• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 3 is now 10 years old

Microsoft nailed the marketing for this game got me so pumped when it came out. I really miss the Bungie Halo days use to play through all of them in co-op with my buddy on legendary also that ending warthog run was epic espesially with 4 people playing.

I bought an Xbox 360 in 2009. First thing I got with it? The Halo 3 + Fable 2 bundle. My partner from back then got addicted to Fable 2, I was stuck on Halo 3. For months. I did play a lot of great stuff in the process: Forza Motorsport 3, Arkham Asylum, WET, but I'd eventually always go back to the intense Halo 3 battles with friends or alone. By far the highlight in the Halo series for me, so much fun, albeit it didn't age too well. It just feels really slow, which is odd because back in the day I came from PC gaming playing Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and so on, and Halo 3 didn't feel "slow", just different. After Halo 4 and 5 it all just feels floaty, even if the map designs and everything are still some of the best ones of the series. Too bad we never got an actual Anniversary edition for this, guess the recent backwards compatibility will do. Going to have to reinstall it.

Had some of the best times of my life playing with friends on Xbox Live with this game. At it’s peak we would get on and have more friends playing than we could fit in a 16 person party. I feel like that doesn’t happen any more.

I remember my 360 broke the day before it's release. I had to wait for it's coffin to arrive and once I sent it back I had a month-long wait while all my friends played Halo 3. By the time I got it back, everyone had moved on to Call of Duty:Modern Warfare haha

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 3 not getting the Anniversary treatment and only a dumb shitty forge playlist in Halo 5 is the just another misstep in 343's recordbook.

The game made the 360 just alone worth it. I din't think I have played a game more than Halo 3.. I mean I played it over 5 accounts.

So far no explanation by 343, Phil Spencer or any fan had good reasons why Halo3A is not a thing.

Woorloog

Banned
The game was flawed at places for sure, but the core mechanics were extremely solid. Simple gameplay that allowed for reasonable depth and required skill. The mix of vehicular and infantry combat is unmatched. And the Forge and Theater were brilliant ancillary features.

There's nothing like Halo 3 anymore... Hell, nothing ever was. I figure i'll keep away from online shooters until there is something that manages to create the magic Halo 3 had, no shooter i've tried post-Halo 3 has kept me playing, don't see much point in keeping trying.

Wish Bungie (with Reach) and 343i hadn't soured me on Halo franchise... otherwise i might fire up Halo 3 and play some.

holy shit, games with gold has been running for four years?

It was announced at E3 2013. It was already running with Fable 2 (I think?) being free for a few days when the announcement arrived, except nobody knew why it was free for most people. Halo 3 was such a logical step that they pulled it off in one of the first months, but yeah, it would be nice if they gave it for free again - although they just gave all DLCs for Xbox 360 Halo games for free so maybe that's the end of the gift?

jelly

Halo 3 not getting the Anniversary treatment and only a dumb shitty forge playlist in Halo 5 is the just another misstep in 343's recordbook.

The game made the 360 just alone worth it. I din't think I have played a game more than Halo 3.. I mean I played it over 5 accounts.

So far no explanation by 343, Phil Spencer or any fan had good reasons why Halo3A is not a thing.

The only option was fixing Halo MCC, giving it far more attention, playlists, history insight, community involvement and the long shot, updating Halo 3 within MCC to Halo 3A. That they haven't done any of that is quite sad. A Halo 5 playlist is a nice thought but really, MCC should be getting the love from Microsoft and in a broader sense, Halo 3 should be getting a big party across 360, MCC and Halo 5. Microsoft should be celebrating a big Xbox game. It's as if they aren't really into Halo.

Zombine

Banned
Hands down, one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. Halo 3 was a milestone in my young adulthood, and I can always look back on where I was as a person when it released. Hours upon hours of fun with friends and family that I don't think I'll ever be able to replicate.

Södy

Halo 5 playlist is a nice thought but really, MCC should be getting the love from Microsoft and in a broader sense, Halo 3 should be getting a big party across 360, MCC and Halo 5. Microsoft should be celebrating a big Xbox game. It's as if they aren't really into Halo.

Yeah, also, they should atleast remade a few maps for Halo 5 with the original Art Style of Halo 3. Something, Halo 5 is really lacking.

Maps like Guardian, High Ground or The Pit.

Akai__

Halo is just an other franchise now for them. It doesn't get the acknowledgement that it deserves by 343i or the higher ups. The downfall absolutely started with 343i taking over. We were promised Consolidation Playlist "Patches" and Legacy Support for Halo 3 and Halo Reach, but as soon as Halo 4 released, MS seemingly cut the budget for old Halo games and just didn't want 343i to spend any ressources on the old games. The same shit has happened to Halo MCC. We were PROMISED that a dedicated team would work on the MCC, even after Halo 5 releases. Literally nothing, except putting playlist in order of their popularity (which could have been done by an intern or even the janitor), happened. Plus, they told people at 343i to shut up about the MCC, instead of giving people the answers that they deserve to hear.

The sad truth is, if you expected a MCC fix, a MCC port or even a H3A, you were fooling yourself. But that doesn't mean that I disagree with people. Those things should have absolutely happened. If MS had any goodwill left for Halo they would have done it, as they absolutely have the ressources to pull off all of those. Don't give me the "it doesn't make sense from a business perspective" excuse, because it would absolutely make sense in the long-run. Why they chose to not do it, is a complete different question, especially with the Xbox One X arround the corner. As Madness said in the other thread. Ain't "nobody" coming back for Halo 5 (with a 100GB install) just because they have a Forge playlist or a 4K patch.

When I first got Halo 3, we had a really slow and unreliable internet connection. I could never finish an online game without getting kicked out. Everytime you got kicked out, you lost a point off your level which allowed you to have a negative level. I ended up with a rank of -135 if I remember correctly.

We eventually got a better internet connection that allowed me to finish games. I made it a goal to get back to 0. It took me at least 2 months, but I managed to climb my way back to Neutral rank and then up to a respectable rank. Probably my greatest gaming accomplishment ever.

I loved this game so much.

I cant believe its been 10 years. Wow. I think Halo 3 was the first OMG HYPE game i bought fro the 360. I mean there had been great games i was excited about before it, Dead Rising, Oblivion, but Halo 3 blew them all away with its hype. Its probably my most replayed campaign, and definitely my most played Halo game, ever. I finished that campaign easily 10 times, in co-op and SP. I love it. I absolutely adore it. The music, the gamepaly, and yes even the story i all found pretty captivating at the time. Its one of the only games i ever got 1000gs in, including all the vidmaster achievements and everything.
It really was a different time then. The 360 was THE console to have, i still lived at home and had more disposable income that ill probably ever have again, i just remember taking a few days off work, and playing Halo non stop. It was such an exciting time, meeting so many people on XBL, playing multiplayer, man...good times. Cant believe it was so long ago.

FyreWulff

It was a robust game.

It was also sort of neat how it's evolution is permanently recorded in the game's content, like the layered stone when looking at a cliffside.

Forge went from being Bungie's quick spawn/weapons modifier (launch maps) to a full on map maker (Sandbox) within the same game.

Equipment was released, then slowly modified and pared down. Launch vanilla maps have stuff like Radar Jammer and Flare on them, while later DLC maps have only 3 pieces of equipment at most.

The game debuted with four (FOUR) grenade types, matchmaking only ever had two per map to maintain the "switch between 2 grenades" of H1/H2 and Flame Grenades were essentially MIA outside of campaign.

FyreWulff

Also, it's interesting how Halo 3 was shaped by RAM limitations. They didn't have enough memory to allow every weapon on every map, so some weapons could not be spawned with.

It's interesting to think how much different a Carbine-start Halo 3 would have turned out versus a BR-start Halo 3.

It was also a bit funny that the game was about giving the Brutes their spotlight. But you couldn't spawn with the new Brute sandbox weapons.

Not even "halo staples" were safe - you couldn't spawn with the Plasma Rifle. So this resulted in Heretic (Midship) being SMG starts.

Dual wielding ended up being more or less a vestigial organ it was carrying around from Halo 2. Largely in part due to dualing being more aggressively balanced, but also since you didn't spawn with a dualable weapon, the opportunity to do so came up a lot less.

Woorloog

Banned
Flame Grenades were essentially MIA outside of campaign.

Yeah, well, it was a Lag Grenade really.
I mean, i remember how the goddamn Flamethrower on Construct caused lag for everyone when someone used it. The Flame Bombs would've been worse probably.

FyreWulff

Yeah, well, it was a Lag Grenade really.
I mean, i remember how the goddamn Flamethrower on Construct caused lag for everyone when someone used it. The Flame Bombs would've been worse probably.

