• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

The chimera fight was fun. Jump on it and started slashing until it fell over with me under it. I still kept slashing it. The lion part took the longest to kill. Your pawns are competent in the prologue quest. The griffin kept diving my party. Took a long while to bring it down with arrows. It gets chaotic once the Chimera and Griffin appears on the screen. I came in with low expectations and left impressed.

Derrick01

Banned
I noticed when I killed the chimera with pawns my main didn't gain a level, but when I soloed it, the main gained a level. I'm wondering if experience is divided among the entire party.

I thought pawns didn't level up? I could have sworn I saw that in the other thread we have here. Maybe you just get more XP for each pawn slot you don't use as a reward for the tougher challenge.

No way is PS3 DDs framerate worse than Blighttown. Not even close.

Yeah it's not even worse than a lot of other places in Dark Souls. Blighttown's by far the worst (I just got there for the first time yesterday...slideshow much?) but it frequently drops to around 15 from the looks of it in many areas, like crossing the bridges in the New Londo ruins for example.

I didn't notice any severe drops while playing DD. I doubt it was running at 30 but I don't think it dropped below 19-20 even when the griffon came crashing down.

I tried the PS3 version and the framerate dipped quite a few times. Is it remarkably better on 360? Might switch up my preorder if so.

glaurung

Your pawns level up when you are the one accompanying them. No levels are gained when they're off on someone else's world. With another player they just learn tactics and monster info.

Which one do you dislike more, framerate drops or screen tearing?

It's pretty much a "pick your poison" situation. :lol

Probably best I download the 360 version too and see what bugs me more then.

I'm not usually bothered by framerate drops but it was noticeable when playing the game on PS3.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If your 360 is set to 720p, you won't see screen tearing.

Played the demo again. I understand different tastes and all, but if you aren't excited to play this, our tastes are so wildly divergent as to be confusing. Like, if you said you hate chocolate, beaches and sex I would be equally confused.

Kinda annoyed that this comes out so close to Diablo 3 though.

If your 360 is set to 720p, you won't see screen tearing.

Played the demo again. I understand different tastes and all, but if you aren't excited to play this, our tastes are so wildly divergent as to be confusing. Like, if you said you hate chocolate, beaches and sex I would be equally confused.

Kinda annoyed that this comes out so close to Diablo 3 though.

I liked the Diablo 3 beta but I could see myself playing this a lot more if they get the online right.

cametall

I went into this demo knowing absolutely squat about the game.

The first part, basically the tutorial, was weak. If that were the only section in the demo I would have written this game off entirely. To me it felt as bad as Amalur's demo (the first 10 minutes, rest was great in Amalur). The Chimera fight I thought was actually hilarious, watching the Pawns (and myself) jump onto the Chimear's leg, dangling around like a ragdoll and getting thrown off.

The rest of the fights I had no idea what the hell was going on. I would stumble across some goblins/harpies, my Pawns would go ape shit, and everything would be dead. I would wildly swing my sword hoping I was doing something because it didn't always feel like it. The combat doesn't provide any satisfying feedback.

The griffon battle was what may have sold me on the game. I loved the battle. What I found amazing about the battle was when I climbed on to the griffon and it took off flying, I hacked away at its wings and it came crashing down. I figured my character would just jump off automatically like you'd expect in every game, landing gracefully like a cat... but no, I got crushed and killed instantly between the griffon's back and the ground.

Loved it.

I'm still not completely sold on the game. I need to do more research on it and will probably wait for some reviews and more impressions before deciding, but at least it is on my radar now as highly likely to buy.

EDIT: PS3 version btw, had no noticeable issues. Maybe back to back with the 360 I'd notice something but I didn't have any slowdown, or enough slowdown that I noticed.

despite there being things about this game I simply don't like or am confused by, I enjoyed it a lot and preordered. I hated npcs getting in my way and killing all of the enemies before I could get any hits in, but it seems like some strange mix of a lot of different games I already like. controls were weird and I felt like in the full game I would get overwhelmed by the overall rpg system being used, yet I couldn't help but feel satisfied.

it's going to stay in the back of my backlog line though, as it would take forever to get through it otherwise.

So is this game open world or not?

The demo made it seem like it was setup in stages...

thank you. & it's official - this demo just plain sucks. yeah, it works nicely as a little sampler of what's in store, combat-wise, for people who've already familiarized themselves with the game, but it completely fails to give anyone who isn't already familiar, or only vaguely familiar with it any idea whatsoever of the over-all tone/pacing of the actual game itself. the demo not only doesn't scream 'open-world, exploratory rpg', it doesn't even whisper it...

if you're pitching an rpg, anything short of the amalur demo approach < no demo at all. i'm thinking that this demo will turn off more people than it will ever turn on, & even most of those turned on by it will likely be surprised to discover upon playing the game that it's actually open-world, rather than linear...

stupid...

man, i have to stay away from this thread :) ...

