• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Cody_D165

Banned
I've gotten hooked on Picross thanks to Club Nintendo offering Mario's Picross as a downloadable reward and I'm probably going to snag the Picross e stuff from the 3DS eShop.

I know the DS has Picross DS and Picross 3D - do either of those come recommended?

daydream

Banned
I've gotten hooked on Picross thanks to Club Nintendo offering Mario's Picross as a downloadable reward and I'm probably going to snag the Picross e stuff from the 3DS eShop.

I know the DS has Picross DS and Picross 3D - do either of those come recommended?

They're both great Picross games. DS is obviously "standard", solid Picross, excellent amount of content, the touch screen is perfect for that series. 3D.. man, I love that they came up with 3D. Fantastic twist on the formula.

Cody_D165

Banned
They're both great Picross games. DS is obviously "standard", solid Picross, excellent amount of content, the touch screen is perfect for that series. 3D.. man, I love that they came up with 3D. Fantastic twist on the formula.

Yeah I'm particularly intrigued by the 3D version. Will probably end up snagging both at some point, Picross is quite the relaxing puzzler.

n64coder

Just bought CIB pokemon HeartGold...

DAMN when did HG/SS get so expensive/"rare"! Of course pokemon games are notorious for holding their value but these titles only increase with passing time! Guess its the production limitations OF pokewalker included?/potential lower sales due to being a remake?

How much did you pay for it?

Has anyone seen the DS Lite still selling in stores anywhere or do you think it has been cleared out?

Those Nintendo DS Lites that are selling from Hong Kong/China, are they legitimate systems or are they refurbished with knock off cases? I went to see one on Craigslist by some guy who purchased it on Ebay. It had a Japanese style serial number (no bar code) and was in a US styled box. The power button didn't have a good feel and the stylus didn't go in and out smoothly like it does with an official system. It did play games ok. So I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that it's a knockoff.

The guy was trying to tell me that it's a Japanese system but the lettering on the back did not have any Japanese characters. The included manual was missing pages (Supposed to have ~27 pages but was more like 16). So I think it was a Chinese refurb.

My daughter still plays her DS because the hinge is now broken (flops too easily) so I've been trying to score a very good condition or new DS Lite on ebay/Craigslist/Neogaf.

Cody_D165

Banned
Has anyone seen the DS Lite still selling in stores anywhere or do you think it has been cleared out?

Most retail stores in my area seem to have cleared out DS consoles entirely except for the used consoles at Gamestop and independently-owned game stores. Only 3DS/2DS stuff now.

How much did you pay for it?

Those Nintendo DS Lites that are selling from Hong Kong/China, are they legitimate systems or are they refurbished with knock off cases? I went to see one on Craigslist by some guy who purchased it on Ebay. It had a Japanese style serial number (no bar code) and was in a US styled box. The power button didn't have a good feel and the stylus didn't go in and out smoothly like it does with an official system. It did play games ok. So I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that it's a knockoff.

The guy was trying to tell me that it's a Japanese system but the lettering on the back did not have any Japanese characters. The included manual was missing pages (Supposed to have ~27 pages but was more like 16). So I think it was a Chinese refurb.

My daughter still plays her DS because the hinge is now broken (flops too easily) so I've been trying to score a very good condition or new DS Lite on ebay/Craigslist/Neogaf.

I bid for it on ebay and won it at 40$ (so cheaper than what GS sells the cart alone at ironically) but the game came out almost 4 years ago now lol dat value maintenance.

Also you should've taken advantage of GS online offer Black Friday for a ds lite at 40$! I snagged one!

Jagsrock

Banned
Sonic Chronicles is a pretty good and often overlooked game. It's a nice change of pace for the sonic series and it is a pretty decent rpg. The fights are enjoyable and the story and writing is entertaining. You can find it for under $15 and it's well worth it.

There needs to be a mention of Meteos in the OP. One of my favorite puzzle games ever.
meteos-1.jpg

cafemomo

Picked up FFCC: RoF today.

It's the only CC title I have never played. Hope it's good.

Also, I think there should be a import list on the OP. You know, for those awesome Japanese games that never saw the light of day in the west.

If I have the time, I'll write out a list.

terrisus

Just to follow-up on my post from a bit up-thread, I finally decided to jump on a DSi XL. So, getting one of the blue ones from eBay for $75 - refurbished, and missing the stylus (no big deal), but otherwise listed as 100% working. So, sometime next week that should come in and I'll be able to check it out. Definitely looking forward to that bigger screen.

Just rebought Wario Ware Touched for 99p...

