• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

borghe
Loves the Greater Toronto Area
(10-12-2017, 11:01 PM)
borghe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

Called Apple, we’re gonna do a three way call with a MA rep to see what’s up with the 4K streaming.

I don’t expect it to go anywhere, but it’ll be interesting nonetheless

yeah that sounds about right.

I am honestly shocked at how responsive apple is when it comes to iTunes content. I bought a movie from them a few years back that was fine. I went to watch it like a year later and the audio track was completely messed up/unusable. So I opened a ticket and they said they couldn't do anything, about it because the movie was no longer available for purchase (it wasn't), and that I would have to contact Warner Brothers and tell them the movie was messed up and they had to send a new file to apple.

So I contacted Warner, and they basically told me it was apple's problem.

So I went back to apple and told them Warner told me it was their (Apple's) problem, and the rep asked me to forward them the email that Warner sent me.

Then I didn't hear anything.

For about 5 weeks.. heh. Then I get an email back from apple saying the file is fixed. I also see the movie is back on the store and my stream of it now works again.

Anywho, can't wait to hear. But yeah, when apple gets involved with a content issue with iTunes, if they aren't telling you "you don't have the rights to watch that", they'll usually take it as far as they need to to get it resolved.

Originally Posted by tiebreaker

I'm not familiar with this kind of service. Do you have to stream it, or you can download it and watch later?

this just syncs the purchases among all participating retailers. What rights you get to the movie will depend on the retailer. iTunes let's you download everything except for 4K (which is streaming only)
Ashhong
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:01 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by rjinaz

Clear your cookies. log out. Log in to the old DMA website. Open a new tab. Login to the new Movies Anywhere website.

This worked for me. I tried and failed previously at least 20 times before I did this.

Used a completely different browser with no cookies and still the same error :(

This account cannot be migrated. Please choose a different account to migrate.
Dr. Zoidberg
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:07 PM)
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
OK, got my DMA migrated and all four stores hooked up, however almost nothing is showing in MoviesAnywhere except the DMA stuff, and even with that there is something missing (Toy Story of Terror, which is technically not a movie I guess?). Most of the other stores aren't showing anything they weren't before (due to DMA, etc) so I'll give it a day and check again to see whether it resolves itself.
Fox Mulder
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:07 PM)
Fox Mulder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

Used a completely different browser with no cookies and still the same error :(

This account cannot be migrated. Please choose a different account to migrate.

me too.

im just going to try again tomorrow. I just want to carry over the vaulted stuff I have in DMA. Even if migrating never works, the movies are in itunes and should pop over whenever that works for me.
Syriel
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:09 PM)
Syriel's Avatar

Originally Posted by WildZero

For some reason my copy of Blade Runner from Amazon has turned into something called Daffy Duck’s Quackbusters on iTunes.
It’s showing up OK in Google Play & Vudu, so I’m not sure what happened there...

Likely a title id mismatch.

Something of this nature is a relatively large data undertaking.
Ashhong
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:09 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar
This service is really making me regret not redeeming all of my codes. I'm sure the majority of them expired already, which is lame. Why even have an expiration date dammit
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(10-12-2017, 11:09 PM)
dallow_bg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

This service is really making me regret not redeeming all of my codes. I'm sure the majority of them expired already, which is lame. Why even have an expiration date dammit

Most probably still work.
I've used codes years past the date.
Nordic4tKnight
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:11 PM)
Nordic4tKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by WildZero

For some reason my copy of Blade Runner from Amazon has turned into something called Daffy Duck’s Quackbusters on iTunes.
It’s showing up OK in Google Play & Vudu, so I’m not sure what happened there...

Hahahaha
Snaku
Banned
(10-12-2017, 11:13 PM)
Snaku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

This service is really making me regret not redeeming all of my codes. I'm sure the majority of them expired already, which is lame. Why even have an expiration date dammit

Most if not all should still work. They have expiration dates but they're rarely enforced.
Syriel
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:14 PM)
Syriel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

This service is really making me regret not redeeming all of my codes. I'm sure the majority of them expired already, which is lame. Why even have an expiration date dammit

Liability reasons.

Unless you were planning on selling some of your codes, why not use them?
Cheebo
Banned
(10-12-2017, 11:16 PM)
I was curious earlier how redemption codes for physical purchases will work in the future as Disney movies used DMA codes and the other studios used UV.

From chatting with the MA help all physical releases from the participanting studios in the near future will no longer come with UV/DMa/etc codes but MA codes to redeem on the Movies Anywhere site.
soldierblue
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:17 PM)
I can’t disconnect from within the iTunes app to try to reconnect, so I guess I’ll wait longer. I’m curious about the potential of 4k upgrades. I didn’t actually have any purchases outside of TV.

But honestly, I’m probably going to stick with Vudu. With that I get all my UV stuff plus everything in MA.
mechashiva
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:17 PM)
mechashiva's Avatar
How do you see what is 4k in your iTunes library? Do you have to look from a 4k Apple TV? On my laptop I looked at Deadpool and it says HD but I believe that's one that Apple has in 4k.
Nordic4tKnight
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:18 PM)
Nordic4tKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by mechashiva

How do you see what is 4k in your iTunes library? Do you have to look from a 4k Apple TV? On my laptop I looked at Deadpool and it says HD but I believe that's one that Apple has in 4k.

You need to be on iTunes on iOS 11 or an Apple TV I believe.
pantsattack
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:28 PM)
pantsattack's Avatar

Originally Posted by tiebreaker

I'm not familiar with this kind of service. Do you have to stream it, or you can download it and watch later?

You have the option to do either.

The OP to the Digital Movie thread is massive and filled with info for you.
Dr. Zoidberg
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:29 PM)
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
Most of my libraries are starting to populate now. The lack of MGM and Paramount sucks for me due to Bond and Star Trek which is a big chunk of movies.

MA says it's connected but iTunes isn't showing jack yet. Where should I look in the iTunes app? Store -> Purchased?
rjinaz
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:33 PM)
rjinaz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

Used a completely different browser with no cookies and still the same error :(

This account cannot be migrated. Please choose a different account to migrate.

Did you try logging into the old DMA website as well?
Fox Mulder
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:35 PM)
Fox Mulder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

Most of my libraries are starting to populate now. The lack of MGM and Paramount sucks for me due to Bond and Star Trek which is a big chunk of movies.

MA says it's connected but iTunes isn't showing jack yet. Where should I look in the iTunes app? Store -> Purchased?

itunes is showing the movies in my library. Store - purchases work also.

it's not spitting anything out to MA though for me though. There's a paramount film that's not compaitible, but the rest are DMA disney titles or ones I've also bought on vudu.
Snaku
Banned
(10-12-2017, 11:45 PM)
Snaku's Avatar
Just noticed that movies gained from other people through UV family sharing will be added to your Movies Anywhere account if they're MA compatible. My cousin just bought War for the Planet of the Apes through Vudu and it showed up in my iTunes library. Comforting to know that as long as UV sharing continues to exist, each of our MA libraries will grow.
Gattsu25
Banned
(10-12-2017, 11:51 PM)
Gattsu25's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snaku

Just noticed that movies gained from other people through UV family sharing will be added to your Movies Anywhere account if they're MA compatible. My cousin just bought War for the Planet of the Apes through Vudu and it showed up in my iTunes library. Comforting to know that as long as UV sharing continues to exist, each of our MA libraries will grow.

Awesome.

This movies anywhere service is pretty great. If Disney can get more studios to allow their catalog in then it makes managing your digital library so much easier and allows people the flexibility to hunt for the best deal for a flick instead of settling for more expensive releases that just happen to be on their storefront of choice.

I don't see the catch with this...and there has to be a catch, right?
DOWN
Junior Member
(10-12-2017, 11:54 PM)
DOWN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snaku

Just noticed that movies gained from other people through UV family sharing will be added to your Movies Anywhere account if they're MA compatible. My cousin just bought War for the Planet of the Apes through Vudu and it showed up in my iTunes library. Comforting to know that as long as UV sharing continues to exist, each of our MA libraries will grow.

This will be abused
peppermints
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:55 PM)
peppermints's Avatar

Originally Posted by DOWN

This will be abused

I don't see how it's a abuse? It's completely allowed.
Dr. Zoidberg
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:56 PM)
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gattsu25

I don't see the catch with this...and there has to be a catch, right?

There is some loss of privacy. Every partner gets to share data about what movies you own, which ones you buy, for how much, when you watch them, how often, etc. etc.

Very valuable info for them but not a huge loss of privacy for me, IMO. It's worth the trade-off.

If MA gets hacked, and it's poorly designed, you might have to change all your passwords for the connected services.

Originally Posted by peppermints

I don't see how it's a abuse? It's completely allowed.

Abuse doesn't mean that something is illegal or against the rules. It means that you are using a nice feature meant for one thing (FAMILY Sharing) and then using it for something else, such as sharing with random strangers off the Internet in order to avoid having to buy movies. That is what he is alluding to. There could be threads in the future where GAF users share with each other. They're not stopping you, but it goes against the stated purpose, and, if rampant, will result in the termination of that nice feature.

Originally Posted by Snaku

I mean it's literally the point of the system, it's how UV family sharing has always worked.

He is not saying YOU are abusing it, but that the feature itself will be abused by others in the way I described.
Snaku
Banned
(10-12-2017, 11:57 PM)
Snaku's Avatar

Originally Posted by DOWN

This will be abused

I mean it's literally the point of the system, it's how UV family sharing has always worked. It's just nice to know that MA doesn't block our shared titles.
SunDimension24
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:00 AM)
SunDimension24's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

This service is really making me regret not redeeming all of my codes. I'm sure the majority of them expired already, which is lame. Why even have an expiration date dammit

I redeemed a ultraviolet code that expired June 2015 a few hours ago and it worked so I don't think the expiration dates are heavily enforced at all.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(10-13-2017, 12:03 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

Abuse doesn't mean that something is illegal or against the rules. It means that you are using a nice feature meant for one thing (FAMILY Sharing) and then using it for something else, such as sharing with random strangers off the Internet in order to avoid having to buy movies. That is what he is alluding to. There could be threads in the future where GAF users share with each other. They're not stopping you, but it goes against the stated purpose, and, if rampant, will result in the termination of that nice feature.

VUDU mentions sharing with Family and Friends.
It's not really limited to a household.

https://watch.vudu.com/share/how-it-works/

They want as many people joining as possible to potentially make purchases.
X05
Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
(10-13-2017, 12:16 AM)
X05's Avatar

Originally Posted by louiedog

Didn't DMA link to Microsoft? Anyone know if that's coming?

Neither TV, nor It's Not TV, It's HBO are available. Hopefully in the future.

Originally Posted by louiedog

I really hope a Microsoft link becomes available soon. It was available with DMA. It's where my copy of The Hidden resides so this is very important.

MS was dropped from DMA at the beginning of September, and given how they are discontinuing the Music part of their store, I suspect that might be coming to the Video side as well.
So I wouldn't count on MS being added for the time being, if at all.

Originally Posted by Snaku

Apple refusing to support UV, and then Amazon withdrawing their pledge to support it is what killed UV. This is what UV was always supposed to be, and it's better than MA because of family sharing. Conceptually this is a step back from UV.

AFAIK (D)MA has one advantage, and that is the fact that you can unlink from sites without losing content. If you unlink your UV library from say, Vudu, all non-Vudu bought/redeemed UV content goes with it (at least it did last time I checked, someone correct me on this if it's no longer the case)

Originally Posted by SunDimension24

I redeemed a ultraviolet code that expired June 2015 a few hours ago and it worked so I don't think the expiration dates are heavily enforced at all.

Yeah, in general they don't enforce them. Yesterday I redeemed Jurassic Park trilogy codes on iTunes that were supposedly expired on 2012 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(10-13-2017, 12:22 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar
Connected iTunes a couple hours ago, but only one movie seems to have transferred over to iTunes so far.
vatstep
This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
(10-13-2017, 12:23 AM)
vatstep's Avatar
I linked my Vudu account to MA but none of my movies are showing up. :(

NM I probably just have to wait longer (saw an earlier post).
suddenlyissoon
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:24 AM)
suddenlyissoon's Avatar
Still can't get Vudu to link. Just gives me a generic "unable to link" message
Dr. Zoidberg
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:26 AM)
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

VUDU mentions sharing with Family and Friends.
It's not really limited to a household.

