• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

BiggNife

Want to play with gaffers? Join Pokegaf! QUOTE TO REVEAL

yUQd0hK.jpg

Pokkén Tournament DX
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Bandai Namco
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: September 22, 2017 (Worldwide)

BlA8Gkq.jpg

Phases

Each match has two phases, Field Phase and Duel Phase, which are triggered with certain attacks - for example, landing a physical attack combo in Field Phase will cause a shift to Duel Phase, and landing a number of combos in Duel Phase will shift the match back to Field Phase. Field Phase has full 3D movement and is more projectile/zoning based, whereas Duel Phase is on a 2D plane and is more focused on close range physical action.

Combat Basics

There are three types of attacks : strikes, throws, and counters. Strikes (aka regular attacks) beat throws, throws beat counters, counters beat strikes. Yes, it's literally rock paper scissors, so it's pretty easy to pick up.

There are four base attack buttons: Light attack, Heavy attack, Special attack, and jump. Press Light and jump together to throw, and heavy and special together to counter. Hold the R button to block.

Unique attacks can be done by pressing a direction along with a button, similar to Smash Bros.

Synergy

Taking damage, landing hits, and triggering phase shifts builds your synergy gauge, which you can then activate by pressing L and R at the same time to cause a Synergy Burst. Press L and R again while in Synergy Burst mode to use your character's super. Supers are incredibly damaging but also easy to block, so use them wisely.

Pokemon Types

The playable Pokémon are split into four types, Standard, Power, Speed, and Technique. Standard Pokémon, like Lucario and Pikachu, are beginner friendly and easy to pick up. Technique Pokémon, like Darkrai and Gengar, are considerably more complicated and require a lot of practice. Power Pokémon are slow and strong, while Speed Pokémon are fast but weak.

Support

At character selection, you can pick a pair of pokemon to bring in as support. You can pick which of the support Pokémon you want to use at the start of a round. Unlike synergy, supports are entirely time-limited (attacking/taking damage doesn't affect cooldown), and different types have a different charge time. Once the support meter is full, you can press the L button to call for support. Different supports have different properties, some of which are offensive, defensive, or even heal HP.

KY4Cto6.jpg

(Click on the images for more info!)

VngnJXd.jpg

UX4aKyM.jpg

A9gIXd1.jpg

]
nsrG6dn.jpg

9p76m8X.jpg

94SW3yg.jpg

Ferrum League: This is the game's story mode. You compete in a series of tournaments to become Ferrum League champion while trying to solve the mystery of Shadow Mewtwo. It's pretty lengthy, but also very grindy.

Single Battle: Fight an AI opponent in a single match.

Local Battle: Compete locally in regular or team battles.

Practice: Learn the basics of the game and practice combos.

My Town: Customize your trainer (seen in the loading screens and between rounds) by buying clothes with currency you earn from battles. This is also where you change game settings, like Nia's voice/frequency.

Online: Compete in player or ranked matches online.

~~New to DX~~

Daily challenges: Nia will supply you with a challenge to complete each day with certain Pokémon or team. Complete it to get bonus skill points.

Team battles: Instead of having one Pokémon for a best of 3 match, you can now play in a format closer to the Pokémon RPGs: You choose three Pokémon to use, each of which come out one at a time, and play until either all of your Pokémon or all of the opponents Pokémon have fainted. You can play team battles locally.

Online groups: You can create or join groups of up to 100 players of a similar skill level to play against.

WSL4QgG.jpg

So, does this game play like Tekken?

Yes and no. Each fight shifts between two phases, the field phase and the duel phase. The field phase is ranged combat in full 3D, similar to the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. The duel phase is on a 2D plane and is closer to Tekken. Certain combos and attacks will shift the gameplay from field phase to duel phase and vice versa.

Is this the same game as the Wii U version?

