• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

Anyone else losing a shitton of money when night comes? I lose like 300K. I make it up in the morning for some reason o.0. Aditionally... holy shit what a death wave just hit me. About 25K died and all mi hearses are over capacity

I did too. Using mostly nuclear.

I think I asked this months ago but do Service vehicles still respond to calls on the other side of the map rather than the ones closest to them, resulting in burnt down buildings next door to Fire stations?. I remember a Dev posting on reddit who was looking into the ability to restrict services to the District they belong to but I can't find it. Perhaps there's a mod that offers it?

I just like the idea of smaller, isolated towns that can sustain themselves.

It's been a month or two since I last played Cities Skylines. I decided to turn off all my assets and mods so I can learn how to use the new stuff in its vanilla form

Did the game get a graphical update or something? Cause it somehow looks nicer. Speaking of nice looking things; holy SHIT night time looks great.

Anybody know how to connect roads to the new piers? it's not letting me.
It's really weird. I haven't quite figured it out yet. I just connected the road near a pier and it seemed to connect. Even though it didn't look quite right, vehicles still drove into the parking lot and parked.

Armaros

Amazing how they are giving a large chunk of this away for free, considering they would probably have sold more copies of the expansion if they locked the day/night cycle behind it.

Picked up a copy, have zero time to play it right now but have to applaud their attitude towards the game.

Its the classic Paradox DLC model.

Provide a major update with many of the new integrated systems, and have a paid DLC that unlocks some of the more advanced and/or separate systems.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just loaded up one my big cities to see how it looks at night. I was getting sooo excited and BAM, all my solar power plants shut down on me and I lose power to most of the city.

Dayum, didn't see that coming!

Edit: Guess i'm not the only one.
Everyone's complaining about it because everyone used solar power. It was the best method. Nuclear is too expensive and consuming. Hydro is too difficult. Wind power is now my only option. I wanted to replace the 20+ turbines I have on the ocean with two solar plants but now I guess I have to stick with them. Thankfully they are a constant 20MW each. Sad thing is one nuclear plant would output the same amount of power but cost literally twice as much and would use up so much water.

spiritfox

Seriously it worked fine in-game as it was. I was just watching quill and he was talking about it too. No energy storage for some reason. Why even build them now? Like at all? They're as useless as that lemon shaped rock over there.

Cities consume less power at night due to factories and some commercial not working, so you can use them as additonal power in the day where it's needed. You can also adjust the power budget so your non solar plants generate more at night. It's not very realistic but it's a good gameplay mechanic.

Seriously it worked fine in-game as it was. I was just watching quill and he was talking about it too. No energy storage for some reason. Why even build them now? Like at all? They're as useless as that lemon shaped rock over there.
Hopefully Paradox or modders will release a lemon behind that rock and provide some giant power storage facility. Who am I kidding, I bet there's already a mod out.

Ranger X

Ok since the patch I can see that some effects did change.

For instance the smog over the industries, for whatever reason (maybe because of the new lighting) the smog is much more tick and brown. Like I can't see shit now. Its EXTREMELY annoying.

Anyway to turn off that shitty god damned effect? I see no options for that

spiritfox

Ok since the patch I can see that some effects did change.

For instance the smog over the industries, for whatever reason (maybe because of the new lighting) the smog is much more tick and brown. Like I can't see shit now. Its EXTREMELY annoying.

Anyway to turn off that shitty god damned effect? I see no options for that

Blah blah mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523824395

Also this should help with any non loading issues.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523984743

Pachael

After Dark didn't really solve the object limit issue :(

Luckily I have a pre mod (9 tiles) game to put in all the new stuff - I have no issue handing my dosh over

Effect

Police are all screwed up for me. Don't know if this has been happening in the past but it's something I certainly noticed after the update because that's when I started messing around with my city again. I can follow a car that leaves from one station, goes to a nearby location and then when it returns it goes to an entirely different district that is two purchased sections away. Can have a station right next to my stadium with the stadium flashing high crime but it won't dispatch any cars even though it only says two are out. I think the hospitals are screwed up as well. Not sending out ambulances from the nearest one but instead getting one from across my city.

