• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the Disney "Renaissance"-era films (1989-1999)

Preezy

Personally I love Hercules, Mulan and Pocahontas. I also love the established "classics" of this era.

Only ones I don't really enjoy are Hunchback and Tarzan. Not a fan of the constant Phil Collins in Tarzan, and Hunchback is just a bit bland.

plainr_

1. Aladdin
2. The Lion King
3. Hercules
4. Mulan
5. Tarzan
6. Beauty and the Beast
7. The Little Mermaid
8. The Rescuers Down Under
9. Pocahontas
10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Nev

Banned
1 - Lion King
2 - Beauty and the Beast
Tied - Mulan, Aladdin, Hercules

The rest - The rest.

Hunchback would be better if it weren't for the abundance of shitty songs.

Clod83

The Best

Aladdin, The Lion King, Mulan

The Worst

Pocahontas, The Rescuers Down Under, The Hunchback of Notre Dame

_Rob_

This'll go down well...

1. Aladdin
  2. Hercules
  3. The Lion King
  4. Hunchback
  5. Tarzan
  6. Mulan
  7. The Rescuers Down Under
  8. The Little Mermaid
  9. Beauty and the Beast
  10. Pocahontas

It is hilarious that Disney put all its a-list staff on Pocahontas (lion king was being made simulteneously) and were expecting it to be their biggest and best film! Near lion kings launch a disney exec said 'lion king is a good film but pocahontas is going to be amazing'

But of course instead Lion King ended up being everything..:

1. Lion King
A huge gap
2. Alladin
3. Mulan
4. Tarzan
5. Pocahontas
6. Beauty and the beast (this story sucks and its one of the worst disney soundtracks imo)

Not seen the reat

Jotakori

1989-1999 for me is:
-The Lion King
-Beauty and the Beast
-The Little Mermaid
-Aladdin
-Hercules
-Mulan
-Tarzan
-The Rescuers Down Under
-Pocahontas (although the colors of the wind song alone would place above aladdin for me, love that song)
-Hunchback of Notre Dame (the only movie on this list I actively dislike lol)

and then 00's list:
-Lilo and Stitch
-Treasure Planet
-Emperor's New Groove
-Brother Bear
-Atlantis
-Princess and the Frog
-Meet the Robinsons
-Dinosaur
idk about the rest cuz I didn't see them,
but chicken little is dead last, really disliked that movie

Banned
1. Beauty and The Beast
2. Mulan
3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
4. The Lion King
5. Rescuers Down Under
6. Aladdin
7. The Little Mermaid
8. Tarzan
9. Hercules
10. Pocahontas

Ranking these were hard as I enjoy all of them expect for Pocahontas. Beauty and The Beast is the GOAT.

Chuckie

1. Aladdin
2. Mulan
3. Beauty and the Beast
4. The Lion King
5. Hercules
6. The Little Mermaid
7. Tarzan
8. The Huncback of Notre Dame
9. Pocahontas

- Rescue Rangers (haven't seen it)

1. Hercules
2. Aladdin
3. The Lion King
4. Beauty and The Beast
5. Hunchback of Notredame
6. Mulan
7. The Little Mermaid
8. Rescuers Down Under
9. Pocahontas
10. Tarzan

Why?
The Lion King will always be the most competent better done animted 2d movie of probably all time. BUT Hercules is my jam, its a superman story, where they made greek mythology make more sense (a story where you dont hate every fucking character on their legends, eh greeks), it has my favourite musical soundtrack (upbeat gosple with greek legehns was absolutely fantastic), it has the best female disney character, and that ending... that ending still gives me goosebumps and makes me so emotional. Its triumphant, it ends with an epic song, theres "fireworks", theres crazy dancing, everyone is there and "That's phil's boy!"... Holy shit, best thing ever.

Aladdin is also pretty awesome thanks to its characters and music, and thats why I also lvoe it so much. Lion King is actually the same, but just a little less than the other 2.

Love B&B (be my guest and gaston are fantastic), Hunchback (amazing OST, a movie that i hated when I was smaller, but really appreciated once I watched as an adult), Mulan (the last great Renaissance era movie IMO) are all great. Those could go up and down the list between them depending on the mood of my day. Princess and the frog should be in this part even if its for another era because it has a similar quality and its a pity how they treat it.

The Little Mermaid, I like it because of what accomplished in an era of animation that really needed that movie, but as a movie, is really inferior to the rest. From a history standpoint, its incredibly important (and better than Pocahontas and Tarzan).

Rescuers, apart from the beautiful animation, I dont remember a thing about it.

Pocahontas is boring trash.

Tarzan, is better than Pocahontas, but for me, not by much and it brought the beggining of the end, so fuck it for that. I really hate they type of soundtrack, what I call the "scooby doo effect" with vocal music in the background and scenes happening as montages), the spanish version is atrocious becuase Phil Collins decided to sing in nearly every language possible for him (in spanish he sounds like he has heavy lisp). The movie that said "hey people hate musicals now" and as a person that loves musicals, fuck that also. The characters and villain are boring as hell also (although i will say I like Jane's and his father design).
I also hate Lilo and Stitch for similar reasons, but that is worse because I hate the character even more. I still remember when I thought the movie was going to be about Stitch being a dimensional space traveller entering other Disney movies to fuck with them becuase of this poster (and the first trailers):
liloevil2.jpg

And I freaking loved the idea, and then that boring elvis aloha shit with a shitty extraterrestial dog came to be.

While long, this video pretty much sums up the problems myself and others have with Hercules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KznZcK7ksf4

Ive seen that video 2 times some time ago (1first time becuase I like watching Lindsay videos so i watched it myself when it released, and the second time becuase a Hercules hater that wanted to disprove my opinion send it to me like a universal truth) and what you and Lindsay think are problems, lots of us see it as virtues. Same as me hating Tarzan because of my interests while other people loving it. its my opinion, not a study, not "facts". The problem I have with that video is she treats her opinion as a methodological study thing, and people who dont like Hercules attach to that and will link it at every turn possible when people say they love Hercules, just like the bioshock infinte videos that "study" its problems.

Violet_0

Banned
if the criteria is how much I enjoy them, then Mulan and Aladdin and maybe Lion King are at the top. I honestly don't much care for most of the Disney Renaissance movies

Tyaren

This is imo the holy quadrinity of the Disney Renaissance:

- The Little Mermaid
- Beauty and the Beast
- Aladdin
- The Lion King

After that the films gradually lost their magic and by 2000 it was completely gone.

Peru

Hunchback is great, and one thing that's great about it is that it's a musical through and through, with one great number after another and Alan Menken at his grandest best. Odd that a movie that dares to be as different both in tone and in musical approach can be labeled bland here -- underrated Disney classic for sure.

Hunchback is great, and one thing that's great about it is that it's a musical through and through, with one great number after another and Alan Menken at his grandest best. Odd that a movie that dares to be as different both in tone and in musical approach can be labeled bland here -- underrated Disney classic for sure.

Yup, it surprised me a lot when watching it as an adult how many music per minute of footage this movie has.
The music doesnt stop to tell a part from the story (like in the renaissance, not criticising that, just saying that was the method there, and I liked it), or just stops to sing a song that doesnt forward the story (my biggest problem with new disney movies), the music is part all the time of the story and flows with it, thats why it basically never stops.

And its amazing for it. Really really enjoyed it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
1. TLK
2. Aladdin
3. BatB
4. Mulan
5. RDU
6. Hunchback
7. TLM
8. Hercules
9. Tarzan
10. Pocahontas

oh we're doing a 2000's?

1. Treasure Planet
2. Lilo and Stitch
3. Bolt
4. Emperor's New Groove
5. Brother Bear
6. Meet the Robinsons
7. Princess and the Frog
8. Fantasia 2000
9. Atlantis
10. Dinosaur
11. Home on the Range
12. Chicken Little

disagreed

Anticol

Banned
Ok we all know the top 2 are Lion King and Aladdin, and the ones that sucked were mulan, pocahontas and Tarzan, the others are ok.

Neith

Banned
Yup, it surprised me a lot when watching it as an adult how many music per minute of footage this movie has.
The music doesnt stop to tell a part from the story (like in the renaissance, not criticising that, just saying that was the method there, and I liked it), or just stops to sing a song that doesnt forward the story (my biggest problem with new disney movies), the music is part all the time of the story and flows with it, thats why it basically never stops.

And its amazing for it. Really really enjoyed it.

Honestly people must have been expecting some super anthemic type of film with a different vibe. I can't believe people would call it bland. The art style is amazing. The songs are very mature, and the whole story is very well told. The bluray is also a bluray where Disney did not tinker too much with it. Looks great.

Firebrand

I've only seen Lion King, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast of those, so... those 3 in that order I suppose?

Didn't Duck Tales the Movie come out during this period too?

Pachimari

Wow, looking at this I realize I haven't seen any of their feature films since I was a kid. I remember loving Mulan, Hercules, Pocahontas, Notre Dame and the Lion King. I should really get back to rewatching them all.

I only really watched one from the 00's and that was Bolt which I absolutely loved.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame disrespect in this thread is disgusting
This, holy shit.

Like yeah, the gargoyles are lame but for the most part they're pretty separate from the rest of the movie which is otherwise fantastic and still ballsy for Disney even nowadays. Also Frollo best Disney villain with best song.

People complain about the ending too but it all make sense when you realize that Phoebus actually appreciated Esmeralda for the person she really was unlike Frollo and Quasimodo who projected their desires on her in opposite ways.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This, holy shit.

Like yeah, the gargoyles are lame but for the most part they're pretty separate from the rest of the movie which is otherwise fantastic and still ballsy for Disney even nowadays. Also Frollo best Disney villain with best song.

People complain about the ending too but it all make sense when you realize that Phoebus actually appreciated Esmeralda for the person she really was unlike Frollo and Quasimodo who projected their desires on her in opposite ways.

you don't recall the climax?

like I actually would have been fine with the gargoyles in throughout their representation... until the climax

they would have been the perfect "only quasi sees them" but nope, they get to do shit in the climax

Quality:
Beauty and the Beast
Lion King
Aladdin
Mulan
Little Mermaid
Lilo and Stitch

Personally:
Mulan
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Lilo and Stitch

Oozer3993

1. Aladdin
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Mulan
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. The Lion King
6. Hercules
7. Pocahontas
8. Tarzan
9. Hunchback of Notre Dame

I haven't seen Rescuers Down Under.

1. Aladdin
1. Hunchback of Notre Dame
1. The Lion King
4. The Little Mermaid
5. Hercules
6. Beauty and the Beast
7. Mulan
8. Tarzan
9. Pocahontas

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Haven't seen then except The Lion King when I was six, but I remember thinking it was great aside from the two comedy sidekicks.

The Tarzan and Hercules hate in this thread are crazy to me. Neither of them are in the same tier as Aladdin and Lion King and the like, but the soundtracks are stellar in each.

I assume it was Alan Menken's idea to set a movie about Greek gods to gospel music, but whoever it was, it is in my opinion one of the most inspired choices in any Disney film

This. Especially for Tarzan. I thought the movie was quite good, and while I wouldn't rank it with BatB, TLK, TLM, I definitely enjoyed Phil Collins' music.

old

1 Beauty and the Beast (1991),
2 Aladdin (1992),
3 Hercules (1997),
4 The Lion King (1994),
5 Mulan (1998)
6 The Little Mermaid (1989),
7 Tarzan (1999).
7 The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996),
7 The Rescuers Down Under (1990),
(Hunky flab of whale shit)
Pocahontas (1995).

Pocahontas was just terrible and offensive.

linkboy

1) The Lion King
2) Beauty and the Beast
3) The Little Mermaid
4) Tarzan
5) Aladdin
6) Mulan
7) The Rescuers Down Under
8) The Hunchback of Notre Dame
9) Hercules
10 Pocahontas

Stop ranking Hunchback last! Then we'll never get the live action remake of it we deserve. :(

My ranking, from what I've seen:

Goat: The Lion King
Great: Aladdin, Hunchback
Very good: Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Rescuers: Down Under
Good: Tarzan

eso76

Hunchback is the best of the bunch actually and you're all wrong.

Great music and cinematography, though art itself wasn't always very good.
Story was a hugely watered down version of Hugo's, but this has been the case with Disney since Snow white and Pinocchio (Pinocchio in particular shits on the source material so shamelessly Collodi should be kicking Disney's balls for all the eternity on the other side) but the movie still has powerful moments.

And they created great villains.
-Hades (my favoirite)
-Frollo
-Gaston
-Scar
-Ursula
-Jafar

Now something I dont like is everyone of them is a fucking plotwist.
The time they decide to return a charismatic tour de force villan its going to be a breath of fresh air.

necrosis

1. Tarzan
2. The Lion King
3. Mulan
4. Hercules
5. Aladdin
6. The Little Mermaid
7. Beauty and the Beast
8. The Rescuers Down Under
9. Hunchback
10. Pocahontas

ashado

Neo Member
01. Mulan
02. Tarzan
03. Beauty and the Beast
04. Aladdin
05. The Lion King
06. The Little Mermaid
07. Pocahontas
08. Hercules
09. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
10. The Rescuers Down Under

I could probably switch my top five around at any given moment. They're the ones I love enough to own on DVD/Blu-ray so I always have the ability to watch them whenever I want. However, I know for a fact that I've watched Mulan and Tarzan more than the others and I also still listen to the soundtracks on a regular basis, so that's why I made them my top two.

The last four on my list... I've actually rewatched all of them in the last year or so and I didn't get the same feelings I got when I watched them as a kid. I couldn't even make it all the way through The Rescuers Down Under, which actually made me feel a little sad. I still think all of them have good qualities though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This reminds me that I really should watch Hunchback. I recall mixed reviews and impressions at release, but feel over the years a groundswell of support has followed its wake, particularly for the villain's portrayal. (But to ignore the gargoyle comic relief)

whoszed

Very good:

Aladdin
Mulan

Good/Decent:

Lion King
Hercules
Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Tarzan
Hunchback

Kind of bad:

Pocahontas

LaNaranja

1. Hercules
2. Mulan
3. Lion King
4. Aladdin
5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
6. The Little Mermaid
7. Beauty and the Beast
8. Tarzan
9. Pocahontas
Haven't seen Rescuers Down Under

Hercules remains the greatest Disney movie of all time and it really pains me to see so many ignorant motherfuckers here talking a shit on it. Hunchback is also good stuff.

Berto

Have no ideia what order to put them, i'm here just for The Huntchback of Notre Dame cause its great and the hate un this thread is sickening.

Top Bottom