• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh thats you! Ha ha

Did you find me on near or just add me from here? Im curious. Either way its awesome.
How old are you by the way? An age difference could make this lunch man-date a bit weird :(

33 here

I added you from the Lumines thread, don't think I've seen you pop up on Near. I work in the Riata complex, which is where I've been using Near most of the time.

34 here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So we finished our match with some nice folks.....

Before hand fun and games. Thanks to all who turned out.

hsgphoto41ab9h.jpg

hsgphoto5rlz22.jpg

Chillin out and resting near the nice serene water. Such a scenic view!

hsgphoto6dpxkt.jpg

hsgphoto75gb5v.jpg

Before match (spirits up)

hsgphoto92yxb5.jpg

After match (now on phone with psychologist thanks guys :p)

hsgphoto10mplg2.jpg

It was very fun and everyone had a good time.

I am leaning that way too. I just hope Target has all the games I want.

Same here. I'm grabbing Uncharted and Hot Shots for sure, but would like to have Ninja Gaiden as my third game. Not sure if it'll be available early in the week. I'm traveling on the 22nd, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Gamestop will have a midnight launch so I can grab my Vita before I leave town.

Bumhead

Banned
Have to admit, although I ordered HSG ahead of release next week, I wasn't sure if I should keep my order..

But those community features look great.

What size memory card are people going with? I'm tempted to pick up a Vita but the only game that interests me right now is Escape Plan (and to a lesser extent Hot Shots Golf). The only thing stopping me is the memory card pricing.

Reclaimer

Fuck. Cracked and bought Virtua Tennis. Added my name to the google doc.

I haven't had a tennis game since the first VT on Dreamcast, so I figure why not.

This console will be the death of me... What a great launch!

demolitio

http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/16/developers-leaving-vita-for-3ds/

"Japanese newspaper Nikkei (the first to break news of Kazuo Hirai’s appointment as CEO, which Sony denied and then later confirmed) is reporting that developers are abandoning PlayStation Vita projects in favor of supporting the Nintendo 3DS."

Seems a wee bit premature.

Those crazy developers jumping ship on a system not even out in all markets yet...

I swear, any and every site is looking for hits these days with garbage articles meant to stir up fanboy wars and controversy.

TheExodu5

Banned
What size memory card are people going with? I'm tempted to pick up a Vita but the only game that interests me right now is Escape Plan (and to a lesser extent Hot Shots Golf). The only thing stopping me is the memory card pricing.

32GB, as I plan to go DD only. That'll give me enough space for a quite a few games and some TV shows as well.

I could have gotten smaller, but I figure that since it's a proprietary storage format, it's probably not going to drop in price all that quickly.

I also don't want to deal with multiple cards, so I rather get one big one now.

sfedai0

Banned

I haven't had a tennis game since the first VT on Dreamcast, so I figure why not.

Same, and DC VT was the shit. Gonna be some good time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
After talking it over with a friend, the manuals are not being missed. It's so easy and intuitive to browse PSP or Vita that it's a breeze and pleasure sifting through the digital manuals.

patsu

Should explore the bundles. There are deals around.

You can check the store on the Vita ? Cool.

You can do everything with the store on PSVita, it also runs way better than on PSP, don't know about PS3. I don't have PS3 with me right now, how else I will be able to buy games? Media Go doesn't work with Vita.

Are you in Europe? Every Amazon gives you 8GB card for free with Vita.

frequency

So yeah. If you delete a game (to free up some memory card space or whatever), your save data for that game is gone too.

The only way to retain it is to back up the entire "Application" on your PC or PS3 before deleting it from your Vita.
That's terrible and takes waaaay longer than clearing up hard drive space on a PS3 or memory card space on a PSP. The saves being tied directly to the game data/install is the worst thing ever. I was planning to go mostly physical anyway, but this basically makes it so I will never buy any full retail game digitally and I'm going to have to really want a PSN game for me to buy it.

Sorc3r3r

I think that the full DD, if the vita will survive, will be a massive feature for Sony, it's so tempting and easy to just hit the buy button....

So yeah. If you delete a game (to free up some memory card space or whatever), your save data for that game is gone too.

