• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Motorcyclist kicks car, triggers chain-reaction crash on 14 Freeway

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Not going to blame the swerving car. My thought process is dude hears a loud ass thudd sound to his car, freaks out, maybe he thinks he's been shot at, and car goes out of control. Gonna give benefit of doubt to the person.

Been shot at? You must be American

Waikis

Not going to blame the swerving car. My thought process is dude hears a loud ass thudd sound to his car, freaks out, maybe he thinks he's been shot at, and car goes out of control. Gonna give benefit of doubt to the person.

Hahaha, oh Americans.

Edit:Dammit shikoku

blackflag

I almost want to say that the car was surprised and just lost control...but you never know with these assholes on the road

That's what I thought, like maybe he didn't even see the motorcycle and just delayed instinct swerve when he kicked.

But then bikes like that are usually loud so maybe not.

He rides a motorcycle, of course he's a piece of shit.

Another threading having something to do with a motorcycle....another batch of shit posting.

I would like to see what happened in the minutes leading up to this. Obviously something happened to prompt the person filming to pull out their phone and for the biker to kick the car...not saying it was justified either way but it definitely seems like we are seeing just the conclusion of this. Also, that car definitely tried to hit the guy.

Nafai1123

Banned
Car drivers up in here like "well hey maaaaybe the car driver didn't even know the biker was there, despite the fact that some shit clearly went down prior to when this video starts, considering a biker ain't just gonna kick a car for no reason and some dude in the car behind ain't just gonna start video recording two drivers on the HWY for no reason. He just didn't see him or know he was there, heard a loud thud on the drivers side and panicked by swerving INTO where the thud came from. Makes perfect sense!"

Yeah fucking right. Dude tried to commit manslaughter. What the biker did was no better but let's not fucking pretend that what the driver did was anything but intentional. He tried to kill the rider, over corrects swerving away from the middle divider, loses traction, over corrects again and slams in the middle divider.

Not as important as the drivers responsibility to avoid attempted murder. One does minor damage, if any, the other ends with the loss of a life.

Right got it. It's ok for the biker to kick cars and cause this. It's ok for that same biker to watch as his kick causes the car to end up flipping an SUV and drives off giving no shits.

Never mind the fact all we see is the biker starting this, It's not as important eh? Just cause he wants to be an organ donor doesn't give him the right to endanger other people because they're in a car and better protected.

Car drivers up in here like "well hey maaaaybe the car driver didn't even know the biker was there, despite the fact that some shit clearly went down prior to when this video starts, considering a biker ain't just gonna kick a car for no reason and some dude in the car behind ain't just gonna start video recording two drivers on the HWY for no reason. He just didn't see him or know he was there, heard a loud thud on the drivers side and panicked by swerving INTO the where the thud came from. Makes perfect sense!."

Yeah fucking right. Dude tried to commit manslaughter. What the biker did was no better but let's not fucking pretend that what the driver did was anything but intentional. He tried to kill the rider, over corrects swerving away from the middle divider, loses traction, over corrects again and slams in the middle divider.

Bullshit. Bikers are just as capable of being dickheads.

Lesath

I don't even understand the physics of what happened here. I assume the car tried to bash the motorcycle and then lost control? But the way it looks watching it bounce off and into the the SUV in the other lane is so bizarre.

Hopefully both these reckless asshats get in trouble.

Seemed me the driver reacted to a sudden jolt and overcompensated. Contrary to what others in this thread think, I think the swerve is waaay to fast to be intentional.

Speaking personally, I do make an effort to check my rearview and side mirrors once in a while, but most of the time I don't know a motorcycle is next to me until I see them, especially since 1) if I'm on the left lane, I will not expect anything to pass me from my left, 2) if I'm driving at highway speeds, I will often not hear bikes coming, and 3) they should not be lane splitting at highway speeds anyway.

Right got it. It's ok for the biker to kick cars and cause this. It's ok for that same biker to watch as his kick causes the car to end up flipping an SUV and drives off giving no shits.

Never mind the fact all we are is the biker starting this, It's not as important eh? Just cause he wants to be an organ donor doesn't give him the right to endanger other people because they're in a car and better protected.
I've had a box of Popeye's friend chicken thrown at my cars windshield on I-95 before. I didn't go chase down the car and try to run them off of the road. If a driver gives into anger, like the sedan did, then it's on them.

Both are at fault here but if the driver of the car attempted to crush the biker he deserves jail time. You're in a one ton car vs a dude with zero protection.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Yep. Without any context of what might have happened before, it's hard to say conclusively whether the driver of the car overreacted to the sound of the kick or deliberately swerved into the bike.

Without that context, the biker clearly instigated the incident and should have stayed on the scene. He was involved in the accident regardless, and leaving the scene is a not only a crime, but in this case makes him look guilty.

Nafai1123

Banned

Never mind the fact all we see is the biker starting this, It's not as important eh? Just cause he wants to be an organ donor doesn't give him the right to endanger other people because they're in a car and better protected.

Bullshit. Bikers are just as capable of being dickheads.

Bikers are just as capable of being dickheads. Bikers aren't going to risk their fucking lives for no reason. And again, the dude that filmed this video clearly did so because some shit was going down. It was NOT a dash cam.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Holy crap that escalated quickly

Fine them both. If someone's hurt, jail them both.

Scratch that, jail both. The driver clearly tried to ram the biker while the biker started it all.

Did they?

I can guarantee you that the car drive did something exceedingly stupid before the video started that could have killed the rider.

Probably merged into the carpool lane without indicating and travelling at a much lower speed than the rider. Followed up by probably telling the rider to fuck off and that they don't care that they almost killed them.

I've had a box of Popeye's friend chicken thrown at my cars windshield on I-95 before. I didn't go chase down the car and try to run them off of the road. If a driver gives into anger, like the sedan did, then it's on them.

I've hit a block of ice at 20mph and whether or not I reacted fast enough and in the right manner to not be in thw ditch was pure fucking luck. I don't see an intentional swerve, I see a car out of control.

Lesath

Did they?

I can guarantee you that the car drive did something exceedingly stupid before the video started that could have killed the rider.

Probably merged into the carpool lane without indicating and travelling at a much lower speed than the rider. Followed up by probably telling the rider to fuck off and that they don't care that they almost killed them.

lol we're making up reasons to excuse the biker now?

What if the biker's mother was dying and the car driver rolled down his window and threw a bag of dimes at him then insulted his mother?

Bikers are just as capable of being dickheads. Bikers aren't going to risk their fucking lives for no reason. And again, the dude that filmed this video clearly did so because some shit was going down. It was NOT a dash cam.

So let's assume he started filming for a reason. Why is it automatically the driver of the car who caused him to whip it out? Clearly, we don't know. And bikers will risk their life for nothing and if you disagree you can start by convincing the dick who comes past my house at around 110-120 mph every single day.

No matter the vehicle some stupid bastard is always risking their life along with whoever else is in their way.

Nafai1123

Banned
So let's assume he started filming for a reason. Why is it automatically the driver of the car who caused him to whip it out? Clearly, we don't know. And bikers will risk their life for nothing and if you disagree you can start by convincing the dick who comes past my house at around 110-120 mph every single day.

No matter the vehicle some stupid bastard is always risking their life along with whoever else is in their way.

Yes, I'm sure the biker was riding along, saw the car and said "fuck that guy" and kicked it, at speed, on the hwy...just because. That makes perfect sense.

He was angry for a reason. That's not justification, it's context. Something that many people in here seem to be waving off. And your comparison to the dick rider in your neighborhood is off-base. Riding fast is not the same as road rage. Absolutely reckless, but completely different than deciding to kick a car at speed on the hwy.

Blastoise

Banned
As a motorcyclist. What this dude did was extremely stupid. Even if he was 100% correct.

I've been in similar situations where drivers don't see me, or cut me off on purpose. But I have to go zen and realise I'm on a bike and they're in a tank.

When riding you gotta realise that not everyone can see you. You have to be vigilant.

If I'm in the far left lane and I hear my car get hit I'm going to swerve left as well thinking I was side swiped from someone on the right. Then I notice the asshole biker on my left and I immediately swerve right and thats where the person in the car lost control.

mas8705

Regardless of whatever that has been said to one point, the video made it clear about what happened: The biker kicked the car and caused the chain of events. At this point, we have two guilty parties here and a person who was not involved getting injured in the process.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and while the car driver probably did something to get the biker riled up, it still lead to the chain of events with the biker leaving the crash site. Seriously though, I won't be shocked if we hear some arrests later tonight or tomorrow about this and both parties involved get taken in.

The driver of the car may be equally to blame, but fuck that asshole motorcycle rider for not stopping. He should be charged with hit and run.

Yes, I'm sure the biker was riding along, saw the car and said "fuck that guy" and kicked it, at speed, on the hwy...just because. That makes perfect sense.

He was angry for a reason. That's not justification, it's context. Something that many people in here seem to be waving off. And your comparison to the dick rider in your neighborhood is off-base. Riding fast is not the same as road rage. Absolutely reckless, but completely different than deciding to kick a car at speed on the hwy.

Of course they're different, I'm simply pointing out that a rider is not always putting their safety first. I've no doubt both people are in the wrong here I just find it a little silly that some people are pissed at the driver for what could be an intentional or unintended swerve as if he's the only one to blame. Both people likely fucked up prior to the recording, but the biker fleeing the scene isn't exactly a great look. Kind of implies he had a reason to.

Tom Nook

Tim Morrison and Chris Traber, who shot the video, were on their way to work when they say the driver of the silver sedan cut in front of the motorcyclist.

The incident continued to escalate between the two motorists so Traber decided to start recording on his cellphone......

