• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

Lister

Banned
I hate having to choose froma limited set of companions and missing out on reactions and dialoge form whoever I had to leave behind.

However, I think 5 is a good compromise. The 2 of MAss Effect was way too limiting, and I was fine with 6, but if they've got some way of making 5 seem more interesting in combat, I'm all for it.

Man, 2008. Seems so long from now.

I'm seriously considering putting in some money. Never done it before, partly because I never had that much money before and partly because I haven't really liked the idea of crowdfunding (personally that is - in general I've always thought it's good). But now I haven't got any problems with money whatsoever, and I loved PoE and I know I'll play the second one for dozens of hours too, and I really wanna see it be as good as it can, so I guess I might as well give some money. Not going crazy though, probably just the $45 tier.

I think 5 man parties sounds like a good thing. With 6 there really was just so many skills and spells to use all the time, but Tyranny's 4 felt too simple (though there were other factors to it too).

Really excited to see them continue the story too, instead of placing it far away in the future.

I hate having to choose froma limited set of companions and missing out on reactions and dialoge form whoever I had to leave behind.

It serves the dual purpose of adding to replayability (I completely skipped Grieving Mother, Hirvais & Pallegina my first playthrough and I loved them to bits) and letting you choose whichever main character you please, and being able to build your party around for that.

For instance in Tyranny, if you didn't take Barik you pretty much had to play a tank, play at a lower difficulty, or have a much more annoying time.

Lister

Banned
It serves the dual purpose of adding to replayability (I completely skipped Grieving Mother, Hirvais & Pallegina my first playthrough and I loved them to bits) and letting you choose whichever main character you please, and being able to build your party around for that.

For instance in Tyranny, if you didn't take Barik you pretty much had to play a tank, play at a lower difficulty, or have a much more annoying time.

Oh I understand the reasons why... I still just hate missing out on dialogue ;)

Indeed I'm happy when subsequent playthroughs have new things to show me thanks to the mechanic.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
A (pretty poor TBH) Facebook ad for the crowdfunding page seems to confirm some designs for new companions:

UyCEiPQ.jpg

Anno

I wonder if they'll add more portrait-level rewards. Those went like instantly, surely there has to be some more demand out there at a high $ tier.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
A (pretty poor TBH) Facebook ad for the crowdfunding page seems to confirm some designs for new companions:

UyCEiPQ.jpg

Hmmm Orlan with a blue beard, looking awfully lot like Blackbeard. Cause he's a pirate, get it.

Really hope they fix up the Aumaua a lot, their models looked atrocious in PoE, while their portraits were just alright.

I'm kind of bummed that they're reusing the Watcher again. A clean break from that mess would have been preferable to a direct sequel.

not a fan of Mask of the Betrayer, I take it?

also, off the top of my head, the only Obsidian game that really fits that bill is New Vegas, whose world is self-contained and limited enough that i had no problem with being able to decide the fate of the region.

I've probably given off too much of a negative impression in expressing my frustration. I'm not trying to argue that these kind of macro issues ruin Obsidian games, far from it. They make really awesome games and I enjoy the majority of my time spent with them. The micro or moment-to-moment stories/plot they create are consistently engrossing and I love diving into the lore of their worlds.

I just hate the tendency for the story/character to end up so consistently important to the lore/history. I want to be making decisions shaped by the world my character lives in, not the other way around. Mostly it's my disappointment from coming off of Tyranny where the larger story became such a predictable and boring generic power fantasy. Yes, all narratives have to grow as they approach the climax, but I'm just not interested in determining the future course of the world so directly.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I've probably given off too much of a negative impression in expressing my frustration. I'm not trying to argue that these kind of macro issues ruin Obsidian games, far from it. They make really awesome games and I enjoy the majority of my time spent with them. The micro or moment-to-moment stories/plot they create are consistently engrossing and I love diving into the lore of their worlds.

I just hate the tendency for the story/character to end up so consistently important to the lore/history. I want to be making decisions shaped by the world my character lives in, not the other way around. Mostly it's my disappointment from coming off of Tyranny where the larger story became such a predictable and boring generic power fantasy. Yes, all narratives have to grow as they approach the climax, but I'm just not interested in determining the future course of the world so directly.

Plenty of their games arent like that. And a vast majority of RPG do end up like you say. Obsidian certainly isnt the problem here. Tyranny was an underfunded side project build on the remains of a cancelled one.

jtb

Banned
how does Unity perform on mobile? as someone who was not totally enthused with PoE, porting it to iOS and android would be a great way to give it a second life, particularly in the lead up to the sequel. It would certainly give me a reason to give it another play through.

(I know Obsidian's working on a stroeshing budget and their tech expertise is abysmal, but, hey... I can dream, right?)

Lister

Banned
how does Unity perform on mobile? as someone who was not totally enthused with PoE, porting it to iOS and android would be a great way to give it a second life, particularly in the lead up to the sequel. It would certainly give me a reason to give it another play through.

(I know Obsidian's working on a stroeshing budget and their tech expertise is abysmal, but, hey... I can dream, right?)

