• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

I know it's already been said, but no shit it wasn't cancelled. I guess if you haven't been following it's development you could buy into it, but for everyone else it's obvious it was never cancelled or anything.

Muffdraul

Then again maybe they're just not ready to do press on the game, which is fair.

Everyone seems happy to give developers/publishers a pass on this. Not me. If it were up to me, nobody would be allowed to announce their upcoming product until it was far enough along to determine its release date and carve it in stone. And they'd have to announce that date at the same time they announce the product. There's no point in stringing the public along for years. It doesn't gain anybody anything. If you're not ready to properly promote your upcoming game, then keep quiet about it until you are ready.

Kyoufu

I know it's already been said, but no shit it wasn't cancelled. I guess if you haven't been following it's development you could buy into it, but for everyone else it's obvious it was never cancelled or anything.

Yeah, it's only been a year since we saw gameplay. A year isn't very long in Square-Enix time.

I think it'll be renamed though.

Everyone seems happy to give developers/publishers a pass on this. Not me. If it were up to me, nobody would be allowed to announce their upcoming product until it was far enough along to determine its release date and carve it in stone. And they'd have to announce that date at the same time they announce the product. There's no point in stringing the public along for years. It doesn't gain anybody anything. If you're not ready to properly promote your upcoming game, then keep quiet about it until you are ready.
I agree 100%.

It's been what 6 years? SE's handling of the entire ordeal has been piss poor and I don't think we've seen the end of it.

I used to want Kotaku banned but I don't think it's worth the trouble anymore. Some people like to speculate about potential drama, and that's totally cool. I know enough by know to just close the threads that have them as a primary source in the OP.

Astral

This game better be fucking mind-blowing. It's been so long since the announcement that I just can't give a shit about it anymore. The gameplay in the 2011 trailer didn't impress me at all, especially the shooting and stupid turret section. I also really hate the character designs. Noctis' first outfit was much better than it is now. Why do they all wear black anyway? Please SE, amaze me with this game. Prove me wrong.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Pic of the Kotaku mystery source.
1510231-me2sb_large.jpg

This game better be fucking mind-blowing. It's been so long since the announcement that I just can't give a shit about it anymore. The gameplay in the 2011 trailer didn't impress me at all, especially the shooting and stupid turret section. I also really hate the character designs. Noctis' first outfit was much better than it is now. Why do they all wear black anyway? Please SE, amaze me with this game. Prove me wrong.

Mafia.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Although on the other hand, I don't expect XIII-3 to show up at TGS.

Since XIII-3 will probably show up at the FF Anniversary, there is no need to show XIII-3 again at TGS just a few weeks later. We really might see some Versus gameplay then.

Osaka15

Banned
it will be great if he showed us those towns lol...TGS 2012 I guess! Will be looking forward to it, and i hope there will be tons of new content and a playable demo. The only game I am really looking forward to this generation post mgs4....beside metal gear solid 5 and grand turismo 6, and probably last guardian...and there is yakuza series aswell ...Anyway, looking forward to new information.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Since XIII-3 will probably show up at the FF Anniversary, there is no need to show XIII-3 again at TGS just a few weeks later. We really might see some Versus gameplay then.

Right. That's the most favorable outcome anyway. I think the XIII thing at the anniversary event will be a teaser at the most.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hey Kotaku Staff Stephen Totilo I have some impressions about your statements in the thread, can I get you to comment on the accuracy of what you have said?
Hey everyone, No one is more frustrated by a story being wrong on Kotaku than those of us who work at Kotaku. There's no long-term positive for us if we present a long story cited to anonymous sources that then is refuted by the CEO of the company whose game we wrote about.
What about all that traffic and advertisement revenue generated by links and source stories that quoted Kotaku on other websites? Maybe you just forgot about the money aspect since you were just thinking purely in terms of the prestige your position as an internet gaming journalist provides...?
I'm frustrated that, after giving Square-Enix three days to comment, they couldn't provide an answer as clear as the one their CEO did on Twitter today. In this case we tried for several days to get better details and official confirmation .At the end of the day, of course, we want you to be able to read a Kotaku story and trust that the reporting is accurate.
If you were so concerned about printing an accurate story and getting a comment for the story in a timely fashion, then why was the story posted on a Friday? Isn't that the end of the business week? What a strange coincidence. Could it be that a story such as this would not have been able to be published if you had gotten an official comment in the first place? Perhaps this question is like finding out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The world may never know.
What is the case is that this situation always was murky and the details of our story explain that. Some questions about the condition and status of this game remain, obviously.
There is a huge difference between the details of a situation being murky and something like "THIS GAME IS CANCELLED" being regarded as newsworthy. Again, I guess your "mysterious anonymous sources" let you down, but is it right that you won't name them because they don't exist? Err, I mean, because it's not their fault? You said this was because the situation was murky. Can you comment on whether it was greater, less than or equal to the murkiness of your publication's ethics and standards of journalism?
the lack of many or any qualifications should signal to you about how much more confident we are in those.
The lack of any qualifications by staff and the quality of Kotaku's reports directly influence my opinion of its writing. Glad we agree there.
Thanks for keeping up with our site and taking the work we do seriously.
Haha, see, at the very least you all are always good for a laugh. Thanks for all the fish.

zethren

Banned
Good, I'm glad it's not actually canceled. Would seem an awful waste considering how long its been in development.

