• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will my Pokemon cards ever be worth something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Nintendo World edition of Pichu. I think it was only given out during the grand opening party at Nintendo World.

That was a fun day. Also ended up getting a free deck of Pokemon cards at the end. They were prizes, but since it was the end of the day, they were literally handing them out.

It looks like this:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2n07iuh.jpg

Prior to that, as I've said in the Yu-gi-oh thread on Gaming side, as a kid, I had no money to buy these things. Plus, by the time I did display somewhat of an interest, I have already moved on to a school where they were banned.

SaintZ

rarpjs.jpg

I have the Ancient Mew Card! It was given out during the Revelation of Lugia premiere I think. I also bought the Trading Card Game for the GBC and it had a 'special' Meowth card in it or something.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pandaman said:
its possible.
a3ed82.jpg

had a standard print run like any other magic the gathering rare. your average run of the mill copy will cost you around $1500. some mint alpha ediiton copies have been sold for an excess of $10,000.

It's rare that I get a chance to mention this, but thanks. My nick/handle/online name comes from this. I just used the word panther for black. I went by JetLotus for about 3 minutes. This started in '01.

OP, when you say you have the whole "first edition" set, do you mean you actually have the complete 1st Edition set of the original base set? Do all of the cards in that set have the "Edition 1" stamp like the Charizard card in Typhonsentra's post #40. If so, that's the one set that's most likely to increase in value, over time. Though, it's currently worth a lot less than it was during its peak. Cheapest set currently on eBay is listing for $400, and that's with cards stated to only be in "Good/Very Good" condition.

It really will come down to nostalgia, though, since it hasn't continued to have a super strong player following like Magic the Gathering to keep its value up. Nobody is buying 1st Ed Charizards for tournament play. Though it's a CCG, I think Pokemon CCG cards values will follow in the footsteps of Garbage Pail Kids, rather than MTG.

Sooo ... how much are you looking to get rid of them for? :D

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
typhonsentra said:

Yep. Worth about . . 60 dollars. :lol First edition and all!

If you buy cards today and get a LV. X (Like that Heatran LV. X! Which I have . . .) you can get a pretty penny for it on ebay probably. Mew Ex's and Charizard Ex's were going pretty big when they first came out. It's really only new boosters that do.

If you want to make money off of pokemon cards at all, you have to get todays boosters and understand what decks everyone plays.

A year ago I was a "Pokemon Professor". Meaning I could judge official nintendo sanctioned pokemon card tournaments. Never did, but I did pass the ridiculous 40 question test on the official website. Hardest test of my life.

EDIT:

And on a last note, I'm pretty sure that the last sets have been announced in Japan. Meaning no more new ones in the future.

bigosc2k

Banned
Dude if the whole collection is 1st editions, then it should be worth some money since they are first editions.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So how is Black Lotus the most powerful card in the game?

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
PantherLotus said:
It's rare that I get a chance to mention this, but thanks. My nick/handle/online name comes from this. I just used the word panther for black. I went by JetLotus for about 3 minutes. This started in '01.

Do you have the card?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SaintZ said:
rarpjs.jpg

I have the Ancient Mew Card! It was given out during the Revelation of Lugia premiere I think. I also bought the Trading Card Game for the GBC and it had a 'special' Meowth card in it or something.
I have a SEALED Ancient Mew card from the movie.

My goal is to one day be able to sell it for the current going price of a movie, preferable the 40th pokemon movie which randomly has a theatrical release, with some fancy 3D to boot and such :lol

Those of you who are laughing don't really understand camp and the value that seemingly worthless objects can hold to the obsessed.

There might not be a market for them yet but there will be. There almost always is.

Red

I remember buying one single pack of Yugioh cards and getting one card in there that was all fucked up and multicolored on the front side, with the back side perfectly intact. Obviously a misprint, totally unusable, but I figured I'd hold onto it for kicks. Not sure what ever happened to it, but I wonder how much it would be worth to a collector.

Eh, googling it makes it look like it was a leftover from a production running test. No big loss, then.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dresden said:
"this card makes any deck better"
I'd trade a lotus for a mox or a recall any day of the week in my illusions of grandeur deck.

it is ridiculously cruel in my trolling deck though. nothing beats a first turn swamp + lotus + chains of mephistopheles + anvil of bogardan on your first turn. especially if your second turn involves a hymn to torach. [and your third involves a necropotence]

Maximus.

pokemon is serious business. I love that Snorlax video, and that kid in the booster pack video proves my point. :lol

Why would you do that? said:
Isn't she... like, 12?
Come to think of it, that card might technically be illegal in some countries. You can totally see the pointy part of her.

Look at the card. She has tits and ass. It's pretty much the same as saying how Yoko Ritona is 14 years old. aka Bullshit!

I'd say Misty is 15 in the card. Especially considering how intimate she's getting with the Staryu.

It really makes you think, but there haven't been any reports of human-pokemon relationships have there?

The obvious one is Gardevoir, and I guess Gallade.. for the women. But Gallade would probably mutilate them in the process since he appears to have knives for arms! Unless you're into that shit.
I still think it would be best to go at it with a psychic. It would possibly mean no contact. But I guess that's what's so great about Gallade.

hmm.

Agent Ghost

aka MAJIKdR46oN
Fidelis Hodie
A year ago I was a "Pokemon Professor". Meaning I could judge official nintendo sanctioned pokemon card tournaments. Never did, but I did pass the ridiculous 40 question test on the official website. Hardest test of my life.

Give this fucker a tag LOL

Pokemon Professor

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Pokemon cards were the shit back in the day, haters be damned. I remember I so badly wanted a first edition holo Charizard, and I found some guy selling it in the mall for $150 :lol

The Pokemon card game for Gameboy was kickass too, I spent a lot of hours playing that game and kicking the gym leaders asses.

SaintZ said:
rarpjs.jpg

I remember this, we had like three of these card because of me and my brothers all having a ticket for that movie.

Jtwo said:
So how is Black Lotus the most powerful card in the game?

It isnt? There was a long debate about this on a MTG forum I used to go a few years ago, but basically it was about which of the Power 9 cards is the most powerful and the argument went down to Black Lotus vs Ancestral Recall. Both sides had some pretty good arguments w/ fantasy scenarios and whatnot, but at the end of the day, both sides couldnt come to agreement.

Granted, I cant give out examples since I quitted Magic after High School and cant remember much =/

As for the OP: Sorry bud, you invested on the wrong TCG :lol

I remember when my nephews and their friends were so obsessed with all things pokemon 10 years ago, buying hundreds of dollars worth of cards (I was playing MTG at the time and they were trying to bring me to the dark side lulz) and when the poke fad died, Yu-Gi-Oh came along and here we go again buying hundreds of dollars worth of cards and trying to lure me again. YGO fad dies and now they have boxes of PKM/YGO cards that arent worth anywhere near their original prices while I still have boxes of my MTG cards that have constantly remained in prices after all these years.

Granted I dont plan on making a fortune with my cards, but I just find it funny how many TCG's have come and gone poised to "kill Magic"(as they told me before) but they've decreased in popularity while MTG has remained constant after all these years.

I dont intend to troll, just speaking from a MTG players perspective during the TCG wars lol

Cheerilee

Dabookerman said:
It really makes you think, but there haven't been any reports of human-pokemon relationships have there?
Ash's mom enslaved a Mr Mime without ever catching it in a Pokeball.

And I got the impression that Ash's Chikorita desperately wanted to have sex with Ash.

That's why you collect sports cards, you idiots. At least those can appreciate in value rather quickly. Kobe Bryant rookie cards for the win! And don't get me started on Michael Jordan Game Used Jersey Cards and numbered cards...

George Claw M.D. said:
OP, when you say you have the whole "first edition" set, do you mean you actually have the complete 1st Edition set of the original base set? Do all of the cards in that set have the "Edition 1" stamp like the Charizard card in Typhonsentra's post #40. If so, that's the one set that's most likely to increase in value, over time. Though, it's currently worth a lot less than it was during its peak. Cheapest set currently on eBay is listing for $400, and that's with cards stated to only be in "Good/Very Good" condition.

It really will come down to nostalgia, though, since it hasn't continued to have a super strong player following like Magic the Gathering to keep its value up. Nobody is buying 1st Ed Charizards for tournament play. Though it's a CCG, I think Pokemon CCG cards values will follow in the footsteps of Garbage Pail Kids, rather than MTG.

Sooo ... how much are you looking to get rid of them for? :D

Yep every single card I have is first edition, all of the holo's etc. etc.

jenov4

Here's my experience, I went to my first E3 back in 1999 and the Nintendo Booth were handing out these Pikachu cards like candy. I was 23 at the time and didn't play Pokemon, so I had no idea on the value of these cards.

Anyways, I grabbed a few, stuffed it into my swag bag and didn't think anything about them.

I get back home from the trip and noticed these cards were selling for like $100+ on eBay. I won't forget the eBay descriptions *Pikachu E3 RED CHEEKS EDITION - RARE!!*

Hahaha, WTF?!!?!? I managed to sell off a whole bunch and paid for half my trip. It was great.

louis89

Okay, reading this thread has made me rethink the value some of them could have... but fuck, I'm like 95% sure my mum threw them out, god dammit. :(

Gameboy415

SaintZ said:
rarpjs.jpg

I've got one of these too!

But I got the original, Japanese version with the spelling error! (Nintendo is mispelled)
Also came with a fancy movie pamphlet. :)

I kinda want one of those Misty cards...lol

SaintZ said:
rarpjs.jpg

Damn, I payed £5 for one of these cards from a shop when I was 10. I did have the GBC card game, can't remember whether it had a card in with it or not, but it's one of the best games I own the system - after the real Pokemon games and Zelda.

I remember with the Mew card, if you are able to translate the cards symbols it says something about him having the "Power of God". Found that pretty edgy back then.

Roto13

People try to convince themselves that just because something is collectible, it will be worth something someday. How much do beanie babies go for these days. :p

OMG Aero

I was actually looking through my old stuff a few days ago and came across my Pokemon cards. I had loads of shinies but the only first edition ones I have are Giovanni's Machamp and Unown-A. I did have Ancient Mew, a normal shiny Mew and a Japanese shiny Lugia I thought was cool too though. I also had a Dark Raichu card that was numbered 83 out of 82 for some reason, are misprints worth anything?

It's such a shame knowing that the shiny Charizard I spent so much time trying to get isn't worth the money I thought it would be as a kid.
But then again I would probably never sell it anyway, it has too much sentimental value.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
OMG Aero said:
I was actually looking through my old stuff a few days ago and came across my Pokemon cards. I had loads of shinies but the only first edition ones I have are Giovanni's Machamp and Unown-A. I did have Ancient Mew, a normal shiny Mew and a Japanese shiny Lugia I thought was cool too though.

It's such a shame knowing that the shiny Charizard I spent so much time trying to get isn't worth the money I thought it would be as a kid.
But then again I would probably never sell it anyway, it has too much sentimental value.

I remember once where I traded away my Blastiose at the YMCA to some other snot nose punk who bullied me into it.

I cried on the way home. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think I played Pokemon for maybe two or three months right after it came out. Won a couple tournaments at a local hobby shop, then promptly stopped playing. :lol I guess I was just far more into Magic.

It's a bit sad to hear that they're evidently killing off the CCG in Japan though. I figured it'd always be around in some form. Is the CCG market in Japan dying off?

Atreides

fu3lfr3nzy said:
It isnt? There was a long debate about this on a MTG forum I used to go a few years ago, but basically it was about which of the Power 9 cards is the most powerful and the argument went down to Black Lotus vs Ancestral Recall. Both sides had some pretty good arguments w/ fantasy scenarios and whatnot, but at the end of the day, both sides couldnt come to agreement.

But none of the Power 9 cards is the best card in magic. This one is:

14y30jq.jpg

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I think I could make a pretty big fortune, I've got some original cards signed by the creator of Pokemon himself... or at least, I will, as soon as I figure out how to spell his name.

baultista

Banned
I'm the only nerd in my elementary school that didn't like Pokemon cards.

Once for my friend's birthday he set up a Pokemon Card Tournament... each room in his house was a different "arena" so to speak.

We did what would be an expansion draft in sports (pretty intuitive for young kids), where each person would name their untouchable Pokemon, and I would be able to draft my hand from the unprotected ones.

I drafted poorly and intentionally lost so that I could play videogames and eat cake while they were playing their stupid game.

Atreides said:
But none of the Power 9 cards is the best card in magic. This one is:

14y30jq.jpg

<3 Yawgmoth's Will. I took advantage of that card alot back in the day :lol

The Urza Block had so many broken cards, I loved it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom