• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, you’ll learn about Moon: Remix RPG Adventure, the greatest game yet made.

GhaleonQ

For my 1st post back:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/14134

"AR: It was reported that you were taking a 'back seat' role for Desperate Struggle. Is this true?

GS: Yes, I was involved in this project as a Creative Director. I focused all my energy on writing the scenario and polishing up the game.

AR: Who took the lead role? Was it Yoshiro Kimura?

GS: Kimura-san was a Producer on the project, whilst the leader of this team was Noboru Matsuzaki, the lead programmer.

AR: Kimura-san has expressed a wish to remake Moon Remix RPG. Have you played the PSone game? If so, what did you think of it?

GS: I completed Moon. It was very good game!

AR: Would you like to help Kimura-san fulfil his wish to create a remake?

GS: Sadly I cannot comment on this as it is not related to Grasshopper…

AR: Akira Ueda recently told Cubed3 he is ready to make a sequel to the DS game 'Contact.' However, he wants to wait until you are free. Will you make time to work with him on the project?

GS: I’ve heard that Sakura Note, developed by Audio and headed by Ueda-san is like a sequel to Contact. The game has already launched in Japan, published by Marvelous Entertainment."

Thanks for trying, Adam, sincerely.

Twig

Banned
Yoshiro Kimura is a cool dude.

One day, I will play Moon.

One day. ):

I have nothing constructive to add. Just posting to say that "This is a cool thread and I am sad I missed it last year."

GhaleonQ

tetrisgrammaton said:
sigh why'd you have to go and remind me sakura note has 0% chance of localization

I've said this before, but, oh God, download a gamerip of Uematsu's work. The game's lovely in the way that a Contact + non-Miyazaki/Takahata Ghibli would be, but the soundtrack's like the 2nd coming of Final Fantasy IX's soundtrack.

Twig said:
Yoshiro Kimura is a cool dude.

One day, I will play Moon.

One day. ):

I have nothing constructive to add. Just posting to say that "This is a cool thread and I am sad I missed it last year."

*high-five*

KTallguy

Banned
So my girlfriend surprised me on my birthday with this game, un-fricking-believable.
I will be playing it and possibly posting a playthrough diary here, although I can't promise I will update too frequently.

Is that something people would want to see? Maybe a new thread is better?
Keep in mind that I never played any other RPGs by this company, but I like weird games.

Thanks for the feedback.

GhaleonQ

GamesTM on L.O.L.: Lack Of Love? What?

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/retro/behind-the-scenes-lol-lack-of-love

Whoa! New posts!

paranoidfortean said:
This is a huge hardon you have for this game. I almost want to check it out.

You should at least try their 2nd and 3rd, since they have barely any language in them.

KTallguy said:
So my girlfriend surprised me on my birthday with this game, un-fricking-believable.
I will be playing it and possibly posting a playthrough diary here, although I can't promise I will update too frequently.

Is that something people would want to see? Maybe a new thread is better?
Keep in mind that I never played any other RPGs by this company, but I like weird games.

Thanks for the feedback.

1. WOOOOOOOO! How did she know about it?

2. Japanese knowledge? Having every post be "He says something about flying," won't be too interesting, but posting some of the funnier or moving dialogues would be cool.

3. It's pretty long and requires a lot of slow-paced gaming, so that's a problem. Obviously, I'd love a different, even conflicting, take. As I said, Tim Rogers has wanted to write about it for awhile, but he has definite issues with it. He compared it to Steambot Chronicles, which might mean he thinks of it as Mathew Kumar does? http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/08/column_battle_klaxon_the_e.php

KTallguy

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
1. WOOOOOOOO! How did she know about it?

I was in a niche game shop and I went back twice to oogle the price tag. Apparently when she went back to buy it all of the employees were saying "this is a really rare game, are you sure???".

GhaleonQ said:
2. Japanese knowledge? Having every post be "He says something about flying," won't be too interesting, but posting some of the funnier or moving dialogues would be cool.

Yes I'm fluent, that's not an issue.

GhaleonQ said:
3. It's pretty long and requires a lot of slow-paced gaming, so that's a problem. Obviously, I'd love a different, even conflicting, take. As I said, Tim Rogers has wanted to write about it for awhile, but he has definite issues with it. He compared it to Steambot Chronicles, which might mean he thinks of it as Mathew Kumar does? http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/08/column_battle_klaxon_the_e.php

Yea that's my only worry, it does seem slow paced. I don't have a problem with that, but rather I just need to set aside a good amount of time to play. The introduction was quite intriguing, but I couldn't find a save point so I will probably have to see it again.

I'm a bit worried about doing a strict play diary but I will definitely at least post after game impressions. I may just keep bumping this thread if you don't care?

I'm a huge Sakamoto fan so this is really cool. Maybe it'll be next on my list.

