• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Forked me again: They sold me a demo disc

I ordered the limited edition of Mass Effect online through Gamestop and when it arrived on my doorstep the tin case was FUCKING CRUSHED. I had to send it back still in its shrink wrap and now I still haven't had the chance to play the game.

I'm strictly buying from mom n pop gaming stores now. Fuck Gamestop.

polyh3dron said:
I ordered the limited edition of Mass Effect online through Gamestop and when it arrived on my doorstep the tin case was FUCKING CRUSHED. I had to send it back still in its shrink wrap and now I still haven't had the chance to play the game.

I'm strictly buying from mom n pop gaming stores now. Fuck Gamestop.
Somehow I doubt they crushed it then put it in a box.. Probably was UPS or whatever.

X

x2y

Unconfirmed Member
One of the reasons I stopped shopping there. Let us know how the return goes for you.

Mamesj

Banned
xsarien said:
Exactly how many people need to get screwed by "wall copies," pre-order fear tactics, magazine subscription pressure, paying a new price and getting a used disc and generally piss-poor register jockeys before they realize there are real, viable options for getting games outside of the Gamestop empire?

If the little slice of Americana you call your "hometown" has a Gamestop, there's probably a Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Circuit City nearby. You might even have a Toys 'R' Us! Hell, if you have a pulse you can get a credit card, so that opens up the online world to you as well!

There really is no reason why Gamestop needs to be your first choice for anything other than getting a token amount of money back for games you want to trade-in.

There's no reason why they need to be completely avoided either. For one thing, you're talking like every single gamestop is the same and that the big box stores treat you well. Do you not get offered an extended warranty on every item you buy at big box stores? Same thing as getting offered a discount card or pre-order. Do you also not deal with idiot employees at big box stores? have you had the pleasure of dealing with either complete desertion at a big box store or an employee who lies to get you to buy accessories for your system?

For another thing, you're assuming BB, CC, TRU, Wal Mart, and Target are on top of price drops like GS is-- they aren't at all. Wal-Mart and BB rarely have game sales. CC and Target both do clearances, but why wait that long to get your game (and you aren't helping the industry by only buying clearanced games.) TRU is better than the other big box stores in terms of sales, but they don't react to price drops as fast as GS.

Unless you are completely passive aggressive, it's not hard to tell a GS employee to STFU in so many words if they are such an annoyance. You get games at prices based on their current status in the market, rather than automatic $49 or $59 tags or at a clearance price a year or two later.

I don't shop at any B+M store first, I look on Amazon (prime ftw) or ebay, but jesus christ I can't sit idly and hear "best buy good, gamestop bad" :lol

bran

Big box stores do not sell used, demo games as new.
Big box stores have 30day exchange policies on gaming hardware.
Big box stores do not force you to preorder games to get them on day one.
Big box stores break street dates (A+)

Most of the time Big Box store is cheaper than EB/Gamestop

bran said:
Big box stores do not sell used, demo games as new.
Big box stores have 30day exchange policies on gaming hardware.
Big box stores do not force you to preorder games to get them on day one.
Big box stores break street dates (A+)

Most of the time Big Box store is cheaper than EB/Gamestop

Big box stores don't push strategy guides or used games on you
Big box stores don't push you to trade your games in for half their value
Big box stores honor disks 90 day warranties
Big box stores often give free shit with new games.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mamesj said:
There's no reason why they need to be completely avoided either. For one thing, you're talking like every single gamestop is the same and that the big box stores treat you well. Do you not get offered an extended warranty on every item you buy at big box stores? Same thing as getting offered a discount card or pre-order. Do you also not deal with idiot employees at big box stores? have you had the pleasure of dealing with either complete desertion at a big box store or an employee who lies to get you to buy accessories for your system?

Actually, no on all counts. When I'm offered help I politely say "No" and that usually sends the Big Box Floor Goon in search of someone who can't decide which High School Musical game to get his 8-year-old daughter. More to the point, a big box store has never, ever refused to sell me a game because I didn't pre-order it regardless of how big the title may be. (Really? You don't have ANY extra copies of Vice City?) It's a simple matter of knowing what I want and not letting the sales staff try to sell me a CD repair kit with Resident Evil or a - and this is not a lie - warranty with Lumines. At big box stores the liars (compelled to by management or not) are just on the floor, at EB/Gamestop, they're behind the register actually making checkout all the more difficult with their duplicity.

For another thing, you're assuming BB, CC, TRU, Wal Mart, and Target are on top of price drops like GS is-- they aren't at all. Wal-Mart and BB rarely have game sales. CC and Target both do clearances, but why wait that long to get your game (and you aren't helping the industry by only buying clearanced games.) TRU is better than the other big box stores in terms of sales, but they don't react to price drops as fast as GS.