Yep, that's the specific reason they weren't in matchmaking. It's just a bit funny that the UI is built to help you handle having 4 grenades at once and matchmaking only ever had two (frag + either sticky or brute, but never both)

I have so many feelings from this game. I used to write 3s and September 25th in tables back as a teen in fanboy anticpation of the game.

It was worth the wait. I don't know if we can ever get a game with an impact as big as halo 3 again in the console space, especially on NA. The gaming industry has changed so much in these past 10 years

The peak of the franchise, this was what kept me paying $50 a year for a Gold subscription. Haven't put as much time into MP gaming since this game ( and well I guess Gears 3).

FyreWulff

Another tidbit about Halo 3 is a cross-section of a transition in games.

The shipping game just had the combo of skill level + XP = your rank. This was pretty much Halo 2 with a little extra slathered on top.

Then CoD and WoW really hitting it's stride made XP-based leveling more popular. While you did keep earning XP in Halo 3, at some point you would stall out or max out and the ranking system pretty much became irrelevant to you after a few months. These other games constantly had a barometer to tell you the relative investment levels of players.

So in the big Title Update, Halo 3 added Playlist Ranks, which were purely XP based, and made them the rank displayed in the lobby. Not only did this address the issue of people wanting more regular rank indicator, this was actually a pretty good way of eyeballing someone's familiarity with the game. Even if someone was a rank 20 in a playlist, if they were a playlist Captain I knew they would know how to play. If they had a low playlist rank, then I knew it was time to get ready to be a bit more patient with them. It became fun to chase playlist ranks - I eventually got to Playlist General in Big Team Battle.

It was, functionally, like you never stopped ranking. General was 500xp, and you only got 1xp per win in regular playlists, so getting 500xp in every single playlist was basically impossible for 99% of the population legitimately.

Party Chat becoming a thing was also something that landed during Halo 3's life. The game shipped with in-game voice chat, but you had to Push To Talk for any game where the team size was > 4 players, for bandwidth reasons. We lived with it because at the time, you could only voice chat with one other person. Way later they notched it up to 6 people, so you pretty much only had to PTT in BTB.

There was a lot of proxy shit talking and abuse (that I won't miss and don't hold up as a bonus of proxy chat) but also you could talk to randoms that wanted to talk and overhear other teams talking to each other. Then Party chat releases. Obviously BTB teams preferred party chat because 1) it sounded WAY better 2) no more Push To Talk. You could also talk to friends while they played other games, allowing clans and friends to chat without all having to be in the same game.

This absolutely killed off social chatting in Halo 3 in it's twilight years - you never heard anyone anymore, not even overhearing other teams. Hell, since Halo 3 wasn't "party chat aware", you could talk in party chat while the game still let you hear the other teams over proximity chat over your speakers, so it was like Gamesharking your strategy. It also somewhat had a promixity result of reducing Halo 3 population because to talk to people, you no longer had to play Halo 3 together. I could be playing Halo 3 while someone else was playing UNO and another was playing Chessmaster. The sort of "playing via social momentum" ended for a lot of games when party chat came out.

Also, Halo 3 single handedly killed off in-game TS ranks in most of the gaming industry. Halo 3 had a GIANT black market fueled by visible and easily influenceable skill ranks, even driving me to write this obituary for 1-50 on HBO a long time ago. It negatively impacted the game for even non cheaters due to constant smurf accounts and cheating and boosting going on. After we had lived for years with Halo 2 where people barely played Halo 2 instead of "chase us in the skybox", Halo 3 fixed the in-game cheat issues but not the social ones.

It was so bad that Gears 2 even patched out 1-50 mid-release and went to a pure XP based visual rank system. Obviously all these games used TS under the hood, but I don't think Call of Duty was the main reason here, but just the severe extracurricular market and the negative impact of such on Halo 3 was the canary that made developers and communities want to get away from it. Know why a lot of console games require you to play a minimum amount of games before they even start showing you a rank? Halo 3. Know why Smash Brothers Brawl and U didn't have visible ranks? Literally due to Halo 3 - the developers stated they didn't want people to try and cheat to get a rank.

It was a learning experience for both Bungie and the entire industry.

Also, looks like I'm doing Mega Post Anniversary in here due to this.. lol.

JTripper

Jesus, 10 years. Remember exactly what I was doing and where I was a decade ago. Slept over at a friends place and just played the campaign all night. Watched that G4 coverage on the 24th, went to that midnight release with 3 other friends and walked out with the legendary edition. Still have the helmet on my top shelf in my bedroom.

Was a sophomore in high school and played Halo 3 with the same friends until graduation. One of my fondest high school memories. Ten years later and I'm still on that Bungie train with Destiny 2 haha.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Fabulous game. Maybe my all-time favourite FPS (though I do personally prefer Reach's story). One of the only games where I actually felt moved to spend a considerable amount of time in the multiplayer modes (which were so much fun), after finishing up the campaign. I even spent ages in the theatre, going over certain levels and taking the perfect screenshots of epic moments. Fabulous, wonderful game. Good times were had back then.

My backwards compatible digital copy downloaded at the weekend. Think I might jump back in this week, just for old time's sake.

Please don't do this to me.

It makes me furious how Halo was compared to now.

That music man, art style , That Chief.

Still gives me goosebumps.

It's still hands down my favorite gaming trailer of all time. The way it had that closing shot of (what we now know as) the Ark Portal opening up, sparked a sense of mystery and wonder.

The trailer is just perfect, and the vidoc Bungie did highlighting that was all in-engine was mind-blowing for me back then.

Which reminds me, I really miss Bungie's vidoc delivery system. I felt that+bungie net articles were a big part of what made me like Halo 3 a lot

Detective

It's still hands down my favorite gaming trailer of all time. The way it had that closing shot of (what we now know as) the Ark Portal opening up, sparked a sense of mystery and wonder.

The trailer is just perfect, and the vidoc Bungie did highlighting that was all in-engine was mind-blowing for me back then.

Which reminds me, I really miss Bungie's vidoc delivery system. I felt that+bungie net articles were a big part of what made me like Halo 3 a lot

I wanna hold one to that memory. That Halo. That feeling. That Chief who his action spoke for him.
343 just doesn't get it.
That's why this Halo will be remembered many years forward.

Amazing multiplayer, many sleepless nights with my good buddies. It's a shame how far off they've fallen. I remember watching TV and a news channel was covering how huge the midnight launch for the game was going to be.

ChazGW7

One of the greatest games of all time and a defining pillar of my mid teenage years. Both single player and multiplayer tuned to perfection, endless hours of fun.

The 343 titles have gotten a bad rep but I personally have enjoyed them quite a lot. They don't compare to Halo 3, but regardless of that I have enjoyed them for what they are. Sometimes I think people let nostalgia get the better of them and they don't enjoy the games at face value, but instead compare it to those earlier Halo memories that can not be re-created no matter what. Halo 1-3 were special times of an era I don't think can ever be captured again. It sits in a class of time alongside vanilla WoW, CS 1.6, COD4, HL:2 imo.

KageMaru

One of the most awesome features was the theater mode. It was impressive how the game saved data of your playthrough and you could play it back in real time, even allowing you to move the camera around. It's super disappointing that 343 never brought this feature back.

Sordid

Halo 3 is still my favourite game ever. Played it solidly until after Reach released. If they gave 3 the anniversary treatment and improved the netcode etc it'd be my main multiplayer game even now. MCC just isn't good enough :(

It's amazing how Halo's stock has fallen since 343 took over, from one of gaming's biggest franchises to just another shooter. 343 proclaiming "We hired people who hated Halo", change for the sake of change, chasing other shooters rather than improving Halo itself, blunder after blunder. Halo 5 is an improvement but it still isn't the same, it launched so bare. Less content and features than Halo 3 despite launching 8 years later.

Thanks for making me feel old, OP.

Crazy to think that the fight ended ten years ago. In hindsight, the fact it ended a cliffhanger that both opened it up for future sequels but also perfectly resolved all its plotlines is great compared to what came post-Reach for the series.

Halo 3 was the first game I actively played online and to this day its still my favorite.
Playing big team social with all my friends in high school was borderline magical. Cruising around in warthogs, basically carrying teams to victory... good times.

Sec0nd

There were many small issues that really hampered the online gameplay for extremely high skill games. Wonky BR spread, weird sluggish movement, etc. But those were online noticeable if you played for crazy amounts of hours and compare it to the GOAT that is Halo 2.

Other than that it was the best game of the previous gen for sure.

ChazGW7

They simply have to fix the MCC and bring it to PC. Its a pipe dream at this point but it would make me the happiest person on earth.

Top Bottom