I never said it was? I'm just explaining the concept of abuse of a feature. This has always been a debatable topic since the heyday of Sony's game-sharing initiative. Sharing with friends and family is the point. I don't believe the intent of such features is to have semi-anonymous people on the Internet frequently rotate accounts with one another in order to avoid purchases, but at this point I'm sure the companies know that some measure of that activity is going to take place and account for it. Some people's decision to take advantage of such a feature begins and ends at "They're not banning people for it" so they will do whatever they can within the framework provided. Those people's definition of "friend" will become very loose if they can get some free movies out of it. This is just the nature of humanity.
jetsetrez
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:28 AM)
jetsetrez's Avatar
I can't believe they finally did it! This is really wonderful, I've wanted the studios to implement an industry-wide system like Disney's for years. As someone who used to switch between ecosystems pretty frequently, my movies are pretty spread out between iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, and Vudu/UV. I have a lot of favorites on each service, but the majority of them are on iTunes and that's where I want to have everything. I didn't want to rebuy digital media just to have it all in one library, so I'm really happy they finally did this and that I only re-bought a few titles when they were $5.
mrkordell
Junior Member
(10-13-2017, 12:31 AM)
mrkordell's Avatar
if I buy a 4k movie in iTunes will the 4k version show up in Vudu?
Roberto Duran
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:38 AM)
Roberto Duran's Avatar
Is there a site that tracks the price of movies on these retailers?
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(10-13-2017, 12:40 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

I never said it was? I'm just explaining the concept of abuse of a feature. This has always been a debatable topic since the heyday of Sony's game-sharing initiative. Sharing with friends and family is the point. I don't believe the intent of such features is to have semi-anonymous people on the Internet frequently rotate accounts with one another in order to avoid purchases, but at this point I'm sure the companies know that some measure of that activity is going to take place and account for it. Some people's decision to take advantage of such a feature begins and ends at "They're not banning people for it" so they will do whatever they can within the framework provided. Those people's definition of "friend" will become very loose if they can get some free movies out of it. This is just the nature of humanity.

You did call it "FAMILY Sharing" which is why I responded, but I'll accept you meant it generally.
As for the rest of your post, yes, that's pretty plain to see. I'm sure it will be reigned in as the platform matures just as it did with Sony.

Actually, with UV's death around the corner, it may not be an issue for much longer.
Machine
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:45 AM)
Machine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roberto Duran

Is there a site that tracks the price of movies on these retailers?

justwatch.com lists prices for most of the services
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(10-13-2017, 12:47 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Machine

justwatch.com lists prices for most of the services

Not 100% reliable though from spot checking.
Ashhong
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:48 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Syriel

Liability reasons.

Unless you were planning on selling some of your codes, why not use them?

Nah I just never really thought I would need it, and didn't know what service I wanted to redeem them on. But nowadays I find myself wanting digital. I'll go home and try all my old codes and hope they work

Originally Posted by rjinaz

Did you try logging into the old DMA website as well?

I did, and it loaded up fine
Dr. Zoidberg
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:51 AM)
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
So, after seeing nothing come across to or from iTunes and waiting a while I figured I would try to disconnect that one and re-connect it as someone on an earlier page said that was one of the troubleshooting steps. I logged into MA, clicked the Disconnect button for iTunes. It says I have to do this in iTunes itself so the client loads, and takes me to the Account Information page. Now what? I don't see anything that pertains to this on that page.

EDIT - This is what the Help says:

Once iTunes has launched, go to Account Settings in the iTunes Store and locate the Movies Anywhere section and tap "Disconnect"

My iTunes account page has no "Movies Anywhere" section at all. Which would explain why I haven't seen anything sync across. Looks like I'm screwed. I'll have to contact Apple.
neojubei
Will drop pants for Sony.
(10-13-2017, 12:52 AM)
neojubei's Avatar
am i crazy or when i connect accounts i am getting extra movies.
J-Skee
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:55 AM)
J-Skee's Avatar
Started going through my Blu-rays to see if any of them had digital codes. For Drive with an expired code of 12/31/16. Said why not & plugged it into MA. It worked. I'm going to be doing this all night lol

Originally Posted by neojubei

am i crazy or when i connect accounts i am getting extra movies.

You got 5 free movies for connecting two retail stores.
Zeyphersan
Banned
(10-13-2017, 12:56 AM)
Wow, I had no idea the amount of Paramount and Lionsgate movies I had on my VUDU account. When they eventually sign up it’s gonna be like another windfall for me
Roberto Duran
Member
(10-13-2017, 12:58 AM)
Roberto Duran's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

Wow, I had no idea the amount of Paramount and Lionsgate movies I had on my VUDU account. When they eventually sign up it’s gonna be like another windfall for me

I wish Lionsgate would get on this so bad. I love A24 movies, and I would more blu-rays from them if they supported something like this.
Zeyphersan
Banned
(10-13-2017, 01:14 AM)
Okay so not to alarm anyone, because AppleCare senior advisors don’t know everything and we’re escalating this to TV engineering, but...