I wouldn't count on this happening any time soon. Pillars is rather heavy on memory and hard drive footprint is 14 gigs.

The only game similar to this one that was ported was BG2 and that was 2 gigs. It might work, but it would need a ton of UI effort and some redesign, not to mention a lot of optimization. Maybe in a couple of tablet generations.

Megauap

Backed as soon as it went live this afternoon. I'm thinking of investing some money too (as I wanted to invest in another campaign but Fig didn't let me because I am not an accreditated investor).

jtb

Banned
I wouldn't count on this happening any time soon. Pillars is rather heavy on memory and hard drive footprint is 14 gigs.

The only game similar to this one that was ported was BG2 and that was 2 gigs. It might work, but it would need a ton of UI effort and some redesign, not to mention a lot of optimization. Maybe in a couple of tablet generations.

disappointing, but makes sense. I guess something like XCOM gave me hope, but I can see why something completely turn-based would be less resource intensive.

Prismo

Neo Member
Glad to see they aren't doing the backer made npcs this go round. It really bugged me that the game was just riddled with the apparently rare godlikes. I'm in.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
In for $30!

I hope they design this one from the ground up with controller support like they did with Numerea.

And also I hope they fix the loading times. They were so bad in Pillars 1 that I gave up playing after about 25 hours. The city was unplayable with all the buildings you had to enter and exit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Seems to be racking up some decent money in less than half a day. I might wait it out till near the end of the funding cycle just to see some more info on the game. Probably won't go as crazy as I did on games like Torment Tides of Numenara since I'm not quite as flush with cash but will probably drop some cash.

Lister

Banned
In for $30!

I hope they design this one from the ground up with controller support like they did with Numerea.

And also I hope they fix the loading times. They were so bad in Pillars 1 that I gave up playing after about 25 hours. The city was unplayable with all the buildings you had to enter and exit.

Uhm.. no, it's RTWP. There will be no gamepad support - well, there is always Steam Controller support ;) And yes, they are streaming in areas, so no loading times when entering houses/caves, etc.

EDIT: Come to think of it ever since Steam did the whole native support for all gamepads, you could technically play it wiht one, but it would probably be pretty much unplayable without a touchpad like the Steam controller.

kmag

Oh, must've missed the part about combat then, only heard about the improved AI. Probably paid too much attention trying to visually see if there's anything made better.
Also good to hear about the expansions.

Hopefully PoE2 really is a much better experience than PoE as I really like this type of games (Baldur's Gates being my favorites).

By the second expansion the encounters were Icewind Dale 2 tier.

Backed for $24 since apparently I got a $5 discount for recieving fig newsletters via E-mail. Ok I won't complain. That's dirt cheap for a game this length.

Instro

So I'm sure its been explained a million times before, but the "Fig funds" are a combo of what is pledged as investment and Fig's own funds correct?

So I'm sure its been explained a million times before, but are the "Fig funds" are a combo of what is pledged as investment and Fig's own funds correct?

Yes. If you click on the little chart icon next to the pledge meter on the page, it will show you the funding split.

kswiston

The $5 coupon got me to back this. $24 is a good price. I backed the original for the $20 tier and havent played it as much as I should have. I was getting a lot of bugs near launch and then forgot about it. I should go back and try the 2.0 version.

Durante

Well, I'm obviously backing it, the only thing to decide is which tier I'll choose.
Going physical without going for the CE seems meaningless so it's either the collector's edition or the basic digital tier.

Lime

Well, I'm obviously backing it, the only thing to decide is which tier I'll choose.
Going physical without going for the CE seems meaningless so it's either the collector's edition or the basic digital tier.

That's where I was at, but $25 in shipping plus $150 is too much for my blood.

Arulan

It looks like that Angler-fish has the symbol for Eothas on its head. Perhaps that's how Eothas is represented in this culture? The light in the dark abyss of the sea.

To which Anthony Davis replied:

Anthony Davis said:
Haven't seen this one myself either. Also looks kind of like a fertility idol too.

Ah, you're right. Light and Fertility. Eothas.

Durante

Of course, the AI improvements are the most enticing, but I love that we are getting some of the graphical things they had to ditch in PoE1 due to time/workflow constraints.

I thought PoE1 looked great, but this looks amazing!

mkpxu01w9u3yob9sjq.gif

pkxcplywwi4uyjyskj.gif

Also good to hear about the interior streaming.

Taruranto

Hopefully this will be the BG2 of the PoE "series".

Continue the story you began as the Watcher of Caed Nua in Pillars of Eternity, and see how your decisions and actions in the Dyrwood persist in Deadfire.

Meh. I would have preferred if they just stuck with one continuity.

I'm hoping for 10+ companions like BG2, party composition being super-limited was pretty lame in PoE.

Overall, I can't say I'm terribly excited, especially after Tyranny, but I'll wait and see. I'm just not throwing money at this.

Awww Yiiiisss.

And $5 off coupon for backing the first, cool.

edit: Still need to finish Pillars 1 but I loved what I've played so far. Had to take a break after spending 70 hours in just the first 2 chapters I think :lol

Top Bottom