The only way to retain it is to back up the entire "Application" on your PC or PS3 before deleting it from your Vita.
That's terrible and takes waaaay longer than clearing up hard drive space on a PS3 or memory card space on a PSP. The saves being tied directly to the games is the worst thing ever. I was planning to go mostly physical anyway, but this basically makes it so I will never buy any full retail game digitally and I'm going to have to really want a PSN game for me to buy it.

How long does it take to back up 1/2/5GB to the PC? Maybe Content Manager rechecks backed-up things i.e. only does the back-up of saved games and not the whole game if it's already been transferred to PC before?

Zutroy

You're in the UK right? Any idea if your store are selling games early?

The live date for all Vita stuff is the 20th, so nothing would even scan through before then. Morrisons are pretty strict though, I've never known them for breaking the street date. Not even for staff, sadly =(

frequency

How long does it take to back up 1/2/5GB to the PC? Maybe Content Manager rechecks backed-up things i.e. only does the back-up of saved games and not the whole game if it's already been transferred to PC before?

I copied over HSG last night just to test it out. It took several minutes. It takes seconds on the PS3 and PSP.
I'll try with HSG again later tonight to see if it's faster.

I also tried a full back up. It took like over 30 minutes.

In any case, there are extra physical steps I have to take here. On the PS3/PSP, I literally just delete the install data. The saves are separate and I don't have to worry about anything.

Wow wtf no VT4 love??? At least according to Google Docs......

I didn't know what the online status was for that game so I didn't add it (couldn't check here at work). It can easily be added though :)

So we finished our match with some nice folks.....

hsgphoto75gb5v.jpg

Before match (spirits up)

hsgphoto92yxb5.jpg

After match (now on phone with psychologist thanks guys :p)

hsgphoto10mplg2.jpg

It was very fun and everyone had a good time.

So does this game feature full voice chat as well when playing in these tournaments?

Eusis

That's terrible and takes waaaay longer than clearing up hard drive space on a PS3 or memory card space on a PSP. The saves being tied directly to the game data/install is the worst thing ever. I was planning to go mostly physical anyway, but this basically makes it so I will never buy any full retail game digitally and I'm going to have to really want a PSN game for me to buy it.
It's a bit better than what's on iOS devices, but FUCK APPLE for making this seem to be an acceptable way to handle data. Worst is that probably makes some sense for many non-gaming programs, but not games themselves.

Sony makes it doubly annoying by still standardizing how selecting saves is handled in game. At least on the PSP/PS3 there's the angle of ensuring that you know what you're selecting and deleting when going through the save files, but here there's no such argument.

frequency

It's a bit better than what's on iOS devices, but FUCK APPLE for making this seem to be an acceptable way to handle data. Worst is that probably makes some sense for many non-gaming programs, but not games themselves.

I don't own any Apple products.
My Portable Media Player (Cowon S9. I'm a loyal Cowon customer and always will be. FLAC support!) works like a USB stick. I just drop stuff in the folders I want them in.

I hate this. A lot. As pretty as everything is on the Vita OS, some core functionality is just really bad. I'm really bothered by it. It's not a small thing and it will never be fixed since it's like a core design.

Ugh...
I hate the content manager and I don't want to use it. Ever. Now I'm forced to on a regular basis. I'm not very happy right now.

turnbuckle

Got my Wipeout and Hot Shots in the mail yesterday. I balked at the last minute on a FEB so I'm going through withdrawals on a system I haven't even played yet. I thought about returning Wipeout because of the loading times but who am I kidding? The buy 2 get 1 free deal is going to get me to purchase more launch games for a system than I ever have before.

Misterhbk

My Portable Media Player works like a USB stick. I just drop stuff in the folders I want them in.

I hate this. A lot. As pretty as everything is on the Vita OS, some core functionality is just really bad. I'm really bothered by it. It's not a small thing and it will never be fixed since it's like a core design.

Ugh...
I hate the content manager and I don't want to use it. Ever. Now I'm forced to on a regular basis. I'm not very happy right now.

return your Vita?

idk, seems like a minor thing in my opinion. I've only had to use content manager a couple times so far.

Once for transferring games from the PS3 and once with my PC to back up my 4GB memory card and restore the back up onto my 32GB. Was simple enough to use, and went by fast enough. I just don't see the big deal.