Now just give us a tangible time frame for a release date.

Epcott

I'm happy Kotaku brought this up to goad a response from of Wada, of all people. So, yay for that!

I'm not happy Kotaku ran it as big news to get hits, and then blames it on "anonymous sources" when it didn't pan out, instead of using restraint from the get go. But hey, they're the TMZ of gaming news not many people here take seriously, so whateves...

I hope a few images of Versus leaks into an upcoming issue of Famitsu, at least. Any chance in that happening?

If FFXIII-3 or whatever it's going to turn out to be.... going to be released before Versus, would that mean we will have another media block for the sake to not steal the lights of FFXIII new game?

If that really happens...... I don't think I can handle it this time :\

Shikoro

Which turned into "w" due to people getting tired of typing out originally (笑) then 笑 then finally just plain on w.

Yep, me and my friend are always kidding with that, putting "wwww" in almost every sentence. XD

On-topic, does anyone know Nomura's twitter account? Does he even have it except the inactive 3rd birthday one?

If FFXIII-3 or whatever it's going to turn out to be.... going to be released before Versus, would that mean we will have another media block for the sake to not steal the lights of FFXIII new game?
That's what it would mean, yeah. Unfortunately...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well, even if XIII-3 and Versus were done right now, neither of those games would release in the same year imo.

dokish

Banned
I imagine XIII-3 something like July/August 2013 worldwide and then Versus XIII December JP and Feb 2014 US/EU.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Rumor: Kotaku to be banned from NeoGAF?
The situation is murky but my sources confirm there is a chance this is a 100% true rumor. I couldn't reach NeoGAF administrators for a comment just a moment ago and I tried for a least 5 minutes. Their silence speaks volumes.
Took them 6 years to make an HD town, but they did it guys.
jump20for20joy5B65D.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Maybe... maybe not. They managed to promote Type-0 and XIII-2 at once.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I hope a few images of Versus leaks into an upcoming issue of Famitsu, at least. Any chance in that happening?

Famitsu never works that way. Everything that is published probably has to go through the game publishers. They're pretty much a mouth piece for them anyway.

No, that won't happen

My prediction is something along the lines of;

FFXIII-3 revealed at FF anniversary (teaser)
FF Versus XIII re-reveal at TGS, it may have changed name, the media blow out will be big (substantial trailer)
Going into the new year FF XIII-3 has lots of media, it will have a simultaneous release (or near simultaneous) in the summer(2013)e for PS3/360
In the autumn, following the release of XIII-3, Versus XIII media is released leading to a release in the winter for PS3 (May slip in to the new year for the west, but it will be close to Japan release)

XIII-3 media won't necessarily cut into any Versus XIII coverage, SE tend to roll out the full media coverage X months prior to a games release, which would probably fall after XIII-3 is released itself anyway

kayos90

No, that won't happen

My prediction is something along the lines of;

FFXIII-3 revealed at FF anniversary (teaser)
FF Versus XIII re-reveal at TGS, it may have changed name, the media blow out will be big (substantial trailer)
Going into the new year FF XIII-3 has lots of media, it will have a simultaneous release (or near simultaneous) in the summer(2013)e for PS3/360
In the autumn, following the release of XIII-3, Versus XIII media is released leading to a release in the winter for PS3 (May slip in to the new year for the west, but it will be close to Japan release)

For some reason I feel like they'll show SOMETHING at TGS but it won't be anything substantial. I expect another S-E exclusive expect at a later date where they will reveal major stuff.

EDIT: Also, if XIII-3 really is coming in the summer next year, I'll be sad. Then again, the sooner we get this series over and done with, the better.

For some reason I feel like they'll show SOMETHING at TGS but it won't be anything substantial. I expect another S-E exclusive expect at a later date where they will reveal major stuff.

EDIT: Also, if XIII-3 really is coming in the summer next year, I'll be sad. Then again, the sooner we get this series over and done with, the better.

When SE have openly shown a game via a trailer it's never been an insubstantial amount, even closed theatre trailers have been pretty content packed, the last trailer for Versus XIII was 7 minutes long, afterall.

RPGCrazied

Then there is no excuse to not see something at TGS. This game needs to release this year in Japan. I will laugh if XIII-3 comes out before Versus.

Good. Square can't afford not to release vXIII as it will give the franchise a bit of a reboot in Japan and revitalise the brand which has become weak. It won't be a mega-blockbuster like FFVII or FFVIII, but I think it will do very good numbers and get people back into FF after being put off by XIII and XIII-2. That it has a world map and an airship will bring loads of people.

kayos90

When SE have openly shown a game via a trailer it's never been an insubstantial amount, even closed theatre trailers have been pretty content packed, the last trailer for Versus XIII was 7 minutes long, afterall.

I can't recall but was that at TGS or was that during a S-E event?

You need more math and Latin in that title.

Sorry. S-E is preventing me from releasing the FULL subtitle. Gotta wait for that stuff. In development.

Then there is no excuse to not see something at TGS. This game needs to release this year in Japan. I will laugh if XIII-3 comes out before Versus.

Uhh.... it probably won't come out before XIII-3 and it probably wont' come out this year. Just saying.

Maybe... maybe not. They managed to promote Type-0 and XIII-2 at once.

Well guys.... that was a different situation.

Type-0 was for portable system.... FFXIII-2 was for console systems.

It's harder IMO to do the same with FFXIII-3 and FFversus because they both targeting Consoles.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
They should have made more Last Remnant games instead of FF Versus XIII.

Well guys.... that was a different situation.

Type-0 was for portable system.... FFXIII-2 was for console systems.

It's harder IMO to do the same with FFXIII-3 and FFversus because they both targeting Consoles.

Like I said in my earlier post, the titles won't be released close together, eating into each others profits won't be a problem for them

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hey Kotaku Staff Stephen Totilo I have some impressions about your statements in the thread, can I get you to comment on the accuracy of what you have said?

Sure!

What about all that traffic and advertisement revenue generated by links and source stories that quoted Kotaku on other websites? Maybe you just forgot about the money aspect since you were just thinking purely in terms of the prestige your position as an internet gaming journalist provides...?

Thanks for reminding me. The story has generated over 100,000 page views since Friday. The day it ran, Kotaku generated 2.5 million page views. So I'm not as eager as you are to declare that our FF Vs XIII Cancellation rumor story is the thing that paid for our company helicopter or whatever else you think it bought us. But thanks for the attempt at trying to deduce how our business works. I'm guessing that if you were running a news site you would just have your staff make stuff up because nothing bad can come of that? You seem to think that's an effective strategy, which is weird.

If you were so concerned about printing an accurate story and getting a comment for the story in a timely fashion, then why was the story posted on a Friday? Isn't that the end of the business week? What a strange coincidence. Could it be that a story such as this would not have been able to be published if you had gotten an official comment in the first place? Perhaps this question is like finding out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The world may never know.

This is flawed detective work. You assume that we asked for comment on the day the story ran. Wrong. We gave them three days to comment. One of the clues that we gave them sufficient time to comment is that... they actually do comment in the story. Really! Read it. It's in there. It's not that they didn't say anything. It's what they said then vs. what they said today.

There is a huge difference between the details of a situation being murky and something like "THIS GAME IS CANCELLED" being regarded as newsworthy. Again, I guess your "mysterious anonymous sources" let you down, but is it right that you won't name them because they don't exist? Err, I mean, because it's not their fault? You said this was because the situation was murky. Can you comment on whether it was greater, less than or equal to the murkiness of your publication's ethics and standards of journalism?

I'm going with "murkier'. When we have sources talking about the state of a game people care about, we try to nail down what's true and report the story. We try to be clear about where our doubts lie. You and some others here have jumped to the insulting conclusion that we fabricate sources. We don't. We had people close to the situation who told us the things we reported. We are still puzzled by Square's handling of this and are trying to untangle how our sources had info that seems, in at least the case of the outright cancellation, to not align with what Yoichi Wada said.

The lack of any qualifications by staff and the quality of Kotaku's reports directly influence my opinion of its writing. Glad we agree there.Haha, see, at the very least you all are always good for a laugh. Thanks for all the fish.

I hope I answered your questions, though I get the feeling you don't really care what the answers are.

Zoator

It's not quite that simple. Oftentimes, the exact release date for a game can't be determined until a month or two before the game goes gold. If developers were to keep the entire project a secret up to that point, the design/development process would really suffer from the lack of external feedback. Developers take press/customer/focus group feedback throughout the development process and use it to improve the design of their game. If developers just created everything within their own closed box without any external feedback until release, you can bet that a lot of games would be out of touch with players' standards and expectations.

Now obviously the situation with Versus is extreme and indeed ridiculous at this point, but in general, it is to the developer's benefit to have their project played and viewed by people external to them at various points throughout the development process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom