• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Motorcyclist kicks car, triggers chain-reaction crash on 14 Freeway

Hard to tell my ass. That swerve into the motorcycle was intentional. The kick was probably justified as well given that the driver in the sedan is clearly a moron. I say that as someone that hates motorcycle riders.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This kind of stuff just makes me worry someday somebody I love will be taken in an instant due to random shitty people

I don't really get how that car drives head on into the divider and then immediately bounces off full speed in the opposite direction. Why the fuck would you keep your foot on the gas after a collision like that?

I don't really get how that car drives head on into the divider and then immediately bounces off full speed in the opposite direction. Why the fuck would you keep your foot on the gas after a collision like that?
The driver just tried to kill someone. I doubt they were in a clear state of mind.

First impact could have jammed the throttle etc. Shock, broken leg perhaps, panic. Could be anything but it's unlikely he just throttled it intentionally. Try being flung into a barrier like that and see if you react correctly amidst the panic. Not everyone will.

LQX

Ugh, I feel for the white truck driver. Just out of nowhere these fuckers nearly almost killed whoever was driving.

Do not tailgate
Do not brake check
Do not swerve

If you can't stop yourself from doing these things as a result of someone driving poorly then please, get the fuck off the road. It's beyond selfish to engage in road rage. You pretty much make it clear you don't give a shit about other humans on the road.

Hard to tell my ass. That swerve into the motorcycle was intentional. The kick was probably justified as well given that the driver in the sedan is clearly a moron. I say that as someone that hates motorcycle riders.

So if someone is a shitty driver it is justified to provoke them to cause an accident?

RinsFury

Even if the driver of the sedan was a moron, how could escalating the situation by kicking another vehicle ever be justified? Just look at the results.

You seem like a rational, well-reasoned individual.

I would like to see about two minutes of footage before the video starts, though.

So if someone is a shitty driver it is justified to provoke them to cause an accident?
We didn't see what happened prior to the kick. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that he did almost run him off the road. I doubt the motorcyclist is going around kicking cars unprovoked. With that said, it's the responsibility of the driver to maintain composure and not react by trying to murder someone over a kick to their car.

antonz

Motorcycle Drivers even if they are in the right need to learn their place on the totem pole of moving vehicles. Yeah it sucks to get cut off by some asshole in a car or truck but suck it up and go on with your life.

You feel wronged enough call the police and report the driver. You are not the police. You do not get to attack peoples vehicles etc. In fact attacking a vehicle is very likely to lead to injury or even death and the person you attacked will almost assuredly get away with it.

Value your own life.

Brakke

Banned
I witnessed something like this once. Dunno what kicked it off but all of a sudden there was a flipped over pickup a couple lanes over from me and a car smashed into the divider. Couldn't even process what I was seeing until I was past the wreck and looking at the pickup in my rear view.

This kind of thing is so disorienting and the stakes are high since you don't know if you're about to get hit too or if stopping / reacting will get you hit by someone else who's distracted. Took me probably a full mile of driving before I got it together enough to exit and call 911.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
really hope this gets people to install cameras on their cars. record everything while you're on the road.

knkng

We didn't see what happened prior to the kick. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that he did almost run him off the road. I doubt the motorcyclist is going around kicking cars unprovoked. With that said, it's the responsibility of the driver to maintain composure and not react by trying to murder someone over a kick to their car.
It honestly looks like a panicked reaction to me based on the irradic steering and jamming of the pedal. Regardless, the motorcyclist kicked a car on the highway, and the car's action (whether intentional or not) can't be proven based on the video. The motorcycle is 100% at fault here.

Oh yeah, and then he leaves the scene of a multi-vehicle crash that he is responsible for. Not a piece of shit at all...

Even if the driver of the sedan was a moron, how could escalating the situation by kicking another vehicle ever be justified? Just look at the results.
Justified wasn't the right word. How about understandable if that car had almost ran him off the road to begin with. Like I said, no one is going around kicking cars on the highway for no reason. That still does not justify the driver attempting to murder the motorcyclist. It was that attempt which caused him to lose control and t-bone the SUV.

Maddness

Wow so shit motorcyclist goes Chuck Norris on this sedan who then turns the what the fuck am i doing factor up to 11 and insanity ensues. Then you have this innocent SUV getting flipped like he was an extra vehicle in a Jason Bourne movie. Welcome to the road.

It honestly looks like a panicked reaction to me based on the irradic steering and jamming of the pedal. Regardless, the motorcyclist kicked a car on the highway, and the car's action (whether intentional or not) can't be proven based on the video. The motorcycle is 100% at fault here.

Oh yeah, and then he leaves the scene of a multi-vehicle crash that he is responsible for. Not a piece of shit at all...
He rides a motorcycle, of course he's a piece of shit. That still doesn't mean you can try to kill the guy. Driving around in Miami isn't much better, and you see this type of shit all of the time. If you drive a car you carry a lot of responsibility on your shoulders, and losing control like that was negligent at best.

UCBooties

Biker better hope no one got his plate if he just drove off after that. Regardless of cause or fault that's a hit and run.

On first watch I thought the car just overcompensated, possibly from surprise at thinking they hit something, but the slow-mo makes it seem more deliberate. Awful situation and I hope the person in the truck ends up ok.

Griss

Great example of how a spat between two drivers can almost get an uninvolved party killed.

Yet Gaffers will still defend brake checking.

Ovid

Awful for the SUV driver. :(

And the motorcyclist keeps on driving like nothing happens.....
They initially slowed down saw the accident and then sped up. What were they thinking?

EDIT: My bad looks like they didn't see it happen? I don't know. Anyways crazy how it flipped over like that. I remember that use to be the issue with SUV's back in the late 90's - early 2000's.

darscot

I dunno if the driver intentionally tried to hit the bike. They seemed to be out of control like instantly. They very well could have tried to hit him but it also seems like they may have just been in a daze and got startled. The only reason I say this is I had a buddy tap on my window once and it scared the shit out of me and I swerved, not to this extreme but it scared us both.

sarcastor

The motorcyclist obviously shouldn't have kicked the car, but the car driver over reacted trying to bump the biker.

This. so much. The biker is obviously an idiot but the other driver swerve into him and then lost control. If you look closely. the driver doesn't even hit the brakes unti AFTER he/she swerves away from the biker.

If someone tries to kick my car, the first thing I would do is laugh. And then I would brake or change lanes. Not try to run them into the wall.

This. so much. The biker is obviously an idiot but the other driver swerve into him and then lost control. If you look closely. the driver doesn't even hit the brakes unti AFTER he/she swerves away from the biker.

If someone tries to kick my car, the first thing I would do is laugh. And then I would brake or change lanes. Not try to run them into the wall.

Everyone's an expert on what they would do in a given situation, until they're in the situation.

If you're in a zone, or listening to music, or thinking about something that happened at work, or any number of other things, you're not expecting a huge bang on the side of your door while driving 50mph. I mean, normally the only time that happens is when you're in an accident. So you're driving along not expecting anything, and then BOOM. It's startling as fuck. Have you ever run over a metal pipe or something? It scares the living shit out of you. Sure, if he sees the guy driving up in his rearview mirror and is aware that some guy who is probably pissed at him is right next to him, he might be less inclined to freak out.

We don't even know what pissed the motorcycle driver off, could be that the sedan driver didn't even do anything wrong and had no idea the motorcycle driver was upset to begin with. I've been driving down the freeway before when a guy drives up next to me and flips me off and I have no idea what he's even upset about.

Izayoi

Banned
Sedan driver should be charged with attempted murder, and the motorcyclist should never be allowed on a bike again - maybe reckless endangerment as well.

Fury451

Banned
I don't even understand the physics of what happened here. I assume the car tried to bash the motorcycle and then lost control? But the way it looks watching it bounce off and into the the SUV in the other lane is so bizarre.

Hopefully both these reckless asshats get in trouble.

Looks like the car driver was just waiting for anything to retaliate.

That's the trouble with this scenario. The biker can dent your car or cause a minor grievance but a car driver is only going to cause death and destruction most times.

That biker may be a jerk, but he's got nerve and a steady hand. I'm surprised the guy in the car's freakout or rage move, whatever it was, didn't smear him.

knkng

He rides a motorcycle, of course he's a piece of shit. That still doesn't mean you can try to kill the guy. Driving around in Miami isn't much better, and you see this type of shit all of the time. If you drive a car you carry a lot of responsibility on your shoulders, and losing control like that was negligent at best.
I just think it's difficult to prove.

"I heard a loud bang and panicked and then I remember hitting a wall and nothing else."

"I heard a loud bang and was attempting to get off the road, and then I saw the motorcycle next to my car and I panicked and crashed."

The motorcyclist has no legally acceptable excuse for ever kicking a car. Also, losing control after being struck by another vehicle would not fall under negligence, even if the contact was just a kick.

Zoe

Where's the responsibility of the biker to maintain composure and not go around kicking cars?

norm9

Not going to blame the swerving car. My thought process is dude hears a loud ass thudd sound to his car, freaks out, maybe he thinks he's been shot at, and car goes out of control. Gonna give benefit of doubt to the person.

Ceres

Banned
Justified wasn't the right word. How about understandable if that car had almost ran him off the road to begin with. Like I said, no one is going around kicking cars on the highway for no reason. That still does not justify the driver attempting to murder the motorcyclist. It was that attempt which caused him to lose control and t-bone the SUV.

No one in their right mind kicks a fucking moving car. Understandable my ass.

Top Bottom