• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X900E settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

BigEmil

I cant play Crash Bandicoot and Hitman on this TV , input lag are insane in these games + 34 ms from the tv... :(

No problem with other games...
I played those games on my old TV with 74ms and it was perfectly playable still had no issues, think this is just you not playing well so you blame the TV lol

TheBoss1

Does smooth gradation negatively affect the image in any way? Can I max it out?

From the TV thread:

It is such an awesome feature. If you've ever played and beaten FF 15, the smooth gradation option is capable of cleaning up that awful looking final campfire scene. That specific scene looked like garbage on my ks9000, but looks perfectly normal on my w900a with Smooth Gradations even at low (compared by watching the scene through youtube)

Smooth Gradations off
tx4bYMnl.jpg

Smooth Gradations set to low
u5le1XNl.jpg

Every 8-bit source will benefit from debanding on a 10-bit display - even if there is no compression at all.
You could think of debanding as "upscaling", but for bit-depth instead of resolution.
Even when displaying a highly compressed 8-bit source on an 8-bit display, debanding still generally improves image quality.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243485553&postcount=9610

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Man I hope firmware updates improve my 850D's input response lag.

It was super noticeable coming from a monitor, and greatly affected my performance in multi-player games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nice, didn't know we had this thread. I'm more or less set on getting the 55". The only thing I don't quite like (except that it's not OLED of course, but I just can't justify spending that much) is that the input lag is a TAD on the high side. Sub-30 would have been nice. I'm coming from a 40W4000, which has ridiculously good input lag for an LCD (around 10ms), so I'm a bit worried it will be noticeable to me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I got this tv as well last week. There isn't much to configure for gaming as it plays great out of the box. The only thing is to configure the HDMI settings to high efficiency to use the full bandwidth needed for 4kHDR

The smart TV function ain't the greatest though (chug when I tried to play some high-end 4k sample videos) but I have a Nvidia shield TV for that specific function.

Does the built-in Chromecast do 4K streaming? Does it work well? I see myself using that almost exclusively, and not the actual apps on the TV. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to get a Chromecast Ultra (currently have a V2).

RedAssedApe

Banned
curious if anyone has tried both this and the TCL 55p607/605. motion seems weird on the latter and was wondering if it'd feel smoother on the sony (not taking the motion control into account as i don't want SOE).

possibly just me coming from plasma?

Assanova

What's this I hear about input lag? I just bought one of these today and the review said that it was great for gaming.

Klotera

What's this I hear about input lag? I just bought one of these today and the review said that it was great for gaming.

Input lag is fine, as long as you're in game mode. It's 34 ms. DisplayLag rates anything below 40 as "Great" (with sub-20 being considered excellent).

I don't have any issue with it on mine having played most of Horizon and a decent bit of Wipeout Omega Collection. I also have a PC with a 144Hz g-sync monitor. So, I'm not saying this without a frame of reference.

Does the built-in Chromecast do 4K streaming? Does it work well? I see myself using that almost exclusively, and not the actual apps on the TV. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to get a Chromecast Ultra (currently have a V2).

sorry can't try that at the moment as my new house doesn't have any internet at the moment. Will try that tomorrow when my 1gbps fiber internet subscription got activated :p

Alebelly

I do like the Reality Creation set to Auto for PS4 Pro and PC games, it helps a lot with the unwanted blur from upscaling. I think it does introduce a bit of lag, so ymmv.

As far as settings, I just use the ones from rtings for Tv Viewing and Gaming, though I've changed from Expert1 to Warm. Just was a tad too brown for me. And I adjusted black level a bit.

Black Level: 45

Auto Local Dimming: Medium

Xtended Range: Low or Off, usually just leave it on Low

2944 x 1656 @ 120hz was the highest I could get the TV to recognize through Nvidia Control Panel. But the 120hz image the Tv produces isn't that great for some reason. Some games do look ok though, like Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel. I recommend just leaving it set to 60hz. Messing with the 120hz + windows 10 + in-game settings, it ended up being a headache that wasn't worth the results.

I just got a Yamaha SRT-700 TV Speaker Base for cheap from Newegg, they had a sale and it was +60% discounted with a code from their email flyer. Definite improvement over the factory TV sound, which I'm not a big fan of.

If anyone could recommend a better controller for the TV, that would be great, thanks!

lantus

I do like the Reality Creation set to Auto for PS4 Pro and PC games, it helps a lot with the unwanted blur from upscaling. I think it does introduce a bit of lag, so ymmv.

As far as settings, I just use the ones from rtings for Tv Viewing and Gaming, though I've changed from Expert1 to Warm. Just was a tad too brown for me. And I adjusted black level a bit.

