• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you own a movie and it's on netflix, where do you watch it?

Mirado

Don't you always have to have your computer running Plex to do that, though?

I built a computer specifically for it (well, that and other things that need a ton of storage). Runs FreeNAS, six 4TB hard drives, 16GBs of RAM, etc. It has enough horsepower to send out multiple Blu-Ray quality streams to different devices without bogging down but uses so little power when it's idling that you can leave it on 24/7. It's not something you have to do if you want to go this route (I use it for more than just Plex so building your own may be a bit excessive if you only plan to serve movies/music), but I've got disks on top of disks on top of disks, so I needed something more than a computer with a hard drive or two in it to do what I wanted.

Again, it's the initial time/money sink that's the problem; once it's up and running, you're golden, but I can understand why people wouldn't bother. I would say that if you are ever looking into buying a NAS off the shelf, to build it yourself instead. You can do it cheaper and get a better, more flexible, more powerful product out of it in the end, not to mention it's always nice to you have your own personal Spotify/Netflix service to brag about.

(And if you think that's nuts, I'm planning a major expansion as I've maxed out what the enclosure can do without replacing the drives one-by-one to 10TBs or whatever. 10 Gigabit networking to my workstation, maybe switching to something clustered, probably rackmounted, etc. Going overboard is a bad habit of mine. :D)

Getting up, find in the disc, putting it in, waiting for it to load, skip past or forced to watch FBI warnings, finally get to the main disc menu, click that and load into the movie.

It's fucking painful and definitely takes more than five seconds.

Netflix experience can't be beat, though I don't deal with drops in quality midway like you're describing, I agree that would sour the experience for sure.

Again, barring the setup (as simple as ripping it to a PC or as complicated as I made it above), ripping it solves all of your complaints. No finding, no getting up, no loading, no warnings, just straight into the movie. And Plex even handles the extras if you structure your folders right, meaning you get the added disk value without the bullshit!

DOWN

Banned
Blu-Ray but I stopped buying discs so I don’t have this problem. I’ve learned that console graphics and streaming quality are all worth any compromise with how much more convenient they are than the higher fidelity alternatives.

mm04

NAS for 2D, disc for 3D/4K, Netflix for their "Originals". If you invest in a home theater, and you've actually wired your setup yourself and you're too lazy to get up and insert a disc? Sell your home theater equipment.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Getting up, find in the disc, putting it in, waiting for it to load, skip past or forced to watch FBI warnings, finally get to the main disc menu, click that and load into the movie.

It's fucking painful and definitely takes more than five seconds.

Yeah. 30 seconds. So horrible.

Neith

Banned
Bluray. Jesus lord I have no idea why anywhere else. I have a fairly big collection, and I don't like macroblocking and other crap on my films.

Blu-Ray but I stopped buying discs so I don't have this problem. I've learned that console graphics and streaming quality are all worth any compromise with how much more convenient they are than the higher fidelity alternatives.

I will never lower my standards for lesser quality. To each their own.

buying movies is kind of a waste when you think about it

It really isn't though. Blurays are cheap, even a lot of good ones. And Streaming isn't even close to the same quality. People buy large, expensive TVs, and then watch shitty macroblocking on low bitrate messes with those TVs? That's kinda useless IMO and just lazy. A waste of your TV.

I like to support the films I love. Fuck Netflix for everything. I'll use Amazon and Netflix for docs and TV shows and that is about it. But not my favorite TV shows. Those I wait for full quality on Bluray or UHD.

Kyoufu

Blu Ray if I own the movie.

But let's just say I don't own the movie and I have to make the choice: Buy the film on Blu Ray or just watch it on a streaming service? I will go with the latter most of the time.

If I'm planning on watching it - Blu Ray, but if I see it on Netflix by chance and decide "yeah Imma watch that" - Netflix since it's right there.

Having said that, I haven't watched a movie in over a year. Damn.

sirap

Blu Ray. Spent a lot of money to get the best audio and visual quality possible. 5 minutes of prep time means nothing when a movie lasts hours.

Wiped89

Bluray.

It takes minutes to load, versus watching the entire film at lower quality.

Same with when a film is showing on TV. I usually just throw the disc in if I want to see it.

xrnzaaas

I'd always choose Bluray, because I'm a sucker for high quality image. My Bluray collection is small though, because I prefer to spend money on video games.

TheDanger

Banned
usually Blu Ray, but my Blu Ray collection consists of the LOST complete box set, the Harry Potter movies and Pulp Fiction.

Kill Bill is an exception for DVD as I have the Japanese version where everything is in color.

Raptomex

If it's on Netflix, I'll watch it there for the convenience but I prefer to own physical copies of my movies so I'll get or usually already have the blu-ray. Movies can be removed from Netflix.

If i have the uhd than im not going to watch it on netflix. However stuff that doesnt exist on that format yet (disney stuff) ill usually wait for it to hit netflix for a home viewing

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If the movie I own is on VHS or DVD, then Netflix. Otherwise, Blu Ray is my default medium for watching movies. The sound quality alone is reason enough for me to choose it over Netflix.

Top Bottom