• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 Is A New PS3 Emulator, Still In Early Stage, Boots Commercial Game

baby-dance-gif-thank-god-its-friday-tgif-delebration.gif

lets get it

Oemenia

Banned
Well it'll be a while before we have a system capable of running an emulator well but being able to boot games is absolutely huge. AFAIK the Cell has some built-in security so its even more impressive.

On the other hand we are yet to get a decent XBOX emulator in any form...

Josh7289

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH shit yes I am excited about this! God damn this stuff is always so fascinating. I'm so excited that it's finally happening!

As a software developer, I really really want to see this reach completion, even if it takes 10+ years. It's such impressive work.

fallagin

Again... this isn't new. First public version was May 2011

http://code.google.com/p/rpcs3/source/detail?r=1

They've been working their asses off for 3 years on this. It's amazingly impressive but too many people think this came out of no where.

(Edit) To be clear, I think it's doing a disservice to ignore the fact that they've already put years of work into this... Not a lot of love or attention for those first couple years but suddenly "Oh it boots commercial games? NOW I'm interested." It bothers me is all.

I did know it was around before this, I just thought it was going to take longer for a game to boot. Didn't mean to diminish any other achievements with the project.

Zarx

Now we just need some graphene/carbon nanotube based processors at 40GHz+ and we should be good to go.

As a huge proponent of emulation and currently neck deep in PPSSPP as a tester, this is excellent stuff to me.

As for the minimum requirements to run PS3 games at fullspeed though... That CELL would probably need an octacore i7 at the very minimum to emulate, 1 core for the PPE, and 7 for the SPEs.

The RSX 7800GTX analogue in the PS3 would probably take a lot GPU power to emulate adequately though, probably a TITAN?

As a huge proponent of emulation and currently neck deep in PPSSPP as a tester, this is excellent stuff to me.

As for the minimum requirements to run PS3 games at fullspeed though... That CELL would probably need an octacore i7 at the very minimum to emulate, 1 core for the PPE, and 7 for the SPEs.

The RSX 7800GTX analogue in the PS3 would probably take a lot GPU power to emulate adequately though, probably a TITAN?

I doubt specs will be that big of an issue once it can actually run most games well, though.

jediyoshi

(Edit) To be clear, I think it's doing a disservice to ignore the fact that they've already put years of work into this... Not a lot of love or attention for those first couple years but suddenly "Oh it boots commercial games? NOW I'm interested." It bothers me is all.

I was under the understanding that booting commercial games was a bigger milestone. I'd think people not paying attention after it would be just as bad.

Wow that's seriously amazing work, props to everyone involved! :D The thought of playing Neptunia, Atelier Ayesha and all my other JRPGs in 1080p+... I envy my future self! :p

And that reminds me I sometimes have to get a 2nd PS3 with CFW so I can atleast Remote Play them for now :(

Espada

I'm not expecting this to be usable for a very long time. It took the PS2 ages to get decent emulation, and the PS3 will likely take much longer than that.

Still, good to hear there's work being done on it.

Garcia

I've always been of the idea that a competent PS3 emulator could be a reality before 2015 and here we are now.

farisr

Looking forward to play some ps3 games in 4k when I make my next rig 7-8 years from now with tons of AA.

Kinda like how I just got Dolphin and started playing Wii games in HD after making my current rig.

GamerJM

Banned
Maybe I won't have to borrow a ps3 for persona 5 after all, just wait until I build my pc in 2020

As a collector who never uses emulators, something about people saying things like this just bugs me on principle :\. No harm intended to anyone. This is still really neat and makes me happy for game preservation-related purposes.

Shengar

Sweet! Just in time before my PS3 broke from lack of use and dust 20 years later!

Snarky aside, good job really. I mean, it's a frikkin Cell we talking about here.
As a collector who never uses emulators, something about people saying things like this just bugs me on principle :. No harm intended to anyone. This is still really neat and makes me happy for game preservation-related purposes.
I think that particular post just (half) joking by the 2020 mention at the end.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Crazy that they have a ps3 game running before an OG XBox game. Was that system coded to the metal or what?

Orayn

Whoa.

Crazy that they have a ps3 game running before an OG XBox game. Was that system coded to the metal or what?

Documentation problems abound. It's hard to emulate it at a low level because there's no exhaustive writeup of all the CPU and GPU functions that's readily available to work with. The next approach would be to write more of an interpreter that turns Xbox SDK instructions into ones Windows can understand, but efforts on that front have stalled out for other reasons.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Woah, this is huge. Awesome to see.

This feels like the first big step towards real, substantial PS3 emulation and I couldn't be more excited to see it.

How well is the PS3 documented? If I recall correctly, the Wii is really well emulated because the documentation for it was leaked, and I think something pretty similar happened for at least parts of the PS2.

How well is the PS3 documented? If I recall correctly, the Wii is really well emulated because the documentation for it was leaked, and I think something pretty similar happened for at least parts of the PS2.

IIRC PS2 hardware documentation came in a PDF with the PS2 linux kits.

I don't think there's any public PS3 documentation but there may have been some parts of the SDK leaked or something.

Jawmuncher

I live in a world where PS3 and 360 emulation will probably happen before OG Xbox Emulation. Something is seriously wrong with that.

ArjanN

This is really exciting. I shouldn't have such a negative take on things but I'm sad this is happening before Xbox in a way. That console had a lot of exclusive gems that are still worth playing today. Phantom Dust being a huge one.

Of course, PS3 has Valkyria Chronicles and emulating it gives us an opportunity to play the Yakuza game we missed in the US. In four or five years when this is stable it will be amazing to go back to those.

A lot might be a bit generous IMO, personally I think there's a only a handful of games that never got ported and are still something you'd actually want to play.

I think that's a big part of why the emulation scene never focused that much on it. (besides the technical challenges of course)

Hackers have pretty much torn the PS3 down completely hardware and software wise. Wii was easily emulated because the majority of the hardware is the same as the gamecube, Dolphin already existed at the time the Wii came out... it was just learning the ins and outs of the new bits (mostly starlet, BT modules, etc).

PS2 has NEVER had good documentation and lots of the documentation that DID exist was either poor or inaccurate. Nearly all of it was reverse engineered by some crazy experienced people on the PCSX2 team (most of whom have now moved on to other things).

That said on the PS3 front, just because you know a large part of the ins and outs, doesn't mean it's suddenly easier to program for, it's just stuff to get your start from. I assume a lot of what the people who work on RPCS3 do is creating sample software, run it on the PS3, and then use the results to write code for the emu. A lot of educated trial and error.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I live in a world where PS3 and 360 emulation will probably happen before OG Xbox Emulation. Something is seriously wrong with that.

you're also in a world where potentially XBox one and PS4 emulation happens before all of them (entirely made up guesswork but the architectures do seem much more straightforward and PC-like than PS3)

KHlover

Banned
A lot might be a bit generous IMO, personally I think there's a only a handful of games that never got ported and are still something you'd actually want to play.

I think that's a big part of why the emulation scene never focused that much on it. (besides the technical challenges of course)
Isn't the technical challenge usually what's drawing hackers and programmers in? Basic interest in the topic provided, of course?

Seems to me that simply no one has even a remote interest in emulating the OG XBOX at this point.

Now this is a surprise but I can't help but be reminded of early N64 emulators. IIRC one of the first only ran two games; Mario 64 and Zelda OOT but IIRC such low compatability meant they could run at reasonable speed.

Son Of D

The thought of a really beefy PC rig emulating God of War 3 or Uncharted 2 is quite exciting. There's also the humorous thought of emulating HD remasters (although in cases like FFX and KH, which have new content for US and EU, it makes sense).

Talamius

Now this is a surprise but I can't help but be reminded of early N64 emulators. IIRC one of the first only ran two games; Mario 64 and Zelda OOT but IIRC such low compatability meant they could run at reasonable speed.

UltraHLE was mindblowing back in the day. Mario 64 and OoT were completely playable on a Pentium II 400.

Dario ff

Banned
Why was this video taken down? Weird.
The takedown notice is because a very skeptic someone probably reported it. Sad thing that happens sometimes with stuff like this due to the huge amount of fake emulators popping up... this one's legit tho. : /

Top Bottom