I always had the weird memory that this is where the series started going downhill, but it's actually a much more enjoyable game than I remember. Infact, it's great!

Jackano

I actually have just a couple things cool for the DS:

Japanese Electoplankton complete with hologram box and crappy headphones :) I need to find the PAL version to take him company :) My US Zelda DSLite (OG box and game not on the picture but I have them), Another Code PAL which is hard to find now (I mean at least it's expensive) and a boxed PAL Club Nintendo G&W collection.

And this frakker:

I have two more copies unsealed of the PAL one (those things were 5-10€ brand-new at some point); The second game I have a Famitsu magazine/"official" walkthrough with a double soundtrack CDs (which is cool looking) but even with that I'm stuck in the final city :/ Very nice games but in japanese, it's really hard if you only have some notions of the language like me.
Anyway, Tingle's Balloon Fight who was a japanese Club Nintendo gift. I like this stuff. Oh yeah it's still Zelda but sometimes it's hard to remember it is!

Cody_D165

Banned
Just rebought Wario Ware Touched for 99p...

I always had the weird memory that this is where the series started going downhill, but it's actually a much more enjoyable game than I remember. Infact, it's great!

I love Touched, it's a great game. If you have both Touched and Twisted you can put them into the DS at the same time to unlock a little easter egg.

What are the most scarce and/or valuable DS games? Anything on the level of Zas for Game Boy, Shantae for GBC or Ninja Five-O for GBA?

I confess I had zero interest in the NDS/3DS when they came out, but after borrowing a NDS from a friend to play Strange Journey and Devil Survivor, I came to like it a lot.

I got a 3DS this year and I'm (very) slowly building up a nice collection for it, I don't live in the US so I have to import every game, be it in japanese or english. So far that's what I got

- Devil Survivor
- Devil Survivor 2
- Strange Journey
- 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
- Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
- Radiant Historia
- Infinite Space
- Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

I think that's it, though I haven't beaten them all, still gotta play Infinite Space, DeSu 2 and Castlevania.

Still, I'm thinking of buying a couple more titles soon, so I figure I'd ask two things to gaf

1 - What can you tell me about the game "Time Hollow"? Is it like 999 with multiple endings and stuff?

2 - Not sure if I got this right but Elite Beat Agents wasn't released in Japan? From what I read on wikipedia, it says it was like this
- Japan gets Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan in 2005
- Elite Beat Agents (being a spiritual sequel to the title above) is released in 2006
- Japan gets a sequel to Ouendan named Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 which implements the improvements seen on Elite Beat Agents

That's it? I kinda assumed at first that Elite Beat Agents was the localized version of Ouendan.

Chorazin

- Japan gets Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan in 2005
- Elite Beat Agents (being a spiritual sequel to the title above) is released in 2006
- Japan gets a sequel to Ouendan named Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 which implements the improvements seen on Elite Beat Agents

That's it? I kinda assumed at first that Elite Beat Agents was the localized version of Ouendan.

EBA is definitely not a localized version of Ouendan! It has the same gameplay but has its own new stories and all songs are English pop and rock songs.

Elite Beat Agents, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, and Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 are 3 different games with different soundtracks, stories, and features (numerous improvements between Ouendan 1 and EBA, addition of Hidden Mode between EBA and Ouendan 2... and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting about)

you should get them all they're all fucking great

Anyways, as I try to make my way through the Castlevania DS games and near the end of DoS, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't like Igavania games as much as I thought I did. I still like them quite a bit, particularly in the presentation department, but I just really don't like wandering around, trying to find where I'm supposed to go. Maybe I'm just too attached to classic-style Castlevania.

Thanks guys, gonna grab them all! They seem to be really fun and I've seen nothing but good praise for them. Also, it's not like they cost gazillions, so I'm sure it will be worth it.

I wish the Phoenix Wright games were easier to find in the UK. I remember having trouble finding the original when I first bought it 5/6? years ago.

Dual Destinies sounds excellent but it seems most people recommend playing the previous titles first. I only played the first and I can't really remember what happened.

Frolow

Banned
I wish the Phoenix Wright games were easier to find in the UK. I remember having trouble finding the original when I first bought it 5/6? years ago.

Dual Destinies sounds excellent but it seems most people recommend playing the previous titles first. I only played the first and I can't really remember what happened.
You can find all the games on Amazon for about £19.99 a piece.

choodi

Banned
Anyways, as I try to make my way through the Castlevania DS games and near the end of DoS, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't like Igavania games as much as I thought I did. I still like them quite a bit, particularly in the presentation department, but I just really don't like wandering around, trying to find where I'm supposed to go. Maybe I'm just too attached to classic-style Castlevania.

