• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Desktop Coffee Lake CPUs to be available Oct 5th

StereoVsn

5a4c.png

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/european-core-i7-8700k-coffee-lake-prices-spotted-in-germany.html

I seriously doubt that you've got more than +10% of performance from such an upgrade.
If true then US pricing should be $399. That's pretty good for 8700k. Actual game benches will be interesting to watch. I also wonder about OC capabilities after 7700k issues.

taoofjord

For 1440p, 144hz gaming which is the one to go for? Currently have a i5-4590k. The 8700k is pricier than I’d like but perhaps it’s not worth going for anything less?

Renekton

Total noob question: when is a CPU running at its base clock vs. its boost clock?

Since I have no interest in overclocking, I'm thinking that 8700 looks pretty good, with the only major defecit compared to the 8700K seemingly being its base clock.
If you see his pic, there is turbo 6C and turbo 1C. Based on that, you can conclude that turbo boost depends on how many cores are being utilized at once. Also depends on how hot the CPU currently is and, for mobile, whether it is running on battery.

Sometimes there is one simple motherboard BIOS setting where you can force all CPU cores to run at the boost clock (though I heard the motherboard may auto-use more voltage than if you do it manually).

Iorv3th

Total noob question: when is a CPU running at its base clock vs. its boost clock?

Since I have no interest in overclocking, I'm thinking that 8700 looks pretty good, with the only major defecit compared to the 8700K seemingly being its base clock.

Just depends on how cpu intensive the programs you are running are. It will use baseclock unless it needs more. Help save energy and lower temperatures when you don't need boost clock. If youj were gaming or something it would be in boost mode.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
If you see his pic, there is turbo 6C and turbo 1C. Based on that, you can conclude that turbo boost depends on how many cores are being utilized at once. Also depends on how hot the CPU currently is and, for mobile, whether it is running on battery.

Sometimes there is one simple motherboard BIOS setting where you can force all CPU cores to run at the boost clock (though I heard the motherboard may auto-use more voltage than if you do it manually).

Just depends on how cpu intensive the programs you are running are. It will use baseclock unless it needs more. Help save energy and lower temperatures when you don't need boost clock. If youj were gaming or something it would be in boost mode.

Thanks for your responses!

ezodagrom

5820K, 6800K and 7800X already exist, those should be decent indicators on how 8700K would perform.
Not really, 5820K and 6800K had lower clocks and lack the IPC improvements that the Skylake architecture got, while the 7800X has a completely different cache setup and a different type of architecture that is focused on more cores (mesh instead of ring bus, while I don't know much about these, seems like ring bus performs better than mesh with less cores, while mesh performs better with more?).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for the input too - unless the ~six months is very accurate or even more than reality, I would probably want to upgrade before then. Also, I thought I had more than 2GB in this 680 but just went and checked and yeah it's the 2GB version... depressing. My Steam backlog is ridiculous because I just stick with FF14 these days, wanting to save everything for 'better hardware'
of course, not as ridiculous as yours :p

Vega landing where most people expected it to, Nvidia having the "upper-enthusiast" market to itself with the 1080 Ti and Navi not being slated to hit until 2019 has created an interesting situation. Nvidia has no pressing reason to deliver consumer Volta any time soon, so there's a rather big question mark over when exactly it'll happen. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1080 Ti remains the cream of the non-prosumer crop until May or perhaps even later still.

dr_rus

If true then US pricing should be $399. That's pretty good for 8700k. Actual game benches will be interesting to watch. I also wonder about OC capabilities after 7700k issues.
I expect US prices to be lower, if only because they are without sales tax usually. Generally, I don't expect 8700K to be more expensive than 7800X which is ~$380.

All core boost is active all the time unless there is some specific workload which would push the CPU to its base clocks. Such workload can be AVX512 code for example - we have to wait for the CPUs to know for sure. But rest assured it's safe to say that these will likely be running on what is specified as "6C Turbo" most of the time in gaming.

Durante

Not really, 5820K and 6800K had lower clocks and lack the IPC improvements that the Skylake architecture got, while the 7800X has a completely different cache setup and a different type of architecture that is focused on more cores (mesh instead of ring bus, while I don't know much about these, seems like ring bus performs better than mesh with less cores, while mesh performs better with more?).
The mesh/ring difference is more complicated than that, and depends on the workload. But for games ring topologies have generally proven better so far.

hoserx

I suppose it's time to retire my i7 3820 X79 rig finally. At 4.5ghz it's really been a great processor...but I think the 8700k is what I need to take the next step.

Vega landing where most people expected it to, Nvidia having the "upper-enthusiast" market to itself with the 1080 Ti and Navi not being slated to hit until 2019 has created an interesting situation. Nvidia has no pressing reason to deliver consumer Volta any time soon, so there's a rather big question mark over when exactly it'll happen. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1080 Ti remains the cream of the non-prosumer crop until May or perhaps even later still.

I guess the logical point for them is "when Pascal sales start flagging and we want to encourage more upgrades".

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I suppose it's time to retire my i7 3820 X79 rig finally. At 4.5ghz it's really been a great processor...but I think the 8700k is what I need to take the next step.

