• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

deadnoob

This may be a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to modding so I'll ask it anyways: Why would I want to use (and should I use) the FPS limiter? It says smoother gameplay, but why does a limited frame rate give smoother play? I'm normally getting around 60 FPS, although sometimes it goes up to 70 or down to 50 depending on the situation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm all over the hype train for this game...I just got a new receiver yesterday, the uncompressed sound adds so much immersion, I explored for about 3 hours without doing a single mission lol. Now I just need a simple and easy way to add mods.

BTW, how do you recharge the energy in a staff? I picked up a powerful one early on, but it only has about one blast.

RB on the pad. It will show you as you highlight the item in the menu as long as it's an enchanted item that is able to be re-charged.

Tom Penny

HQ towns and villages looks worth checking out but the Town Guards? Looks like Majora's Mask or something.

I don't think they look bad personally. I like how the chain mail looks in certain lighting too.

TESV2012-01-0321-13-20-85.jpg

TESV2012-01-0321-12-06-04.jpg

I downloaded No More Blocky Faces and it might have borked my game.

Loading my saves gets me crashing back to the desktop, and Verifying Game Cache from Steam just forced me to download the whole game again!

Oh boy.

XAL

i tried using boris' ENB enchancement via nexus mod - it seems to not be working at all...
do i have to install something outside of nexus mod manager to get it to work?

JVIDICAN

In skyrimprefs.ini, have you set bFloatPointRenderTarget=1?

I did not. lol. That made it allot more tolerable. It still looks way too bright though.

Ahahaha what sort of shit config is th... oh.

I wish I knew why so many people are having that brightness problem. It seems to be all over the place for different people. What it should look like, even in snow in daytime:

tesv2012-01-0322-04-50q26i.jpg
Even this seems way too bright to me. I love how it looks on the character model but the environments, not so much.

Tom Penny

i tried using boris' ENB enchancement via nexus mod - it seems to not be working at all...

When I use ENB mods. I use the normal FXAA injector program. Then I download the ENB files in a different folder. I then copy and past the files into my Skyrim folder were the TESV thing is. Then you can try different ENB's by just pasting over them. Usually you can toggle them using shift F12 or Pause / Break button. I can toggle 4 different looks between shift F12 and Pause / Break button.

I wish I knew why so many people are having that brightness problem. It seems to be all over the place for different people. What it should look like, even in snow in daytime:

Can you show a screen in normal field like were one of the Giants are. I used you config and it looked good in towns but in fields with bushes etc the saturation and bloom was crazy. Grass was bright yellowish red.

Can you show a screen in normal field like were one of the Giants are. I used you config and it looked good in towns but in fields with bushes etc the saturation and bloom was crazy. Grass was bright yellowish red.

The orange tone of the area around Whiterun is normal (for ENB anyway), maybe it has something to do with the tonemapping process he uses. It shouldn't be bloomy though, there's only a slight amount applied.

The orange tone of the area around Whiterun is normal (for ENB anyway), maybe it has something to do with the tonemapping process he uses. It shouldn't be bloomy though, there's only a slight amount applied.

Unzipped your mod and it is incredibly bright... like to the point of unplayable. Is it possible that a different mod is conflicting with this?

No other mods, just texture replacements.

Skyrim.ini

Code:
[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

uExterior Cell Buffer=64
uGridsToLoad=7

[Display]
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
bAllowScreenshot=1
iPresentInterval=0
fSunShadowUpdateTime=1.000
fSunUpdateThreshold=0.250
fDefaultWorldFOV=85
fDefault1stPersonFOV=85.0000

[Controls]
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.7200
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200

[Camera] 
fOverShoulderCombatAddY=-15.0000 
fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=-3.0000 
fOverShoulderCombatPosX=50.0000  

[Audio]
fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0
fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0
fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0
fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0

[GeneralWarnings]
SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1

[MapMenu]
fMapWorldMaxHeight=150000.0000
fMapWorldMinHeight=3000.0000
bWorldMapNoSkyDepthBlur=1
fWorldMapDepthBlurScale=0
fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.3700
fMapWorldMaxPitch=400.0000
fMapWorldYawRange=400.0000
fMapWorldInitialPitch=90.0000
fMapWorldInitialHeight=100000.0000