Anyone else notice something like this?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Is the bug (I suppose its a bug cause it doesnt make sense) fixed where buildings get bad mood when i build a underground highway underneath them?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully Paradox or modders will release a lemon behind that rock and provide some giant power storage facility. Who am I kidding, I bet there's already a mod out.
Well I hope someone makes a mod to have solar power plants still output at night or something. I can only use the 20MW wind power plants now.

The small turbines are too underpowered and only work best on top of mountains. ($80/w each for at most 8MW if you're lucky)

Oil and Coal require resources and make a lot of pollution. ($560/w for 40MW for coal, $1920/w for 120MW)

Hydro plants require a river and can cause more problems than they solve and are really hard to figure out. ($3200/w for up to 1600MW at largest size, but that will never happen since it varies a lot depending on where it's put)

Solar power now only works at night. ($1200/w for up to 160MW at the most direct point)

Nuclear costs twice as much as the wind for the same amount of output. ($8000/w to output 640MW but it also uses a heck of a lot of water. 1920 cubic meters per week, though I guess you could negate it with a single water tower.)

All that's left is the fusion plant but you need to get to the top end of the population stage before you can even access it. But on the bright side, it costs the same as the nuclear plant but outputs 16,000MW.

Then there's incinerators that add up to an extra 12MW depending on how full they are but you can't rely on them to always be there.

So basically it's just fill the rivers and ocean with advanced wind turbines. Any better ideas? Hydro requires a good map. And wind requires good placement. Oil and coal require resources. Nuclear requires water but costs too much. (Fine if you can afford it. But when it costs half as much to just put some turbines on the ocean where they won't be in the way, why bother?) I miss solar. They looked nice at least. But I'll live with my turbine farm.

syko de4d

so bought skylines and after dark, which mods should i have? :D

atm i have:
Terraform 0.8.
Building Themes
European Buildings Unlocker
All 25 Areas purchasable
Automatic Bulldoze
Clouds and Fog Toggler

Didnt know it had so many free things in the expansion, reminds me of Frontier during the expansion packs of RCT3, making the most important things a free patch (tunnels, waterfalls, import your own image to make billboards...) and still adding very cool things to the expansion itself to buy.

I think im going to wait for mods to be stable for me to play again.

Then only thing left for me that they really need to add is 3-4 one way lane roads. Theres not even mods that do that. Jumping from 2 lanes to 6 was a glaring omission that has still not been adressed.

spiritfox

Didnt know it had so many free things in the expansion, reminds me of Frontier during the expansion packs of RCT3, making the most important things a free patch (tunnels, waterfalls, import your own image to make billboards...) and still adding very cool things to the expansion itself to buy.

Then only thing left for me that they really need to add is 3-4 one way lane roads. Theres not even mods that do that. Jumping from 2 lanes to 6 was a glaring omission that has still not been adressed.

But there is :p

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478820060

spiritfox

The one ways just came out yesterday actually, but the mod is about a few months old. It's pretty amazing how fast good mods are coming out for this game. NAM took years to get off the ground. C:S is not even a year old!

Most mods are stable now. I have a shitton of mods installed. I only had to turn off 2 or 3 last night except for moving sun and street lights because those are now obsolete. It might take a while for assets to get updated with light maps, but mods are good for the most part.

man i forgot entirely how much paralysis i face in the early stages of the game when faced with a blank map

Me too! Had to start over several times I think it was the 5th time it finally started to flow, and I started to have a "vision"... It was also very hard to decide should I go with easy/hard and progression/everything unlocked...

Crispy75

I've started putting a custom map together, with an eye to doing a complete "history" for a city. ie. starting by laying down dirt tracks between farming villages, following through ~1,000 years of additions and demolitions to make a city with realistic texture. I get the feeling I will be using a LOT of custom assets.

Jintor

really enjoying myself although i need to refind the building renamer mod so I don't have 2000 box factories

also this smog pollution is hella dench i tell you what

Crispy75

also this smog pollution is hella dench i tell you what

?

42eb215bbe6965a6be1e87c96f4b150e.jpg

Ostinatto

I don't know what i did, but now the game has day/night cycles and now my solar power stations stopped working. what happened?

Luigi87

Just bought the base game from Nuuvem
$12.30 CAD
... why did I not know about that glorious retailer before! Will try that out before investing in the paid version of After Dark.

Chariot

Looking at my red lighted entertainment district I am really missing organized crime. I would really be excited about various forms ranging from small local gangs, to bigger groups made of these gangs to higher quality organized crime like Mafia and Yakuza that siphon money and can get into gang wars against each other or - if policies are implemented - against the law enforcement. Connected to that corruption would be an interesting addition.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
man i forgot entirely how much paralysis i face in the early stages of the game when faced with a blank map

Me too! Had to start over several times I think it was the 5th time it finally started to flow, and I started to have a "vision"... It was also very hard to decide should I go with easy/hard and progression/everything unlocked...

this is why i never get anywhere. I have no idea where to start and my initial plans always look like garbage.

It's not so bad. Just ignore starting city A, buy a new tile and work your vision from there as city B. Once you have your plan set? Build some roads in the new area, zone it enough to replace your city A, and start demolishing. Your citizens will move to the newly zoned area instead of leave, and you get to keep all that nice tax revenue in the meantime.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I find the best way to start a city is to just start building. I don't make grand plans at first, those come later after I have something in place and decide that I want something else. This is especially true in Skylines because making money isn't too difficult if you grow steadily and conservatively. Once you have a warchest saved up then it's relatively cake to bulldoze entire city blocks to put that train line through downtown, or to raze a line of factorys to put in that super highway you really need.

Treat it like clay, not concrete. You can mold and shape it fairly easily, and remember that nothing you build can not be unbuilt or built better later on.

Grabbed the DLC and jumped back in after a long time away from this game, and probably bit off way more than I could chew by simultaneously attempting to install the texture replacement mod.

Now attempting to start any new game results in getting stuck at about 99.9% completion on the loading screen.

Deleted the game, hopefully a fresh install pared back to the base game will solve things. But damn, I really want a snow city.

Lexxism

Grabbed the DLC and jumped back in after a long time away from this game, and probably bit off way more than I could chew by simultaneously attempting to install the texture replacement mod.

Now attempting to start any new game results in getting stuck at about 99.9% completion on the loading screen.

Deleted the game, hopefully a fresh install pared back to the base game will solve things. But damn, I really want a snow city.
That's what I did. Install the game fresh and deleted the mods too. It's working perfectly now

Chariot

What is the duration of a day and a night? I am aiming for the 1001 nights achievement, but it seems that I have to wait a looooong time to get that. It's the last one that's missing and I bascially am idling my city at the moment.

Moltenix

Alot of my Tourist Specialized Commercial Buildings keep getting abandoned saying there's not enough customers. Are these buildings only for tourists or can regular residents make use of them?

I have a frickin Harbor and Space Elevator nearby, not sure what else to do to get more tourists in if that's the case...

Ludovico

Put in about two hours so far (just the base game), and I'm continually running into money problems.
Where's the majority of my early game income supposed to come from?
Zoning as dense as possible, ramping up slowly, focusing on JUST one of the three zones or making sure they're all pretty even?

Building the water outlet outside the range of the power plant was a GREAT move...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Put in about two hours so far (just the base game), and I'm continually running into money problems.
Where's the majority of my early game income supposed to come from?
Zoning as dense as possible, ramping up slowly, focusing on JUST one of the three zones or making sure they're all pretty even?

Building the water outlet outside the range of the power plant was a GREAT move...

Money shouldn't be that hard to come by.

You might be building too expensive roads than you need. You might have more services than you need. Check the services info panels. If you have an excess of green, nudge their budget down a little, and then gradually bring it back up later as your city grows.

You could also tick up your taxes to 9, 10, or 11 percent.

You should probably be making a lot of money with industrial to make goods and residential to supply workers.

Top Bottom