• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy MvC infinite and SF5 to keep Capcom fighter games alive?

Capcom didn't feel like they owed their fans a substantial fighting game with a decent amount of content, so you sure as shit shouldn't feel like you owe them anything in return.

fighting game dark ages were a myth anyway, there were plenty of games to play during that period, and people did play them

I think a company could succeed by catering to the competitive player. I just don't see how everything missing in launch SFV vs launch SFIV was tuning it better for competitive play/players. It seemed like an incomplete game and someone in marketing had the idea that maybe if they said "tuned for the hardcore" then people would just blindly submit and accept the shortcomings.

Capcom didn't cater to competitive players in terms of how they designed the game, they just tried to package the "FGC experience" and sell that to the general public. The game seeming incomplete is kinda besides the point when it's not even trying to achieve what you'd expect in the first place.

Wonko_C

Don't buy them to save a faceless corporation. They owe you nothing. Buy them because both games are a great deal of fun online.

Forward

I wouldn't even deign to drop a load in their graves to support their ashes. Even as motes, their remains are more shit than a mass grave can hope to bear. I guess they get props for that spacial paradox. It is about as bad what they did with Spidey's neck??? and shoulder??? anatomy. To say nothing of how fecal Didn'te looks. Liefeld wept.

Forward

SFV is actually a lot of fun, and AE is right around the corner.

Prepped to suck, with no traces of apology or irony.

SFV is an ugly, AIDS-infected mess, trying to run game on an empty corner with no hope of gentrification pulling marks from actual, vibrant lobbies in better locations.

Even its pimp got fired.

Csr

The problem with "vote with your wallet" is that you can't indicate what you're voting against.

In this case, does not buying SFV mean that you don't like SFV, that the fighting game market is too overcrowded, your favorite character isn't in it yet, etc.

If they want to see why the game failed they can just read the bajilion gaming threads on the subject, taking the right conclusions and decisions though requires capable people who are in touch with the forums, the genre and the fanbase.

yurinka

Yes, if you want more fighting games -especifically from Capcom- you should support SFV and MvCi.

MvCi is quite good, SFV is awesome and with the upcoming Arcade Edition free update is going to be a master piece because it would fix the lack of Arcade mode that right now is its main flaw (and will be even better once after that the Unreal Engine 4 patch comes in a few months to reduce the input lag).

Right now their performance isn't very good considering modern AAA sales and budgets, so if Capcom doesn't end being happy with them they may stop making fighting games.

Sadly, as you can see in this thread Capcom hardcore "fanbase" is full of toxic people who boycott their games in related forum threads. Supporting the games and providing constructive feedback helps to improve the games. To generate bad community mood and boycots to don't buy games kill franchises as seen in other cases.

And as happened before, if Capcom leaves fighting games again most other companies will follow them because Capcom is one of the major references in the genre.

Big0Bear

Yes, if you want more fighting games -especifically from Capcom- you should support SFV and MvCi.

MvCi is quite good, SFV is awesome and with the upcoming Arcade Edition free update is going to be a master piece because it would fix the lack of Arcade mode that right now is its main flaw (and will be even better once after that the Unreal Engine 4 patch comes in a few months to reduce the input lag).

Right now their performance isn't very good considering modern AAA sales and budgets, so if Capcom doesn't end being happy with them they may stop making fighting games.

Sadly, as you can see in this thread Capcom hardcore "fanbase" is full of toxic people who boycott their games in related forum threads. Supporting the games and providing constructive feedback helps to improve the games. To generate bad community mood and boycots to don't buy games kill franchises as seen in other cases.

And as happened before, if Capcom leaves fighting games again most other companies will follow them because Capcom is one of the major references in the genre.

Can’t realky say people in this thread are capcoms fanbase. And while I don’t want them to die not buying games that aren’t up to your standards should be common practice. If they listened to critism we would have seen improvements by now but from vanilla mvc3 to mvci all the games imbetween have been getting worse.

I say support the devs who are trying harder giving more and never left us like capcom did

yurinka

Can't realky say people in this thread are capcoms fanbase. And while I don't want them to die not buying games that aren't up to your standards should be common practice. If they listened to critism we would have seen improvements by now but from vanilla mvc3 to mvci all the games imbetween have been getting worse.

I say support the devs who are trying harder giving more and never left us like capcom did
Well, I didn't follow the UMVC3 community, but at least in SFV they improved many things compared to SFIV: online community of both versions are the same through crossplay, no need to buy a 2nd disc or to pay more to get the new game modes or gameplay changes or additions, an important part of the DLC (including all the DLC characters) can be unlocked by playing and not by paying, vanilla and Arcade Edition won't be segmentated in terms of online so early players won't be left behind with new updates because it's going to be a free update, etc.

And since launch we saw a ton of improvements, additions, tweaks and fixes that highly improved the game and considered (constructive) feedback. It's too early for MvCI to see how it evolves after launch, but at least we saw that it solved a huge issue SFV had at launch: the lack of Arcade/Story mode (added later in SFV).

I suggest you to politely tell Capcom how would you improve MvCI in through their oficial forums and SM accounts, what do you like and what don't, etc.

This would help them to identify points to improve their game in the future if possible according to their budget, time and plans. Some things may require too important changes and won't be possible, but others may be. Some things may be shared by the majority of the players, and others don't (often the people in forums are just a non-representative tiny ultra-hardcore portion of their fanbase).

Sometimes it will be possible to include certain characters and others don't (depending on licensing issues or corporate strategy, like X-Men characters being licensed by Fox instead of Marvel so Disney/Fox may not allow to include them in-game, etc).

Pila

You should buy a game because you wanna play it and have fun.

You don't have enough money to "save" Capcom and it's not your business. They're terribly mismanaged to the point where it looks like a joke sometimes, not your fault I guess.

Doogle

Neo Member
Both games are quite trash imo. SF5 is slightly less shit than MvCi if you had to choose. I personally regret my purchase of SF5. Never been more bored playing a fighting game in my life.

amdb00mer

Normally, I would say yes. but MvC: I is not a very good game and SFV was basically an early access title, which would have been ok if it had been marketed that way. While I'm still not too high on SFV, it does seem to be a complete game now. I'm glad I rented MvC: I before buying it.

zenspider

No shit never support shit games

Hot take!

Both games are super fun - gameplay has never been the problem. SFV has absolutely gotten it's shit together over time regarding other problems.

I'd jump in when SFV: Arcade Edition comes out as there should be a healthy new player base to cut your teeth on.

Platy

Maybe buy Arcade edition to tell that sfV should have shipped when ready.

Injustice, MK, Tekken, smash, mobile fighters and probably DBFZ are selling pretty well.
If Capcom thinks fighters don't sell than they have only themselves to blame.

Evolve or get out.
Now if they want to try something cheap and new that will sell, there is this other very informative and artistic thread here at Era ;D

Pejo

I personally won't do it again after this BS:

Darkstalkers-Not-Dead.jpg

SS4Ricky

Neo Member
I was one of the few that had a great time with SFV...but I also had a number of friends that got it launch as well. We just hung out and played a bunch and did cool combos and got better off each other, then went online and just wrecked people in ranked and unranked. I think Overwatch came out that year and we never really got back into SFV...I feel bad because I enjoyed the time I spent with it and have been meaning to go back, but the backlash from the community makes me not want to sadly.

Now take in point without friends i'm sure it was a miserable experience, but SFV has been improving a lot on story and characters and additional content. I feel like it deserves a second chance for the people that hated it and a chance for the people who are hesitant because of the negative feedback.

I'm still salty about them MvC:I ditching X-Men and the overall low production value of the game in general. Plus DBFZ is coming out soon anyways so play SFV and wait until then.

SFV AE will finally be a product worth the cost. The original SFV was lacking.

I would imagine the inevitable MvCI "Adjective" version will be the right time to jump in as well.

SmashTheState

Neo Member
Should I buy MvC infinite and SF5 to keep Capcom fighter games alive?
Thats like asking if you should buy a bottle of gin for you alcoholic grandad because you love him. In other words, no, it's time to cut him off and hope he can come get clean and become a decent person again.

Big0Bear

Well, I didn't follow the UMVC3 community, but at least in SFV they improved many things compared to SFIV: online community of both versions are the same through crossplay, no need to buy a 2nd disc or to pay more to get the new game modes or gameplay changes or additions, an important part of the DLC (including all the DLC characters) can be unlocked by playing and not by paying, vanilla and Arcade Edition won't be segmentated in terms of online so early players won't be left behind with new updates because it's going to be a free update, etc.

And since launch we saw a ton of improvements, additions, tweaks and fixes that highly improved the game and considered (constructive) feedback. It's too early for MvCI to see how it evolves after launch, but at least we saw that it solved a huge issue SFV had at launch: the lack of Arcade/Story mode (added later in SFV).

I suggest you to politely tell Capcom how would you improve MvCI in through their oficial forums and SM accounts, what do you like and what don't, etc.

This would help them to identify points to improve their game in the future if possible according to their budget, time and plans. Some things may require too important changes and won't be possible, but others may be. Some things may be shared by the majority of the players, and others don't (often the people in forums are just a non-representative tiny ultra-hardcore portion of their fanbase).

Sometimes it will be possible to include certain characters and others don't (depending on licensing issues or corporate strategy, like X-Men characters being licensed by Fox instead of Marvel so Disney/Fox may not allow to include them in-game, etc).

Mvc3 launch with 5 costumes on disc and magically never got dlc and then they made umvc3 and said it was the earthquakes fault for no support of vanilla. Who tells capcom we want to pay for costumes and characters for every damn game. They got in trouble with fans if sfv with their season pass. Instead of not being cheap they changed the passes to character pass and costume pass. So instead of giving more content you can drop and extra 60 dollars to have everything in mvci which was rushed and half assed. Capcom is listening and they don’t care. So to get them to change their ways you should support companies that are doing it right. Tekkens season pass is offering characters and modes that weren’t excepted and are selling bs costume packs or shit like that

yurinka

Mvc3 launch with 5 costumes on disc and magically never got dlc and then they made umvc3 and said it was the earthquakes fault for no support of vanilla. Who tells capcom we want to pay for costumes and characters for every damn game. They got in trouble with fans if sfv with their season pass. Instead of not being cheap they changed the passes to character pass and costume pass. So instead of giving more content you can drop and extra 60 dollars to have everything in mvci which was rushed and half assed. Capcom is listening and they don't care. So to get them to change their ways you should support companies that are doing it right. Tekkens season pass is offering characters and modes that weren't excepted and are selling bs costume packs or shit like that
Seems you don't know SFV very well: there are some costume packs, but there is no costume pass.

Regarding the SFV season pass, Capcom always said since the beggining it was going to include characters only. Characters that btw you can unlock for free playing the game in just a few hours, like colors, titles and some costumes or stages. They delivered, and not only this: they also included in the Character Season pass additional colors and costumes for these characters when purchased with real money, and some extra in the season pass like (not sure, but I think it was during a limited amount of time) a stage.

So obviously there is no controversy in the SFV community regarding the season passes: people is happy because they included even more things than the promised ones.

And not only with season pass: Capcom is releasing for free all SFV new game modes, gameplay tweaks and additions, new features, a lot of new content like new characters/costumes/colors/stages that can be unlocked by playing instead of paid by real money, etc. It's even going to be free to update from SFV to SFAE. So people who bought SFV and the ones who will buy SFVAE are going to be able to play online together, as PS4 and PC players are able to play together.

I don't understand why some people like you prefer having to pay an additional game or season pass and to split the community of the game for a few game modes and to don't have the possibility of getting the new characters of the new version of the game by playing instead of by paying.

I think the SFV way is better than the MVC3 to UMVC3, the Tekken 7 way (stuff separated in season pass that can't be unlocked) or MVCI (paid only DLC, no way to unlock it by playing).

Hot take!

Both games are super fun - gameplay has never been the problem. SFV has absolutely gotten it's shit together over time regarding other problems.

I would have put up with SFV being just training/versus and not cared about any other bullshit if it had actually been a fun game

gameplay has always been the problem with that game

Hoshigumi

Buying crapcom games as they are now just enforces the idea that crapcom can get away with being a great big shitter.

You're better off hoping that crapcom collapse and the licenses for these game series gets sold to people who have a heart.

Xilium

On one hand, their fighting games don't sell particularly well to the masses but on the other hand, they completely dominate the fighting game e-sports scene. In terms of participants, viewership, and longevity, the Smash Bros games are the only ones that even come close to competing with the Capcom fighters.

I feel like, what they lose in early game sales, they make up for with merchandising, event advertising, DLC, tournament entry fees, so on and so forth. I'm sure they would like it if their games sold really well also, but focusing on the e-sports angle seems to at least be balancing out the relatively poor sales.

Hot take!

I'd jump in when SFV: Arcade Edition comes out as there should be a healthy new player base to cut your teeth on.

Yeah I think the gameplay is good aside from some improvements that are needed on the defensive side. Since gaf got it wrong with dark souls, i.e. one of the worst games gameplaywise I can remember, I pretty much keep an open mind as to what is good and what is bad.

Big0Bear

Seems you don't know SFV very well: there are some costume packs, but there is no costume pass.

Regarding the SFV season pass, Capcom always said since the beggining it was going to include characters only. Characters that btw you can unlock for free playing the game in just a few hours, like colors, titles and some costumes or stages. They delivered, and not only this: they also included in the Character Season pass additional colors and costumes for these characters when purchased with real money, and some extra in the season pass like (not sure, but I think it was during a limited amount of time) a stage.

So obviously there is no controversy in the SFV community regarding the season passes: people is happy because they included even more things than the promised ones.

And not only with season pass: Capcom is releasing for free all SFV new game modes, gameplay tweaks and additions, new features, a lot of new content like new characters/costumes/colors/stages that can be unlocked by playing instead of paid by real money, etc. It's even going to be free to update from SFV to SFAE. So people who bought SFV and the ones who will buy SFVAE are going to be able to play online together, as PS4 and PC players are able to play together.

I don't understand why some people like you prefer having to pay an additional game or season pass and to split the community of the game for a few game modes and to don't have the possibility of getting the new characters of the new version of the game by playing instead of by paying.

I think the SFV way is better than the MVC3 to UMVC3, the Tekken 7 way (stuff separated in season pass that can't be unlocked) or MVCI (paid only DLC, no way to unlock it by playing).

The costume pass was mvci. Yea they make you grind to get new characters and stages but costumes are premium??? Tekken lets you edit your characters. Injustice 2 does the same. Kof gives you 50 at the start. So yea.

Defend capcom all you want but they aren’t doing as much as their competitors so blindly giving them money for no reason is stupid. If you like their games cool but if you want to support the Fgc buy games that are doing customers rights so the companies don’t go the way of EA

danmaku

If you don't want to play it, why buy it? So Capcom can keep making fighting games you don't want to play?

Capcom doesn't need your help, they need a new management and sadly they probably won't get it.

In Japan and at my local Geo, they've got this going for 1999Y new now. That's some serious bomba! Still dont have much reason to get it though, can only see it going even lower.

The fact that this thread exists is proof that Capcom and it's fighting games will be just fine. We got 2 million Stans out there smh.

GC_DALBEN

I liked SF5, i didnt liked MVC, but the fighting game that i played the most this gen is KI, if you have the chance buy it, it pretty fun :).

Dont buy bad games only because you suport the dev.

Top Bottom