SkyrimPrefs:

Code:
[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
iRadialBlurLevel=0
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=5
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=3000.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=2048
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=0
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=8000.0000
fGamma=1.0000
fDecalLOD2=2500.0000
fDecalLOD1=2000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=2000.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=2000.0000
fLightLODStartFade=3500.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=0
iMultiSample=4
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1050
iSize W=1680
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=10000000.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000000.0000
iScreenShotIndex=5
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
bFloatPointRenderTarget=1
sD3DDevice="Skyrim Enhanced Shaders HDR"
bFXAAEnabled=0
iShadowMapResolution=2048
fShadowBiasScale=0.2500
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iAdapter=0
iPresentInterval=0
iShadowFilter=4
bTransparencyMultisampling=0
bDrawShadows=1
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=10000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=10000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=0
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=1.0000
bSaveOnPause=0
bSaveOnTravel=0
bSaveOnWait=0
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iDifficulty=2
[Interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=1
bGeneralSubtitles=1
bShowCompass=1
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0200
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=1
bGamePadRumble=0
bMouseAcceleration=0
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=500
[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=60.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=0
fVal6=1.0000
uID6=0
fVal5=1.0000
uID5=0
fVal4=1.0000
uID4=0
fVal3=0.8000
uID3=94881
fVal2=0.7500
uID2=466532
fVal1=1.0000
uID1=554685
fVal0=0.8000
uID0=1007612
[Clouds]
fCloudLevel2Distance=262144.0000
fCloudLevel1Distance=32768.0000
fCloudLevel0Distance=16384.0000
fCloudNearFadeDistance=9000.0000
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000
bShowLODInEditor=0
[NavMesh]
fObstacleAlpha=0.5000
fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000
fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500
fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000
fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500
fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000
fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000
fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500
fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000
fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25.0000
fEdgeDistFromVert=10.0000
fEdgeThickness=10.0000
fPointSize=2.5000
[Trees]
bRenderSkinnedTrees=1
uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=1000
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxSkinDecals=100
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=60
[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=20.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultSkyCell=1.0000
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
bShowAllResolutions=1
uLastAspectRatio=4
[BlurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=1
[BlurShader]
bUseBlurShader=0
[Water]
iWaterReflectHeight=512
iWaterReflectWidth=512
bUseWaterDisplacements=1
bUseWaterRefractions=1
bUseWaterReflections=1
bUseWaterDepth=1

I got the super brightness in ENB, too:
EgXawl.jpg

I used Confidence Man's settings. Only thing I did was set SSAO to false because it was too much for my computer apparently.

NBtoaster

For most ENB configs to work correctly (no awful brightness), you need to set bFloatPointRenderTarget=1 in SkyrimPrefs.ini (in Documents/My Games/Skyrim). The line is already there, just change 0 to 1.

I did that, but it crashed my computer on the load screen for some reason. I'll try it again though.

EDIT: I changed it. Didn't crash this time, but it's still looking overly bright.

Zimbardo

just curious about the Skyboost mod ...

are there any adverse effects? like would Skyrim be more prone to crash if you run this?

i've already read some people say that it can introduce some micro stutter when used ...whether that's true or not, i don't know.

NBtoaster

I did that, but it crashed my computer on the load screen for some reason. I'll try it again though.

EDIT: I changed it. Didn't crash this time, but it's still looking overly bright.

Hmm. It works fine for me.

just curious about the Skyboost mod ...

are there any adverse effects? like would Skyrim be more prone to crash if you run this?

i've already read some people say that it can introduce some micro stutter when used ...whether that's true or not, i don't know.

Performance should be better all round. If it causes problems (I haven't experienced any over a week) you just remove the two files.

Well after a while of tweaking and using confidence man's enb and other visual enhancements on his .ini's this is what I came up with. Hitting the hay but let me know if you want details on the setup. I keep it above 30fps at all times so I am happy with it. Some shadows end up flickering though... anyone have any ideas?

skyrim.jpg

skyrim2.jpg

Special thanks to confidence man in giving me the enb and his .ini's to screw with. Thanks a ton dude.

