• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT4| Co-op Edition: Stoning With Friends

b33r

Yeah I have Apoc on my Ameno team. I pulled a dupe last God fest I still need to make. He's a good card and inherit.

Aesnath

Odd weekend. My best friend came down and we finished off September dungeons, barely. Ended up using Solais/Yog for C9 and Blue Hunter for C10. Blue hunter went better than expected A: because I had 18 seconds for most of the map (thanks titania) and B: because we had 178k hp, so there was a bit of a buffer for failure.

Bought a pack, mostly on day one, with the hope of getting some star gods (never rolled one before). Went in a mostly lame way. Keepers: Mitsunari x2, Gremory (third total), Akechi (dupe), Spica (New!), Misteltein (New!), Aten (dupe), dill sirius (new...), Dark Metatron (dupe).

So...the Mitsunaris are OK, due to just having a broadly useful board change, don't know what to do with spica or mistelein, but they were nice to see; akechi is OK. My 6* were all awkward dupes. While I have started using Aten a lot, I'm not sure if his lack of SBR and SB would ever make him a viable thing to run two of. Gremory #2 was OK, as she has two evos coming up; not sure when I need the third. I suppose I can make a sub evo metatron now.

I suspect that the meta is about to hard shift with the whole Rii thing. Look at the most recent Reddit tier list, this seems like it is going to be the case. I'm interested in what could make something like Acala or LMeta or Ronove seem much more viable. Ronnie in particular seems poised to benefit, as he has such a low cooldown skill and such flexible sub requirements, it might be easier to implement the switch. On the other hand, you either need an incredible number of SB to have something up on turn one (not really sure if it is even possible) OR you will need to stall. So there will be something to be said for 7x6 that provide a compatible defensive bonus to the lead for the early turns. Of course, we all have to roll the damn thing to participate, but whatever.

Wasn't Halloween Xiang Mei an MP card? Why am I remembering her getting a buff? Am I thinking of another card?

Also Rag Drag isn't part of the initial crop of MP dragons and got a pretty powerful upgrade. You definitely have a point on collabs in general though.

Oh yeah, I forgot about rag drag--he came out with the gentleman series didn't he? As for HXM, she didn't come out until last year, but I don't recall her getting a significant buff; just looking at her leaderskill it seems like it is the same as vanilla XM, so it was probably stats if anything.

I suspect that they view MP cards from collabs as being spoilers; they don't really want them to be too good, as they want you to roll on the collab. Monsters that start as MP offerings are in a different place, as they seem to function as a way of getting people closer to the meta (when they are relevant) or filling holes in rosters. It will be especially interesting to see if they buff out the cash-for-monster people like D.Athena/LHeradra/R.Myr. On the one hand, they could occupy the same place as MP dragons, on the other, they already have people's money for them.

Bladelaw

Odd weekend. My best friend came down and we finished off September dungeons, barely. Ended up using Solais/Yog for C9 and Blue Hunter for C10. Blue hunter went better than expected A: because I had 18 seconds for most of the map (thanks titania) and B: because we had 178k hp, so there was a bit of a buffer for failure.

Bought a pack, mostly on day one, with the hope of getting some star gods (never rolled one before). Went in a mostly lame way. Keepers: Mitsunari x2, Gremory (third total), Akechi (dupe), Spica (New!), Misteltein (New!), Aten (dupe), dill sirius (new...), Dark Metatron (dupe).

So...the Mitsunaris are OK, due to just having a broadly useful board change, don't know what to do with spica or mistelein, but they were nice to see; akechi is OK. My 6* were all awkward dupes. While I have started using Aten a lot, I'm not sure if his lack of SBR and SB would ever make him a viable thing to run two of. Gremory #2 was OK, as she has two evos coming up; not sure when I need the third. I suppose I can make a sub evo metatron now.

I suspect that the meta is about to hard shift with the whole Rii thing. Look at the most recent Reddit tier list, this seems like it is going to be the case. I'm interested in what could make something like Acala or LMeta or Ronove seem much more viable. Ronnie in particular seems poised to benefit, as he has such a low cooldown skill and such flexible sub requirements, it might be easier to implement the switch. On the other hand, you either need an incredible number of SB to have something up on turn one (not really sure if it is even possible) OR you will need to stall. So there will be something to be said for 7x6 that provide a compatible defensive bonus to the lead for the early turns. Of course, we all have to roll the damn thing to participate, but whatever.

Oh yeah, I forgot about rag drag--he came out with the gentleman series didn't he? As for HXM, she didn't come out until last year, but I don't recall her getting a significant buff; just looking at her leaderskill it seems like it is the same as vanilla XM, so it was probably stats if anything.

I suspect that they view MP cards from collabs as being spoilers; they don't really want them to be too good, as they want you to roll on the collab. Monsters that start as MP offerings are in a different place, as they seem to function as a way of getting people closer to the meta (when they are relevant) or filling holes in rosters. It will be especially interesting to see if they buff out the cash-for-monster people like D.Athena/LHeradra/R.Myr. On the one hand, they could occupy the same place as MP dragons, on the other, they already have people's money for them.

Nice rolls! I'm ok waiting out the Rii meta if that fully develops. Right now it's a novelty with some neat possibilities but I don't know if it'll stick. The way powercreep is going who knows.

Also my JP account luck continues, I managed to hit the Gachadra event. Main event pull: Edeal!

What the fuck.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So at around rank 30 now, my team is all max leveled. What should I be focusing on in order to get their awakening materials? It seems like they're too weak to beat the higher events, but the events I can beat don't drop any worthwhile evo material.

Every new player guide I seem to come across is from years ago and doesn't properly reflect what's going on in the game.

Aesnath

So at around rank 30 now, my team is all max leveled. What should I be focusing on in order to get their awakening materials? It seems like they're too weak to beat the higher events, but the events I can beat don't drop any worthwhile evo material.

Every new player guide I seem to come across is from years ago and doesn't properly reflect what's going on in the game.

Kinda depends on what you have going on. A lot of the discussion around this game focuses on the very late game and leads that can handle that. Basically ignore all of that for the moment.

Early on, depending on your lead, even the evo material dungeons can be a bit challenging. I'm pretty sure you can get someone on this thread to help you coop through a dungeon or two if you need something. You probably need to be a higher rank for coop first though.

Speaking of which, grind player xp (possibly on monday dungeon, if you can beat the lower level), until you get 30 stamina. Then play experience of a lifetime to get over rank 50. That opens up a few free rolls, which could be nice.

As for actual tamadras, they have a special dungeon that invades once a week. Again, depending on how early you are, that can be challenging. We should be getting a tamadra pal egg machine too, which seems incredible for an early game player.

Who is your lead, what is your team?

Just to get some terminology straight, since they mean different things in this game: are your monsters ready to be
- evolved (at level 50, use easy to obtain evolution material)
- ultimate evolved (can be performed at any level, use more difficult to obtain evolution material, commonly abbreviated as uvo)
- awoken evolved (can be performed at any level, use other monsters to perform, sometimes abbreviated as avo)

Bladelaw

So I just Hypered Edeal and evo'ed her to dark form.

anyone have her in JP and want a BF? I don't think I've used mine since the last reset and having constant access to Edeal would be nice. I went with a Guard Break capable team.
Edeal, Sima Yi, Revo Haku, Chosen King Noctis, and D/G Gremory.

Shanlei91

Kinda depends on what you have going on. A lot of the discussion around this game focuses on the very late game and leads that can handle that. Basically ignore all of that for the moment.

Early on, depending on your lead, even the evo material dungeons can be a bit challenging. I'm pretty sure you can get someone on this thread to help you coop through a dungeon or two if you need something. You probably need to be a higher rank for coop first though.

Speaking of which, grind player xp (possibly on monday dungeon, if you can beat the lower level), until you get 30 stamina. Then play experience of a lifetime to get over rank 50. That opens up a few free rolls, which could be nice.

As for actual tamadras, they have a special dungeon that invades once a week. Again, depending on how early you are, that can be challenging. We should be getting a tamadra pal egg machine too, which seems incredible for an early game player.

Who is your lead, what is your team?

Had to lookup what a Tamadra is...haha

I swap between teams where Ronove or Lu Bu are leaders - determined solely by what players come up as a guest and what their leader skills are.

bjork

So I just Hypered Edeal and evo'ed her to dark form.

anyone have her in JP and want a BF? I don't think I've used mine since the last reset and having constant access to Edeal would be nice. I went with a Guard Break capable team.
Edeal, Sima Yi, Revo Haku, Chosen King Noctis, and D/G Gremory.

Who is Edeal?

Asking bc I have those other characters but have never seen Edeal.

Bladelaw

Who is Edeal?

Asking bc I have those other characters but have never seen Edeal.

The chase rare from the Dragonbound REM currently running on the Japanese server. Absurd stats, awakenings, and active (Dkali board + 2 turn delay).

Dark form's leaderskill is basically combo a lot for a shitload of damage. Light form is more sub oriented (3 freaking 7c awakenings) but my JP account is hurting for good leads beyond Meri and Dath and it has no light box to speak of beyond Ilmina.

I swap between teams where Ronove or Lu Bu are leaders - determined solely by what players come up as a guest and what their leader skills are.
If you need help getting the evo mats for Ronove and Lu Bu, pick a time and pretty much anybody in this thread can carry you in co-op

Jagernaut

Got a Drahklist using a Reincarnated Liu Bei team in co-op. Any niche uses or just a trophy? Whaledor (5 sb) and Raguel (5 SBR) are more useful.

Got a Drahklist using a Reincarnated Liu Bei team in co-op. Any niche uses or just a trophy? Whaledor (5 sb) and Raguel (5 SBR) are more useful.
The real prize is that Plan has a low chance of dropping in that dungeon (who is also kinda useless, but come on GungHo has been feeding us broods for years)

jiggle

I feel like Rii is a bigger deal than Edeal :X
Meta is already shifting because of her

Kills me that I have not been able to pull her

Aesnath

Cool, that helps for context. Ronove (or Ronnie, as I prefer) is a really solid lead that can get you through the midgame at least. Lu Bu, one of my early leads, drops off much quicker. Let's talk about each briefly.

For Ronnie, just focus on color matching. You can get up to 9x just by matching four colors (with a friend Ronove). This means that your team needs to have each color represented somewhere. This includes sub attributes (the smaller color on the bottom right) that some monsters have. 9x should be plenty for a lot of early stuff and it will help you not to learn bad habits. Moreover, once you have some evolved and awakened (the little boxes on the right lit up, uses tamadras) monsters, you can start trying to make a heart-cross. I wouldn't worry about that too much now, but it will become important if you play him long term. Playing for just color match, ronnie will also pair with any other leader that gets a bonus for matching a variety of colors (typically called rainbow), such as Ra, Horus, or sakuya. At this stage, don't be afraid to mix with a lead that has a compatible leaderskill.

For Lu Bu he cares about devils and gives you 9x for each of them, some hp, and a little bit more damage when you use an active skill (when you evo him, anyway). He is a solid beginning lead and pairs wonderfully with more than a few other leads, notably red dragon caller sonia. The downsides are A: his damage gets outmoded relatively quickly (with a developed Lu Bu/Sonia team you can take down some older descends) and B: he can teach you to be "lazy." Essentially, as you go through the game, better leaders will ask more of you for better damage, this includes matching specific colors, making crosses, making combos, making blobs. I only say this as it was tough transitioning from Lu Bu/Sonia at first, as they don't ask too much of you on the board. Moreover, Ronnie doesn't have this problem, as he can grow with you, getting up to a 144x damage multiplier with a damage shield. I'm not saying not to use Lu Bu, but I am saying to practice with other things along the way, as the game does not stay in "flat bonus land" for long.

They can be paired with ALB pretty effectively. Each card hits for around 2mil from a 1-combo Dios board and much more if you skyfall green combos.

Ah, I appreciate the help. I still haven't farmed up dioses though, 'cause I'm lame. I've now rolled three of the brave 2, and they seem useful, but not quite great. I kinda wish I had an arondight, as it seems like a pretty tanky pairing with ameno (which I haven't rolled either). They are such odd cards. I also have cadabolg, who seems OK with Lmeta, but maybe not worth the trouble; I'm not sure.

EDIT:
I feel like Rii is a bigger deal than Edeal :X

Rii is definitely a bigger deal than Edeal. Edeal is a phenomenal card, but, as a lead, she isn't anything too special. She might be the best sub in the game, but Rii actively changes leader viability.

Bladelaw

I feel like Rii is a bigger deal than Erdeal :X

You're probably right. I expect the result will be more new dungeon's will have nasty floors early to prevent stalling up the lead swap. That or Hanuman style skill delay attacks >5 turns.

Shanlei91

If you need help getting the evo mats for Ronove and Lu Bu, pick a time and pretty much anybody in this thread can carry you in co-op

Sounds good. Is there a PAD co-op searchable site or something for when I don't want to bug you guys and find someone who is available? Like, Tinder for PAD.

Cool, that helps for context. Ronove (or Ronnie, as I prefer) is a really solid lead that can get you through the midgame at least. Lu Bu, one of my early leads, drops off much quicker. Let's talk about each briefly.

For Ronnie, just focus on color matching. You can get up to 9x just by matching four colors (with a friend Ronove). This means that your team needs to have each color represented somewhere. This includes sub attributes (the smaller color on the bottom right) that some monsters have. 9x should be plenty for a lot of early stuff and it will help you not to learn bad habits. Moreover, once you have some evolved and awakened (the little boxes on the right lit up, uses tamadras) monsters, you can start trying to make a heart-cross. I wouldn't worry about that too much now, but it will become important if you play him long term. Playing for just color match, ronnie will also pair with any other leader that gets a bonus for matching a variety of colors (typically called rainbow), such as Ra, Horus, or sakuya. At this stage, don't be afraid to mix with a lead that has a compatible leaderskill.

For Lu Bu he cares about devils and gives you 9x for each of them, some hp, and a little bit more damage when you use an active skill (when you evo him, anyway). He is a solid beginning lead and pairs wonderfully with more than a few other leads, notably red dragon caller sonia. The downsides are A: his damage gets outmoded relatively quickly (with a developed Lu Bu/Sonia team you can take down some older descends) and B: he can teach you to be "lazy." Essentially, as you go through the game, better leaders will ask more of you for better damage, this includes matching specific colors, making crosses, making combos, making blobs. I only say this as it was tough transitioning from Lu Bu/Sonia at first, as they don't ask too much of you on the board. Moreover, Ronnie doesn't have this problem, as he can grow with you, getting up to a 144x damage multiplier with a damage shield. I'm not saying not to use Lu Bu, but I am saying to practice with other things along the way, as the game does not stay in "flat bonus land" for long.

Thanks for the tips!

Sounds good. Is there a PAD co-op searchable site or something for when I don't want to bug you guys and find someone who is available? Like, Tinder for PAD.
idk if the GAF PAD discord is still active, but otherwise there's like a bazillion reddit discords that cater to specific needs

Ah, I appreciate the help. I still haven't farmed up dioses though, 'cause I'm lame.

Hera-Beorc is in the Oct quest list so you have all month to get your farming in. Save them until 5x skill up comes around and/or use tans. You can run zeus rush to get the actual dios or just wait for their descend to rotate in.

I've never actually used mine for anything serious but it's so handy to have to blast through stuff quickly and it's possible to run it solo for 6 floor dungeons and shorter.

bjork

Got an 800-day bonus on my alt, did a pull and got Clever Egg Dragon, Diena. Sitting on enough snowglobes to max it already, but don't have the evo mats just yet to evolve it. It looks like it's a 5X Dark lead, that's pretty nice. Hadn't heard anyone mention this character though, so I wonder what the downside is?

Bladelaw

Got an 800-day bonus on my alt, did a pull and got Clever Egg Dragon, Diena. Sitting on enough snowglobes to max it already, but don't have the evo mats just yet to evolve it. It looks like it's a 5X Dark lead, that's pretty nice. Hadn't heard anyone mention this character though, so I wonder what the downside is?
Diena is part of the Wise Dragon series. They're mostly used as inherits because their active is a 5x burst for 1 turn of their respective color. Outside of specific team builds for Gemstones it's the biggest burst available and comes with a 2 turn haste IIRC. They aren't great as leads due to a lack of awakenings and no scaling or tankiness in their leaderskill.

--
C9 is an asshole. Both Hamal and Gaia managed to absorb my damage type 3 runs in a row even though it should be random. I still managed to get through because I brought delays and a 75% shield but still it's balls. The rest of the dungeon is fine as long as you can take care of a full poison board, a 200% gravity, and lifive's ~42k preemptive.

Hastati

Don't forget u can Liubei swipe October's C9 and C10 on co-op!

So...it would be a good idea to build a liubei team then? I still don't have one at ~500 and keep getting destroyed by these floor 9 10s ><

or a blue hunter team, for that matter. I feel like I'm a year behind the meta.

Bladelaw

So...it would be a good idea to build a liubei team then? I still don't have one at ~500 and keep getting destroyed by these floor 9 10s ><

or a blue hunter team, for that matter. I feel like I'm a year behind the meta.
Yep now is a great time too since Beorc is in the monthly so you can max skill dios relatively painlessly.
Blue hunter is basically stack 7c subs with TE and you’re set.

Hastati

Yep now is a great time too since Beorc is in the monthly so you can max skill dios relatively painlessly.
Blue hunter is basically stack 7c subs with TE and you’re set.

sweet! yeah skillups were preventing my lazy ass from building a team...

I've had luck with drops on cards with 7cs so guess blue hunter is also a good way to go. he is just molding in my box atm.

Kyuur

Is Awoken Ganesha as a sub even good? I have 2 Ganesha but have been focusing on his super ult first because I had the mats available. Locks never really seemed that bothersome to me (although I haven't done top tier content) and he loses bind resist.

Bladelaw

Is Awoken Ganesha as a sub even good? I have 2 Ganesha but have been focusing on his super ult first because I had the mats available. Locks never really seemed that bothersome to me (although I haven't done top tier content) and he loses bind resist.
He’s decent on ragnarok dragon. He’s also an ok pairing with yog.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.

Just a dupe. Yeah I wouldn't do this if I didn't have two. And been farming tuesday dungeon for gold keepers today.

Bladelaw

Standard PCGF rules:
6* votes don’t help the pool
Good one offs from pantheons are a solid pick (haku for example)

Ideally you want mostly pantheon picks with a couple great 6*’s.

I know Fujin, ameno, and Yog are guaranteed picks so a vote for them is probably wasted. I’m not sure what I’m going to vote for. Probably DQXQ since I never pull her.

W-00

Probably DQXQ since I never pull her.

... If I could give you one, I would. Hell, if I could give you three, I would. My main is drowning in them. If they get in, my main will have to stay out.

Which wouldn't really be a bad thing. I've mostly just been logging in and taking care of the dailies since... the end of August, maybe? And I'm trying to save stones for when there's an actual chance at something new and awesome. I haven't managed to pull a decent lead on both accounts since Meri (first time around).

b33r

Crap, I pulled Nii in JP... That means like Meri etc... I'll not get her in NA. And I don't build my JP account. I play new content and build rarely.

Aesnath

What? PCGF already?

Crap, it does feel early...

Standard PCGF rules:
6* votes don’t help the pool
Good one offs from pantheons are a solid pick (haku for example)

Ideally you want mostly pantheon picks with a couple great 6*’s.

I know Fujin, ameno, and Yog are guaranteed picks so a vote for them is probably wasted. I’m not sure what I’m going to vote for. Probably DQXQ since I never pull her.

I don't know if that is true. I feel like this is the one where the top three picks get a day each of 10x rates. What this suggests is that there is merit to voting for something assured to be in the top 25, but not assured to be in the top three. However, this is likely to make the overall PCGF worse generally (as in, more 6*), but possibly better for snagging a specific 6*.

I don't know how to feel about the whole thing. I kinda hope it doesn't have the 10x feature, as maybe I'll just skip it. I feel like nothing in the standard/GFE machine has any value to me anymore other than Yog or maybe ameno.

Aesnath

Is it worth it to pull?
I have 330 stones saved.

Really depends on your box and what gets voted in. Last one was pretty cool if you were into dark athena, I seem to remember the one before that being kinda lame. The danger is people only voting for 6*GFE (which have a very low chance of popping out, even when boosted by 6x), meaning that you are more likely to pull a silver roll or things off godfest than during a regular godfest. However, if a significant number of 5* or even 6* pantheons are voted in, it can be a great value, as it typically features highly desirable leads and subs.

I suspect the current state of the game is going to push more 6* votes than last time around.

Bladelaw

Is it worth it to pull?
I have 330 stones saved.

Depends on your box and how the voting turns out. If it's mostly 6* picks and there's not a 10x bonus to a specific pick then probably not.

If you have a newish box (or at least missing a lot of decent to crucial subs) and need to fill it out while also having a ton of stones saved it's probably a good time to burn them.

I'm missing 5 GFE's. Dantalion, Raijin, Cthuga, Yog Sothoth, and Amenominakanushi. If Ameno is featured at 10x I'm probably pulling hard. The Arondight pairing has been effective but occasionally falling short on damage has been a pain in the ass.

Don't forget u can Liubei swipe October's C9 and C10 on co-op!
O rly? What's the setup for it? Just looking at C9, there are some BIG hp pools there as well as large preemptive hit. I'm sure I could BHunter them both but it would be fun to actually use ALB for something serious.

Jhriad

Decided to get back into PAD after a few friends started playing again. Managed to get my old account up and running on my new phone but now I've got to go through my box and try to remember what the hell I'm doing and figure out what teams I should be running. Is it kosher if I drop my Friend ID here?

Top Bottom