• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple patents way to secretly call 911 using your fingerprint

In a patent published by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday, the tech giant outlined a feature that would allow users to call emergency services "when a conventional method may not be practical."
Although it's already possible to call 911 through the lockscreen on iOS devices, this would allow users to reach out for help when an attacker or assailant is watching, the patent said.
The company suggests the technology would look for a sequence of fingerprints or applied pressure to trigger a 911 call.
"The user may program the electronic device to recognize input entered with a particular sequence of fingers, such as pinky-ring-pinky, as a command to make an emergency call," the patent states.
This means it might appear that a device owner is unlocking a phone for an attacker but they're discreetly contacting 911. But "no indication of the execution is apparent."
The feature, which could be programmed to bypass passwords and log-in screens, may also alert authorities to a user's whereabouts and automatically pull live audio or video directly from the iPhone.
The patent adds that the technology could erase or hide certain personal data you might not want to share with others, such as social security numbers or a home address.
It's unclear if Apple will build the technology into software updates -- filed patents don't always see the light of day -- but it's a good indication of what's top of mind for the company. Apple did not respond to a request for comment.
Most recently, the company rolled out an SOS feature to its Apple Watch to make contacting emergency services easier.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/18/tec...071817apple-patent-fingerprint-9110506PMStory

That is a cool idea. I kind of hope they still will allow others to use it even if they get it granted and that other companies are interested in using it.

And if they wouldn't apply for the patent you could just have someone else trying to go for one screwing Apple over.

This is brilliant but how can they be allowed to patent something like this?

Why wouldn't it be? An invention is an invention.

Cookie18

That essentially means you'd rather not have it at all. I can't imagine any company in a position to implement this wouldn't also patent it.

This, I understand why they would patent it and want to. I don't understand how the government could allow something like this to be patented and not just free use.

There should be a different set of rules for something as serious as emergency services.

Plumbob

This, I understand why they would patent it and want to. I don't understand how the government could allow something like this to be patented and not just free use.

There should be a different set of rules for something as serious as emergency services.

If someone invents a faster ambulance you're saying they don't deserve the patent?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
"The user may program the electronic device to recognize input entered with a particular sequence of fingers, such as pinky-ring-pinky, as a command to make an emergency call," the patent states. This means it might appear that a device owner is unlocking a phone for an attacker but they're discreetly contacting 911. But "no indication of the execution is apparent.

I mean if this actually gets implemented and advertised, it is going to be quite obvious. You would still be able to do it discretely in certain cases, but if the attacker is literally asking you to unlock the phone and you start doing assorted finger combinations, then they'll be aware. Again provided the feature is big enough or whatever.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"The user may program the electronic device to recognize input entered with a particular sequence of fingers, such as pinky-ring-pinky, as a command to make an emergency call," the patent states. This means it might appear that a device owner is unlocking a phone for an attacker but they're discreetly contacting 911. But "no indication of the execution is apparent.

I mean if this actually gets implemented and advertised, it is going to be quite obvious. You would still be able to do it discretely in certain cases, but if the attacker is literally asking you to unlock the phone and you start doing assorted finger combinations, then they'll be aware. Again provided the feature is big enough or whatever.

just had an idea. what if when you put your pin in backwards it crashes the phone after a few seconds but secretly does all this stuff in the background

to the patent office!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I think people are making a big deal about the patent thing. Apple could patent the feature being native to the OS or something, but there are already fingerprint gesture applications for Android I think where you can program certain fingerprint sensor reads to perform certain tasks.

Would programming a double or triple tap gesture to call a specific number set by the user - 911 in this case - infringe on the patent?

KHarvey16

I'm curious about who's going to invest resources to develop new life saving technologies in an economy that expects them to be repaid in good will.

Brannon

I thought that emergency unlock procedures were already in place with alternate unlocking procedures, like say my code is 1234, but if I put in 4321, it'll call 911 in secret while being unlocked. Or is that just for alarm systems?

tokkun

I'm curious about who's going to invest resources to develop new life saving technologies in an economy that expects them to be repaid in good will.

