• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early designs for video game protagonists

Phediuk

Here's an early design for Crash Bandicoot:

Coa4BA2XEAErv7l.jpg

And here's Sonic the Rabbit:

259340-sonic1_rabbit.png

Also, Gordon Freeman almost looked like this

4219076033_4c3b279338.jpg

post more.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Early Chrono Trigger cast designs. Not all party members were kept, as you can probably tell.

9bf26eb2657a326335732f5774b925a9--chrono-cross-chrono-trigger.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Not the main hero, but Vaike from Fire Emblem: Awakening had a concept design with normal hair:

EHaItJR.jpg

Maledict

FFX

1452693172053.jpg

i think there was a dark haired tidus at some point too

Wow, Tidus looks so much better there it's quite shocking. If they'd kept that relatively toned down design (and more masculine / realistic body proportions for a top line athlete) I think he would be remembered far more fondly.

Bunny Sonic is so cute, but didn't that design get used for another character in Sonic Adventure that is all white?

This is way better. But i guess we have to aplaud them for making her "chubbier" and less good looking. She looks like a real person now.

I also agree that those alternate designs are [not as fitting]. I am so happy they went with the Aloy we got.

Golnei

Halua in Nier started off as alternately a moeblob and equally moe dog/bird-person, which eventually changed to be a much more naturalistic child in the final game alongside the now-iconic Weapon head.

Though that change also booted her out of 'protagonist' status, I think it fits due to how closely it's tied with Emil, who was promoted to the main cast in the final game.

Fox1304

Cool thread. Subbed.
The FFX ones are insanely far from the end results. First time I see them too. And thank god Gordon Freeman was transformed from Gears Of War Bro to Normal scientist.

Harlequin

Back when Lara Croft was still Laura Cruz (not sure if the art with the teal top is from before or after the name change but the other two pics are from before AFAIK):
Code:
 [img]http://i.imgur.com/YKqN1cc.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Vd0KxIB.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MAjFV5w.jpg[/img]

arigato

Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn.

aloy___horizon_zero_dawn_by_loish-db1hw1w.png

C60hvoQWoAQl73y.jpg

ef6f24767b15493bd7c4d343dd7d714d-db3xeox.png

horizon-zero-dawn-artbook-scan2.jpg

be0wpxzt1qi0nb7jnido.jpg
Oh wow, I would've vastly preferred this character design over the official release. Getting this hairstyle though as DLC would be cool too.
This is way better. But i guess we have to aplaud them for making her "chubbier" and less good looking. She looks like a real person now.
Realism is overrated and exploring or immersing oneself in a limitless fantasy world is infinitely better.

Dice//

Banned
Woah these are way better! The fuck?! Not that I dislike the design now, just saying

Would have brought the crap out of horizon if she looked like this. Hits that nice sweetspot of cute and confident. I hate the graphical realism focus in games nowadays. The current Alloy design is boring compared to this.

These Alloy designs are way cooler than what we got.

Agreed that they're prettier... but they're also less practical. Aloy's design was meant to emphasize mobility...big, puffy, fashionable bangs would be hindrance to this running archer.

It sucks (I love Loish's art), but a lot of designs for female characters are definitely very preoccupied with the "fashion component" and I definitely don't think that's what they were going with her.... plus as cool as they look on the "cartoon girl" here, I can't picture it on the current 3D model.

RRockman

Banned
Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn.

aloy___horizon_zero_dawn_by_loish-db1hw1w.png

C60hvoQWoAQl73y.jpg

ef6f24767b15493bd7c4d343dd7d714d-db3xeox.png

horizon-zero-dawn-artbook-scan2.jpg

be0wpxzt1qi0nb7jnido.jpg

Would have brought the crap out of horizon if she looked like this. Hits that nice sweetspot of cute and confident. I hate the graphical realism focus in games nowadays. The current Alloy design is boring compared to this.

CD Projekt RED redesigned Geralt for every game, but the Witcher 2 was particularly tumultuous.

Concept Witcher 2 Geralt (there were others, but I can't find them):
211913-266181-witcherbetterjpg-620x.jpg

For comparison, here are his final appearances in each game:

Top Bottom