• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protesters rip decor of new Brooklyn restaurant with ‘bullet holes’ as offensive

Isak_Borg

75smsfp.png

You know this shit won't end well.

OmniGamer

I live in a rent controlled apartment in Crown Heights and our rent went up ten dollars in the past three years.

Same here basically. After that approved 4% hike a few years back, it's been holding stable...holding on to this apartment for dear life. Especially for the included utilities.

To those familiar with the area, will this kind of press shut them down? Or will the hipsters embrace it even more for the edginess?

Isak_Borg

Same here basically. After that approved 4% hike a few years back, it's been holding stable...holding on to this apartment for dear life. Especially for the included utilities.

ha! We moved to philly and subleted our apartment because we were like dear lord if we have to move back to NY at least we have a rent controlled apartment.

Mahonay

Banned
To those familiar with the area, will this kind of press shut them down? Or will the hipsters embrace it even more for the edginess?
Nah, place will probably do poorly from here on out. There are a billion restaurants and bars to contend with in NYC. You do shit like this and you won't last.

Isak_Borg

Crown Heights doesn't have hipsters and kind of tired of this word getting tossed around when it comes to BK.

Crown Heights is more college kids who work in the wall street area and moved here because of the easy access to downtown manhattan.

Fucking know nothings commenting on this hood is such a bullshit move.

OmniGamer

ha! We moved to philly and subleted our apartment because we were like dear lord if we have to move back to NY at least we have a rent controlled apartment.

I hear you...I'm out of town for months at a time, but keeping this as a New York stronghold because the alternative of renting as a "newbie" is horrifying.

*Sidebar* Crown heights/Brooklynites...is it just me or have all the local corner Chinese food store prices been creeping up rapidly?

Damn the protesting and especially calling her 'becky' is really uncalled for.

They should have just opted to eat somewhere else, use their wallets as form of protest.

junpei

Damn the protesting and especially calling her 'becky' is really uncalled for.

They should have just opted to eat somewhere else, use their wallets as form of protest.
No. Eating somewhere else doesn't really send any sort of message. The owner would just think that maybe the food's not right or maybe it's the location. Protesting the stupid restaurant and telling them what's wrong with it is the best way to go about this.

Gallbaro

Banned
Something tells me you are subletting bat market rate...

If you are this is a jackass thing to do, effectively removing an affordable apartment from the marketplace.

tkscz

Was confused at first. I thought the lady was trying to make a restaurant to appeal to black people in a black community using stereotypes, which is bad enough. Now I see she was trying to appeal to hipsters and Suburbians with it, which only makes it worse. The fuck was she thinking? I mean, ok I know what she was thinking, and I get she wasn't trying to be harmful, but come on.

Also, $15 for a 40. The gas station down the street from me has them for $2.50.

E-DuB

do tell...?

would be interesting to see the reaction if she rebranded it to "Chicagoland" and put up a bunch of old Capone pictures
Like the person I quoted alluded to, Summerhill, along with The Bridal Path and Forest Hill, are ultra rich areas in Toronto. Calling it summerhill is almost the cherry on a very shortsighted cake.

I feel like this is someone who grew up watching rap videos on MUCH and wanted to capitalize on white people's perceptions of urban New York life.

Oppo

Like the person I quoted alluded to, Summerhill, along with The Bridal Path and Forest Hill, are ultra rich areas in Toronto. Calling it summerhill is almost the cherry on a very shortsighted cake.

Oh I see.I thought you meant someone from Toronto wouldn't know better, which they definitely damn well ought to.

(it's "Bridle Path" btw, like a horse bridle. I thought it was "Bridal" for years too)

rudger

It's the same deal with fried chicken, which is even more bizarre since it's more widespread than watermelon.

I always found the negative elements of the stereotype funny and odd since lots of non-black people love both things. In fact, pretty sure I ate both last week...multiple times.

That being said, I've lived in various parts of the US and there is a clear increase in fried chicken joints when you hit a neighborhood that is predominantly black. And there's nothing wrong with that. Such things are true for literally all cultures and races. Some foods are just more popular with certain people than others.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Crown Heights doesn't have hipsters and kind of tired of this word getting tossed around when it comes to BK.

Crown Heights is more college kids who work in the wall street area and moved here because of the easy access to downtown manhattan.

Fucking know nothings commenting on this hood is such a bullshit move.

College kids who work on Wall Street? Let's just say that I never got that vibe.

Isak_Borg

Something tells me you are subletting bat market rate...

If you are this is a jackass thing to do, effectively removing an affordable apartment from the marketplace.

Nope, we Subletted at the exact amount we were paying and after 8 months moved back.

akira28

Was confused at first. I thought the lady was trying to make a restaurant to appeal to black people in a black community using stereotypes, which is bad enough. Now I see she was trying to appeal to hipsters and Suburbians with it, which only makes it worse. The fuck was she thinking? I mean, ok I know what she was thinking, and I get she wasn't trying to be harmful, but come on.

Also, $15 for a 40. The gas station down the street from me has them for $2.50.

thinking with her wallet

E92 M3

Protesting a business that isn't harming anyone doesn't seem sensible to me. A successful business means more taxes being paid and improves the local community.

Preezy

How do people have the time to protest shit like this? Some stupid woman made a poor choice in the decor of her business, big whoop. It wasn't malicious, just ill-considered. Hardly deserving of a street mob trying to drive her out of business.

Otheradam

How do people have the time to protest shit like this? Some stupid woman made a poor choice in the decor of her business, big whoop. It wasn't malicious, just ill-considered. Hardly deserving of a street mob trying to drive her out of business.

Because it's the easiest way to vent about their frustrations to the changing neighborhood.

Infinite

heh

Gallbaro

Banned
Nope, we Subletted at the exact amount we were paying and after 8 months moved back.

You successfully vetoed my jackass call.

However it is not unheard of for rich rent controlled tenets (remember rent control has no relation to income) to treat the apartment as an asset, sublet at a profit and then live outside the city.

KoopaTheCasual

Won't someone think of the poor poor gentrifiers! )))):

We're about two years away from hipsters touring cities in Land Rovers, taking pictures of "hood people."

I had no idea this was a thing until a few days ago when I was looking for some videos of a city I was planning on visiting and found there are channels just dedicated to making videos of "hoods" As you'd expect the comment section is littered with racist comments but then you have people from other countries that find it very fascinating. Here is the particular channel I came across.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CharlieBo313

That article also shows us how old the "What about black on black crime?" bullshit is:

Two years later, a Georgia newspaper reported that a black man had been arrested for poisoning a watermelon with the intent of killing a neighbor. The story was headlined “Negro Kuklux” and equated black-on-black violence with the Ku Klux Klan, asking facetiously whether the Radical Republican congressional subcommittee investigating the Klan would investigate this freedman’s actions.

Top Bottom