Fixed1979

After talking it over with a friend, the manuals are not being missed. It's so easy and intuitive to browse PSP or Vita that it's a breeze and pleasure sifting through the digital manuals.

I prefer these, I would have told you to fuck off had you asked me about them last week. With the easy access from the game and awesome screen it works out so well.

frequency

return your Vita?

idk, seems like a minor thing in my opinion. I've only had to use content manager a couple times so far.

Once for transferring games from the PS3 and once with my PC to back up my 4GB memory card and restore the back up onto my 32GB. Was simple enough to use, and went by fast enough. I just don't see the big deal.

Not being able to manage my saves is not minor to me. At all.
It's way slower than how it used to be. A very important feature to me was taken away.
It's a huge deal to me.

WKC for example. I created like 20 characters before I came to one I liked. I deleted those 19 saves from those characters I didn't like. If this was on the Vita? Too bad. 20 saves forever.

And you...
You make me really want to swear right now. "Return your Vita". I just... I do not like you.

Fixed1979

return your Vita?

You haven't tried added a song to your Vita from a very large mp3 collection. I was hoping to use this for MP3's in my car since my Ipod touch is fucked, at this point I don't think it's worth it to even bother trying. Thankfully that's a relatively insignificant bother to me...

Xander51

I figured out my friends list issue. My list is well below 100, but the person I was trying to add had a full list. Got it sorted out now!

My Portable Media Player (Cowon S9. I'm a loyal Cowon customer and always will be. FLAC support!) works like a USB stick. I just drop stuff in the folders I want them in.

Ugh...

I am sure this can be resolved in some manner. Simply adding folders would be an easy solution to this. I don't know why they don't just have the save data in a folder already that you can access like on the PS3. It seems a bit silly to have you system clogged up with icons for game saves. Then there's the fact you don't know which game is the system since you have all those icons.

So I feel your pain, but I do think folders or something else will be added to alleviate this. Just putting the save data into a launchable icon to view and delete would be the best solution.

Cyport

Noooo.... :(

Was hoping it might fly under the radar. Mine's still up there for now.

Ok that's weird, it's back on my orders.

I viewed Amazon on my mac and it didn't show Rayman but on my desktop it shows. Anyway fingers crossed all hope isn't lost yet.

Eusis

Well, on iOS your save files are tied to the app, so if you delete it the save files go too. Actually, you COULD delete data separately but if you did it's an all or nothing thing, not individual saves. However, while you can copy the app back to your computer you couldn't copy the data back short of a backup of everything, and I believe you have to do a full restore from backup to retrieve that save data. It's a large part of why I don't bother with games on iOS, I don't necessarily WANT those large files kept around "just in case". At least with Vita I can back up on an individual basis it seems, though it'd require backing up the entire digitally bought game for those.

... Even more reason to get stuff like Uncharted/BlazBlue physically I guess.

It'll be a minor thing for now, but later in the system's life it's going to be a pain in the ass to deal with dumb crap like this that could've been easily avoided. Sometimes your competitor shouldn't be copied, especially when stuff like that ISN'T really part of why they're so successful.

Number45

I had a few PSN invites that I assume came from Vita people, however when I went to accept them it said they may have already been cancelled - perhaps because I tried to accept them on the PS3 rather than Vita?

Ok that's weird, it's back on my orders.

I viewed Amazon on my mac and it didn't show Rayman but on my desktop it shows. Anyway fingers crossed all hope isn't lost yet.
Mine had dropped off of the main order page because they'd been ordered more than a month back, maybe that's why?

UFRA

Are we not supposed to see each player taking the shot? The only thing I could do is joining a match with only one GAF member and even then, I was playing until we were kicked from both missing the hole. WTF?

Yeah that was a strange mode we had. Couldn't see each other playing, and we had a timer running that expired before we could sink our putts.

So we get disqualified, and then banned from booking another tournament until a certain time lol.

HSG is vicious.

Someone enlighten us.

Zutroy

Noooo.... :(

Was hoping it might fly under the radar. Mine's still up there for now.

Mine is still there too.

I was thinking it was pretty much a safe bet by this time that they were just gonna let us have it. I'll be really pissed if the cancel it just a day or two before release after letting it slide all this time.

I'm really looking forward to playing it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom