• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about a small scene from Raimi's Spider-Man 2...

LionPride

Banned
Yeah, Martin from Double Toasted described it that way and honestly after hearing that it really doesn't bother me all that much anymore.
That was honestly evident from jump

I dunno what annoyed me more, hearing Tobey called Emo or Garfield called Emo when neither were fuckin emo

Schlorgan

All this thread has done is further convince me that there will never be a "perfect" Spider-Man movie because Spider-Man means something different to everybody, and everyone has different criteria for what constitutes an "accurate" Spider-Man film. So every one of his movies is going to have a significant "Not my Spider-Man" contingent arguing against it.
Yup.

Sam Raimi clearly loved the early Lee/Ditko/Romita Spider-Man, and aside from Spidey being mostly silent in his movies I think he nailed that incarnation of the character pretty well. Spider-Man 2 is a fantastic film.
Also yup.

McLovin

I liked that he was kind of learning to be a better person, instead of just being the too good to be true type of person. Although they Peter did constantly bail on his friends throughout the movie. I thought that was kind of weird.

All this thread has done is further convince me that there will never be a "perfect" Spider-Man movie because Spider-Man means something different to everybody, and everyone has different criteria for what constitutes an "accurate" Spider-Man film. So every one of his movies is going to have a significant "Not my Spider-Man" contingent arguing against it. Like I'm sure a lot of people became fans from reading the comics, but what does that even mean? Spider-Man comics have had a lot of cooks in the kitchen over the decades, and each creative team brought their own flavor that some people will swear by and others won't. Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man is now old enough to be many people's childhood Spidey, and he is a much different character than the Spidey that Stan Lee wrote. I mean, even Spidey under JMS' pen is remarkably different than he is as currently written by Dan Slott.

That said, I personally think the idea some people have brought up that Spider-Man 2 isn't true to the comics is laughable. It follows Amazing Spider-Man #50 practically beat for beat (even bits like Peter ignoring a crime in progress shortly after he gives up being Spider-Man, and rescuing someone as Peter Parker shortly before deciding to become Spider-Man again are in the comic). Outside of the opening fight scene he doesn't really crack jokes in the original issue either, spending most of the story in angst. The psychosomatic loss of powers angle (and Doc Ock as the antagonist) in the movie is right from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1, which also had an undercurrent of Peter wanting to just have a normal life.

Sam Raimi clearly loved the early Lee/Ditko/Romita Spider-Man, and aside from Spidey being mostly silent in his movies I think he nailed that incarnation of the character pretty well. Spider-Man 2 is a fantastic film.

Pretty much all of this.

I do think if you pushed everyone who has seen a few Spidey films for the "best" one, it is almost always going to be Spider-Man 2 (with SM1 or Homecoming following up).

I haven't seen Homecoming (Or Logan or WW... working on it) but I can almost guarantee beforehand that it won't top SM1 or 2 for me. SM2 is the best superhero film ever made alongside TDK.

So I guess you've never seen the Captain America movies then?

Cap to Raimi Spider-Man was like "Superman Returns" to "Superman '78"

They both showed their heroes colors well, and didn't stray far from the character, but they can't top their precursors.

Dalek

So I guess you've never seen the Captain America movies then?

tyFFw5W.gif

I really don't see how people get away with these silly comments. The MCU films are getting progressively more diverse, and some are pretty deep.

Raimi's sentimental shtick got so tired by the third film.

MCU tends to not explore the themes. They'll say what they are and go, "Peter needs to stop being so ambitious by trying to be an Avenger" but then he is given the suit regardless of his bad choices and everything is OK because he did whatever he wanted. Just going from A to B isn't enough, you gotta actually explore what you preach or else it'll be deemed shallow and it rightfully has by many.

It's good strategy because you can get an average movie to be perceived as a high quality movie and you can market that easily.

Yeah, watched this exact scene on YouTube a few days ago and forgot what a gut punch it was out of nowhere. Loved Homecoming, has me buying Spider-man comics once again, but it didn't elicit an emotion in me anywhere near as strongly as the scene in question.

Edit: Scene on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjokjB5VGjg
God damn, while I love these movies, I haven't watched them in a bit. Just saw Homecoming, I liked it.

But this scene alone made me feel. Such wonderful films. So much heart.

God damn, while I love these movies, I haven't watched them in a bit. Just saw Homecoming, I liked it.

But this scene alone made me feel. Such wonderful films. So much heart.

It's really good at hammering down why you should care for these characters and what exactly drives them.

Nearly all the Marvel movies lack emotional impact. Highly entertaining but forgettable.
Logan is the most recent exception.
Logan is made by FOX, but I completely agree with the other two sentences. Think I'm give SP2 another view tonight while I work.

I really don't see how people get away with these silly comments. The MCU films are getting progressively more diverse, and some are pretty deep.

No, they really aren't aside from WS.

Nearly all the Marvel movies lack emotional impact. Highly entertaining but forgettable.
Logan is the most recent exception.

Both the mcu and dceu lack it big time. All of their movies. Although I appreciate that wonder woman at least tried and gave it's characters some room to breathe in between all the action and plot progression.

Logan done exposed them all lately. I hope the Batman movie takes some notes from that since the director has made 2 apes blockbusters with some strong emotional stakes involved.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
"Shallow" is the perfect word to describe most MCU films.

so edgy and cool.

Looking back and rewatching spider-man 2 i do appreciate it for what it was but i understand why homecoming did not want to emulate it.

I'd say just ignore these comments, the same people will write up a 12 page essay on why batman v superman is the all time best film. Some marvel movies can be deep and most can be a fun time at the movies i dont see why every film must be the dark knight or rosebud. Ghostbusters the original was not a deep thought provoking character film and its still regarded as an excellent fun awesome movie.

Top Bottom