Because I generally don't "wait that long" to get a game I'm interested in.

Unless you are completely passive aggressive, it's not hard to tell a GS employee to STFU in so many words if they are such an annoyance. You get games at prices based on their current status in the market, rather than automatic $49 or $59 tags or at a clearance price a year or two later.

Telling them to shut up does two things:
1) Lets THEM be passive aggressive with you since the guy with the sales pitch is also the guy who decides, in his head, whether or not you get a copy of the game or the stack behind him is "reserved"; 2) It doesn't mitigate other issues with the chain, such as demo discs inadvertently (or not) making it into a retail case, being sold a used game at a new price or being sold the employee-checkout game without being told. (That qualfies as used.)

I don't shop at any B+M store first, I look on Amazon (prime ftw) or ebay, but jesus christ I can't sit idly and hear "best buy good, gamestop bad" :lol

Would you like a medal?

Wow. Gamestop has hit a new low. I always hated there new game policy that lets the employees open up the new games and play them and then sell them to you as new. Now this just takes it to a new level.

I understand the OP's frustration. Its just a shame he chose to whine about it like he did.

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN.

You build a bridge and get over it. Gamestop wasn't trying to pull one on you, it was an honest mistake Im sure. All you had to do was go and explain to them what happened, they would apologize and that would be the end of it.

They wouldn't have given you anything because you dont "deserve" anything more than what you paid for. Was it a big mistake and extremely frustrating? You're damn right it was and if I was not apologized to personally I would be pretty offended.

But come on, I'm sure you fuck up in life too. Difference is you dont have someone ranting and raving about it on a message board.

Maggot9

Banned
Shins said:
Am I the only person who always checks for shrink wrap on supposedly new software? It's not a 100% indicator that the product hasn't been opened, but I refuse to buy an open box on something that's advertised as new. And as someone else said, I always check the disc out before leaving the parking lot.

It sucks that this happened, but you really fuck yourself over by being unaware.

Eb uses seran wrap and a blowdryer to shrink wrap games to make them seem new. fucking bastards.

A similar thing happened to me the other day actually. I bought a used copy of Forza 2 at Game in the UK the other day, and when I opened it up at home, the disc is black and white, and says BUNDLE COPY. Does anyone know if this is the full game, or different at all?

xsarien

daedsiluap
XHitoshuraX said:
I understand the OP's frustration. Its just a shame he chose to whine about it like he did.

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN.

Yes, except accidents like this rarely resolve themselves easily.

Vlad

Maggot9 said:
Eb uses seran wrap and a blowdryer to shrink wrap games to make them seem new. fucking bastards.

There might be some method of shrinkwrapping that I'm unaware of, but it's probably possible to tell the difference between unopened and rewrapped. The plastic on unopened games will be folded over on the ends, while in-store shrink wrap is going to have more noticeable seams along the sealed edges where the shrink wrap bag was closed off.

Magnus

perfectchaos007 said:
Wow. Gamestop has hit a new low. I always hated there new game policy that lets the employees open up the new games and play them and then sell them to you as new. Now this just takes it to a new level.

Uh, we don't have a policy that lets us open up new games and play them. An employee can get away with it, given the game is already open and there's usually a system interactive that he can use in the store to try something out, but (and I can't believe I'm defending the corporation over the individual here), it's not something you should be blaming Gamestop/EB for.

The misdirected anger in these GS/EB bash threads is always a good laugh -- hate the retard that works at most of these stores, not the nature of the store itself. The staff I work with at our EB is a nirvana compared to some of the horror stories I've heard from this forum and others. We're extremely knowledgeable compared to the usual game store dotard behind the till, we're courteous, but we still do our jobs and attempt to sell you what our higher-ups tell us to.

Aside from horribly high used game prices, practically every other service we offer or fee assessed is reasonable. $3 game disc/scratch warranties make sense for the customer who knows their family/pets/system might fuck up the game. If you become a regular at the store and the employees there learn that you don't want GPGs, they'll stop asking you every time if you want one. I know which of our regulars usually goes for them and which don't, but if you're new, you bet your ass I'll be doing my job and offering this reasonably priced service to you.

Again, I can't believe I'm defending the fucking corporation, because I'm well aware they fuck some things up, but most of the complaints levelled at them are unfounded, irrational or just plain retarded.

As for the same, tired, decade-old complaint of "new, open box games", fucking deal with it :lol It isn't going away anytime soon, until either publishers send full, complete boxes with backs for every single game for us to price/put out on shelves, or GS/EB/other stores invest in a production system that creates those boxes for us. Until then, the 5% of customers who get ticked off by the practice aren't worth the worry by just continuing to "gut" the last copy of each game (or multiples if a larger display is needed). It's easier, it's practical, and as I said, not many people are angered by it. The damned thing plays the same in your system, and the average consumer doesn't buy games to 'collect' them or revere their pristine packaging. The philosophy behind gutting vs. using a glass display like Wal-Mart is that gutting at least allows a consumer to handle a game, pick it up in their hands and look it over, even peruse the manual in most stores that gut discs but leave documentation in the game cases. There's a level of value that can be assessed in that moment that a customer can't have when they just stare at a box cover inside a cabinet. Holding it makes a difference, believe me.

fernoca

Though is kinda weird, the OP priorities regarding this situation...:lol ....anyone would have:
-Opened the game
-Inserted the disc
-Noticed it was the demo
-Remove the game from the unit
-Put the disc back in the case/bag
-Get the receipt
-Go to the store for an exchange
(In case the person lacked anyway of transportation, at least call the store [ask the name of the employee] and inform the situation and when he/she was going to be there)..

But here, it was:
-Opened the game
-Inserted the disc
-Noticed it was the demo
-Remove the game from the unit
-Take a few pictures of the disc
-Go to the PC (upload the pictures)
-Go to bookmarks > NeoGAF
-Click Post a New Thread
-Write a paragragh detailing what happened before, during and after acquiring the demo
-Wait (and answer) replies, from other posters

:D

Shins

Banned
Vlad said:
There might be some method of shrinkwrapping that I'm unaware of, but it's probably possible to tell the difference between unopened and rewrapped. The plastic on unopened games will be folded over on the ends, while in-store shrink wrap is going to have more noticeable seams along the sealed edges where the shrink wrap bag was closed off.

Indeed. As I said, shrinkwrap isn't a full-proof means of ensuring a new game, but certainly raised that possibility. And you know a newly purchased game when you open it. If you open your new game in the parking lot and note that it is scratched, damaged, or otherwise obviously not straight from the factory, you can walk right back in and exchange for another copy. Rinse, wash, repeat until you have your new copy. If that becomes a regular occurrence at the specific store, stop going to that particular store.

There's no reason for me as an individual consumer to write off an entire chain because of one location or one employee. For those of you fundamentally opposed to certain Gamestop/EB practices, I applaud you sticking to your principles. My wallet guides me, and if the best deal for me is at Gamestop, that's where I'll go.

imperium

Vlad said:

When I purchased Ratchet & Clank PS3 I noticed the shrink wrap was very loose, more like a bag than the tight shrink wrap that always comes on new games. My 1st thought was it had been rewrapped and that was confirmed when I had issues installing the game and noticed a bid smudge on the game. The game was fine after I cleaned it & I didn't bother going back to Gamestop.

Now, I'm not one of those people that's particularly bothered buy the GS policy of opening new games so they have a display box. That's happened to me on occasion and frankly it's not a big deal but for the love of god:

DON'T PUT HARD TO REMOVE PRICE STICKERS ON THEM. Now I'm not a fanatical collector that demands his games be in pristine condition but is it too much to ask that if you want me to pay full price for an opened game that you keep the box in like new condition? I've seen them on occasion put a price sticker on the spline, UNDER the plastic box covering.

But overall I've never had a bad experience with GS/EB. Sure they usually ask if I want the strategy guide when I pick up a game and they routinely ask if I have any used games to trade or if I want to preorder game X but they have always backed off when I politely tell them I'm not interested.

baruflea

Demand a full refund and an apology or threaten to do this

6ouj9fr.gif

Chris R

:lol I really do feel bad for people who still shop there (unless you don't have a local store that you can go to for used/rare games).

I feel bad for all the people that have gotten screwed over by gamestop/ebgames. The ones that I've gone to have always been on the ball and never scammed or screwed me over.

The only thing I can think of was when Oblivion for the PC was coming out and I hadnt preordered anywhere because I just wasnt interested in the game until it was 2 nights before release. So I go into the Gamestop that I usually go to, I ask if they have any Oblivion copies left for non-preorders and the guy at the counter said "I think so hold on." He pulled out an Oblivion collectors edition and then some ugly guy that works there(most likely higher up) was like "wait you cant sell that, its a preorder." The guy at the counter then said "but he called in and said that he wasnt going to pick it up and he dropped his preorder." Then ugly kid said "yeah but we need one extra just in case."

WTF is that crap? So I just left and told them I was going to Best Buy, counter guy said "sorry man" and ugly guy said "its the rules" and I told the counter guy "thanks for trying" and I just walked out and surprisingly best buy did have it, even though they would usually get new games in on the wednesday of the week.

Other than that, my experiences with ebgames/gamestop have been fine and I still preorder my games from that gamestop.