I think the reasons that patenting this feels a bit ethically uncomfortable are

A. It is not an idea that seems expensive to develop
B. It probably won't really affect their sales anyway
C. This is the richest publicly-traded corporation in the world, so it's not like they couldn't afford to give it away

That is in contrast to a pharmaceutical company, where there is a significant amount of money spent in R&D and clinical studies in order to bring a life-saving drug to market.

The financial impact of making it free does not seem all that high, and corporations make charitable donations all the time to engender good will, so why not?

Gallbaro

Banned

I think you are greatly over stating the R&D costs thrown into this. Also remember, patents are not a free market instrument.

That is a fucking shit think to patent. Fuck apple.

The risk then is that there is a larger risk of somebody else patenting it, and then it is possible you are screwed.

They just have more control this way, I do have my doubts about them restricting others from using this, but it is much safer.

KHarvey16

I think the reasons that patenting this feels a bit ethically uncomfortable are

A. It is not an idea that seems expensive to develop
B. It probably won't really affect their sales anyway
C. This is the richest publicly-traded corporation in the world, so it's not like they couldn't afford to give it away

That is in contrast to a pharmaceutical company, where there is a significant amount of money spent in R&D and clinical studies in order to bring a life-saving drug to market.

The financial impact of making it free does not seem all that high, and corporations make charitable donations all the time to engender good will, so why not?

I think you are greatly over stating the R&D costs thrown into this. Also remember, patents are not a free market instrument.

I agree the specifics here are a different argument. My post was a response to the general sense no one should ever profit from saving lives.

For this specifically again I'd say whatever issues a person might have must certainly be with patent law and not any specific company. Google or Motorola or HTC or whoever would patent this too if they came up with it. It's the normal "find ideas you can patent" thing all companies do with regard to engineers and designers thinking things up. It's not ground breaking and might never see the light of day, so those treating it like this patent is preventing us living in some different world is a bit much too.

I had the shortcut button on the side of my Samsung S5 set to dial 911.

samsung-galaxy-s6-active-aa-18-of-19-840x473.jpg

I miss having that option.

Mohonky

Yeah making sure an idea doesn't make you money is a great way to incentivize innovation in ways to save lives.

Things that are relative to emergency services shouldnt be monopolised or a 'fearure'.

Whats is hard to understand about that? Or are you also happy with big pharmaceuticals that patent drugs and charging people who need them out the ass for it?

KHarvey16

Things that are relative to emergency services shouldnt be monopolised or a 'fearure'.

Whats is hard to understand about that? Or are you also happy with big pharmaceuticals that patent drugs and charging people who need them out the ass for it?

I think companies wouldn't spend millions or billions to make any drugs if they couldn't secure their rights to them. What a fair price to charge is ends up being a separate question. Gouging is always shitty.

kmfdmpig

Yeah making sure an idea doesn't make you money is a great way to incentivize innovation in ways to save lives.

If they had invested $500 million in R+D to create a new life-saving drug then yes, they should be able to make profit off of that investment for a few years before there are generic alternatives.

In this case, however, what's the R+D? It's an idea, and a good one, that someone working for Apple had. Why non-Apple users should be blocked from their manufacturers implementing something similar eludes me in this case.

KHarvey16

If they had invested $500 million in R+D to create a new life-saving drug then yes, they should be able to make profit off of that investment for a few years before there are generic alternatives.

In this case, however, what's the R+D? It's an idea, and a good one, that someone working for Apple had. Why non-Apple users should be blocked from their manufacturers implementing something similar eludes me in this case.

If it sees the light of day and others want it they'll just license it I'm sure.

jugo

Neo Member
You mean like Volvo did with the three point seatbelt?

They decided that the invention was so significant, it had more value as a free life saving tool than something to profit from. - Some Volvo guy

Guess apple feels this had more value making them money.

Lucini

Banned
RE: people outraged about the patent

Aren't they patenting this with specific regards to the Touch ID function of their phones? This isn't a patent on calling 911, so we can all put the pitchforks down for a second and maybe apply rational thought and read the quote in OP again. The quote literally describes using the fingerprint in a specific pattern to discreetly and surreptitiously call 911 in a moment of distress. There are some key things to pull out of that statement that relate to current Apple products, like fingerprints (Touch ID) and patterned fingerprint entry (novel use of existing technology for new purpose).

Good enough to chill out?

Top Bottom