GhaleonQ

KTallguy said:
I was in a niche game shop and I went back twice to oogle the price tag. Apparently when she went back to buy it all of the employees were saying "this is a really rare game, are you sure???".

*laughs* Fantastic.

KTallguy said:
Yea that's my only worry, it does seem slow paced. I don't have a problem with that, but rather I just need to set aside a good amount of time to play. The introduction was quite intriguing, but I couldn't find a save point so I will probably have to see it again.

I'm a bit worried about doing a strict play diary but I will definitely at least post after game impressions. I may just keep bumping this thread if you don't care?

Please, do, if only because a separate topic may not get views. The 1st save's probably 45 minutes in. Like I said, I'm not urging you to exaggerate positively or negatively, but if you think differently from me, please post! I swear that I'm not in love with the game, but I genuinely think it's the best. Someone with different taste could honestly disagree, and I'd like to hear why.

If you want to break the game into fifths, I'd suggest THESE 5 VERY VAGUE REVELATIONS:
1/5: helping Granny quest
2/5: all areas unlocked
3/5: collecting all of the pieces
4/5: special after finishing side quests
5/5: Ending

I posted walkthrough sites earlier, so I strongly urge you to use them, if needed, to do 100% completion. Strongly.

KTallguy said:
I'm a huge Sakamoto fan so this is really cool. Maybe it'll be next on my list.

The soundtrack's definitely right in line with his solo work.

Smo21 said:
I remember this topic from many moons ago. Is there any kind of fan translation going for this?

The guys from before have stopped because they suck. Kimura, at least, might like to someday (it sounded sooner rather than later), but he wanted to do Little King's Story 2 1st. With Punchline out of business (and their website disappearing *sad face*) and Marvelous cutting back and not working on new properties until 2011, I'm not sure whether that's in the cards. Other people who know Skip from Chibi-Robo and Captain Rainbow are doing Giftpia instead.

KTallguy

Banned
Lol OK I just got a game over from looking through a viewfinder.
And I didn't realize it but the game saved me automatically... thank god.

Wow... why the hell did I die? I don't get it hahaha. Definitely shocked me.

Quick question: Are there any paths that are bad? Or anything that I should avoid doing?
I want to go for 100% but I don't want to look at a faq in the beginning. Will this plan screw me?

Update: Just keeled over and died because I was... tired? I think...

GhaleonQ

KTallguy said:
Lol OK I just got a game over from looking through a viewfinder.
And I didn't realize it but the game saved me automatically... thank god.

Wow... why the hell did I die? I don't get it hahaha. Definitely shocked me.

Quick question: Are there any paths that are bad? Or anything that I should avoid doing?
I want to go for 100% but I don't want to look at a faq in the beginning. Will this plan screw me?

Update: Just keeled over and died because I was... tired? I think...

Hm, I think there's only 1 thing that you can permanently miss. I'll just say it involves a house. You'll know when you get to it. You might want to make a note whenever you get Love Points (when the hearts swirl around and you catch them). There are 2 ways you get them, as they're listed in the manual. 1's by "catching" monsters. 1's by helping people. I don't think people are in your book, so just make a small note of the name and what you did. "Monsters" are listed once you SEE them, but you might want to make a note of which you've done, since I forgot if they're in there BEFORE you see them. If you want to pick up the pace a little bit, keep a spreadsheet or notebook divided into the different sections of the world (you have a map, which makes it easy) noting what you've done.

There are only incomplete and complete paths. They do affect the ending.

Did you read the manual? Do you have a circle in the upper left? If not, you didn't find a save haven in time.

If you did, well, you're supposed to feel very fragile. Make sure you know how to "read" the circle, and constantly watch it. You barely have to be concerned (except for 1 event that I hope you save for before trying) about your action limit later in the game, but you're supposed to be scared of this "RPG world." The action limit keeps you in the 1st area, so help people in your immediate vicinity. You don't have to worry about long-term goals right now, so just walk around the 1st and 2nd areas during different times of the day. Talk with people. Look for monsters. Don't overspend on food. Feel safe at Granny's house. It's supposed to be hard at the beginning.

So, basically, "see" as many animals as you can, so you can get hints in your book. Talk with as many people as you can, so that you get to know them and learn their habits. Once you build up a bit, you can explore area 2. Once you go a little bit further, you'll come upon an event that makes it much easier to venture further. That's when you'll have enough stamina to get a pretty wide radius.

Here's a list of people who are easy to help. I won't tell you what to do or when to go.
Granny, Chancellor, Wanda, Femi, Billy, generator, Momi, all of the animals in the castle and town areas

Corto

GhaleonQ said:
*is worried that he hates it* I hope you update by the weekend!