The Avalanche ends up on its roof as a result of the crash.

The driver of person was taken to a local hospital with moderate injuries, officials said.

Morrison said an officer at the scene gave him an update on the Avalanche driver's condition.

”Pretty intense, so I'm just glad that the guy's OK. The officer told me yesterday that he seems to be OK," Morrison said.

The motorcyclist did not stop following the crash and authorities are investigating the incident as a possible hit-and-run.

http://ktla.com/2017/06/21/apparent-road-rage-crash-in-santa-clarita-captured-on-cell-phone-video/

I hope they catch the motorcyclist.

Ok so let's set straight a few things here.

Kicking at the car is not going to sound like a god damn gun going off...

Also the worst amount of damage that could ever happen to that car in this situation with a biker kicking at it is a small scratch or rubber mark. More likely it leaves a rubber mark.

Is it okay to kick at the car? No. It's a stupid thing to do for exactly what happened next.

That sedan is insane. Easily the worse of the two. I feel bad for that SUV which had nothing to do with it all.

If the biker was angry for being cut off, then that doesn't justify anything. Nor does that imply that the car driver has to be alert toward getting kicked on the road. Getting cut off is a common occurrence on the road.

I would be very surprised to hear a loud thud as I'm driving. Some people react differently, and even more extreme like the car driver here.

The video evidence here does not show intent on the part of the driver. It does show intent on the part of the biker. Can y'all stop apologizing for the biker?

People really need to learn how to control their temper. This is a prime example when two people lose it. They both need to be charged.

Two things. The guy filming was closer to the sedan than the truck that eventually passed and got slammed on. Goes to show to check your whole peripheral and stop for any accident ahead of you.

Another thing is I was driving once and I heard a lot thump on my car. Didnt know what it was until I noticed the right rear view mirror got folded in... Last thing I saw behind me before I heard the thump was some Motorcyclist. He probably passed me and closed it cause there was no damage marks on the mirror. Asshole.

Can y'all stop apologizing for the biker?
Look, fuck the biker. He's a piece of shit, but that sedan driver is worse. I don't buy for one second that he was just startled, particularly if things were escalating prior to the kick. He knew damn well what he was doing. Trying to run someone off of the road is far worse than some jackass kicking a car.

Nafai1123

Banned
Of course they're different, I'm simply pointing out that a rider is not always putting their safety first. I've no doubt both people are in the wrong here I just find it a little silly that some people are pissed at the driver for what could be an intentional or unintended swerve as if he's the only one to blame. Both people likely fucked up prior to the recording, but the biker fleeing the scene isn't exactly a great look. Kind of implies he had a reason to.

Of course both people fucked up. I'm not apologizing for the riders actions, but this whole "unintentional" BS is just an attempt at justifying the drivers actions.

Tim Morrison and Chris Traber, who shot the video, were on their way to work when they say the driver of the silver sedan cut in front of the motorcyclist.

The incident continued to escalate between the two motorists so Traber decided to start recording on his cellphone......

If the incident continued to escalate, the driver clearly knew he was there. "Panic" is not an excuse. He swerved into the rider intentionally.

If the biker was angry for being cut off, then that doesn't justify anything. Nor does that imply that the car driver has to be alert toward getting kicked on the road. Getting cut off is a common occurrence on the road.

I would be very surprised to hear a loud thud as I'm driving. Some people react differently, and even more extreme like the car driver here.

The video evidence here does not show intent on the part of the driver. It does show intent on the part of the biker. Can y'all stop apologizing for the biker?

See above. Again, I'm not apologizing for the riders actions at all. All I'm saying is people need to stop trying to justify the drivers actions. The video and witnesses absolutely indicate intent on the drivers part.

According too the person filming
the car driver tried to lane split in between the center divider and the rider, and almost hit the rider. The rider tempted to kick the passenger door but missed. Rider then went the driver side and thats where the video starts.

Nafai1123

Banned
According too the person filming
the car driver tried to lane split in between the center divider and the rider, and almost hit the rider. The rider tempted to kick the passenger door but missed. Rider then went the driver side and thats where the video starts.

Yep, "maybe the driver didn't know he was there and panicked" my ass. Rider could get charged with a hit and run and fleeing the scene of an accident. Driver could get charged with attempted manslaughter. Both are idiots.

Of course both people fucked up. I'm not apologizing for the riders actions, but this whole "unintentional" BS is just an attempt at justifying the drivers actions.

If the incident continued to escalate, the driver clearly knew he was there. "Panic" is not an excuse. He swerved into the rider intentionally.

Then we agree. I said before if it was intentional then fuck them both I just couldn't conclude it from such a short clip. It's clear now both escalated the situation needlessly. I agree both are at fault and was more pointing out the biker is not faultless here as some others seemed to believe or that his actions were understandable.

Regardless it seems the biker will bear the brunt of this for fleeing the scene anyway unless additional charges are brought up later.

Top Bottom