• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Blader

boiled goose

good with gravy
I still haven't been able to force my way through this.

It's just painful.

There's just so many bad choices.
A clear example of bad non foreshadowing that leads nowhere so why waste time showing it instead of developing things that matter
the dad training to fight only to be killed randomly

Spoke too soon maybe lol.

Still. I just really dislike Danny as a character. He keeps claiming to know what he's doing, yet he is clueless. He's like a Fucking child. For someone who claims to have trained to control his emotions he's really bad at it.

Vespa

Finally slogged my way through to the end of S1. Dear lord. Thank god for
Ward
, at least. Most entertaining part of the show.

Just did the same and slog is exactly how I would describe trying to get through it. My god, the pacing is so bad and so much of the plot isn't interesting, I feel like they stretched what should have been some background character development done over two or three episodes over the entire season. Danny doesn't even seem to have developed in any way, I dunno, he just stopped being angry suddenly with no real substantial reason why. meh.

Luke Cage had issues especially in the second half but it was still entertaining. I was hoping the action would at least be as good as Daredevil but I swear they go from somewhat decent action scenes to cropping out the fighters and cutting on the hits to give it that strange Hollywood 'quick edits = intense action' feel.

Dysun

Just finished up, it managed to scrape its way to mediocre from below-average.
I think there's a marked improvement after
Ward kills Harold, and Colleen and the Hand are revealed

+1 to Ward being the most interesting part of the show

Jetman

Yeah, finished it earlier this week. Still not Luke Cage levels of bad, but almost. The action scenes in this dragged it up for me.

Someone mentioned it earlier above, but for a focused Kung Fu warrior, he has the self control of an angry child. Is there a reason for this in the story canon?
Kept thinking maybe this dragon he confronted possessed him somehow and that it's making him rage all the time?

That and wtf was up with Joy in that last scene? Why would she want to kill Danny out of nowhere? Her character seemed horrified at the thought of killing anyone but now she's targeting Danny? Just...what?

And that final fight with Harold? Ugh. Besides having so much trouble taking out a dude who has a little bit of boxing training, why did Danny run after he Knocks the gun out of Harold's hand? That should have been the end of the fight, but Harold picks the gun back up and the fight continues.

And by far the most offensive thing about this show is how it made The Hand, a fucking bad ass group of dangerous, mysterious ninjas in the first 2 seasons of DD into lame ass non-ninja fighters, sometimes even in business suits who allow themselves to get beat in a fight by fucking 'zero fight training Claire'. Don't even get me started on the Chinese drug factory guarded by 2 (!) people plus a lame Drunken Master.

Ugh.

Edit: and Marco Polo got canceled????? Oh my God.....that fucking sucks. How is this the first I've heard of it?

Sir Doom

I actually took 2 weeks break before I finished the last episode.

EH.

as a series at least we got Coleen, Ward, and Sister. They were the interesting parts of the series

Just did the same and slog is exactly how I would describe trying to get through it. My god, the pacing is so bad and so much of the plot isn't interesting, I feel like they stretched what should have been some background character development done over two or three episodes over the entire season. Danny doesn't even seem to have developed in any way, I dunno, he just stopped being angry suddenly with no real substantial reason why. meh.

Luke Cage had issues especially in the second half but it was still entertaining. I was hoping the action would at least be as good as Daredevil but I swear they go from somewhat decent action scenes to cropping out the fighters and cutting on the hits to give it that strange Hollywood 'quick edits = intense action' feel.

Right? Really had to make it a set thing to even keep watching (my husband liked it mildly so we'd pull it up every other night just to be up and up for when all the shows converge). The pacing, as you said, was just bad, but Danny's what really killed it. It's not meant as a slight on the actor who I liked just fine in GoT, but Danny Rand was just excruciating to watch. I understand the character's motivations, but it's not fun to watch a child in a man's body just walk around messing everything up without any follow through or self-awareness. I'm with you on the fights, too. Maybe I've just read too many comics, but Danny doesn't look like he has the strength or speed to shadow box much less fight. Sigh.

Just finished up, it managed to scrape its way to mediocre from below-average.
I think there's a marked improvement after
Ward kills Harold, and Colleen and the Hand are revealed

+1 to Ward being the most interesting part of the show

Damn straight! The Meachum family fuckery was the only compelling part. Ward started off as a one note dick and by the end he was the most interesting one to watch. A show around their maneuverings would have been far more fun than the Adventures of the Great Man Child.

Yeah, finished it earlier this week. Still not Luke Cage levels of bad, but almost. The action scenes in this dragged it up for me.

Someone mentioned it earlier above, but for a focused Kung Fu warrior, he has the self control of an angry child. Is there a reason for this in the story canon?
Kept thinking maybe this dragon he confronted possessed him somehow and that it's making him rage all the time?

That and wtf was up with Joy in that last scene? Why would she want to kill Danny out of nowhere? Her character seemed horrified at the thought of killing anyone but now she's targeting Danny? Just...what?

And that final fight with Harold? Ugh. Besides having so much trouble taking out a dude who has a little bit of boxing training, why did Danny run after he Knocks the gun out of Harold's hand? That should have been the end of the fight, but Harold picks the gun back up and the fight continues.

And by far the most offensive thing about this show is how it made The Hand, a fucking bad ass group of dangerous, mysterious ninjas in the first 2 seasons of DD into lame ass non-ninja fighters, sometimes even in business suits who allow themselves to get beat in a fight by fucking 'zero fight training Claire'. Don't even get me started on the Chinese drug factory guarded by 2 (!) people plus a lame Drunken Master.

Ugh.

Edit: and Marco Polo got canceled????? Oh my God.....that fucking sucks. How is this the first I've heard of it?

I had the same thought as you about the
rage, but then...nothing. At least that would have made sense. For Joy, I'm glad it wasn't just me. How on Earth do they shift from the Joy who believes in Danny and knows he was set up by her own father to Joy who's considering offing him? It's ridiculous. The writing was so, so disappointing in this show. For the Harold thing, though, I thought that maybe it was meant to keep him talking to hear more about what happened between him and his father. Maybe?

I kind of liked the Drunken Master, tbh. Danny's plot armor is the only reason he won that one.

Lach

So I'm at episode 10 and I'm still confused how
the board could have possibly fired Danny, as he is the majority shareholder. I mean they probably could decide to fire him from the position. But could he not just fire the board at the next shareholder meeting? edit: and just call an emergency shareholder meeting?

It's been really hard for me to continue watching this, but it's gotten a little better. Almost everyone on the show is far more interesting to watch than Danny. I think I'm only up to episode 6.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's been really hard for me to continue watching this, but it's gotten a little better. Almost everyone on the show is far more interesting to watch than Danny. I think I'm only up to episode 6.

This is a near-universal opinion, I think. The writing for the show in general isn't great, but for Danny in particular it's just bad.

hobozero

I would love to see a comparison of Total Time Spent Watching People Fight vs Total Time Spent Watching People In Board Rooms. I bet they'd be close.

Valonquar

Made a quick edit to summarize my feelings on the show:
POmY8vi.jpg

Patryn

So I'm at episode 10 and I'm still confused how
the board could have possibly fired Danny, as he is the majority shareholder. I mean they probably could decide to fire him from the position. But could he not just fire the board at the next shareholder meeting? edit: and just call an emergency shareholder meeting?

That's my exact problem.
He could unilaterally replace the entire board, as his word is the final word with his 51 percent. There's no way they'd "fire" him, as they'd have to know that he could just replace them all by himself. I'm not even sure if they could fire him, honestly, but he sure as hell could fire them.

Really, really stupid.

Finally managed to power through it. By far my least favorite of any of the Marvel TV series so far. None of the characters or their actions made sense, and everything was just terribly boring.

With Danny's rage problem:
For about half the season I was convinced that Danny actually died in the plane crash, and that the monks used the same resurrection voodoo that the Hand has to bring him back to life. So his rage outbursts are similar to the outbursts Harold has after being resurrected. Of course this theory went no where seeing they never explained what the cause of them was.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Finally managed to power through it. By far my least favorite of any of the Marvel TV series so far. None of the characters or their actions made sense, and everything was just terribly boring.

With Danny's rage problem:
For about half the season I was convinced that Danny actually died in the plane crash, and that the monks used the same resurrection voodoo that the Hand has to bring him back to life. So his rage outbursts are similar to the outbursts Harold has after being resurrected. Of course this theory went no where seeing they never explained what the cause of them was.

My understanding is that it was just plain old emotional trauma + keeping feelings bottled up.

My understanding is that it was just plain old emotional trauma + keeping feelings bottled up.

Basically. More specifically
it's emotional trauma compounded by the nature of K'un Lun's training which both demands the bottling of emotions while being massively abusive. Danny should, by all rights, be extremely volatile as a result. My theory is this is a major reason why Danny isn't "interesting" as expressed by many viewers. His worldview is the only way he knows to cope. In K'un Lun, this is just the way things are and everyone knows it. Coming back to the US is jarring for him in a more subtle aspect than what many viewers expect. They expect him to be socially awkward in conventional ways like language and colloquiallisms but he was old enough to have a pretty firm grasp on those things when the crash happened. Instead it's the complexity of people's motivations and emotions as well as how incongruous their words and actions are with those motivations and emotions. He can't parse this at all and due to the nature of K'un Lun's training that causes him to go from 0 to a very violent 100 at seemingly random times. He's trying to navigate a complex social environment with a set of tools that aren't just lacking but entirely innappropriate for the world he's entered. No matter which path he tries to take (altruistic good or physical enforcement) it's too blunt and broad and backfires in every situation that isn't literally him vs ultra evil bad guys flat out attacking.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the series and thought it was awful honestly, so much worse than the other Marvel shows. The acting was terrible from most involved (Ward was pretty great, though), especially the Iron Fist himself who was a sniveling little wimp who had laughable anger outbursts like a small child who wasn't allowed to eat ice cream for breakfast, just a completely unlikable main character in every way. The fight scenes were just as bad, when you compare them to Daredevil it's like amateur hour.

I really can't think of anything I did enjoy about the show, well other than the opening credits and theme music but that was literally it.

I just finished the series and thought it was awful honestly, so much worse than the other Marvel shows. The acting was terrible from most involved (Ward was pretty great, though), especially the Iron Fist himself who was a sniveling little wimp who had laughable anger outbursts like a small child who wasn't allowed to eat ice cream for breakfast, just a completely unlikable main character in every way. The fight scenes were just as bad, when you compare them to Daredevil it's like amateur hour.

I really can't think of anything I did enjoy about the show, well other than the opening credits and theme music but that was literally it.

C'mon, you know you clapped like the rest of us when
Ward finally knifed Harold.

I feel sorry for the cast on this one. The writing was so bad. They could have gotten a better actor for Danny Rand. I'm sure there is talent out there just waiting for a chance. Also, it feels like this show was rushed big time! My wife came in on some parts and thought I was watching Stranger Things over because it was just rehashed music sounded like it was cut straight from Stranger Things. For it to be a Kung Fu show, there was hardly any fighting and when there was, it sucked really badly. I think this was a rush to get The Defenders out by this year. Hopefully, they will redeem themselves on Season 2 or just merge this hero into the The Defenders show.

I laughed when he had trouble with Harold on the rooftop...the worst ending ever.

Ward
slamming the car door on his hand to get painkillers, then having to dump dead bodies with only one functioning hand.

This fucking show man.....
mjlol.png

The stuff with the Meachums is so good I can overlook anything else.

edit: The whole scene of Ward
Struggling to get the bodies in the car
felt like something straight out Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul.

Feltrol

Banned
Any news about a confirmation of Season 2? Luke Cage didn't take this long for it to have it confirmed, if I recall correctly.

Minamu

So i'm slogging through this (ep 5 atm) and having a decentish time with it and..

tumblr_on0ov0KMcA1qe3p9bo3_540.gif

Ward is MVP here, huh?
He had crazy levels of character development imo, more than most, if not all. Hated him at first, loved him in the end. Cool actor too.

kunonabi

Somebody saaaaave meeeee!

Ten year long origin stoory saaaaaaaave meeeeee!

And I loved every damn minute of it.

There were times when smallville put out some amazing tv and tapped into what makes superman so special better than any other live action representation. There were other times where it was probably the worst thing on tv. In the end it was the worth the 10 year investment for me too.

As for iron fist its ok. It doesn't reach the highs that cage and Jones did but it didnt have the awful characters, aside from claire, and downward slides that they did. Id be down for a season 2 in all honesty.

AndersK

He had crazy levels of character development imo, more than most, if not all. Hated him at first, loved him in the end. Cool actor too.

Yea, the first time he was om screen i pegged him for a cookie-cutter suit. Maybe he's elevated by some if the other mehness sorrounding him.

But then again. Just watched ep 6 and 7. And they were...genuinely good? Don't get me wrong, this is a barebones-ass adaptation of Brubaker/Fraction Iron fist that clearly needed more time in the oven and no Scott Buck, but i am surprised to the extent i'm enjoying it. Still the worst of the 4 shows so far but its actually pulling me in and surprising me. Ward at the end of episode 7. Oof. Mvp.

Going in with dashed expectations seems good so far.

El Topo

Any news about a confirmation of Season 2? Luke Cage didn't take this long for it to have it confirmed, if I recall correctly.

Luke Cage was released 9/30/16 and got a second season announcement 12/4/16, i.e. it took 65 days. You might have to wait a few weeks longer (until 5/21) for that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Yeah, a lot of shit happened to him and you changed the way she saw him as a person because of the things you learn about his past. Danny is just Danny from beginning to end.

I'm 5 episodes in and I can't believe how slow 'story' is progressing. Turning Iron Fist into a show mainly focusing on corporate bs should've been thrown out during the show's concept stage. It feels like a retread of the first season of Arrow without the good aspects that season had.
The fights are largely uninteresting, and I have a feeling they won't improve further I continue into the show.

kmag

I'm 5 episodes in and I can't believe how slow 'story' is progressing. Turning Iron Fist into a show mainly focusing on corporate bs should've been thrown out during the show's concept stage. It feels like a retread of the first season of Arrow without the good aspects that season had.
The fights are largely uninteresting, and I have a feeling they won't improve further I continue into the show.

I've just finished it the Meachums were the best thing about it. I didn't mind Colleen too much, although I find that archetype dull. Ward is the MVP, with Harold being unsettling until the scenery chewing at the end.

Typical Netflix pacing issues, and some really, really questionable plotting. Like most of the Marvel netflix shows, there's a few decent ideas they've undercooked.

I didn't think it was awful, or really that much of a slog (I thought it was pretty breezy but I basically watched like 3 a week) but it lacked any real swag for lack of a better word. A more charismatic actor for Danny would have helped a lot.

Card Boy

Banned
I won't lie i actually enjoyed this more than i should of. I was expecting the biggest turd going by the initial GAF reactions and reviews but it kept dragging me in. The Meechams where definitely highlight of the show. Fight scenes where OK, not as good as Daredevil but not the worst. I don't know enough about the Iron Fist character and my only exposure to him was in MvC3. The Iron Fist character in the show seems really weak, it seems like they make him look stronger in the Defenders trailers. My negatives where mostly around the shitty flashback effects and the Iron Fist character, everything else seem good. I just don't get how he is meant to be the best kung fu master chosen for the Iron Fist but is a pussy.

#teamdavos

Looking back on this show after a few months...

It's still not good. It's not as bad as I thought of it at the time, but the issues that people bring up with other Netflix shows come up really hard in this series. The pacing, questionable plot contrivances and a really poor script or direction.

It did feel like the actors were really trying to give it their all, but the direction they received and or the script they worked with, was just awful.

For me this show needed to let the mysticism take a back seat. If you don't know how to tackle it, then don't tackle it. Once your more comfortable with the character bring it back in. It would have served better as an escalation story. Danny returns from the dead to reclaim him company, but finds it corrupt and the currents controllers set against him. The show should have unfolded with a slow realisation that Danny is more than what he seems to be, while slowly scraping control of the company.

HF2014

Decide to give this show a try because of Defenders even if i read bad thing about it. What a Chi-tty waste of time. After every freakin episodes, i had to convince myself to continue to go forward, to see if i would understand/learn more bout the Iron Fist. Seriously, its a bad caracter, bad story , bad at every freakin thing. If i could rate it more than a thumb down on netflix, i would. Fighting scenes are horrible, the intro is horrible. I just hope Defenders is good and we dont see this caracter too offen. I like Daredevil, Jones, Cage, but this Iron Fist, caracter, hes just freakin boring and not entertaining.

A good 1 out of 10 i give to this show.

Dalek

Finally finished this. I didn't think it was as bad as I was lead to believe. I liked all the characters - EXCEPT Danny. Everything about how he was written-being naive to the point of stupidity and he just comes across as teh last person to be a Kung Fu champion.

Colleen, The Meachums, Bakuto and Davos-all great. Ward was by far the MVP. Great character.

Pacing was an issue for sure-cut down 3 episodes and it would have paced a lot better.

I'm not sure if it's just writing or Finn was miscast as well-but Danny just comes off as inept, whiny, moody and boring.

Also-again, total misfire showing barely anything of K'un Lun. As others have said-this is like the biggest example ever of "Show, don't tell."

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
this show had one hell of a campaign to sink it. it wasnt terrible as some would have me believe

How is Danny Rand not Shadow the Hedgehog...?

"Joy- this is what you wanted, right? This is my promise I made to you . . ."

Series is ok I'm not a fan of throw away deaths ...they kill the tension and mood of the storylines as they get intersting.

Justice for Kyle BTW Ice Cream Scooper wtf???

Alright I have to ask.. Why is ward getting all this love? I loved him too.. But not for the reasons everyone seems to. Obviously the writing is horrible but damn the lines he delivered were so monotone and with no emotion 90% of the time. It cracked me the hell up. Am I crazy?!?

Alright I have to ask.. Why is ward getting all this love? I loved him too.. But not for the reasons everyone seems to. Obviously the writing is horrible but damn the lines he delivered were so monotone and with no emotion 90% of the time. It cracked me the hell up. Am I crazy?!?

I loved the way he delivered his lines. Really made him interesting and stand out in this super meh show. Same with Harold. Really, the Meachums are the only reason this show wasn't as shitty as the final season of Dexter or The Inhumans. Really hope Marvel has dumped Scott Buck for good now...

Top Bottom