Today I gathered the time and will to read through your essay, and the best compliment I have for you is that I wish I hadn't. I don't even have a PSX, my PS3 is an european PAL and now I have this urge to experience this game and I don't have the means to. Damn you! Thank you though for sharing this...

P.S. And after some googlin' inspired by this thread I stumbled into HG101 that you seem to also visit and now I'm also a follower. So, thanks for that too! :D

GhaleonQ

Corto said:
Today I gathered the time and will to read through your essay, and the best compliment I have for you is that I wish I hadn't. I don't even have a PSX, my PS3 is an european PAL and now I have this urge to experience this game and I don't have the means to. Damn you! Thank you though for sharing this...

P.S. And after some googlin' inspired by this thread I stumbled into HG101 that you seem to also visit and now I'm also a follower. So, thanks for that too! :D

Oh, MAN. Honestly, Hardcore Gaming 101 might be the better discovery. It's the best video game website on the Internet, I think. I apologize for the 3 days you'll lose to going through it!

Also, thanks, sincerely. I wish that I had the time to re-edit it or repurpose it for a more focused essay instead of 1 that had to reveal and describe everything for the sake of getting its name out there, but I'm glad it's won some converts.

Corto

GhaleonQ said:
Oh, MAN. Honestly, Hardcore Gaming 101 might be the better discovery. It's the best video game website on the Internet, I think. I apologize for the 3 days you'll lose to going through it!

Also, thanks, sincerely. I wish that I had the time to re-edit it or repurpose it for a more focused essay instead of 1 that had to reveal and describe everything for the sake of getting its name out there, but I'm glad it's won some converts.

If you'll accept my advice, don't re-edit... And this from someone that didn't understood some of your more obscure references (to me). The enthusiasm and avidness to articulate the emotions and subtext of Moon that transpired in your post was what kept me going through it.

P.S. And now I'm checking Boku no natsuyasumi from HG101 blog just to scratch this hitch that Moon left on me. Will check if there are walkthroughs in english tomorrow.

KTallguy

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
*is worried that he hates it* I hope you update by the weekend!

Hahaha I've been busy!

*SPOILERS*

I played about 2-4 hours, and am really enjoying it.

The music is excellent! I need to find more discs, but the one disc I have is great!

I figured out the primary mechanic of the game (Soul Catch), which is pretty simple but is wrapped up with a pretty bow so it feels more meaningful than it should.

Once I figured out the mechanic for your heart power and how long you can spend in a day, I *got* the idea and understood that each day you have to make the most out of your limited time, and I see that many things are only accessible at night. People having schedules is great too.

I like how the hero is a complete asshole, I think it's setting me up for something though. When he takes off the helmet, will I see my mom's face, and wake up in a haze? :lol

I like the system of using name cards to learn things about other people. It's very smart.

I like how items work and how you can stock them on your person (?).

I wish I could run or something, but it would probably make it too easy...

Anyway I read the manual but I am trying my best not to read anything else about the game. I think that I'll just try to 100% it naturally, or play until I feel satisfied. That is, unless there are some crazily obscure things blocking me from the "real" ending...

So yea sorry for the lack of updates, real life etc etc. :)

GhaleonQ

Phew! No, no, take your time. It was just the initial impression that I wanted to know. I'm glad that you're leaning positive, even at this early stage. Enjoy.

There are a couple of complicated animal captures that are required for 100%, but those aren't story-related, if you feel like using a walkthrough to speed up the endgame. All of the love catches are easy if you've played any sort of adventure game. It's way easier than King's Quest VI or The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask, for instance, just slower. Oh, there IS an optional item that's easy to miss that lets you know who the hero is. If you don't know by the time you get to the endgame, use a walkthrough.

If you want to use VGMDb and my YouTube channel to cheat on Burrn's store so that you can get all of the music right away, feel free. You'll get to hear more of it in-game that way. http://www.youtube.com/user/SketchesOfMoondays#g/u

KTallguy

Banned
About the music, I think I'll be OK with finding it in game, and then enjoying the full soundtrack later. I find that music in games should be matched to the game, if I listen to the track without hearing it in the game first it kind of hurts the experience. Then again this game's music is like an MD player.

Anyway I'm pretty happy with my progress, I will take my time.
I kind of regret saying I'd post regular updates :lol
I just don't have enough free time.

But something about this game makes me want to keep coming back. :D

I'll try to keep posting.

eXistor

Pinko Marx said:
Aw damn, I was hoping this bump would have some translation news. ;\
You and me both, this is one game I'll probably never be able to experience properly. I still count my lucky stars we even got a proper Mother 3 translation, but this would be supremely awesome as well.

GhaleonQ

I'm just pissed that a team is doing either Giftpia or Captain Rainbow, but not the originating game (and the superior one). I plan on contacting all 3 of the main guys after they announce their next games (they all did 1 big one in 2009, so they should be at Tokyo Game Show).

KTallguy

Banned
Work is kicking my ass and my girlfriend is staying with me this week, so I've only been able to play one night. Honestly I haven't gotten much farther, but I have solved a bunch of the puzzles in the first area that opens up.

I'm wondering if it's a requirement that I solve all of the puzzles in a single area before moving on to the next? I finally leveled up enough to where I can move around freely at night, bit it looks like nothing else will open up unless I finish the first area. There are a few parts that are still locked, that weird rock in the bottom right corner, the monster in the upper middle area, and I am completely unsure of how to manipulate that one weird machine in the same area (I think it makes rainbows?).

As I said previously I really like the name card system, and I was able to learn a lot about the people in town using this system. I helped the bartender get her ring back.

The king asked me to talk to him at night when he goes back to his quarters, but when I go in there he is drawing in his sketchbook. I think I am either too early or too late.

Anyway not much to report other than I have barely scratched the surface. :)

GhaleonQ

KTallguy said:
Work is kicking my ass and my girlfriend is staying with me this week, so I've only been able to play one night. Honestly I haven't gotten much farther, but I have solved a bunch of the puzzles in the first area that opens up.

I'm wondering if it's a requirement that I solve all of the puzzles in a single area before moving on to the next? I finally leveled up enough to where I can move around freely at night, bit it looks like nothing else will open up unless I finish the first area. There are a few parts that are still locked, that weird rock in the bottom right corner, the monster in the upper middle area, and I am completely unsure of how to manipulate that one weird machine in the same area (I think it makes rainbows?).

As I said previously I really like the name card system, and I was able to learn a lot about the people in town using this system. I helped the bartender get her ring back.

The king asked me to talk to him at night when he goes back to his quarters, but when I go in there he is drawing in his sketchbook. I think I am either too early or too late.

Anyway not much to report other than I have barely scratched the surface. :)

Aw, maaaaan. Okay, it seems like you are genuinely busy. I promise to leave you alone, as much as it pains me.

If you've caught animals, you should have enough to stay awake for awhile. The rainbow puzzle is the big locked door, the only 1 until the end of the game. Ahem. A vague hint that's relevant to the rest of the game:
Remember what you did while playing the Moon video game. If you're stuck, that's likely the problem.

The king thing is all that you can do right now. You're just supposed to laugh at his crayon-drawn plan to save the world. Also, note what the plan actually is for later. Think of it like a graphic adventure game. If you don't seem to be flagging anything, just take a note of what you saw.

Gravijah said:
I hate this thread. :( Is anyone working on a translation yet?

1. I'm basically sustaining it out of spite at this point.

2. *points up*

GhaleonQ

Oh, I should add that I'm not ruining the game for you with hints. I'm only directing when you'd legitimately be "wasting your time," after you've gotten what you've needed. Part of the game is being confused in this peculiar world and having to spend time with people to get through it, even if you aren't sure that it'll pay dividends.

LiK said:
When i Look at the screens, i think Chrono Trigger x Braid

It's even more varied. As I mention in the behemoth, RPG parodies are in watercolor art, futuristic things are in bad Playstation 3-d, and, er, other "weird" stuff is in clay. The tone's more like the Earthbound series (Earthbound 3, mostly).

jesusraz

Did you catch the latest response I got on Twitter about Sakura Note's status in Europe? Ueda-san's still in discussions with Marvelous and RSG about making it happen. That doesn't mean it WILL, but the discussions have been going for several months now...and haven't been forgotten about.

GhaleonQ

KTallGuy, come back!

Snakeyes said:
I would read the OP if I wasn't afraid of being spoiled.

3 and 5 are the only parts that you have to skip, realistically. Thanks for noticing, though.

jesusraz said:
Did you catch the latest response I got on Twitter about Sakura Note's status in Europe? Ueda-san's still in discussions with Marvelous and RSG about making it happen. That doesn't mean it WILL, but the discussions have been going for several months now...and haven't been forgotten about.

No way! I understand that it's important to keep communication open simply so his studio isn't forgotten and relegated to Japan, but that's totally unexpected. Japanese graphic adventure games/arty RPGs are basically the least marketable things out there. Wow. Wow! You're invaluable. (By the way, is Buster Brothers: Magical Michael coming to the U.S.?)

Nasreddin said:
Please stop bumping this thread. It makes me sad. :(

We must not forget, so that such an atrocity never happens again.

GhaleonQ

Vanpool's hiring for what looks like a real game (as opposed to sound design or mobile phone games), so that's good news.

Boney

Banned
4zp9fvq

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
well, he's got his kleenex set up anyway.

Didn't vanpool make a second tingle game? why didn't anyone bring that shit to europe? I loved the first one :(

Top Bottom