• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian and Mixed-Race People are the Fastest Growing Segments of US Population

Same with black Americans (descendants of slaves)... although it's usually a black/white mix, but mixed still.

The thing with Black Americans is you get a lot of mixes because half Black mixes tend to marry back with Black or mixed Black partners, probably due to them being elevated as more desirable in that community than they are on the other half side.

Aiustis

The thing with Black Americans is you get a lot of mixes because half Black mixes tend to marry back with Black or mixed Black partners, probably due to them being elevated as more desirable in that community than they are on the other half side.

Or people are anti-black and you don't have to worry as much among negroes.

Or people are anti-black and you don't have to worry as much among negroes.

This too, plus due to the rapes of Black women by White men during slavery and their offspring being "Black" and raised, married back into their communities, the Black American community is much more welcoming to Half/Mixed Black people as Black people.

Measley

if you're light skinned then you're white. period.

look at the discrepancy between dark skinned asians vs light skinned,
even light skinned blacks vs dark skinned, hispanics, indians, etc.

it's literally the color that matters.

Eh... I'm "light skinned" and my daughter is pale with blonde hair.

We're definitely not white.

How these studies handle African Americans is always interesting to me. Are they counting people as mixed if they mark it on a census or are they using another basis for counting someone as mixed? Because I know plenty of Black people who have a white grandparent who do not consider themselves mixed. What happens is that the offspring of a White and Black person would consider themselves mixed but then those offspring marry Black and the kids from that union consider themselves Black not mixed.

Once all the major groups fall around 20% or more, then America will become such a diverse, multi cultured place that won't exist anywhere else. Our claim to fame, and I like thinking of that future.

All those people mixing together beautifully, the American melting pot

bf771dfc02759ee5ddb82cc081d2a24aaebcb4a10c3bb53475eeecee57e09e1f.jpg

How these studies handle African Americans is always interesting to me. Are they counting people as mixed if they mark it on a census or are they using another basis for counting someone as mixed? Because I know plenty of Black people who have a white grandparent who do not consider themselves mixed. What happens is that the offspring of a White and Black person would consider themselves mixed but then those offspring marry Black and the kids from that union consider themselves Black not mixed.

I'm almost certain it's by census. So it's what you identify as. And you're exactly right about how half mixed Black people fold back into the Black community and their offspring becoming fully "Black".

Yeah, even if you look like this;

c2de606dc5795c324de907a2a8b7d2cc.jpg

You're still not white.

I just said it depends on how you look, and the one on the right could definitely "pass" more than the one on the left.

The singer Halsey is the offspring of a half White/Black American coupling and yet she looks like this and can enjoy all the benefits that comes from "Whiteness"

AOutMjYC_400x400.jpg

I was agreeing with you. Relax.

Also I didn't know Halsey was mixed. Cool!

That wasn't agreeing with me, because race is a social construct therefore society projects and defines what race you are regardless of what it is solely based on what you look like.

Therefore it doesn't mattter what your race mixture is, if you look "White" you can become "White" if you want too.

Once all the major groups fall around 20% or more, then America will become such a diverse, multi cultured place that won't exist anywhere else. Our claim to fame, and I like thinking of that future.

All those people mixing together beautifully, the American melting pot

bf771dfc02759ee5ddb82cc081d2a24aaebcb4a10c3bb53475eeecee57e09e1f.jpg

Long way to go for that, or you're just ignoring countries outside the developed world. Either way if it does, hope it manages to provide a counter example that such a nation can work well.

List_of_countries_ranked_by_ethnic_and_cultural_diversity_level%2C_List_based_on_Fearon%27s_analysis.png

You're not white, unless you look "white" for you to enjoy the benefits of "Whiteness".

Colorism within non white groups is definitely real but doesn't necessarily make them "White".

100% disagree. If you receive any benefit or advantage from having light skin, you have white privilege and therefore are 'white'. Whether or not you're Caucasian is another discussion. Saying you're not "white" even if you have white privilege is just silly. Do "black" people have white privilege? Obviously not. It's not about where you're from, it's about how you look like. A European migrant who has a kid in South Africa, who is by definition "African" will still be "white" due to their skin color, regardless of where they are from.

Likewise whether or not you're mixed is irrelevant to whether you're white or not, only your appearance. The terms "white" and "black" literally exist because of your appearance. It's funny how "white" people try to deny they are white while still enjoying all of the benefits.

100% disagree. If you receive any benefit or advantage from having light skin, you have white privilege and therefore are 'white'. Whether or not you're Caucasian is another discussion. Saying you're not "white" even if you have white privilege is just silly. Do "black" people have white privilege? Obviously not. It's not about where you're from, it's about how you look like. A European migrant who has a kid in South Africa, who is by definition "African" will still be "white" due to their skin color, regardless of where they are from.

Likewise whether or not you're mixed is irrelevant to whether you're white or not, only your appearance. The terms "white" and "black" literally exist because of your appearance. It's funny how "white" people try to deny they are white while still enjoying all of the benefits.

I agree it's about your appearance, and I'm speaking about "Race" not nationality which should be obvious. If you look "White" then you will enjoy the benefits of "White privilege", and have already said as much numerous times in this thread.. But if you do not look "White" but have light skin then you will enjoy "lightskin" privilege within and outside your racial/ethnic group which is similar but different.

I, as a light skin African American, know I enjoy lightskin privilege within the Black community and outside of it. As I've noted before, I enjoy all the benefits of being "Black" without nearly the extent of the stigmas attached to it, particularly for Black men.

I do not enjoy "White privilege" because I don't look "White" at all.

It's a bit more complicated as you're simplifying everything to extremes.

Sunster

I agree it's about your appearance, and I'm speaking about "Race" not nationality which should be obvious. If you look "White" then you will enjoy the benefits of "White privilege", and have already said as much numerous times in this thread.. But if you do not look "White" but have light skin then you will enjoy "lightskin" privilege within and outside your racial/ethnic group which is similar but different.

I, as a light skin African American, know I enjoy lightskin privilege within the Black community and outside of it. As I've noted before, I enjoy all the benefits of being "Black" without nearly the extent of the stigmas attached to it, particularly for Black men.

yes. a poc doesn't get white privilege unless they are white passing, no matter how light their skin. here is a (short) video example of white privilege among 2 black sisters. one is white passing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf9QBnPK6Yg

Disagree still. I did not say all white people the same amount of white privilege. For example, "white trash" don't have as much privilege as non "white trash." You are just trying to rationalize.

You are white, and enjoy white privilege. Is it as much as a WASP? Nope, but such is life. Not all white people are equal, after all.

The "privilege" white people have is the default, it is everyone else who is treated worse due to their skin color. Therefore, if you are treated better than say, the darkest, most "thug" person, who also happens to be dark skinned, and that better treatment is due to your skin color, then that's white privilege, and therefore you're white. There's no use even debating me, there's plenty of evidence in the literature. Any disagreement you have is just a way for you to act like you're the same as some other black folks without fully acknowledging your privilege.

I swipe right on over 50% of the Asian women I see in online dating profiles but none have swiped right on me. 100% of my matches have been other white women :(

Disagree still. I did not say all white people the same amount of white privilege. For example, "white trash" don't have as much privilege as non "white trash." You are just trying to rationalize.

You are white, and enjoy white privilege. Is it as much as a WASP? Nope, but such is life. Not all white people are equal, after all.

The "privilege" white people have is the default, it is everyone else who is treated worse due to their skin color. Therefore, if you are treated better than say, the darkest, most "thug" person, who also happens to be dark skinned, and that better treatment is due to your skin color, then that's white privilege, and therefore you're white. There's no use even debating me, there's plenty of evidence in the literature. Any disagreement you have is just a way for you to act like you're the same as some other black folks without fully acknowledging your privilege.

LMAO.

You're telling me I'm White and enjoy White privilege despite my Mom being Blasian, and my Father being African American and I don't look remotely White . LMAO

I acknowledged my privilege, but it's not White privilege therefore any privilege one gets by default due to "whiteness" doesn't apply to me nor do I benefit from.

It's almost as if there's some nuance between No privilege whatsoever and White privilege instead of ironically looking at the issue literally in Black or White.

LOL @ It's not even up for debate. Please tell me more about myself and my culture, history, and experiences.

LMAO.

You're telling me I'm White and enjoy White privilege despite my Mom being Blasian, and my Father being African American and I don't look remotely White . LMAO

I acknowledged my privilege, but it's not White privilege therefore any privilege one gets by default due to "whiteness" doesn't apply to me nor do I benefit from.

It's almost as if there's some nuance between No privilege whatsoever and White privilege instead of ironically looking at the issue literally in Black or White.

LOL @ It's not even up for debate. Please tell me more about myself and my culture, history, and experiences.

your family is irrelevant dude. both your mom and your dad could look like someone from the netherlands. if you're light you have white privilege, if you're not then you don't. you're in denial.

http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/uclalr47&div=50&id=&page=
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1751-9020.2007.00006.x/full
http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/afamlpol10&div=6&id=&page=
http://www.jstor.org/stable/30034653?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

your family is irrelevant dude. both your mom and your dad could look like someone from the netherlands. if you're light you have white privilege, if you're not then you don't. you're in denial.

You have a very elementary way of understanding the complicated nature of racial hierarchy and social status within a White supremacist society.

Lightskin privelege operates against the backdrop of "Blackness" or Darker skin, not against the backdrop of "Whiteness".

sphagnum

Banned

There's a difference between light skin privilege and white privilege. I don't know how this is even debatable.

A light skinned man of African descent is still a black guy in the eyes of white Americans, with all the connotations that carries.

You have a very elementary way of understanding the complicated nature of racial hierarchy and social status within a White supremacist society.

Lightskin privelege operates against the backdrop of "Blackness" or Darker skin, not against the backdrop of "Whiteness".

who defined blackness? why are we discussing this? hint: not "black" people.

There's a difference between light skin privilege and white privilege. I don't know how this is even debatable.

A light skinned man of African descent is still a black guy in the eyes of white Americans, with all the connotations that carries.

It's like he doesn't understand Anti-Blackness.

who defined blackness? why are we discussing this? hint: not "black" people.

LOL Exactly. I will always be defined as Black within this White supremacist society because of how I look and can never attain "Whiteness" no matter how light my skin is due to having features associated with "Negro" such as my hair, nose and lips.

Do you even understand the things your saying.

It's like he doesn't understand Anti-Blackness.

LOL Exactly. I will always be defined as Black within this White supremacist society because of how I look and can never attain "Whiteness".

Do you even understand the things your saying.

you are more "white" than a "black" person. that's all that I'm saying, which is correct. read the links, they already say this better than I can. since they've already done studies on this, I'm gonna stop posting. the tldr of the links is that lightness is associated with whiteness.

Bakercat

I kinda wanna see someone tweet this to trump to see him go on a meltdown about how the country isn't pure or some shit. Surprised conservative outlets aren't going against this type of stuff.

sphagnum

Banned

There are a lot of white supremacists who consider East Asians to be "honorary whites", and since they love using IQ tests as the rationale for their hatred and Asians dominate those, you can find plenty who are willing to mix with Asians. The others still hate Asians because they see their intelligence as "uncreative" intelligence, unlike the supposed "creative" intelligence of whites.

In any event, it would be easier for Iranians and North Indians to eventually be amalgamated into whiteness since they can claim ancestry from the Indo-Europeans than it would be for Asians, who split genetically way earlier.

So explain racist America's reaction to Obama for his 8 years of Presidency if having lightskin is white privilege…

I'll wait

you are more "white" than a "black" person. that's all that I'm saying, which is correct. read the links, they already say this better than I can. since they've already done studies on this, I'm gonna stop posting. the tldr of the links is that lightness is associated with whiteness.

I don't necessarily disagree with this.

However your making the mistake in conflating it with "White Privilege" which it isn't.

It's Light skin Privilege, because in an all White Space I'm the Black guy. In an all White Space I have the dark skin and "negro" features therefore I will be defined by it and any preconceived notions of "Blackness" will be projected unto me.

Like i said, Light skin privilege operates in the backdrop of "Blackness" or Darker Skin. So if there's another Brother in this All White Space but he's darker than me, then I may be treated better or perceived to be more attractive or less aggressive/threatening than him due to this. But at no time will I ever be considered White.

The same may occur when I'm in all Black spaces.

Kaizer

Banned

There's a CLEAR distinction between "light skinned black privilege" & fully "white" privilege. If you think a white man and a light skinned black man are on equal standing in society's view, then you're wrong. There are layers of complexity to it - it's not just either/or scenario. As a dark skinned black guy myself, growing up in the African-American community, you can see how those lighter are treated differently in some regards.

There are a lot of white supremacists who consider East Asians to be "honorary whites", and since they love using IQ tests as the rationale for their hatred and Asians dominate those, you can find plenty who are willing to mix with Asians. The others still hate Asians because they see their intelligence as "uncreative" intelligence, unlike the supposed "creative" intelligence of whites.

In any event, it would be easier for Iranians and North Indians to eventually be amalgamated into whiteness since they can claim ancestry from the Indo-Europeans than it would be for Asians, who split genetically way earlier.

Middle Easterns/North Indian people are Caucasian people, but I don't know if they necessarily want to be considered 'white', which is very European centered identity. I think earlier Census data from the early 20th century classified Indian people as 'white', but they then successfully petitioned to be grouped under 'Asian'.

As for East Asians, why the hell are we considering the opinions of white supremacists in the first place? No East Asian considers themselves white. Trust me, we get plenty of discrimination as visible minorities, and the history of how East Asian people have been treated in the US (Chinese Exclusion Act, Japanese internment) speaks for itself.

sphagnum

Banned
Middle Easterns/North Indian people are Caucasian people, but I don't know if they necessarily want to be considered 'white', which is very European centered identity. I think earlier Census data from the early 20th century classified Indian people as 'white', but they then successfully petitioned to be grouped under 'Asian'.

As for East Asians, why the hell are we considering the opinions of white supremacists in the first place? No East Asian considers themselves white. Trust me, we get plenty of discrimination as visible minorities, and the history of how East Asian people have been treated in the US (violence against Chinese migrants, Japanese internment) speaks for itself.

The original post was speculating that whiteness would remain dominant if Asians came to be seen as white by whites, so that's why I brought up how white supremacists would think about it. I don't expect it to ever happen though.

Cagey

Banned

As for East Asians, why the hell are we considering the opinions of white supremacists in the first place? No East Asian considers themselves white. Trust me, we get plenty of discrimination as visible minorities, and the history of how East Asian people have been treated in the US (Chinese Exclusion Act, Japanese internment) speaks for itself.

US v. Bhagat Singh Thind (1923) saw the Supreme Court determine a Northwestern Indian man, claiming Aryan lineage, was not Caucasian in the common usage of the term (as opposed to scientific).

US v. Bhagat Singh Thind (1923) saw the Supreme Court determine a Northwestern Indian man, claiming Aryan lineage, was not Caucasian in the common usage of the term (as opposed to scientific).

The Census continued to classify Indians as white until 1977 - took this from Wiki:

The U.S. Census Bureau has changed over the years its own classification of Indians. In the 1930 and 1940 censuses, "Hindu" was listed as a racial category.[25] In 1970, the U.S Census Bureau designated Indian Americans as "White".[13] During the 1970s, Indian Americans debated if they should "give up the emotional and psychological advantages of being considered 'Caucasian'" to try to "seek or accept minority status".[3] Indian American groups, through their own petitioning, successfully changed their racial classification from White to Asian in the 1970s to have themselves included in state and federal Asian racial categories to benefit from affirmative action.[26] Specifically, Indian Americans had their official race changed from White to Asian in 1977 "through Statistical Directive 15 of the Office of Management and Budget", causing Indian Americans to be listed as Asian in the 1980 US Census.[12] Without the action of these Indian American groups, the government would have continued to classify Indian Americans as being White.[26] Since 1980, owing to the diverse nature of South Asians, Indians and other South Asians have been classified according to self-reporting, and have the liberty to identify with the racial and ethnic group that they belong to,[14] with an increasing number identifying as "White", driven by increasing immigration from the North-West of the Indian subcontinent.[26]

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I get the hunch that even if/when we get as far as having a mostly ethnically homogenous world, people will just focus on other visual or other immediately apparent cues in order to discriminate.

Fuchsdh

This isn't that crazy. The Irish, Greeks, Italians have all come to be accepted as white. Mixed-race children strongly identify with the white part of their heritage, and that trend is strongest among mixed Asian-European ancestry.

People have supposed that hispanics (or some of them) might become "white", but others have argued it'll be east asians. Of course, past performance is no indicator of future events is the standard disclaimer, but it's not unreasonable to assume that the definition of whiteness will expand like it has in the past. Of course, what that means, good or bad, is anyone's guess. (Chances are nothing inherently good about black-white race relations, though.)

This isn't that crazy. The Irish, Greeks, Italians have all come to be accepted as white. Mixed-race children strongly identify with the white part of their heritage, and that trend is strongest among mixed Asian-European ancestry.

People have supposed that hispanics (or some of them) might become "white", but others have argued it'll be east asians. Of course, past performance is no indicator of future events is the standard disclaimer, but it's not unreasonable to assume that the definition of whiteness will expand like it has in the past. Of course, what that means, good or bad, is anyone's guess. (Chances are nothing inherently good about black-white race relations, though.)

Half of all Latino and Hispanic Americans identify as White.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

Top Bottom