The superior Laharl gains 20% damage dealt on all attacks. She has Bodyguards - Common(3) which you will want to pass around for min maxing. The translation is bad, but it can end up giving 50% ATK to all male squad members even if you just leave it on 10 trash characters. Her Overload is nothing to write home about, but she does have a very strong unique skill with a range of 4 that is single target.

10. Zeroken - Zero is good, the problem is just that he's outclassed by the Killia Bros. His Flowing Water UE isn't very good. His 2nd UE(and the reason to use him) increase damage dealt to higher level enemies by 50%. This works if both are 9999. His unique skills are nothing to write home about. His Overload summons 4 controllable copies of himself with reduced stats. They can work as decoys and don't contribute to the deployed limit. He is an Overlord, so he'll get bonus ATK if you decide to use him with Rozalin in your team.

Hon. Mention. Nisa - Her skills are nothing to write home about and doesn't have a unique Overload. She is on the list, because at 1000 hours played, she will have 100% base stats, freeing up a whole lot of Evility slots to pile on damage modifiers. Her unique skills and resistances are meh(besides 1 strong 4 range skill). Most players aren't likely to ever touch her.

I will follow up this post with my thoughts on some unique characters that are situationally great(or great support) and the best generic units soon. Feel free to discuss if you have differeng opinions. This is based on a combination of effectiveness in the story and post-
game.

fernoca

Got my LE. Considering I chose free shipping, way sooner than anticipated. XD

And yep, love it. Those pins!

Now to work! :(

Ziocyte

I was on the fence about this game. It looks incredible! The newbie video in the OT had me intrigued BUT I had a hard time figuring out how I could carve out the time needed to play this right. I was on the fence... until playing through the demo tutorial and hiring my first recruit, a female Heratic Cleric, and her given name was "Grandson". I knew then this game was for me. Pre-ordered.

DagsJT

I was on the fence about this game. It looks incredible! The newbie video in the OT had me intrigued BUT I had a hard time figuring out how I could carve out the time needed to play this right. I was on the fence... until playing through the demo tutorial and hiring my first recruit, a female Heratic Cleric, and her given name was "Grandson". I knew then this game was for me. Pre-ordered.

Newbie video?

oSoLucky

Gonna check around to see if any gaming stores have a LE for sale. Maybe I can find somewhere that'll dump it early for me.

Note that stat boosting Evilities are largely useless post-game so some units that make use of those as their Unique Evilities(UE) would be ranked higher or at all if this was focused purely on story.

I looked through the various class evilities, are you referring to all the stuff that's like "gain 10% attack for every step you walk," "gain 10% attack for every ally standing adjacent?" Does that include the sage one that boosts damage per unit hit at once? Is it because they all cap out soon and you get that boost from other methods anyway so it no longer applies?

oSoLucky

I looked through the various class evilities, are you referring to all the stuff that's like "gain 10% attack for every step you walk," "gain 10% attack for every ally standing adjacent?" Does that include the sage one that boosts damage per unit hit at once? Is it because they all cap out soon and you get that boost from other methods anyway so it no longer applies?

No, those are great! I mean like Seraphina's "boost stats by 25% while Killia is on the map". Anything that boosts a characters stats(not damage or ATK) after combat is entered isn't that great because of inconsistency.

No, those are great! I mean like Seraphina's "boost stats by 25% while Killia is on the map". Anything that boosts a characters stats(not damage or ATK) after combat is entered isn't that great because of inconsistency.

Ah ok, good to know. I've seen people say that early classes aren't that great but many of them have starting class evilities that sound amazing, like the ones I listed, or trying to choose between the healer who auto-cures status effects or the one with double the healing power!

oSoLucky

Ah ok, good to know. I've seen people say that early classes aren't that great but many of them have starting class evilities that sound amazing, like the ones I listed, or trying to choose between the healer who auto-cures status effects or the one with double the healing power!

Yes, that Valkyrie one you talked about is one of the absolute strongest evilities in the game. It's just that you can put it on a character that has better move, unique skills and a good unique evility/overload to go with. You can add 3 extra UEs to any character in the game.

Also, the Skull is one amazing with its 30% extra damage(Magic Bundle).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This LE package is pretty great, i was also honestly thinking they would have multiple boxes but they neatly stuffed it all in one

oSoLucky

Is using hirable characters over overlords a disadvantage or does it not really matter as long as they're levelled?

It doesn't really matter during the story. If you're going to use an Overlord, just make sure to set sub classes and change then when they max. This allows you to use the Evilities of that sub and boosts your stats on every level up.

This LE package is pretty great, i was also honestly thinking they would have multiple boxes but they neatly stuffed it all in one

Yea pretty happy with the LE. Seems like a fair price for what it came with and as is always been the case with items I've ordered from their store it was extremely well packed.

Edit: anyone confirmed what the battery life is like with Disgaea 5? Since I'll probably be playing this mostly undocked would be nice if it got more than expected.

Edit: anyone confirmed what the battery life is like with Disgaea 5? Since I'll probably be playing this mostly undocked would be nice if it got more than expected.

I can get around 4 hours out of it myself, on medium brightness and mid to low sound output. Probably something like 4h15m

Yea pretty happy with the LE. Seems like a fair price for what it came with and as is always been the case with items I've ordered from their store it was extremely well packed.

Yeah, I like ordering from NISA because their stuff always arrives pristine. It's why I usually opt for buying stuff from their site rather than Amazon, because even with the Prime discount most limited/collector's editions I get from Amazon arrive in a really poor state.

Top Bottom