I've been rocking a 3820 for a long while now, too. Great CPU, and my upgrade from the original titan to a 1080 last year helped a lot. But it just struggles, now, with more demanding titles. Unfortunately, my OC stability has gotten worse and worse as time has gone on - from 4.6 to 4.4 to 4 to now running at 3.8 :-/

Yeah I'm thinking of upgrading my 5820K to 8700K. It's time to go back to mainstream platform for me now that it will finally have 6 cores. I want better single thread performance and lower TDP. Power usage of overclocked X99 platform is ridiculous.

Papacheeks

Banned
pretty good? WHAT? That's not good at all. It's expensive.

Yup.

If it was a 8 CORE/ 16 THREAD for 400+ with high clocks I would say that's a good deal for performance king. But when Ryzen 6 core 12 thread costs $240-249 and performs well even on budget boards I would say your paying for the number that says i7.

I will await and see how these perform in multithreaded and single until I point a finger.

Papacheeks

Banned
Is this legit or BS?

index.php

If so not good if true.

Guru3d

This was actually at some event where they had benching on display. SO..........

Update: Videocardz.com is reporting it too with better pics of actual PC screen showing 8700k in cpu listing.

ezodagrom

Yup.

If it was a 8 CORE/ 16 THREAD for 400+ with high clocks I would say that's a good deal for performance king. But when Ryzen 6 core 12 thread costs $240-249 and performs well even on budget boards I would say your paying for the number that says i7.

I will await and see how these perform in multithreaded and single until I point a finger.
If someone wants better multi-threading performance while still having decent single-threading performance, Ryzen is the best pick.
If someone wants better single-threading performance while still having decent multi-threading performance, Coffee Lake is gonna be the best pick.

All that matters is that there's options for different needs, personally the 8700K will fit my needs the best.

Is this legit or BS?

-snip-

If so not good if true.
I rather wait for proper reviews/benchmarks. Always take leaks with a grain of salt.

Papacheeks

Banned
If someone wants better multi-threading performance while still having decent single-threading performance, Ryzen is the best pick.
If someone wants better single-threading performance while still having decent multi-threading performance, Coffee Lake is gonna be the best pick.

All that matters is that there's options for different needs, personally the 8700K will fit my needs the best.

I rather wait for proper reviews/benchmarks. Always take leaks with a grain of salt.

Not according to my previous post. Single threaded only, and not by a large enough margin to warrant the extra $ price tag.

hoserx

I've been rocking a 3820 for a long while now, too. Great CPU, and my upgrade from the original titan to a 1080 last year helped a lot. But it just struggles, now, with more demanding titles. Unfortunately, my OC stability has gotten worse and worse as time has gone on - from 4.6 to 4.4 to 4 to now running at 3.8 :-/

Yeah I mean I guess I don't necessarily "feel" that I'm losing anything but I know that there are probably situations where I could be getting better performance. I have a 1080, too, and I don't have issues playing anything.....but being closer to that 165hz refresh rate is always a good thing......and it's just time. I can't believe how old my x79 rig is. What a value it was.

Microcenter has great deals on the 6850k + X99 motherboard combos.....$100 off any board. Looking at them is what got my interest piqued in doing another upgrade. I don't think moving to that platform, even with a "free" motherboard would make sense, but it's tempting. Must wait another month :p

Papacheeks

Banned
Since I guess you missed it:

Taking into consideration that Intel's 4c/8t starting with the 4770K do better than Ryzen's 4c/8t CPUs, I find those 8700K results hard to believe.

Hard to believe a 4770k will beat out a ryzen R5 1600 let alone a R7 1700. Maybe in single threaded without the Ryzen having access to 3200mhz memory.

When you add in the memory upgrade that's when Ryzen starts to really see differences.

Is this legit or BS?

index.php

If so not good if true.

Guru3d

This was actually at some event where they had benching on display. SO..........

Well that benchmark seems about right. I'm confident that AMD & Zen will keep the lead in terms of multithreaded workloads but Intel will again most likely destroy AMD & Zen when it comes to per core and gaming performance.

ezodagrom

Hard to believe a 4770k will beat out a ryzen R5 1600 let alone a R7 1700. Maybe in single threaded without the Ryzen having access to 3200mhz memory.

When you add in the memory upgrade that's when Ryzen starts to really see differences.
I said that starting with the 4770K, Intel's 4c/8t CPUs do better in multithreading than Ryzen's 4c/8t CPUs, that is, Ryzen 5 1500X and 1400.
And so I find it hard to believe that Intel's higher clocked 6c/12t (8700K) CPU won't do better than a lower clocked Ryzen 6c/12t CPU (1600X). There could be something wrong with the system used in that leak?
It's better to just wait for proper benchmarks.

Papacheeks

Banned
I said that starting with the 4770K, Intel's 4c/8t CPUs do better in multithreading than Ryzen's 4c/8t CPUs, that is, Ryzen 5 1500X and 1400.
And so I find it hard to believe that Intel's higher clocked 6c/12t (8700K) CPU won't do better than a lower clocked Ryzen 6c/12t CPU (1600X).