I agree with you.

My opinion is that much of the hype is generated by gaming media who more or less grew up with the Metroidvania-style games and were too young to appreciate the simple pleasure of the classic-style Castlevania games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I agree with you.

My opinion is that much of the hype is generated by gaming media who more or less grew up with the Metroidvania-style games and were too young to appreciate the simple pleasure of the classic-style Castlevania games.

Well, I think it's probably more that we haven't gotten a classic-style Castlevania since 1995, with the SNES' Dracula X*. Metroidvania is just... what Castlevania is now. Regardless of age, people have just accepted that Castlevania has moved on, and the Metroidvania games aren't compared to the classics.

Or was... before Mercury Steam fucked it all up.

*okay, so there was the excellent Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare, but nobody played that one, even among the enthusiast gamer set.

Marz

Well, I think it's probably more that we haven't gotten a classic-style Castlevania since 1995, with the SNES' Dracula X*. Metroidvania is just... what Castlevania is now. Regardless of age, people have just accepted that Castlevania has moved on, and the Metroidvania games aren't compared to the classics.

Or was... before Mercury Steam fucked it all up.

*okay, so there was the excellent Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare, but nobody played that one, even among the enthusiast gamer set.

Castlevania Chronicles on the PS1 and Legends on the GBC both came out after Dracula X

choodi

Banned
So I decided to start cataloguing my DS collection over the Christmas break.

Here is my current list. I know there are still some games around the house that I haven't found, but I'll leave it at this for the moment.

1. 100 Classic Book Collection
2. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
4. Aliens: Infestation
5. Animal Crossing: Wild World
6. Anno 1701
7. Another Code
8. Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
9. Away: Shuffle Dungeon
10. Bangai-O: Spirits
11. Big Brain Academy
12. Brain Age
13. Brain Age 2
14. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
15. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
16. Chibi Robo: Park Patrol
17. Clubhouse Games
18. Contact
19. Contra 4
20. Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat?
21. CrossworDS
22. Custom Robo: Arena
23. Dementium: The Ward
24. Dragon Quest 4: Chapters of the Chosen
25. Dragon Quest 6: Realms of Reverie
26. Eledees: The Adventures of Kai and Zero
27. Elite Beat Agents
28. Etrian Odyssey
29. Exit DS
30. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
31. Final Fantasy 4
32. Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
33. Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
34. Game and Watch Collection
35. Game and Watch Collection 2
36. Glory Days 2
37. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
38. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
39. Henry Hayworth in the Puzzling Adventure
40. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
41. Ivy the Kiwi
42. Jump Superstars
43. Kirby: Canvas Curse
44. Korg DS-10
45. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
46. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
47. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
48. Lost in Blue
49. Luminous Arc
50. Luminous Arc 2
51. Lunar Knights
52. Make 10: A Journey of Numbers
53. Mario Kart DS
54. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
55. Meteos
56. Metroid Prime Pinball
57. Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
58. Monopoly/Boggle/Yahtzee/Battleship
59. Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
60. Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir
61. Nanostray
62. Nanostray 2
63. New International Track and Field
64. The New York Times Crosswords
65. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
66. Ninjatown
67. Nintendo's: Chihuahua and Friends
68. Nintendogs: Daschound and Friends
69. Nintendo DS Browser
70. Nintendo Touch Golf
71. Orcs and Elves
72. PacPix
73. Panzer Tactics DS
74. Phantasy Star 0
75. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
76. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
77. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
78. Picross DS
79. Platinum Sudoku
80. Pokémon: Platinum Version
81. Polarium
82. Professor Layton and the Curious Village
83. Professor Layton and the Lost Future
84. Rhythm Heaven
85. Rune Factory
86. Slitherlink
87. Sonic Rush
88. Spectral Force: Genesis
89. Super Princess Peach
90. Tetris DS
91. The World Ends With You
92. Touch master DS
93. Trauma Center: Under the Knife
94. Undercover: Dual Motives
95. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
96. Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble
97. Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise
98. WarioWare Touched
99. Yoshi's Island DS
100. Yoshi Touch and Go
101. Zookeeper

I'll be doing some photos of the collection once I move into my new house in about a month, so I might update with some pics.

maxcriden

Anyone have any suggestions for where one might be able to pick up DS games for cheap?

I can't be bothered with the specific hassle of eBay for the most part so I usually find good, reliable sales and prices on Amazon under used DS games. B/S/T thread is a great bet too. You can always just post what you want to buy and see if anyone replies/PMs you.

