• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

AcridMeat

Banned
Some really good initial reviews for this. Think I may have to pick it up, will go nicely on Switch with Picross next week I think.

Here's a spoiler free image running in handheld mode. The colours really pop off the Switch's screen.
DKMF4w5VwAA2xLa.jpg:large

Wow that looks great, they're really nailing the art style! I played Dig and Heist on the Vita, but I'm switching platforms for this. It's no OLED, but I still love how colourful games look on the Switch!

Jb

Really loving the game so far. Looks gorgeous, what I've heard of the soundtrack is great and the tutorializing is fairly elegant.

knkng

Just downloaded 30 minutes ago, but wont be able to play it for about another 12 hours, lol.

Super excited for this one!

derFeef

This one has designed levels compared to the generated ones of the first game, right?
I did not get too deep into the first one, but it kinda felt like a mix of Spelunky and Rogue Galaxy of some kind?

Fliesen

This one has designed levels compared to the generated ones of the first game, right?
I did not get too deep into the first one, but it kinda felt like a mix of Spelunky and Rogue Galaxy of some kind?

Well, it was only the 'overworld' that was (somewhat) procedurally generated, right?
The 'mini dungeons' / 'challenge rooms' were always designed.

ryushe

Aww man, didn't think this would've been a midnight release. I'd a bought my Switch to work if I knew. :(

Edit:
Can this be purchased on Nintendo's website? I found it but I don't see the option to buy.

Put in about half an hour so far and yeah, I'm really liking it. The game looks fantastic and has the same charm as the original. Really can't wait to have some time to get right into it.

I have a feeling it's going to be the perfect on the go and a great break from tough sessions of FE:poR.

Ravelle

Man, the game looks sharp and vibrant, even in handheld mode.

Made a beginning this morning and can't wait to pick it up again this evening.

jrcbandit

It looks so nice in handheld mode that I played it that way even though the TV is next to me lol. Time to go play it in bed although I should be sleeping!

Haunted

Excellent game so far, I don't know why people are saying this is much better than the original, I feel it's very similar.

I'm having a great time with it while I wait for Thimbleweed Park to drop later today.

JonnyKong

Excellent game so far, I don't know why people are saying this is much better than the original, I feel it's very similar.

I'm having a great time with it while I wait for Thimbleweed Park to drop later today.

I read a review this morning that says SD2 is very similar to the first in its opening hour, but opens up to something more wonderful after that.

Goddamn the
hookshot
is fun.

Incredibly satisfying finding secrets and discovering areas before the game leads you there itself.

Thraktor

This looks SO GOOD! Image & Form did the thing.

Dropping 3DS as the base, and the 400x240 resolution with it, has really allowed them to go nuts with the visuals on Dig 2. Really looking forward to playing it myself on the Switch's screen.

JJShadow

I'll be picking this up as soon as I come back home from work, never played the original but I'm excited after all those glowing reviews

vern

Game is awesome, put a couple hours into it tonight. And either I forgot how to play video games or it's much harder than the original. Already died a few times.

maxcriden

Just got a PR email with some teensy tiny spoilers regarding 100% completion.

Now 15 months of efforts are out in the open, and everything about the game has been laid bare.

Well, ALMOST everything...

One of the things we promised ourselves when we set out to make SWD2 was to include a big reward at the very end of the game. A chunk of bonus gameplay that justified getting to the core of what SWD2 is all about: exploration.

We thought it was a fun to surprise completionists this way, but now we realize that players deserve to know that completing the game 100% unlocks post-game content. Of course we'll let players discover for themselves WHAT that is... suffice it to say that it is as surprising as it is challenging!

That is very cool to see.

Well, that icon is super ugly, but I’m buying the regardless, hell I’ll still buy if the icon is a pile of shit drawn in ms paint.

Edit: just bought the game, devs please change the icon, it’s especially bad on dark theme.

kizmah

I just spent over 2 hours with the game and boy is it amazing. It's impossible to put down. I just want to keep digging.

Just make sure to turn of the marker on the map so you're not pointed in the right direction. It's so much more satisfying to go digging by yourself.

Mr. F

Banned
I just spent over 2 hours with the game and boy is it amazing. It's impossible to put down. I just want to keep digging.

Just make sure to turn of the marker on the map so you're not pointed in the right direction. It's so much more satisfying to go digging by yourself.

Good call, I might do the same

This is a great sequel. It feels very similar to the the previous game at first, but quickly starts adding new mechanics and ideas. I'm really impressed so far, with about two hours of playtime.

Almost done with my review of the game, but.. I wanted to check in with the other people who have been reviewing the game.

Okay.
I beat the game and I have 100% in every area, all 42 artifacts, and the "Coin of Heaven & Hell." But does anyone have any clue on how to access the area it mentions? It's clue is "Close to the Peak of Solitude. A howling desert embrace. Take to the skies to seal your fate. In a strange and wonderful place." I've pretty much jumped and floated off over everything, but I suppose I have to go into the sandstorm? I dunno. Something doesn't seem to be activating.

Top Bottom