Morokh

And last suggestion and sorry Liquid the next series will be in one list.

Deadly Dragons

The original idea of making dragons king of the hill again and adding some unique dragon loot is really nice, but the execution is sooooo poor that it just become ridiculous :(

It's like they took the most out of place armors and dragon retex, and put it all together ...

The Tytanis crafting mod was exactly the same thing.

Talking about crafting the best thing I could come up with is a combination of :
Lost Art of the Blacksmith
Jewelcraft
Legendary Smithing Upgrades
Weapons and Armor fixes

With all this you get a complete overhaul of the vanilla crafting, by allowing you to :
- be able to create every playable, and non-playable item/armor in an un-enchanted version
- upgrade to legendary any item, even artifacts
- fixes pretty much all perk requirements weirdness like Savior's hide requiring Ebony Perk for upgrades.

There are a few items that may appear twice, and some categories can become quite cluttered, but it's as close as you can get to a complete overhaul until the CS is released.

It seems like it gets installed in the wrong location. In data instead of the parent skrim folder.

Ledsen

Great thread mate! :D

Also, I'm trying to use the .ini generator, but it has basically no description of what the options do (some have tooltips but not all). For example, I have 8 GB RAM. Does this mean that I should choose "8 GB RAM" on all the options where it's possible? Will that optimize my game for 8 GB RAM or will it make the game use all my memory and crash? Is there a good .ini guide complete with descriptions of every option and what you should set them to?

Nice thread, added a link to the OT. You know, in case anyone finds it. :lol

I need a new PC. Some of these look really good.
Well, except" It's so bright it burns my eyes"-mod.

JVIDICAN

Well after a while of tweaking and using confidence man's enb and other visual enhancements on his .ini's this is what I came up with. Hitting the hay but let me know if you want details on the setup. I keep it above 30fps at all times so I am happy with it. Some shadows end up flickering though... anyone have any ideas?

skyrim.jpg

skyrim2.jpg

Special thanks to confidence man in giving me the enb and his .ini's to screw with. Thanks a ton dude.

I like it. How does it look during the day?

Dynoro

For anyone, like me, that hates the lockpick system in Skyrim I recommend Lockpick Pro. I adds a colour coded bar above the lock so you know where to move to to unlock everytime. It is cheating though.

This thread has convinced me to try Skyboost - had been worried about script issues beforehand

This may be a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to modding so I'll ask it anyways: Why would I want to use (and should I use) the FPS limiter? It says smoother gameplay, but why does a limited frame rate give smoother play? I'm normally getting around 60 FPS, although sometimes it goes up to 70 or down to 50 depending on the situation.

I see nobody answered you yet, but Skyrim can have large fluctuations in the frame rate (haven't played the game myself, but I believe that's the case). Fluctuations in a framerate are more apparent than a stable framerate. Also, people like to have or a solid 60 or a solid 30, because there will be screentearing otherwise. Although I'm not knowledgeable on that front in any way, and don't know how triple buffering will influence in that way.

It's not a dumb question at all. I hope you understand, and I hope I understand myself.

interesting. Are you using an older computer? Any reason you havent enhanced the shadow resolution or anisotrophy?

Skyrim Enhanced shaders eh? Thats not a mod?

I force AF through enbseries.ini with the ForceAnisotropicFiltering setting. The creator recommends doing this instead of doing it on a driver level if his SSAO is being used.

Skyrim Enhanced Shaders was an older ENB based mod I was using, I just never changed that line back.

I didn't even think of that bFloatPointRenderTarget setting as being the culprit for the lighting. Good to know!

Ledsen

To me vanilla looks tons better, mainly because

a) everything is not glowing like it's radioactive, which is one of the worst things about "modern" graphics. In real life, people and plants don't glow. also

b) the blacks are not horribly crushed. In the ENB video it looks like the trees are in blackest night, but the rest of the world is in sunshine.

The only thing that vanilla could really use is some SSAO.

Top Bottom