• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

Stopdoor

Does Arcade A contol disable Up as fast-drop? Accidental fast-drop is some grade-A rage-inducing bullshit.

Also, Puyo is busted as fuck. Someone prove me wrong.

It's hard to tell if you're saying it's busted in a gameplay sense, or an overpowered way, or what...? Like I'm sure you'll find defenders if it's the former, Puyo Puyo has been around the block a few times.

Honestly, you get way more accidental fast drops with the Pro's D pad.

I'm having this exact issue with the pro controller. When I try to play Tetris really fast I make a million wrong drops by mistake. This doesn't happen at all in handheld mode, wtf?

Listening to all the voices... Yeah, they've definitely grown on me. A few of the alt voices are much nicer, like Klug's and Sig's. And Ex sounds... way deep and serious, for being a goofy-looking mofo that throws flowers everywhere in his highest attacks.

A lot of initial "off"-ness about the English voices for me went back to difference in interpretation between me and whoever was doing the voice direction. So it's nice that a series without an established dub cast gets to have more than one "take" on the character via the Alt Voices. Like, I interpreted Feli as being more malicious sounding than just gloomy sounding, so I'm glad that's covered via the Alt Voice.

Other stuff I particularly liked were the interpretation of Ecolo's spells as being things he calls his opponent rather than just spell names, and just how damn close Suketoudara's dub VA sounds to his Japanese one.

cireza

Banned
I have been playing the demo (and reviewing) this game with the Pro Controller and I never do any accidental hard drops.

Unicorn

Like, I don't literally think it's broken. I just want some answer as I was bringing my SO to tears with 3 chains and she kept getting full Tetris and I was unphased. She is a thousand times better at puzzle games than I am, so that is why I'm asking if anyone felt the same or had a logical explanation of how the mechanics work as to why a 3chain adds 5+ rows of tetris lines to her board.

Also, does Arcade A controls eliminate the analog fast-fall and auto-drop now that it is put on a trigger button?

I guess, what my argument is, is this: I can play a braindead puyo, but her experienced tetris loses. that imbalance is the concern.

So, is it possible to just play puyo puyo on its own in single player? I have had it pre ordered for a while now, but I've never actually found out if this is the case.

thefro

Like, I don't literally think it's broken. I just want some answer as I was bringing my SO to tears with 3 chains and she kept getting full Tetris and I was unphased. She is a thousand times better at puzzle games than I am, so that is why I'm asking if anyone felt the same or had a logical explanation of how the mechanics work as to why a 3chain adds 5+ rows of tetris lines to her board.

Also, does Arcade A controls eliminate the analog fast-fall and auto-drop now that it is put on a trigger button?

T-Spins seem to be the best attacks, not getting Tetris.

MrPanic

I guess, what my argument is, is this: I can play a braindead puyo, but her experienced tetris loses. that imbalance is the concern.

Only going for the 4-line tetris' is basically braindead tetris as well. She needs to get her T-spin game on.

Also, timing is key in PP vs T. It's her job to throw the garbage at moments where it messes up the puyo player, it's not just about playing tetris well.

Cerium

Question, how much is this on the eShop? Is it still cheaper than physical?

I'm thinking of cancelling my physical preorder and going digital simply because of the format of the game and how wonderfully convenient digital has been for me.

Rated-G

Not sure if it's already been discussed here, but an update was just released for the Japanese version of the game for the first time in 3 years and it changes some text, fixes some bugs, adds a kick function to the online lobbies, but most notably it removes the restriction on streaming story content, those scenes are no longer blocked. So maybe the English version will follow suit?

Dinjoralo

What even are these T-spins.

holy shit. Yes, that does look better...

But it also further backs up that easy set-ups for puyo are just way easier to complete than setting up/learning t-spins.
Honestly, I think it's fairly well balanced. It doesn't take a lot of garbage in Puyo for it to make anything you were setting up to be screwed up, while garbage doesn't mess you up too bad in Tetris unless you run out of space up top. With Tetris, you also kinda have to be in a different mindset where you're going for combos and T-spins, not just tetrises.

Unicorn

What even are these T-spins.

Honestly, I think it's fairly well balanced. It doesn't take a lot of garbage in Puyo for it to make anything you were setting up to be screwed up, while garbage doesn't mess you up too bad in Tetris unless you run out of space up top. With Tetris, you also kinda have to be in a different mindset where you're going for combos and T-spins, not just tetrises.

garbage that is adjacent to any clear gets removed and potentially adds to chains making garbage useable. line clears of tetris garbage isn't as versatile - at least at this casual of a level.

3 chain in Puyo only adds 4 lines to Tetris, and a 4-line clear in Tetris sends like two rows of garbage to Puyo.

What you might have been experiencing is the margin time mechanic, where after 96 seconds the game starts going into sudden death and gradually increases the multiplier in the Puyo garbage formula. Against Puyo, Tetris also has a margin time mechanic but it doesn't work in the same way; you can see it in effect in this part of this video
https://youtu.be/w6sN-kB0HSE?t=72

So, is it possible to just play puyo puyo on its own in single player? I have had it pre ordered for a while now, but I've never actually found out if this is the case.
Absolutely. You have options to play just Tetris with different rulesets, Puyo with different rulesets, and a fusion.
This is basically the definitive version of both Puyo and Tetris with a full story mode and online features.

RRockman

Banned
So is this where we will discuss OT titles? asumming one wasn't made for the Japanese release?

I submit

Puyo Puyo Tetris OT: Dropping sandwiches all day long.

Unicorn

Also to answer my own question: Arcade controls DO NOT disable directional input for hard drop, even with hard drop now being R.

Sad. Wish there were more control settings (are there more customization options in full game?).

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| Puyo pansies beat Tetris thugs

garbage that is adjacent to any clear gets removed and potentially adds to chains making garbage useable. line clears of tetris garbage isn't as versatile - at least at this casual of a level.

Puyo garbage falls from the top, blocking off access to chains and forcing animation delay. Tetris garbage rises from the bottom so it doesn't impede your current build, appears nearly instantly, and actually gives you real blocks to continue clearing with. With plucky RNG it will sometimes just give you a free tetris setup

MrPanic

Also to answer my own question: Arcade controls DO NOT disable directional input for hard drop, even with hard drop now being R.

Sad. Wish there were more control settings (are there more customization options in full game?).

You can turn off hard drop in the settings just before the match.

thefro

Under settings, there's a toggle to turn hard drop on/off in the demo.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Puyo garbage is just "filler." It doesn't add damage to any Puyo chains when you clear it.

Tetris garbage counts as real blocks when you clear them, so they can be used to create more tetrises / combos / T-spins.

You can turn off hard drop in the settings just before the match.

He's asking if there's a way to assign hard drop to only a button and not the d-pad.

MrPanic

Does it turn it completely off, or just the directional input. Still want to be able to use it if logged to a button.

Completely off indeed. On what controller are you having trouble with accidental hard drops? I heard there were some complaints about faulty d-pads on pro controllers in a neogaf thread.

Unicorn

Completely off indeed. On what controller are you having trouble with accidental hard drops? I heard there were some complaints about faulty d-pads on pro controllers in a neogaf thread.

Playing MP with split joycon (with straps attached, for all that matters [grip-wise])

Dinjoralo

Y'know, I'd totally love giving an OT a try, at some point. I know my way around Blender and Paint.Net. I'd need at least a week, though.

What you might have been experiencing is the margin time mechanic, where after 96 seconds the game starts going into sudden death and gradually increases the multiplier in the Puyo garbage formula. Against Puyo, Tetris also has a margin time mechanic but it doesn't work in the same way; you can see it in effect in this part of this video
https://youtu.be/w6sN-kB0HSE?t=72
Is the little Warning sign what tells you Margin Time is active?

Is the little Warning sign what tells you Margin Time is active?

Nah it's only for when Tetris is about to do something that will guaranteed kill the Puyo player. Normally it only shows up at very high rush chains for Tetris. There is no margin time indicator in PPT.

Also, margin time is disabled in pure TvT matches, so every once in a while you'll come across a replay with a grueling 10min+ battle where they just keep going until one of them makes a misdrop and collapses.

Klart

Is there a demo of this on the JAP PSN? If so, could anyone provide me a link, cause I couldn't find it...

pagrab

Just curious, because I couldn't get it from the demo. Is there a mode where two players can play each other and both play the same game (either both play Tetris or both play Puyo Puyo)?

japtor

Try out (or look up) the other controls. There's some that put rotate on up rather than hard drop iirc.

When playing with a single joycon (and having a crapload of misdrops to the left/right) I ended up using a one hand mode to use the dpad, and awkwardly used my other hand to hit the rotate/hold on the Z shoulder buttons.

As for OT title, since it keeps getting asked, "yes it has single player endless modes too"

Edit: guess I was way too late heh:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=234560271
Just curious, because I couldn't get it from the demo. Is there a mode where two players can play each other and both play the same game (either both play Tetris or both play Puyo Puyo)?
In the demo you pick multi, then upper left option (upper right one is swap mode), then when you pick your character you pick Puyo Puyo or Tetris. By default the left side characters are Puyo and the right are Tetris, but you can switch to whichever game after you select the character.

pagrab

In the demo you pick multi, then upper left option (upper right one is swap mode), then when you pick your character you pick Puyo Puyo or Tetris. By default the left side characters are Puyo and the right are Tetris, but you can switch to whichever game after you select the character.

Thanks. I did not see this.

sonto340

I'm having this exact issue with the pro controller. When I try to play Tetris really fast I make a million wrong drops by mistake. This doesn't happen at all in handheld mode, wtf?
Split d pad is a god send for Tetris. No more accidental diagonals forcing blocks down in the wrong place.

That feeling when you got killed by puyo players doing an insane combo chain :'-(

Shit got me stressed guys, I just got absolutely shitted on back to back by four puyo players who pulled off these crazy chains. It was incredible that they were able to think that far ahead and infuriating as well.

Still loving the game. Can never get enough Tetris.

Top Bottom