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Hey is there a lock on button. Sometimes my attacks would completely miss an enemy. Also why is rolling?evading to a particular class? Is it because the larger classes have shield and can block?

Great gameplay, yet terrible demo.

They designed the demo like its a devil may cry pure action game. Linear area with combat and then boss.

The entire appeal of the game was that it's a fully realized open world fantasy RPG adventure with solid combat (a rarity in the genre).

It would have been nice to let us explore a town, do a main quest and a few side quests to boot.

Ps: there is some solid depth to the combat. It has timing based combos with X button like devil may cry. And you can extend the function of the Y button by pressing and holding it.

Patryn

Great gameplay, yet terrible demo.

They designed the demo like its a devil may cry pure action game. Linear area with combat and then boss.

The entire appeal of the game was that its a fully realized open world fantasy RPG adventure with solid combat (a rarity in the genre)

It would have been nice to let us explore a town, and do a main quest and a few side quests to boot.

This is my thoughts. I need a full vertical slice. Still sure I'm going to get it, but I couldn't believe it when I beat the griffin part in like 5 minutes. I'm like "That's IT?"

Really want to know what the exploration/town stuff is like.

Strife91

Played the prologue quest without pawns. Felt much better. But I think I will one healing pawn at least in the final game.

After playing the demo several times the combat feels much better. I guess I'm getting a better hang of it now.

And the music is awesome.

Really enjoyed the demo, climbing onto enemies is a neat option. First thing I did against the Chimera was jump on and cut off the snake. I see myself with a character like the second part of the demo. With a bow (which I'll use mainly) and then a smaller weapon to climb up enemies in larger battles (though I like the archer/mage combo I saw in a video was neat as well).

Controls were no problem for me. Framerate feels low at times (more so during the first mission) but there wasn't any tearing, certainly playable (PS3). I'll have to give the 360 version a try as well(without gold do I need to wait to get the demo?).

Glad they made a demo, strangely the first time I've wished a demo ended with a video/trailer though, one that shows showing off the open-world nature, night combat, and different classes. I'm afraid people who don't know much about it will play the demo and think if it as a stage-based action RPG and leave it at that.

I'm excited for it now. I'm liking these dark weighty action RPGs with good action combat (like the Souls games), I've wanted these types of games for a long time.

nataku

I'm really enjoying the demo, but the letterbox worries me on my plasma with the amount of hours I'd put into the game. I have no way of getting the full picture with any of the format adjustments. The only thing I can do is zoom the picture in completely, cutting off the left and right edges.

PS3 demo performance seems fine to me. I definitely noticed slow down, but it's not enough to hurt the game.

demigod

Damn I thought this was a 1080p game. Anyways just played the game like 6 times both 480p(lol) and 720p, no slowdowns at all. I didn't turn any game settings off.

Mithos

So I created my character, and named it, made a pawn and named it, started up the Countryside Quest.. Why are there a "pawn" there with the name I choose to be MY name?

Just did the countryside quest again, Taking that sucker down with just arrows is a great experience. The archery in this game is very fun. Hopefully i can have a archer/mage class

Seemed like a poor representation of the game.

The demo made it feel like you were strong enough to take on the bosses one on one if you had patience due to the devs overpowering you.

The prior vids of walkthroughs and demonstrations show a much harsher world where 3 pawns were absolutely necessary.

I'm sure the actual game will make you glad you have a tank/mage/strider along side you.

Still looking forward to this. I feel bad for those who will think going solo will provide them with a more satisfying experience only to get steamrolled continuously early on.

Cheech

Is this game toing to be stomped by Diablo or what D:

EVERYTHING is getting stomped by Diablo 3 in May. That's what is so asinine about Capcom not just launching the same month, but one week after what is going to be one of the biggest entertainment launches in the entire year. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Diablo 3 is going to finish second only to Black Ops 2 in sales this year.

Screw diablo. I'm much more interested in this and I can't stand mashing 1 button for the entirety of a game.

I played Diablo's open beta, and honestly it felt more like an isometric WoW than Diablo 2.

Syril

Seemed like a poor representation of the game.

The demo made it feel like you were strong enough to take on the bosses one on one if you had patience due to the devs overpowering you.

The prior vids of walkthroughs and demonstrations show a much harsher world where 3 pawns were absolutely necessary.

I'm sure the actual game will make you glad you have a tank/mage/strider along side you.

Still looking forward to this. I feel bad for those who will think going solo will provide them with a more satisfying experience only to get steamrolled continuously early on.

Honestly, if the full game requires me to have three companions who want to lead me by the hand and constantly call out the weaknesses and attacks of every enemy I encounter, frequently shouting over each other to do so, I might as well pass.

Top Bottom