It's an enhanced port, meaning it's the same base game with a considerable amount of new content. This includes five new characters (four from the Japanese arcade version, one that's brand new), one new support duo, and a couple new modes like team battle and daily challenge. It also has a number of balance changes that never made it to the Wii U version.

Wait, weren't the new characters found in the code of the Wii U version?

Yeah, but they were never released. Probably so that they could focus on this version instead.

Do I still need to unlock Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo like in the Wii U version?

No. Unlike the Wii U version, all characters/supports are unlocked from the get go.

Will there be additional DLC?

I would say probably not, since Pokkén is already a two year old game, but who knows?

Should I get the Pokkén Pro Controller?

It's a great controller for 2d games, but I wouldn't get it just for this game. Pokken plays super well on the Switch pro controller and honestly it feels better to play with an analog stick in Field Phase. Having said that, I personally think it's well worth the $25 MSRP.

Nia's voice is the worst! Can I turn it off?

Yes, it is, and yes, you can. You can change Nia's VA to Japanese or turn it off entirely.

Does this game look better than the Wii U version? What resolution does it run at?

Yes, but not by much. The game runs at 1280x720 at 60fps in both docked and portable modes. In contrast the Wii U version ran at 960x720. The game appears to have the same textures as the Wii U version as opposed to the higher quality arcade textures.

How does local versus work? Is it the same as in Wii U?

No, this is a significant change in DX. Versus mode can now run on a single screen at 60fps. You can also do split screen, but it's 30fps and looks ugly as sin. You can also play wirelessly between two Switch systems .

Does this game support single joycons? What about the Wii U Pokkén Controller?

Yes and yes!

The Wii U version had a LAN mode for local tournaments. Does this version have it too?

Yes, but the code to activate it on the main menu is different, it's Down + B + L + R. It looks like LAN play is limited to single Pokémon battles for the time being.

Why isn't Hawlucha in this game tho?????

¯_(ツ)_/¯

jYN4uex.jpg

giphy.gif

tumblr_otatonXx4Q1td9nt5o1_500.gif

ovifP0I.jpg

Review Thread

MetaCritic: 80
OpenCritic: 81

NOTE: This is my first time doing an OT this extensive, and it ended up being a way bigger endeavor than I anticipated, so I apologize if this OT comes off as sloppy or unpolished. I know there's a couple things I need to fix, but I'm at work ATM so I'll fix it when I'm home. Like other OTs, this is a living document that will continue to be updated. If people have suggestions, feel free to shoot them my way.

tumblr_inline_ntg26vLuUR1qi7iam_500.gif

Great stuff OP!

I've been playing this for a couple of days now and I really, really like it. Decidueye, Empoleon and Siczor are fantastic. I think I'll be playing this for a long time.

Woo! Cannot wait to jump in tomorrow! I played a fair amount on Wii U, but only bothered to learn one character (Machamp) before giving up. As the story goes, I just grew tired of using that system. I'm really glad they decided to bring this game over to Switch, even if I'm not expecting mammoth sales, it'll be nice to have the game and play it when I can.

Especially excited for the 3 v 3 pokemon battles. Picking a team and fighting it out like that definitely capitalizes on some childhood dream of playing a game like this!

I am pretty happy with the roster, but with a brand like Pokemon, I'm always going to want more. I doubt this will be receiving any DLC post-launch, so it's a bit of a shame they only managed to add one character in addition to what was found on arcades. I mean, we all wanted the GOAT Psyduck in there, right?

Nice OP!
By sheer dumb luck I got my copy two days ago and have been playing sporadically.
Never had the Wii U version so it's fun to finally get to play this!

Zebei

Probably goibg to try the demo when. Im done with Samus Returns. A pokemon fighting game always seemed like something that have a lot of appeal, so i have high hopes for a re-release on a popular console.

Menitta

I really hope this game does well. Can't wait to try the team mode. Might pick up Empoleon. He was super fun in the demo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Glad this game recognizes the importance of Croagunk in the franchise.

He's always been pretty popular---made a supporting character in the Diamond and Pearl anime and in Japan he had a lot of merchandise. No surprise that in Platinum the PokeDex mentions him being a "mascot character".

He's the main reason I'd love to double-dip on this but I just don't have the money right now and I didn't get into Pokken Wii U...

Tonight is the night! Cannot wait!! Me and Garchomp are ready. Been playing the Wii U version so I don't get immediately bodied.

BiggNife

Any reason to get this if I plan on playing exclusively by myself/offline?

Probably not? I played the Wii U version almost exclusively online and found it a lot of fun, but I wasn't too impressed by Ferrum League. It's a lot of grinding against brain-dead opponents before you get to the fights that are actually difficult.

ryushe

Probably not? I played the Wii U version almost exclusively online and found it a lot of fun, but I wasn't too impressed by Ferrum League. It's a lot of grinding against brain-dead opponents before you get to the fights that are actually difficult.
Thanks. Might pass until cheaper.

Neiteio

If I just feel like playing a quick match against the CPU that features maximum Pokémon variety, can I do 3v3 against the CPU and choose the Pokémon that appear in both teams?

RomanceDawn

So excited to get into this game again.

Anyone know how the balance patches that will come with these new Pokemon change the game? I had such a hard time getting around projectile heavy Pokemon.

TWILT

Banned
In for Scizor and Decidueye! Really enjoyed the first game on the Wii U, but never quite found a character that clicked with me. Hopefully those two will click (they def both look really cool from what I've seen lol).

BiggNife

If I just feel like playing a quick match against the CPU that features maximum Pokémon variety, can I do 3v3 against the CPU and choose the Pokémon that appear in both teams?

I don't own the game yet, but it looks like you can. Team Battle is listed as a single player mode on the Pokken DX website.

Are they completely done adding characters to the arcade version, or might there be more DLC down the line?

I don't think they've said one way or the other.

JoeM86

It looks like this:

split.jpg

It also halves the framerate.

You are much, much better off just playing the single screen Vs.

It doesn't so much half because it still runs at 60fps.

However, it's effectively 30fps. Each screen is 30fps, but alternating every other frame

BiggNife

It doesn't so much half because it still runs at 60fps.

However, it's effectively 30fps. Each screen is 30fps, but alternating every other frame

So technically it's 60 but it plays like it's 30? Fair enough.

I'd still way rather deal with single screen personally.

Was it ever confirmed the old Hori Pokken controller would work with this version?

Yes. In fact, the old Pokken controllers work on any Switch game that doesn't require analog sticks.

BizzyBum

Never played the Wii U version, hopefully a lot of people are in the same boat so I don't get my ass handed to me online by seasoned vets. lol

Kebiinu

Banned
Yall, get into this. The competitive scene is great, the online is practically seamless, it's flashy, it's simple to learn, every single character is unique with various uses.

It's a great game. Hope it sells well, I personally can't wait.

Poppy

i preordered this and forgot till email told me it was shipping lol

i liked pokken but not enough to play a ton, maybe this time will be different idk

prepare to get weaviled

Griss

What time should we expect this to be up on the NA eshop?

Loved this on Wii U. The 3 v 3 mode sounds like a great addition - that was a no-brainer.

My biggest problem with the original was how levelling your Pokemon up really locked you into one character. Hopefully stuff like 3 v 3 and levelling up through daily challenges will help with that.

The big disappointment is that it's the same resolution docked and portable. That makes no sense at all for me. It's not a demanding looking game to begin with. Surely docked mode should add something. I'd love to see an update that increases the resolution. The demo looked great in portable mode and not so much on the TV screen. But coming from the Wii U version it looked far superior anyway so by the contrast alone I enjoyed the visuals.

Looking forward to trying out Scizor - he's the pick of the newcomers for me. Wasn't a fan of Empoleon at all in the demo.

Top Bottom