• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It begins? Sony patents that break-apart controller

Uh guys? This actual product is not going to look anything like what is in the patents. They do this to be specifically obscure. Remember Nintendo's wiimote patents? Yeah.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Azelover said:
A sound wave detection? That seems like it would be a battery drain

All the detection magic is performed by the PSEye (visual and audio-wave signals) which is connected to and powered by the PS3 :).

Acosta

Dragona Akehi said:
Uh guys? This actual product is not going to look anything like what is in the patents. They do this to be specifically obscure. Remember Nintendo's wiimote patents? Yeah.

Don´t ruin their fun.

I think nintendos way of doing this is better. Have the camera on the controller and the leds on the tv .

Sonys way seems that a stationary camera will have a harder time keeping track of leds in motion then having the camera in motion and stationary leds.

Also this isnt anything diff then nintendo has tested with .

Nintendos wii mote is the way it is not because of tech but because of how cheap they can make it and still be usable.

Panajev2001a said:
All the detection magic is performed by the PSEye (visual and audio-wave signals) which is connected to and powered by the PS3 :).

But the sound is generated by the controller. That's what he meant.

Durante

Dragona Akehi said:
People (including me) have been saying that since the first page. But reality is much more boring than LOLZ DILDO.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dragona Akehi said:

From a totally different patent, but I wouldn't mind if it looked like these:

Second one:

9gd085.jpg

2rdapo6.jpg

The thumb-tracking area could be used for other input too..like stylus perhaps. Or could be multitouch. I just wonder how equivalent it would be to an analog stick, but I could understand why they'd use a flat tracking area here rather than a stick (i.e. for comfort when you have it flipped over and are using the side with buttons).

But overall, that design is quite interesting..and certainly aesthetically a lot more pleasing than the designs in the other patents. Gimme that merged with the position detecting functionality of the OP patent, please..

pcostabel

Gold Member
majortom1981 said:
I think nintendos way of doing this is better. Have the camera on the controller and the leds on the tv .

Sonys way seems that a stationary camera will have a harder time keeping track of leds in motion then having the camera in motion and stationary leds.

How is that? The two are completely equivalent. If anything, moving the camera means the background is going to change constantly and it makes harder to isolate the leds. But since the camera is only sensitive to infrared, that is not a problem.

J-Rzez

I hope there's an option to use the DS3/SA. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Sony comes up with it's inevitable competing controller. They have a nack about pushing tech.

Schrade

Dragona Akehi said:
Tsk tsk. Don't try to bring common sense to the anti-Sony fanboys. It's not compatible!

pcostabel said:
How is that? The two are completely equivalent. If anything, moving the camera means the background is going to change constantly and it makes harder to isolate the leds. But since the camera is only sensitive to infrared, that is not a problem.

They are not at all equivalent. Nintendo's way, you move your wrist 0.1 of a degree and it appears as a signfificant shift in the dots of the sensor bar picked up by the camera. Ever used a video camera and not held your hand steady? Sony's way you move your hand 0.1 degree and even a 50 megapixal 200fps camera would not to pick it up consistently. Sonys way might work for waggle but it is useless as a pointer. So no Conduit or Metroid Prime 3 type control.

saunderez

road2serfdom said:
They are not at all equivalent. Nintendo's way, you move your wrist 0.1 of a degree and it appears as a signfificant shift in the dots of the sensor bar picked up by the camera. Ever used a video camera and not held your hand steady? Sony's way you move your hand 0.1 degree and even a 50 megapixal 200fps camera would not to pick it up consistently. Sonys way might work for waggle but it is useless as a pointer. So no Conduit or Metroid Prime 3 type control.
Who says they can't use it in conjunction with gyroscopic technology to use as a pointer. I'm using a gyroscopic mouse with my PC right now and it doesn't any LEDs or cameras. It doesn't even need to know where the monitor is.

saunderez said:
Who says they can't use it in conjunction with gyroscopic technology to use as a pointer. I'm using a gyroscopic mouse with my PC right now and it doesn't any LEDs or cameras. It doesn't even need to know where the monitor is.
Camera in the hand is so much better. Imagine a video camera in your hand with a dot on a white wall. Twist your hand a tiny bit and the dot the camera 'sees' moves dramatically across its virtual screen. Now imagine a camera that can be 200fps and cheap because it is not a real color camera like the eyetoy but only needs to "see" two infared dots. So now the camera sees magnification of you tiny movements at 200fps and sends info over Bluetooth at 200-300 fps. That is the kind of precise control that I don't think a gyroscope could match, certainly not an affordable one.

saunderez

road2serfdom said:
That is the kind of precise control that I don't think a gyroscope could match, certainly not an affordable one.
I beg to differ. Gyroscopic mouses shit all over the Wiimote for accuracy as a pointer. I use the Logitech MX Air with my 42" LCD and I can consistently hit hyperlinks, window trimmings etc. The only issue they have is they lack orientation, which is something could be fixed with a complementary IR system.

If gyroscopes were so expensive Nintendo wouldn't be able to offer MotionPlus.

laserbeam

Banned
Oh sony. always trying to be like the others and finding some way to be totally fucking stupid.

A device like that is not gonna bring in the casuals. Its insta-fail right away

Anyone remember back when we knew the Revolution was going to have some sort of strange controller, but no idea what it would be like, and the drawings that ensued? :lol

I can't believe Figure 21 is "and if the player executes a perfect bicycle kick with PS3motes strapped to his legs..."

Burai

shitonmychest57
herod said:
I guess we'll find out in about 15 years or so. If waggle has the legs to last that long.

Do you really believe 15 years to be a fair period of time to judge how successful an idea is? That's three console generations. By your "logic", the NES was a flop and a fad because the PS2 wasn't doing 8-bit 2D sprite-based games 15 years later.

Somnid said:
us20080261693ki-028.jpg

This one speaks for itself.
Who comes up with this shit? Yes I absolutely have enough space in the living room, and balls of steel to perform something like this. Also my floor is made of grass so I won't feel much pain if I fall on it.

I know I know, it's just a patent, but still, even getting this idea...

herod

Burai said:
Do you really believe 15 years to be a fair period of time to judge how successful an idea is? That's three console generations. By your "logic", the NES was a flop and a fad because the PS2 wasn't doing 8-bit 2D sprite-based games 15 years later.

huh, I thought we were talking about controllers.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Somnid said:
us20080261693ki-028.jpg

This one speaks for itself.

Isn't that overkill? He's right by the goal and the goalie's not anywhere in sight. Unless he IS the goalie and the player just slipped while playing.

Billen

Banned
I laughed so hard at this thread that I cried. From joy that is. Then I realized that Sony were serious. Then I cried again, this time from sadness.

newschool

Description from PS3 Informer:

"Players are urged to face the screen, either by themselves or with friends, as they grasp their wands firmly in one hand. With gentle or vigorous motions, players then wave their wands back and forth to elicit a response from the game. A camera is trained on the action, and records the movement of the balls and wands as they are waved back and forth in front of the screen. Occasionally, players will be urged to snap their wands and balls together, to create a pair, which then has greater functionality."

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom