• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

Gusto

Strange, my PS4 Pro died today. It crashed earlier and then it died. I tried a hard reset and the sucker turned into a brick.

cozomel

I didn’t even know about the 4.74 bug. My system is set to auto update and I turn on my system and I don’t have 5.00 any more. When is 6 coming?

We've been told its coming soon by Sony since last Thursday the 14th and here we are almost a week later still waiting not to mention a shit ton of us got knocked out of the beta by thr 4.7.4 update because of auto update/install. I tell you, Sony has got to be one of the most incompetent and slow software writing companies in the world.

PaulLFC

So my PS4 went into rest mode and auto - downgraded from the beta without me telling it to downgrade. I see I'm not the only one either.

WTF, Sony?

RedAssedApe

Banned
So my PS4 went into rest mode and auto - downgraded from the beta without me telling it to downgrade. I see I'm not the only one either.

WTF, Sony?

they probably care more about people being able to play destiny than people getting inconvenienced as part of a beta :\

wouldn't say they are wrong in that though. if you're willing to signup for a beta be ready for some hiccups.

PaulLFC

they probably care more about people being able to play destiny than people getting inconvenienced as part of a beta :

wouldn't say they are wrong in that though. if you're willing to signup for a beta be ready for some hiccups.
I expect beta bugs, but not random downgrades without confirmation.

As far as I know the option to downgrade is available via the system update menu, so people who wanted to downgrade could use that. They shouldn't be randomly downgrading people with no warning or way to opt out of the install.

cozomel

I expect beta bugs, but not random downgrades without confirmation.

As far as I know the option to downgrade is available via the system update menu, so people who wanted to downgrade could use that. They shouldn't be randomly downgrading people with no warning or way to opt out of the install.

While I hear ya, there is/was a way to opt out, and that was to uncheck auto updates/installs. But yeah, i hear ya, Sony is very amateurish and it never should have come to this.

Spaulding

WTF, Sony?

You can disable the automatic download of firmware updates, though... It can be enabled/disabled in the options available during rest mode.

Thanks deim0s.

I'm not sure if it'll work the same with 4.74 in the mix, but for the last Beta update I found that manually checking for an update didn't find it, but going to Rest mode and then waking the PS4 back up did.

It did for me. Appeared below 4.74 in notifications.

edit: To be clear, I hadn't updated to 4.74.

nowhoney

It feels like this has been in beta for ages (it's probably just me).

When do they usually push these things out officially? After a month or so?

It depends, honestly. Usually these betas don't go beyond 4, maybe 5 if it's a big update. This one has had a lot of changes in a lot of places, then this fiasco of whatever they patched in 4.74 hitting also had to be rolled into beta 6 and then confirmed stable through testing. If they are happy with this we'll probably see 5.0 final in a couple of weeks, though.

Conjo

Banned
All my PS2 Games updated after installing Beta 6. Does that mean, that they changed something at the emulator?

Could be. Did they actually update or do they just show as they updated? Have you seen any difference in performance?

Exactly, to all those not in the beta thinking its probably just placebo, cuz you've heard it all before (typically in every update), its not, its the real deal! Especially when you go back from 5.00 to 4.7.4 then you can really feel it and you know its true, 4.7.4 feels so rough in comparison to 5.00 that it makes you wonder how you ever put up with it.

I used to think it was placebo too (because of it rebuilding databse whenever it updates can make it feel smoother) but I agree. When downgraded to 4.74 it felt really slow in comparison

cozomel

Oh hey, those smooth menus and home screen is back. I missed you.

yeah bumping down to 4.xx really made clear the speed and fluidity improvements they've made for the interface in 5.xx. glad to have it back.

Exactly, to all those not in the beta thinking its probably just placebo, cuz you've heard it all before (typically in every update), its not, its the real deal! Especially when you go back from 5.00 to 4.7.4 then you can really feel it and you know its true, 4.7.4 feels so rough in comparison to 5.00 that it makes you wonder how you ever put up with it.

And to the guy asking how long these betas usually last. They usually last about a month and sevral days and the beta went out on April 17th, so its been a month and several days. so probably soon, though I've never seen them have so much trouble or get as many complaints of issues and problems than i have in this beta. I think there is more to this beta than mights the eye. I think its a FreeBSD/UI update.

BigEmil

And to the guy asking how long these betas usually last. They usually last about a month and sevral days and the beta went out on April 17th, so its been a month and several days. so probably soon, though I've never seen them have so much trouble or get as many complaints of issues and problems than i have in this beta. I think there is more to this beta than mights the eye. I think its a FreeBSD/UI update.
August 17 not April 17 :p
All my PS2 Games updated after installing Beta 6. Does that mean, that they changed something at the emulator?
Interesting

JP

Strange, I've not had that and I've just gone and tried to manually update them but there were no updates available.

Can I ask which region your PS2 games are from? Mine are from the USA Store and I'm just wondering if yours are from the SCEE regions which could mean they've finally fixed the awfully 50Hz/60Hz conversion that these games had?

Are there any patch notes or revision numbers with the updates? what games have been updated?

RedAssedApe

Banned

feels the same to me

cozomel

August 17 not April 17 :p

Lol, right, oops, didnt even notice i did that.

Arghhh! But i still get this on my external, for the love of Pete, Sony, fix this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0p__-yL5w

feels the same to me

Then i dont know what to tell you cuz the 4.7.4 felt like a stuttery mess to me while the 5.00b3-6 feels buttery smooth by comparison. Its are not perfect as there is still a hitch or two here and there but nothing in comparison to before. You use a SSD drive or a HDD? I use a HDD, also, i have like a 100 game tiles, literally on it, you got alot of tiles on it or a little? Im also on a US launch unit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Lol, right, oops, didnt even notice i did that.

Arghhh! But i still get this on my external, for the love of Pete, Sony, fix this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0p__-yL5w

Then i dont know what to tell you cuz the 4.7.4 felt like a stuttery mess to me while the 5.00b3-6 feels buttery smooth by comparison. Its are not perfect as there is still a hitch or two here and there but nothing in comparison to before. You use a SSD drive or a HDD? I use a HDD, also, i have like a 100 game tiles, literally on it, you got alot of tiles on it or a little? Im also on a US launch unit.

just the stock PS4 Pro HDD. Could be the tiles? i don't display all of them at once. Whatever the limit is...15? lol

It's crazy how many people want to test an unstable firmware lol. Thanks I guess.

boost mode one made sense...this one...probably not so much lol. i'm debating whether or not to install beta 6 or just wait...i'm assuming that the final release is out soon as it usually isn't in beta longer than a couple of months.

It's crazy how many people want to test an unstable firmware lol. Thanks I guess.
I haven't had a single issue, other than their design choice to not allow the Custom friends Lists to be appear in the Quick Menu (you have to back out to the XMB to see them). For me this is as stable as any retail release, and Sony do love their stability.

kyser73

We've been told its coming soon by Sony since last Thursday the 14th and here we are almost a week later still waiting not to mention a shit ton of us got knocked out of the beta by thr 4.7.4 update because of auto update/install. I tell you, Sony has got to be one of the most incompetent and slow software writing companies in the world.

Then you haven't dealt with many software companies in the enterprise space.

Felensis

Banned
Finally back to 5.00 with B6. Oh boy it *is* buttery smooth in comparison to 4.x and everything before. Also black notifications <3

I've got in through a code by a fellow GAFfer, but is there a possibility to give them feedback since I didn't got an official invitation? Would love to report feedback in a forum or the like.

cozomel

feels the same to me

just the stock PS4 Pro HDD. Could be the tiles? i don't display all of them at once. Whatever the limit is...15? lol.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is, the less tiles the smoother, and yes the limit is 15, but if you keep it that low than yes, its smooth but if you're like me (and many other people) and have like a hundred game tiles, then yes, it gets very choppy and this FW addresses that.

I thought one of the problems was due to the FW, yet wasnt, cuz it was fixed by me taking out the USB drive and the other problem I experience is that it would default to notifications on the quick menu and they fixed that with the first beta update they did (beta 4). Other than that, no problems for me, smooth and stable as can be for me. The external HDD issue I've brung up many times has been there since they introduce the capability in 4.50 so its not a fw 5.0 issue. But suite yourself and keep being scared/worried over nothing and missing out.

Finally back to 5.00 with B6. Oh boy it *is* buttery smooth in comparison to 4.x and everything before. Also black notifications <3

I've got in through a code by a fellow GAFfer, but is there a possibility to give them feedback since I didn't got an official invitation? Would love to report feedback in a forum or the like.

I think if you're not offically selected then you might not be able to get into the forum but here its is if you can http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/System-Software-Beta-USA/bd-p/bEN_SystemSoftwareBetaUSA but for some weird reason, its to the EU forum even though Im in the US and got a US invitation. Good luck.

Then you haven't dealt with many software companies in the enterprise space.

Yeah, cant say i have, can you fill me in?

Blanquito

I haven’t paid close attention as to when this started, but I noticed that all the 2FA codes are all numeric now, instead of alphanumeric like they were when the feature was first released

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
At this point I’m expecting the final FW 5.00 update to have features that aren’t in the beta, they must be working on something.

Those features may also be game developers and app developers features that are invisible to you as a user and it would be good if more gamers considered that angle as well.
Look at iOS 11, look at Android Oreo, etc... the developer related changes are much much more than the user facing ones.

Sony is massively wasting a big occasion not publicising those Developer SDK related API changes/improvements and tools like Apple does at WWDC which always filters out (and the keynote is public). Gamers play games and games are made and depend on stuff nobody publicly talks about, massive PR opportunity loss.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Those features may also be game developers and app developers features that are invisible to you as a user and it would be good if more gamers considered that angle as well.
Look at iOS 11, look at Android Oreo, etc... the developer related changes are much much more than the user facing ones.

Sony is massively wasting a big occasion not publicising those Developer SDK related API changes/improvements and tools like Apple does at WWDC which always filters out (and the keynote is public). Gamers play games and games are made and depend on stuff nobody publicly talks about, massive PR opportunity loss.

General users don’t care about this stuff though. The ones that do are the highly technical minority or console warriors.

Top Bottom