• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2012)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Been reading some Clash of Kings lately at work. 150~ pages in, getting excited to read more. Also, I'm starting The Hunger Games for a bit since CoK can't fit in my bag during my trip to acen.

Also, I need some help finding a certain book. It's this horror book about these explorers getting trapped in a frozen wasteland.

Dan Simmons - The Terror ?

Wiktor

Started reading:

Dexter_Is_Delicious_Cover.jpg

I know that as always the plot will degenerate to complete mess halfway through the book, but I'm reading those solely for the awesome Dexter's own narration. Plus the return of one old character was very welcome :)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I'm trying to go back and read some classics I've missed out on... How readable is The Count of Monte Cristo today? From how I've heard it described it seems right up my alley, but its quite an older novel too...

So I'm trying to go back and read some classics I've missed out on... How readable is The Count of Monte Cristo today? From how I've heard it described it seems right up my alley, but its quite an older novel too...

Finished that last month. I had similar concerns but I found it to be a fantastic read, and it holds up extremely well today. The prose is perfect for the story it tells and the story never gets weighed down because the exposition (of which there is a lot) unravels quite sweetly.

Wiktor

Finished reading
deadhouse-gates.jpg

Great book. All of the plot threads were engaging and interesting, especially the story of Mappo and Icarium. Like the first book, there was still a bunch of confusing references and events that went over my head, but it was still incredibly enjoyable. On to the next book, Memories of Ice. I know I have to keep reading the series or else when I try to come back to it I'll completely forget what the hell was going on, it's what happened with the Wheel of Time series

I hated Gardens of the Moon because of how confusing it was. Deadhouse Gates had the Chain of Dogs arc spread through the whole novel and it helped a lot, because even if everything else was getting confusing that arc still kept me reading.

I stopped halfway through Memories of Ice though. Precisely because of the reason you keep reading it. it was many years ago and I realized I will forget most of the stuff in the months between releases. Now that the whole series is out I will start from the start again.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Going to finish RUBICON over my lunch break. Loved it, despite having the same idiot-like problems I usually have with books that have tons of characters/names to keep track of. I'm going to listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History 8-hour podcast on the fall of the roman republic after this.

Next up: Murakami's NORWEGIAN WOOD. Been wanting to read this for almost a couple years now.

omgkitty

I just finished The Hunger Games. I really enjoyed it, but I found the actual games part of the story to be less interesting than the build up to it. It's a good story, but Suzanne Collins' writing style is not great and I feel like there are some serious cop outs in the story. It's easy to read, but the amount of grammatical / spelling errors in the book makes it very frustrating to think how many people have read this and it has yet to be fixed. I'm going to see the movie tonight so hopefully that will be good. Can't decide if I want to move on to Catching Fire or A Wild Sheep Chase next. I wan't to know what happens next, but I've heard the series goes down from here and I'm invested now. I am feeling like I need some more Murakami now though.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Finished Ghost Story by Jim Butcher in two days.

Moving onto

Spin%281stEd%29.jpg

to mix things up genre wise.

I looooooove this novel. Which is funny, because at the time of reading it I was sorta 'eh' about it, but the more time that's passed since, the more I've come to appreciate it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't usually read books, but this month I've read over 500 pages of "Thinking in Java." One of the best books on the subject that I've read.

TCRS

Banned
Finished The Thousandfold Thought by Scott Bakker. Not sure what to make of the end. Th very last chapter was great, but the ending does leave me unsatisfied. Well, it's not the ending, the story continues in the "Aspect-Emperor", but TTT was the last part of this trilogy. I was hoping for more conclusions and explanations. I'm still not sure what the Thousandfold Thought is...

Overall this has been a great story though. The story is kind of generic but the way Bakker tells it makes it very unique. A must read for any fantasy fan imo.

Dresden

Started Persian Fire by Tom Holland, and I'm enjoying it a ton. Love the time period and the focus he gave to the Persians in the beginning was appreciated.

Finished The Thousandfold Thought by Scott Bakker. Not sure what to make of the end. Th very last chapter was great, but the ending does leave me unsatisfied. Well, it's not the ending, the story continues in the "Aspect-Emperor", but TTT was the last part of this trilogy. I was hoping for more conclusions and explanations. I'm still not sure what the Thousandfold Thought is...

Overall this has been a great story though. The story is kind of generic but the way Bakker tells it makes it very unique. A must read for any fantasy fan imo.

I liked the first three books, but the next set (Judging Eye, etc) kicks it up into the next level.

He never does tone down the whole 'women are whores and oh here's another rape scene' thing, though. Otherwise the new(er) books are lighter on the philosobabble junk, the writing is slightly less clunky (not that it's any good still), and shit is epic as hell.

thomaser

Just finished The Tin Drum by Günther Grass. I'll have to let it sink in for a while, but it might be in my top 5 books. It's really remarkably good, and is exactly the kind of book I hope to find every time I open a new novel. Wonderful!

Also just finished Dead Right by Peter Robinson. A perfectly ok crime novel, dealing with topics like racism and immigration in a good way.

Next, one of these - a selection of books that have stood in my bookshelf for years:

Ryosuke Akutagawa: Rashomon and 17 other stories
Hussain Al-Haddawy: Sindbad and other stories from the Arabian Nights
Samuel Beckett: The Complete Dramatic Works
William Burroughs: Naked Lunch
Leonardo DaVinci: The Complete Works (mostly pictures)
Don DeLillo: Underworld
George Elliot: Middlemarch
Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Love in the Time of Cholera
Hermann Hesse: The Glass Bead Game
James Joyce: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Cormac McCarthy: Blood Meridian
David Mitchell: Cloud Atlas
Vladimir Nabokov: Lolita
Audrey Niffenegger: The Time Traveler's Wife
Aleksander Pushkin: Collected Stories
Oscar Wilde: The Complete Works

The hardest part of reading is choosing which book to read next. Anyone want to do the choosing for me?

Dresden

Next, one of these - a selection of books that have stood in my bookshelf for years:

The hardest part of reading is choosing which book to read next. Anyone want to do the choosing for me?

Those are the ones I've read . . . Blood Meridian would be my choice. Really fond of Lolita as well. Cloud Atlas was good, but somewhat gimmicky, sort of like a half-response to the Calvino novel. Cholera and the Joyce are fine novels. I read Underworld out of a sense of duty in my freshman year and don't remember much about it.

thomaser

Thanks! I had a little hunch that Blood Meridian would come up :) It's been mentioned a lot on Neogaf lately. I'll think about it - it'll most likely be either that or Love in the Time of Cholera.

Koroviev

Just finished The Tin Drum by Günther Grass. I'll have to let it sink in for a while, but it might be in my top 5 books. It's really remarkably good, and is exactly the kind of book I hope to find every time I open a new novel. Wonderful!

Also just finished Dead Right by Peter Robinson. A perfectly ok crime novel, dealing with topics like racism and immigration in a good way.

Ryosuke Akutagawa: Rashomon and 17 other stories
Hussain Al-Haddawy: Sindbad and other stories from the Arabian Nights
Samuel Beckett: The Complete Dramatic Works
William Burroughs: Naked Lunch
Leonardo DaVinci: The Complete Works (mostly pictures)
George Elliot: Middlemarch
Hermann Hesse: The Glass Bead Game
Audrey Niffenegger: The Time Traveler's Wife
Aleksander Pushkin: Collected Stories
Oscar Wilde: The Complete Works

My vote goes to Lolita :)

Ashes

Banned
Finished that... now on to:

200px-Hunger_games.jpg

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Edit: oh no... It's first person present tense... :(
Thankfully changed to past tense...:p

Finished that... Now on to:

Ender's_game_cover_ISBN_0312932081.jpg

Ender's Game (1985) is a science fiction novel by American author Orson Scott Card.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
j6W9l.jpg

I'm going to start out with this book tomorrow. I usually read short stories, but I figured I'd give this book a try.

Jintor

life-of-pi2.jpg

Finished it a day ago. Fascinating read, though I wasn't entirely on board (heh) with the religion and faith stuff so it mostly just flew over my head.

Now reading

the-portable-atheist.jpg

So far, kind of "Eh"... but then again, Douglas Adams always was my favourite atheist writer.

Reading:
sBsng.jpg

Only about 50 pages in and this is some creepy shit. Slow and detail-oriented but I think that buildup makes the eventual creepy-ass moments even creepier.

Creepy.

hom3land

I just picked up:
unholy_night.jpg

It's from the same guy who wrote Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, which I didn't read but I'm interested in Biblical fiction and wanted to give it a go.

Have you read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood friend by Christopher Moore? Great book.

Top Bottom