Depends if they are using same old Hyper threading tech.

Infinity Fabric is legit.

Cidd

I'm set on grabbing the i7 8700K but if that i5 8600K has the same gaming performance I might get that instead. 6 cores + 6 threads is more than enough for me.

daveo42

Banned
Sounds like October is the right time for me to finally upgrade to a new system. It's been almost 8 years at this point.

DSN2K

AMD really did catch Intel with their pants down....fascinating to watch but I'm quite happy with my 4790K and I suspect any game in the next 2 years will be as well.

From what I could see, this testing was done at the base 3.7GHz whereas the ones from the leaks a little while ago were running at 4.3GHz (the 6 core turbo boost speed).

Papacheeks

Banned
AMD really did catch Intel with their pants down....fascinating to watch but I'm quite happy with my 4790K and I suspect any game in the next 2 years will be as well.

Hopefully Intel might start lowering prices. And offer better value when it comes to building a intel rig all together.

Renekton

7800X mesh is a detriment to games but synthetics/rendering should be fairly similar. Skylake's IPC impovement over Haswell/Broadwell isn't big (~5-7%?).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The average 5820k/5930k/5960x can overclock to 4.5Ghz. However, I believe the IPC advantage from Skylake is about ~15% (5-7% from Broadwell and 8-9% same to skylake).

Mrbob

The leak basically reconfirms the 8700k is a 7700k with two more cores. I dont know if any narrative has changed. If your focus is productivity with some gaming go with Ryzen. If your focus is best gaming performance then Intel 8000 series is likely still the best option. If you want the best price to performance for gaming it will probably stay the Ryzen 1600.

That's the narrative for now. Might change next year if games start utilizing more cores and threads.

I still maintain that the i3 8350k could be the real star here.

The new Celeron?

I'd like to see some site benchmark it against some of the old 4 core HEDT chips (i. e. i7 9xx, 3820, 4820K). Remember how up until approx. 2010 the final Pentium 4 Extreme Edition was still used in benchmarks?

dr_rus

The mesh/ring difference is more complicated than that, and depends on the workload. But for games ring topologies have generally proven better so far.
It has less to do with topology and more with the fact that old ring bus provides lower latencies for a small number of cores - which is what seems to be important for gaming. I'm sure that Intel will improve their mesh interconnect in the future as there aren't a lot of interconnect options once you've gone above 10 cores.

Is this legit or BS?

index.php

If so not good if true.

Guru3d

Update: Videocardz.com is reporting it too with better pics of actual PC screen showing 8700k in cpu listing.

Cinebench R15 is one of the benchmarks which tend to show Ryzen in a very good light. It's in no way indicative of gaming performance however.

Papacheeks

Banned
It has less to do with topology and more with the fact that old ring bus provides lower latencies for a small number of cores - which is what seems to be important for gaming. I'm sure that Intel will improve their mesh interconnect in the future as there aren't a lot of interconnect options once you've gone above 10 cores.

Cinebench R15 is one of the benchmarks which tend to show Ryzen in a very good light. It's in no way indicative of gaming performance however.

It is indicative to multithreaded performance. Which if your buying a 6 core 12 thread for $400+ I would hope multithreaded performance would be able to beat a $200+ CPU.

BasicMath

Is this legit or BS?

index.php

If so not good if true.

Guru3d

Looks fine for Cinebench. It's not going to shine there. The cores really help there. There's just way too many CPUs with more than 6c right now.

Bring down that hype. Bring down those expectations. Expect a slightly upgraded version of Intel Skylake-X​ 6-core equivalent. That's all it is.

BasicMath

ryanshrout said:
Early CineBench number for the 8700K are wrong, just FYI.
Yah, really can't say more. Just don't like a bad score result making the news rounds.

https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/907280680207503361
Someone else in there is saying that the Cinebench numbers are from an unboosted 8700k.

That's pretty crazy since at that point (+10-15%) it's looking to beat the 5960X. You really can't ask for more. That was like the $1000 CPU to get just a year ago. And it still sells for that.

ezodagrom

Someone else in there is saying that the Cinebench numbers are from an unboosted 8700k.

That's pretty crazy since at that point (+10-15%) it's looking to beat the 5960X. You really can't ask for more. That was like the $1000 CPU to get just a year ago. And it still sells for that.
Saw on Anandtech forums that there's another leak from a couple weeks ago that puts the 8700K at 1410 MT score, but we'll still have to wait for proper reviews/benchmarks to see if that's accurate at all.

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/28803237

Renekton

The average 5820k/5930k/5960x can overclock to 4.5Ghz. However, I believe the IPC advantage from Skylake is about ~15% (5-7% from Broadwell and 8-9% same to skylake).
Broadwell has no architectural change over Haswell iinm, so whatever IPC gain we saw back then could be attributed to the L4 cache.

By far the most interesting thing about these is whether they will use a ring bus or a mesh interconnect.

If the former, I expect the 8700k to be the best gaming CPU in pretty much everything by a decent margin.

I was ready to believe you on this and then I read your username and then I was doubly ready.

Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom