• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 26 - December 2nd | I got a Ph.D. in Mahvel Theory

DEATH™

I tried to get into TTT 2, with everything practically being bound combo's was just a turn off to me.

You have a Marvel Avatar. You have no right to complain.

Seriously, you have THREE ground binds per juggle in your game...

I can't tell if you're being serious...those disjointed hitboxes are always so awful looking. Characters getting punched or kicked as much as a foot away from the actual character model with what looks like a Star Wars Episode I quality karate move while the body flails about in the air like its on a trampoline. Terrible.

Hey, shooting rockets and flame blast at someone and not even doing any scratch is bad too... Marvel gives physics a bad name... I never thought rockets, guns and plasmas are that weak...

I'm just saying...

Nyoro SF

Tekken's juggles have always looked strange to me compared to other games. Seeing simple standing jabs causing that corpse-like float state is funny though. In SFxT it doesn't look as bizarre but it's fun to do.

alstein

I don't get it either. ST has lots of levels of depth. I personally think P4a feels a bit limited in some cases. I don't think it's that shallow, but can some characters can feel that way especially with Shadow Labrys. Honestly, I never played a fighting game like P4a where I can just pick up any character, and start playing them. It's really weird. I Pick up carl or Devo, and I go man what the fuck this is not a character I want to play nor want to take the time to learn. Is P4a just easy to pick up, or other games just harder by nature thus leading to more complex games?

It's designed to be easy to pick up. I think this is a good thing, though folks who like hard execution don't like it. It's one of the rare fighting games that sells on the mindgames and not the swag. Swag gets boring to me after seeing it once.

Am I hearing you corectly where you are complaining about hitboxes in Tekken? I beter hope you have the same complaints about foot dives, helm breakers, and crossups in 2D games.
Hmm, wasn't there a word before "hitboxes" in my compaint? I swear there was!

And am I also right that a Marvel player is complaining about a bound combo extender? I better hope he has the same complaints about TAC's, DHC's, OTG's, etc.
I didn't say anything about Tekken's combo extenders...

Xevren

I just like Iron Fist, what a stupid way to attack someone haha. I rarely even play Marvel, but hey keep acting the way you are.

YEAH?

WELL I PLAY PIT FIGHTER SO NONE OF YOU ARE ALOUD TO COMPLAIN

normal_Damien_Sandow_2nd_Promo_mp40015.jpg

Dangerous mistake in this thread....

AAK

Hmm, wasn't there a word before "hitboxes" in my compaint? I swear there was!

My point still stands. How is a hitbox in a game like Tekken any different from any other fighting game aside from the obvious tracking in the 3rd dimension.

My point still stands. How is a hitbox in a game like Tekken any different from any other fighting game aside from the obvious tracking in the 3rd dimension.
Um, your point can't stand, since it neglected to be relevant to my post. I've already answered your question within the last page. Take a little more time to read and you'll have your answer.

AAK

I just like Iron Fist, what a stupid way to attack someone haha. I rarely even play Marvel, but hey keep acting the way you are.

This is what you said:

with everything practically being bound combo's was just a turn off to me.

The fact that you think Tekken is all about bound combo's shows your illierate bias against something without knowing anything about it.

Um, your point can't stand, since it neglected to be relevant to my post. I've already answered your question within the last page. Take a little more time to read and you'll have your answer.

Stop sidewinding and dodging and just answer my question. Why is Tekken's hitbox an area of such disdain compared to any other game's hitbox? Or not, then at least clarify IF you can.

Doomshine

Where the hell are these disjointed hitboxes you are talking about? Every single move is connecting, the only one that is barely touching is the first hit of Hwoarangs hunting hawk.

TTT2 hitboxes don't look disjointed to me at all. They look accurate per their visual representation for the most part. I am not sure they are hitboxes though per marvel standards.

There is some weird stuff sometimes with stuff off axis and whiffing here and there. That is the nature of a 3dgame though to me, and something to learn and deal with while you play.

As the juggling. I am not a fan of long juggle combos (in 3d or 2d games), but how the physics feel while they a floating are fine to me. It's feels like tekken.

The physics on the bound moves and and the special blow back effects on certain moves on counter hit are fine to me as well.

Powerful moves feel like they hurt in tekken and have weight behind them.

I think TTT2 is awesome, like UMVC3. I prefer TTT2 over it though.

Battle Fantasia sucks, but it's still better than Marvel 3.

Kinda wish that game got a revision.

There was but the dawn of SF4 actually killed that off real quick. ASW expressed interest in doing one but it never came to fruition.

And BF can't suck because it's the 3rd Strike sequel everybody clamors for but never paid 2 squirts of attention to it. Shame.

Busaiku

There was but the dawn of SF4 actually killed that off real quick. ASW expressed interest in doing one but it never came to fruition.

And BF can't suck because it's the 3rd Strike sequel everybody clamors for but never paid 2 squirts of attention to it. Shame.

Isn't Aquapazza supposed to be the 3rd Strike sequel.

sephi22

I find Marvel 3 insufferable. What's so good about it to you folks?
1. The Characters have personality
This isn't something that draws me to fighting games but is something that makes me stay. Each character is so well realized. Everything fits each character perfectly. Win quotes, taunts, move names, teammate name calls, supers, costumes, all of these things.

2. Matchups are unclear
The tag team and assist system really throws a wrench into the rock-paper-scissor style matchup system that dominates games like Street Fighter. Sure, there are individual matchups. You can say Haggar v. Magneto is impossible for Haggar and Wesker v. Morrigan is in Morrigan's favor, but put two teammates into the mix, and suddenly things aren't so crystal clear anymore.

3. Technology keeps things fresh
Every two months there's a new tier list (even though its the same game), every month there's a new 'best team', every two weeks a new character is called broken, almost every day a new combo is discovered.
I like to keep two of the characters in my main team the same, and to spend hours swapping out the third one, trying to find the most damaging combo I can. I feel like I accomplish something even if I end up just adding an extra 10k damage to my BnB.

4. Everyone is broken
I love the Versus series' approach to balance. In this game, every character has something that seems like it breaks the rule of fighting games and is 'too cheap'. Everyone (besides Ryu) has something that the other characters don't have.

5. Its fun as hell
No explanation needed. Its the most fun, instantly gratifying fighting game I've played.

At this point I'm fully invested in Marvel 3 being the best fighting game ever made. .
I'm getting there too. If AE had never come out, I'd say SSFIV is the best FG ever made. However, Ultimate fixed most of what was wrong with MvC3 and AE shit on some of what I loved in SSFIV, so now here I stand

C'mon son, Marvel 3 isn't even the best Marvel game.
Yes, MvC1 got better stages and music, but that don't make a fighter. As broken as UMvC3 is, its not as bad as MvC1.

Doomshine

...and while we're on the subject, the idea that Tekken can't have unrealistic moves or physics because of the art style is ridiculous.

It's not even that realistic, it's very exaggerated.

vulva

Real talk though, kof13 is the best fighting game this gen. It's not even a close contest. In terms of anime fighters, though, ah3 bodies marvel.

...and while we're on the subject, the idea that Tekken can't have unrealistic moves or physics because of the art style is ridiculous.

It's not even that realistic, it's very exaggerated.

Roger and Jack are realistic man!

Yea, to me Tekken is like a kung Fu/Matrix fantasy fighting movie dealy thing.

It always has been exaggerated to me, with Paul deathfisting dudes in the stomach across the screen back in the day to what it is now, which I really like. It's goofy exaggerated aniime/kung fu fighting to me on many levels, with devils/angels, animals, aliens robots running around fighting each other with electricity coming out of hands and wings being sprouted.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I just hate some of the names.

When someone says "oh you know, Paul from Tekken", fucking no I do not know who the hell that is. I'm sure I've seen the character before but some characters just have generic ass names.

"Bob"

"Nina"

sephi22

Marvel 3 isn't even the best fighting game this gen. That honor belongs to BattleFantasia. And I wouldn't dare go GOAT for FG's. Even for me that's a scary prospect.
Battle Fantasia sucks, but it's still better than Marvel 3.
Kinda wish that game got a revision.
Are you being serious right now?
I think I got that game free from PSN+. It was so bad I deleted it about 10 minutes into it.
It looked okay but it played so bad.

Real talk though, kof13 is the best fighting game this gen. It's not even a close contest. In terms of anime fighters, though, ah3 bodies marvel.
Fuck. I forgot all about KOF13.
I do think KOF13 is better made game than Marvel 3, if that makes any sense.

When someone says "oh you know, Paul from Tekken", fucking no I do not know who the hell that is. I'm sure I've seen the character before but some characters just have generic ass names.

"Bob"

"Nina"
Names that are as interesting as the characters. TTT3 to feature Bob from Accounting.

kirblar

If you don't have good netcode, it really doesn't matter. People need to be able to play with other people.

Are you being serious right now?
I think I got that game free from PSN+. It was so bad I deleted it about 10 minutes into it.
It looked okay but it played so bad.

BattleFantasia, most competent fighter I've played this generation that don't contain the words Blaz & Blue.

And you played it for 10 minutes. Are you being serious?

BF is not a game of instant gratification. You do have to invest something into it to get something out of it.

Chavelo

Yo, all this shit talk about Tekken are just from Marvel minions that are jelly that they can't do awesome 3D combos in their game that they rely on X-Factor to win with.

Kidding, of course. But yo mothafuckas need to chill it with the hate talk. Might as well get rid of threads like these if you have to keep it so Marvel-centric.

If you don't have good netcode, it really doesn't matter. People need to be able to play with other people.

What if you don't need an online community to enjoy the game in an offline setting?

AAK

Yo, all this shit talk about Tekken are just from Marvel minions that are jelly that they can't do awesome 3D combos in their game that they rely on X-Factor to win with.

Kidding, of course. But yo mothafuckas need to chill it with the hate talk. Might as well get rid of threads like these if you have to keep it so Marvel-centric.

Let them, it's fine exposing the illiterates. It is mildly amusing seeing haters retreat to shit talking about names of all things when they know they can't back up any of their claims on gameplay.

alstein

I think Arc fired the designer of that game and she now does doujinshi. One of the few FG's with a woman as lead developer.

Is BF had Arc netcode and a few folks still playing I would be playing it, it's a better 3S.

Doomshine

"Bob"

"Nina"

Tell me characters from any game I don't play and I feel the same way.

Names that are as interesting as the characters. TTT3 to feature Bob from Accounting.

I think we've already established that you have no arguments beyond personal taste, thank you.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think Bum's big black pipe can defeat Chris G's small missile.

AAK bringing the heat, just like his name. Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Top Bottom