Black Level: 45

Auto Local Dimming: Medium

Xtended Range: Low or Off, usually just leave it on Low

2944 x 1656 @ 120hz was the highest I could get the TV to recognize through Nvidia Control Panel. But the 120hz image the Tv produces isn't that great for some reason. Some games do look ok though, like Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel. I recommend just leaving it set to 60hz. Messing with the 120hz + windows 10 + in-game settings, it ended up being a headache that wasn't worth the results.

I just got a Yamaha SRT-700 TV Speaker Base for cheap from Newegg, they had a sale and it was +60% discounted with a code from their email flyer. Definite improvement over the factory TV sound, which I'm not a big fan of.

If anyone could recommend a better controller for the TV, that would be great, thanks!

Whenever the tv is set to game mode, the Reality Creation settings are always off to reduce the input lag.

Alebelly

Anyone tried Graphics settings on gaming?

rtings says they use a different upscaler between the two, but they both serve as game mode options

I can't tell the difference in IQ, I use both Graphics and Gaming modes, you can have two different setting values and easily switch between the two

native 900p games seem to look particularly rough, though I i've only tried a few

derFeef

Hmm any reason why this TV is not widely available in Europe yet? Even amazon has nothing, only more expensive resellers.

derFeef

°°ToMmY°°;243881433 said:
In Europee it has a different name.

Xe90 I think

I know, it's KD49XE9005 for the 49" for example. But still, I can only find a few retailers in Germany and none in Austria.

Hmm any reason why this TV is not widely available in Europe yet? Even amazon has nothing, only more expensive resellers.

Are you sure you're using 55xe9005 rather than finding the odd seller using the US name of X900E?

https://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=55xe9005&rh=i:aps,k:55xe9005

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XF477JP/

Here in England, Amazon, Currys/Pcworld, Richer Sounds, John Lewis, Sevenoaks and about 20 more electrical stores have it. Everywhere here.

to add on for my southeast Asian brethren, this tv is known as Sony Bravia KD49X9000E in South East Asia to avoid any confusion.

Still don't understand why the need to give slightly varied model names to each region for essentially the same thing.

Ricker

I am interested in this set, at Best Buy it seems to go down in price quite often,its on sale right now for 1,900(CAD),which is not so bad...going to keep checking on it until I decide.It's definetly not until the X1X comes out anyway so I still have a few months.

But something I am wondering,when you guys say you have to crank the brightness to Max for HDR,this could be annoying if I have to swicth it back for normal TV viewing or Netflix etc etc everytime...

TheBoss1

I am interested in this set, at Best Buy it seems to go down in price quite often,its on sale right now for 1,900(CAD),which is not so bad...going to keep checking on it until I decide.It's definetly not until the X1X comes out anyway so I still have a few months.

But something I am wondering,when you guys say you have to crank the brightness to Max for HDR,this could be annoying if I have to swicth it back for normal TV viewing or Netflix etc etc everytime...

I think it switches picture settings automatically so you don't have to adjust settings every time. One for normal viewing, and one for HDR viewing.

Ricker

I think it switches picture settings automatically so you don't have to adjust settings every time. One for normal viewing, and one for HDR viewing.

That would be ideal...now I have to start looking for an A/V receiver that accepts HDR and 4K,my current Yamaha doesnt.

LegendX48

I don't suppose there's a way to set the tv to automatically turn local dimming on/off. Kind of annoying to constantly have to turn it off when I'm not watching/playing hdr stuff.

sneaky77

Yeah it does, you can do hdr from the built in Netflix app

DieH@rd

Banned
Whenever I search for X900E on YT, results are always filled with Quantum Apotheosis vs OLEDTvMasterRace feud videos about this TV. 😁

Hackbert

I got the 55" Last friday. Great TV, gut i need to Tinker with the settings. And goddamn the Startup process is Slow. I Like Android and the possibilities , Like using a vpn App in the Background...but i guess the RAM is to Small. Nevertheless Happy with it and the screen

RedAssedApe

Banned
I got the 55" Last friday. Great TV, gut i need to Tinker with the settings. And goddamn the Startup process is Slow. I Like Android and the possibilities , Like using a vpn App in the Background...but i guess the RAM is to Small. Nevertheless Happy with it and the screen

i read that if you disable some of those sony apps it speeds things up a lot

Klotera

i read that if you disable some of those sony apps it speeds things up a lot

Yeah, I got rid of the Sony Shelf (it was annoying anyway). The last firmware update also seemed to help performance quite a bit.

A tip I'd give to really help is to fully close apps when you're done with then. If you press and hold home, it brings up the app switcher. You can then go to an app kill apps by pressing down to move them to the x icon below them. This way, you won't have a bunch of processes hanging in the background. I just make it a habit to do this whenever I'm leaving an app.

Top Bottom