Shins

Banned
But

NeoGAF is an internet based video games message board on the internet focused on the video games industry and discussion of it using the internet through the use of a message board on the internet primarily centering on video games on the internet but not solely video games that are on the internet but also video games based on message boards; discussion of video games handling issues to do with message boards that talk about video games based on message boards on the internet are very popular?

Jasoco

Banned
xsarien said:
One day we'll find out that Seth MacFarlane is a GAF member.
It makes you wonder. Do people knock over magazine racks all the time? Or did Seth see this forum? Or was it all just a strange coincidence? I like to think Seth gets his material from GAF.

Infernal Monkey said:
The Rating Pending thing on the disc is a nice warning too. =)
:lol

I'm going to do my best to not shop at EBStop anymore. I'm sick of stickers being put on unwrapped games that don't require stickers. I demand pretty games. I certainly won't ever buy used there again. Aside from the obvious, they charged twice as much for Fire Emblem 8 used as Best Buy did for a new copy. ($20 and $10, respectively.)

or what you should do is knock over the magazine rack AMIRITE?

lafforz so funny and original

edit:
Jasoco said:
It makes you wonder. Do people knock over magazine racks all the time? Or did Seth see this forum? Or was it all just a strange coincidence? I like to think Seth gets his material from GAF.
manatees

dork

Banned
A human being made a mistake. ALERT THE PRESSES
emotsirenzx8.gif

And yess, stuff gets knocked over EVERY 10 minutes.

Mamesj

Banned
xsarien said:
Actually, no on all counts. When I'm offered help I politely say "No" and that usually sends the Big Box Floor Goon in search of someone who can't decide which High School Musical game to get his 8-year-old daughter. More to the point, a big box store has never, ever refused to sell me a game because I didn't pre-order it regardless of how big the title may be. (Really? You don't have ANY extra copies of Vice City?) It's a simple matter of knowing what I want and not letting the sales staff try to sell me a CD repair kit with Resident Evil or a - and this is not a lie - warranty with Lumines. At big box stores the liars (compelled to by management or not) are just on the floor, at EB/Gamestop, they're behind the register actually making checkout all the more difficult with their duplicity.

Telling them to shut up does two things:
1) Lets THEM be passive aggressive with you since the guy with the sales pitch is also the guy who decides, in his head, whether or not you get a copy of the game or the stack behind him is "reserved"; 2) It doesn't mitigate other issues with the chain, such as demo discs inadvertently (or not) making it into a retail case, being sold a used game at a new price or being sold the employee-checkout game without being told. (That qualfies as used.)

Would you like a medal?

Sorry you have a target on your forehead when you walk into gamestop. This just seems like one huge exaggeration. and the medal comment was lame. learn how to hold a conversation without being a douche bag.

apparently you just skimmed through my post to hastily get to your tirade, 'cause this response just makes no sense in light of what I posted and really is a complete dodge of the actual argument I made:
Because I generally don't "wait that long" to get a game I'm interested in.

I don't understand how people get completely owned by gamestop employees. I get asked two questions when I go there: "can I help you?" and "is there anything you would like to pre-order?" I answer "no" to both and that's that. I've also never been denied a game because I didn't pre-order, unless its legitimately sold out.

Jasoco said:

I thought the meme was started years ago on CAG by a member named denis d. fat.

clo1_2000

Banned
We used to have this awesome independant local game shop called Matt's Game Exchange. Unfortunately, GameCrazy, EB and Gamestop drove him out of business. Not only did he always have new stuff, but he had all the old video games you could ever want. I pretty much do Gamefly now, but when I need a new game, I usually go to BB or TRU.

Link1110

The worst is when I bought a shrinkwrapped copy of GTA: LCS at FYE, and there was a umd shell in the box, but the umd itself wasn't in there.

Satter

Banned
Magnus said:
As for the same, tired, decade-old complaint of "new, open box games", fucking deal with it :lol It isn't going away anytime soon, until either publishers send full, complete boxes with backs for every single game for us to price/put out on shelves, or GS/EB/other stores invest in a production system that creates those boxes for us. Until then, the 5% of customers who get ticked off by the practice aren't worth the worry by just continuing to "gut" the last copy of each game (or multiples if a larger display is needed). It's easier, it's practical, and as I said, not many people are angered by it. The damned thing plays the same in your system, and the average consumer doesn't buy games to 'collect' them or revere their pristine packaging. The philosophy behind gutting vs. using a glass display like Wal-Mart is that gutting at least allows a consumer to handle a game, pick it up in their hands and look it over, even peruse the manual in most stores that gut discs but leave documentation in the game cases. There's a level of value that can be assessed in that moment that a customer can't have when they just stare at a box cover inside a cabinet. Holding it makes a difference, believe me.

And that is why you, and your the corporation you work for, will never get my money again. There would really be no reason for a customer to check the disk if the game case had never been open in the first place, right? ;)

Top Bottom