Cody_D165

Banned
Anyone have any suggestions for where one might be able to pick up DS games for cheap?

Gamestop has boatloads for Buy 2 Get 1, but they all lack cases. If you're a cartridge-only fan, then by all means go for it! They've got a lot of great games for cheap. Some stores might also have extra cases in the back if you ask the employees, but most stores have thrown them out or given them away by now.

Amazon is a good bet if you wanna grab some decently-priced new/used copies; just be sure to check the descriptions of the item you're buying if it's sold by a third-party vendor.

Thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets are great for any video games in general, but I have a feeling now that the next gen is here, we'll be seeing a lot of last gen stuff, DS/Wii in particular, hitting these places soon.

khaaan

Anybody have any opinions on if you should chase popular DS titles or more obscure and unpopular stuff? I can't tell which will end up being more expensive. I doubt there'll be a huge demand for something like Megaman Zero Collection while something like Bowsers Inside Story will probably jump in price. Heck, Partners in Time is already fairly expensive.

So I have a modest collection that I'm looking to start expanding upon soon. I've mostly been playing the games on my 3DS up until now but I decided I wanted a DS Lite now for all its dedicated benefits.

Anyway, why is it so incredibly hard to find a decent DS Lite on ebay or anything similar. It seems like 90% of them are sold out of Hong Kong and I can only assume are fake. Anybody have a track record of those?

I think the one thing that really disappoints me about DS collecting is that cases for these games already seem impossible to find. Between careless owners and Gamestop, it seems like more than three quarters of DS games in circulation are without their case.

choodi

Banned
I think the one thing that really disappoints me about DS collecting is that cases for these games already seem impossible to find. Between careless owners and Gamestop, it seems like more than three quarters of DS games in circulation are without their case.

Yep. I can't understand it either

Guys my DS Lite is starting to fail on me, the hinge is already broken and sometimes it can't tell if I have a game in the cartridge slot.

Should I buy a DSi XL or just use my 3DS for DS games from now on?

Guys my DS Lite is starting to fail on me, the hinge is already broken and sometimes it can't tell if I have a game in the cartridge slot.

Should I buy a DSi XL or just use my 3DS for DS games from now on?
DS upscaling on 3DS is nasty, but there is also a pixel-mapped option (windowboxed with black borders). Of course, the decision is up to you but I much prefer playing DS games on DS hardware to avoid stretching or windowboxing.

DS upscaling on 3DS is nasty, but there is also a pixel-mapped option (windowboxed with black borders). Of course, the decision is up to you but I much prefer playing DS games on DS hardware to avoid stretching or windowboxing.
ha

i think i might just use my 3ds for it cause i have shitty eyes and it doesn't look that bad to me

wait the region-locking on the 3ds doesn't apply to ds games does it?

Expensive DS games did someone say. Off the top of my head, this:
938413_97528_front.jpg

I love Touched, it's a great game. If you have both Touched and Twisted you can put them into the DS at the same time to unlock a little easter egg.
Hmm if I get 5 minutes I'll try that (EU Touched & US Twisted so it might not work, I mean they were still planning an EU twisted release so it might be coded to work with that non-existent version).

wait the region-locking on the 3ds doesn't apply to ds games does it?
Only those which are DSi enhanced which is basically any first party game with wi-fi support post DSi launch and a few third party games (mainly Ubisoft as slightly better anti piracy*). Watch for cartridges that start with TWL- (as opposed to NTR-).

Odd exception is Pokemon Black/White 1/2 are DSi enhanced but region free though only for the English versions.

*-As in ROM would not dump properly or need some files stripping to work.

Cool part about playing DS games on 3DS is that they get tracked by the Activity Log (or at least I think that's cool). If I didn't have a strange aversion to frequent cartridge switching, for that reason alone I would always play DS games on my 3DS.

Marz

Yea GameStop not having cases for DS games is really a bummer, especially since the one by my house gas tons of games for really cheap.

Cody_D165

Banned
Yea GameStop not having cases for DS games is really a bummer, especially since the one by my house gas tons of games for really cheap.

In the past I've had good luck by simply asking them if they have any empty cases in the back, but I think by now they've all probably been thrown out. Few months back I talked to some dudes who got a ton of them out of the Gamestop dumpster, lol.

Hit the jackpot today. Guy is selling a complete Soulsilver, Diamond, NSMB and a few other decent random games PLUS that limited edition black Pokemon DS Lite. For $75.

Today was a good day.

Top Bottom