Advisor said that the licenses that come through programs like MA count as “second session” licenses, meaning they’re not where you first purchased them. According to the agreement Apple put in place with the studios, only iTunes-purchased movies get access to 4K streams, not second sessions.

Now I think this is dubious for many reasons: even though they’re not streaming in 4K they’re streaming above 1080p and different people have hit different resolutions on the same movie, some movies ARE streaming in true 4K for people over on the macrumors forum, if this is true it would mean there is never a way to get the true 4K movie on iTunes since your account already “owns” it, it’ll stream in HDR meaning the data is there and it knows you own the better version, the MA FAQ specifically says some places will let the movie redeem and stream in 4K, etc etc.

We’ll see what engineering says, but that’s the word from Apple so far.
TotalMackerel
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:16 AM)
TotalMackerel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

So, after seeing nothing come across to or from iTunes and waiting a while I figured I would try to disconnect that one and re-connect it as someone on an earlier page said that was one of the troubleshooting steps. I logged into MA, clicked the Disconnect button for iTunes. It says I have to do this in iTunes itself so the client loads, and takes me to the Account Information page. Now what? I don't see anything that pertains to this on that page.

EDIT - This is what the Help says:



My iTunes account page has no "Movies Anywhere" section at all. Which would explain why I haven't seen anything sync across. Looks like I'm screwed. I'll have to contact Apple.

I'm having no luck either. And I also don't have a "Movies Anywhere" section. Are you on PC? I'm on PC and I'm wondering if we need an itunes update to come out or something.
Nordic4tKnight
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:18 AM)
Nordic4tKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

Okay so not to alarm anyone, because AppleCare senior advisors don’t know everything and we’re escalating this to TV engineering, but...

Advisor said that the licenses that come through programs like MA count as “second session” licenses, meaning they’re not where you first purchased them. According to the agreement Apple put in place with the studios, only iTunes-purchased movies get access to 4K streams, not second sessions.

Now I think this is dubious for many reasons: even though they’re not streaming in 4K they’re streaming above 1080p and different people have hit different resolutions on the same movie, some movies ARE streaming in true 4K for people over on the macrumors forum, if this is true it would mean there is never a way to get the true 4K movie on iTunes since your account already “owns” it, it’ll stream in HDR meaning the data is there and it knows you own the better version, the MA FAQ specifically says some places will let the movie redeem and stream in 4K, etc etc.

We’ll see what engineering says, but that’s the word from Apple so far.

Plus what happens with Movies that only redeem at Movies Anywhere, so because there was no iTunes code we never get true 4K on the Apple TV; kinda sucks for something we have no control over.
Hattori
Banned
(10-13-2017, 01:29 AM)
every movie I have is synced up across all services, except for Magnificent Seven...
borghe
Loves the Greater Toronto Area
(10-13-2017, 01:29 AM)
borghe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

Okay so not to alarm anyone, because AppleCare senior advisors don’t know everything and we’re escalating this to TV engineering, but...

Advisor said that the licenses that come through programs like MA count as “second session” licenses, meaning they’re not where you first purchased them. According to the agreement Apple put in place with the studios, only iTunes-purchased movies get access to 4K streams, not second sessions.

Now I think this is dubious for many reasons: even though they’re not streaming in 4K they’re streaming above 1080p and different people have hit different resolutions on the same movie, some movies ARE streaming in true 4K for people over on the macrumors forum, if this is true it would mean there is never a way to get the true 4K movie on iTunes since your account already “owns” it, it’ll stream in HDR meaning the data is there and it knows you own the better version, the MA FAQ specifically says some places will let the movie redeem and stream in 4K, etc etc.

We’ll see what engineering says, but that’s the word from Apple so far.

I actually don’t have a huge problem with this, EXCEPT that then blocks us from EVER buying the 4K copy on iTunes. That I have a problem with.
peppermints
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:31 AM)
peppermints's Avatar

Originally Posted by borghe

I actually don’t have a huge problem with this, EXCEPT that then blocks us from EVER buying the 4K copy on iTunes. That I have a problem with.

Yep exactly. In iTunes eyes in its current state, there's SD and HD - HD encompasses all the way up to 4K. I
Ashhong
Member
(10-13-2017, 01:32 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar
I'm an idiot and don't understand what the problem is. ELI5? Why can't we buy 4k on iTunes?

Thread Tools